Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do Warcraft characters in lore actually get perma-killed?

Like when players die we just run back to our corpse and we come back to life. Gamon even hinted at having been killed thousands of times by Orcs in that latest sound clip. So I don't understand how people act like we can kill Garrosh and he won't just run back to his corpse 2 minutes later and be like "whatever" - ? Does anyone else ever wonder about this? Or did Blizzard explain why characters like Illidan, Deathwing, Garrosh etc. can't just self resurrect somewhere along the lines?

Players running back to their corpses is a mechanic that makes playing the game possible. In the story, characters die, and it's a real death. Lore characters can be brought back to life through various means: Alter of the Storms, Necromancy, etc.

But, comparing players to lore characters isn't something that can be compared.

Pretty sure that the Gamon part runs under the same premise as their constant pop culture references as in just for the "lulz".

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, Garrosh has already been killed many times by alliance players going to org to kill him for PVP. Also, all bosses that are killed this week will resurrect next week again so we can kill them again... It's a game, how fun would the game be if every time someone killed something it would never come back? All zones would be empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighto73 View Post
    Players running back to their corpses is a mechanic that makes playing the game possible. In the story, characters die, and it's a real death. Lore characters can be brought back to life through various means: Alter of the Storms, Necromancy, etc.

But, comparing players to lore characters isn't something that can be compared.
    So in lore my level 90 characters have obviously never been killed before? Or something? That should put me on like Thrall level status because I've done some pretty crazy heroic crap over the years from taking out dudes like Nefarian to sky diving onto Death Wing and taking him out, lol.

Deleted
    Gamon never said they killed him, just beat him up.

Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    So in lore my level 90 characters have obviously never been killed before? Or something? That should put me on like Thrall level status because I've done some pretty crazy heroic crap over the years from taking out dudes like Nefarian to sky diving onto Death Wing and taking him out, lol.
    yeah, your toon has never died.

Deleted
    Because characters never die, it's just a mechanic that makes this game work. Bosses in raids don't res on Wednesdays at 03.00 to become killable for a week, in lore they're dead the first time you kill them, again this is just a mechanic that makes the game work.

WoW - Hardmode:
    Everything spawns only once and stays dead when killed. => Nothing to do.

No. In lore your character doesn't exist. All players are summed up to "adventurers". We don't have our names in Lore. http://www.wowpedia.org/Adventurers
    Last edited by WurstKaeseSzenario; 2013-07-02 at 12:13 PM.

Deleted
    It's called plot armor. Characters that are integral to the advancement of the storyline will always manage to find a way to survive. But when someone needs to die to advance the story, that person does not have a way to survive.

There is no acceptable lore explanation for players surviving killing blows. But that doesn't mean we can't come up with one. How about this?

The Spirit Healer NPCs around Azeroth are images of an all powerful Titanic being that presides over Time, Life and Death. It can singlehandedly decide who lives and who dies, based on the role it foresees them to play in coming events. Good beings who it foresees to play a role in the demise of evil beings are allowed another chance. Evil beings are sent back after their death for punishment. Named NPCs that we kill for quests are presumed dead in our own personal timeline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gameplay and story segregation. Does Gamon really say he was "killed" by those orcs? I don't recall that in his files.

Yes, if you were to be an Role Player, your character would not have died (unless you RP as a Forsaken or Death Knight I guess.) You would be part of the Horde/Alliance Elite. Which is why your character is sent to Pandaria as a small elite group. And all that jazz.

I read somewhere once that most souls can't actually pass from Azeroth into the spirit realm, which is why we can resurrect as players. Necromancy can also keep them there, hence DKs and other Undead. The stronger a soul, the more pull the spirit world has upon death, thus lore-heavy characters are permakilled because the power of their souls is strong enough to push past the barrier. This is why powerful liches still need phylacteries, and why faction leaders are killed every day but come back. Their soul is strongest during their particular plot.

Could have been fan-lore, but I've always looked at it like that and accepted it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a game...

Deleted
    Indeed. Well, technically once against the Lich King (as his fury of frostmourne gambit as well as Terenas' mass rez were both lore-canon due to being an unavoidable key mechanic). In lore, resurrection is possible but not very liberally used. Of course, this is mostly because "death is a slap on the wrist" as a universal constant would be pretty hard to weave into climatic fantasy war stories. While there aren't any rules written in stone for when or how a character can be resurrected, the pattern seems to be that stronger characters are harder to rez and require more power.

The Scarlet Crusade loves resurrections, but they're also written as spiritually weak and a bit of a pushover faction in modern lore (not to mention demon-run, so one could question whether those are actually 'clean', holy resurrections in the first place). The fact that Brigitte Abbendis, their former leader, references multiple resurrections (which of course also means multiple deaths) in her diary should be testament to that. Terenas' little party trick was most likely the accumulative power of all the freed vengeful spirits in Frostmourne (including Uther) with daddy Menethil as the avatar. In the Blasted Lands we help in reassembling and resurrecting a demon hunter through a demonic altar, which is a pretty big and complicated job for a partially-botched resurrection (he's pretty much only brought back to finish one quick job before moving on to the nether) involving loads of blood magic and three magical artifacts.

So, with enough power someone could probably (theoretically) bring back the likes of Illidan. It'd just take a lot of time, resources and power, and it'd be very visible so they'd probably be stopped in time. Deathwing... well, picture that scenario taken to ludicrous extremes.

Resurrection spells work in lore. There's a quest in Borean Tundra, Horde-side, where a shaman sends you into the magnataur den to rescue her mentor. Said mentor is as dead as they get, basically a pile of butchered meat with a ghost shackled near it. You take quests from the ghost, and eventually are directed to scoop up the remains and take them back to camp. The student immediately hits them with Ancestral Spirit and the mentor pops up good as new.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=11624

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    It's a game...
    Oh really, i thought it was a ping-pong tournament! THANK YOU FOR CLARIFYING THAT UP!!!!

I was always surprised how didn't Cairne Bloodhoof reincarnate after his duel with Garrosh - or how didn't some tauren resurrect him.
    Not only was Cairne a tauren chieftain (their ultimate in war3 was reincarnation), but he is also a Shaman (wiki quote: "It is unknown if all chieftains practice shamanism, but Cairne Bloodhoof is known to practice it.") - so he had access not only to "Poison cleansing" but also to both Healing and dispel/decurse magics...

Well blizz was never good at making a sensible story...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirox View Post
    yeah, your toon has never died.
    I think we died in the Lich King fight.

In lore your characters have never done any of those things.

Accomplishments like defeating the Lich King or what have you are always attributed to a group of nameless, faceless adventurers. Hell, due to the "chosen-one-ness" or the secrecy or uniqueness of certain plotlines you can't even claim that your character has done any of the quests that you've completed while leveling. Gameplay accomplishments are separate from lore accomplishments.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys DO realize you're posting in a troll thread, right?