Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

What if SoO lasts whole year?

I dont want to go into whole "game is losing subs omg dead", but the fact that it is losing subs is not secret. The dead part..well its far from it still.

Each expansion has had their share of very long last tiers.
    ICC and DS lasted about year, while Sunwell lasted 8 (to be fair Black temple lasted about year because you couldnt replace BT with Zul'aman) - also if you never got to sunwell level then you were stuck in BT for while..

I feel that the sub base is more shakier and trigger happy on unsub/wow-break buttons than ever before.
    Can they really get away with year long tiers anymore? Around ICC with hardly any competition on the mmo market, gradually making it easier for pugs to be alive it seemed to be enough to keep people subbed. But I dont think those things will help this time anymore - there is competition on MMO-market and stuff like next gen consoles are coming soon.

I dont wanna go blaming LFR but look, if you can see the whole raid in possibly 2nd week, or inside month of release..why would person like that sub for next 11 months after that?

But to be fair, flex raiding and the possible small patch might help a bit this expansion compared to lest say Cata - but is it enough?
    Will we see another "Get annual pass and get.. uuh.. heartstone beta"?
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2013-07-08 at 08:20 AM.

If it lasts a whole year, then it lasts a whole year. I could care regardless. I never run out of things to do, and I don't care what others think or do.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    We can play the "What if" game all day, but that is not a good reason for discussion. Now, if it does go for a full year, then Blizzard deserves the backlash they will get by losing more of their subscribers.In my opinion, the longest that it should go is about 6 months.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    They need to be carefull this time for sure. I don't think they could survive a year without any major content. 6 months of a filler patch is cutting it as well. Or their next expansion should be very great to make up for the losses of those quarters.
    I speak for myself now but if there are signs of a year between SoO and the next xpac, I'll probably play another game during that period.

If it lasts a whole year expect another 1-2mill subscriber drop

I think it's hard to say for sure right now. Blizzard said that they are trying to get content out faster and don't want static content for a whole year - and so far they have delivered on that, but for that to continue it means we will either see a tighter expansion announcement / release schedule or a 5.5.

Deleted
    Well, tiers has been very full of content and i'm quite positive that they'll be able to pull the next expansion in under 8months after 5.4.
    It's a lot but it'll be just long enough for most guilds to complete what they wanna do. Go back to finish achievs in older tiers, farm mount etc.

I'm pretty sure we won't feel a DS 2.0 where everyone finish the tier in 2-3 months and afk for the next 8 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I don't think it will happen this time, they know its a bad idea unless they give us a patch inbetween. But I honestly expect Next Expansion beta to start sometime after Blizzcon.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolol View Post
    Well, tiers has been very full of content and i'm quite positive that they'll be able to pull the next expansion in under 8months after 5.4.
    It's a lot but it'll be just long enough for most guilds to complete what they wanna do. Go back to finish achievs in older tiers, farm mount etc.

I'm pretty sure we won't feel a DS 2.0 where everyone finish the tier in 2-3 months and afk for the next 8 months.
    I agree with this but think it'll be 9 months until the actual release of the expansion which I think will be quite fine. There are people who like a bit of a lull at the end of an expansion to catch up on things and do things that they didn't have time for (hmm, maybe those are the same thing); however, Blizzard does have to break up the lull. In this time, I feel we'll definitely get the prepatch that will carry a world event (not Theramore) to help set the mood. I would also like to see 5.5 to clean up and finish the story of Pandaria though.

Doutbful. ICC was 12, but DS was 10. I imagine SoO will be 8. They want to do faster expansions, and they can't risk losing too many subs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    Doutbful. ICC was 12, but DS was 10. I imagine SoO will be 8. They want to do faster expansions, and they can't risk losing too many subs.
    The subs they'd be losing from having a long tier aren't worth keeping anyway. Hope it lasts 10-12 months, as to give everyone and their alts to enjoy it to the fullest.

To those who think it won't happen this time around, I wouldn't be so sure. One thing, anything can happen. They could lose 5 key people in the next week that could set them back months. Turnover happens. Things happen. Past success shouldn't be a measure of future results.

Secondly, I think they've already thrown in the towel on Mists of Pandaria. They already conceded that subs will continue to drop this expansion. If they need to make 5.4 drag out an extra 2-3 months to make the next expansion better, then I believe that is a loss they're willing to take. They already did this before with Mists. Dragon Soul would have been shorter than 10 months, if they didn't decide to re-do the Jade Forest and add two new zones at the last minute.
    Last edited by ablib; 2013-07-07 at 05:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's gonna be here for at least 8 months and they will lose subs regardless. There will probably be a 5.5 patch as well, but that could be a bad thing, as it would make SoO the current tier for longer.

The question is how many will they regain if the next expansion is burning legion related.

Deleted
    It won't last a year.

It won't.

/10char
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

They'll just have to accept the potential loss in sub numbers, each time they let a final raid last a year i'm guessing they try the patience of players more and more and I doubt they'll get away with letting another raid last an entire year without mass sub losses.

Here are my predictions that i made a few months ago:

August - 5.4 - SoO
    October - 5.5 - Daily Zone / Lore patch / 1 boss raid / prelude to next expansion
    November - Blizzcon - New expansion announcement + beta released a few weeks / days later, possibly even released during the opening ceremony or immediately after blizzcon, possibly annual pass with beta access again
    February - 6.0 expac

Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    Here are my predictions that i made a few months ago:

August - 5.4 - SoO
    October - 5.5 - Daily Zone / Lore patch / 1 boss raid / prelude to next expansion
    November - Blizzcon - New expansion announcement + beta released a few weeks / days later, possibly even released during the opening ceremony or immediately after blizzcon, possibly annual pass with beta access again
    February - 6.0 expac
    More realistically the next Xpack will probably be out next March/April. Maybe May.

Giving SoO a 5 month raid tier wouldn't really do it justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    More realistically the next Xpack will probably be out next March/April. Maybe May.
    Yes, but i definately don't believe they'll leave us with SoO for 1 year, especially at the pace they've been releasing patches this expansion. I can very much see a beta filled or beta hyped blizzcon

I would say April would be the absoloute latest, that would be testing player's patience, big time

Deleted
    if it lasts a year then ill unsub when i get bored and resub when something new comes out, simple.