Page 1 of 30
... LastLast
    Deleted

Wow testing in-game payments

Just found this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23226563

Basically Blizzard is implementing a system to allow ingame payments the first being the 100% experience potion that was datamined last week.

Their thoughts are that it is aimed at improving the sub losses.

Thoughts?

Edit: This is being tested for Korean Realms only/first.
    Last edited by mmoc1b73906fb8; 2013-07-08 at 07:46 PM.

the way you buy it has gotten a lot of publicity but the only thing that matters is what you buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    This doesn't really make me very happy. It'll only feed fuel to the fire of people who insist that they have to do everything that is possible...and that means spending more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    Their thoughts are that it is aimed at improving the sub losses.
    It's the thoughts of some guy from some gaming site they linked to. Dumb reasoning anyway. Why would anyone think selling XP buffs could help increase subs. It's completely illogical. It helps generate revenue.

I don't really care. It's a pretty good thing if someone really, really hates leveling but still wants another level-capped toon. People pay money for all kinds of stuff, why not offer them XP.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2013-07-08 at 03:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the idea of these kind of items being available in a cash shop. But I think by 'certain regions' they mean Asia.

I just hope this never hits the US/EU servers.

We already pay $15/month (or your currency equivalent over there on the EU side of things). The pet/mount shop already pushes it, but they are strictly cosmetic, they do not effect gameplay.

A gameplay effecting shop, when we already pay a monthly fee, would be going too far. Games that have shops like this are A) usually F2P with a P2P option and B) if you chose P2P option, you usually get free currency for the shop every month.

Basically: If Blizzard starts to add an ingame shop to all the major regions, they should drop the $15/month fee down to, say $10. It's just kinda not right to charge members a mandatory subscription fee and then give other players a pay-to-win option on top of that.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    It's the thoughts of some guy from some gaming site they linked to. Dumb reasoning anyway. Why would anyone think selling XP buffs could help increase subs. It's completely illogical. It helps revenue.
    That's exactly my thought, Blizzard at this moment in time shouldn't be worrying about how much cash they're bringing in and while they don't need to even be worrying about subs it should be their priority over revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This doesn't really make me very happy. It'll only feed fuel to the fire of people who insist that they have to do everything that is possible...and that means spending more money.
    they crossed that line YEARS ago when they offered the first pet in the blizz store

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    I love the idea of these kind of items being available in a cash shop. But I think by 'certain regions' they mean Asia.
    I think Asia wants F2P, they will get both.

Also, please note: The XP boost item is only a placeholder for them to test the system. We have no clue what they are actually going to be selling.

Quote Originally Posted by benadryl View Post
    they crossed that line YEARS ago when they offered the first pet in the blizz store

Pets are cosmetic, and do not effect gameplay....even when it comes to pet battles, that is all a side game and has no impact on the actual game itself. (And this wasn't even in the game when they first implemented the pet store.)
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    It's the thoughts of some guy from some gaming site they linked to. Dumb reasoning anyway. Why would anyone think selling XP buffs could help increase subs. It's completely illogical. It helps generate revenue.

I don't really care. It's a pretty good thing if someone really, really hates leveling but still wants another level-capped toon. People pay money for all kinds of stuff, why not offer them XP.
    It doesn't stop with 1 feature. It never does.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope i can buy these for my alts
    Do we know how long they last or if its 1use, like the 1 from rare mob Krul the Blade thats 1 charge and 1hour?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

asia's laws make this harder than the EU/US laws. the RMAH didn't make it into most asian clients of D3 because the courts there considered it gambling. it's the reason D3 release was pushed back. it's why morhaime went over there himself.

the cash shop is a US/EU thing and has been for years. a potion that lets you level faster from 85-90 is just like an heirloom. if you're employed it probably takes you longer to get all those JP/HP than it does to make the $5 this will probably cost.

i see nothing wrong with this since we LET them put pets/mounts in the shop, or allowed all those name changes, transfers, etc

the time to bitch was YEARS ago and it's pointless now. the only thing you have the right to cry about is if they sell end-level gear

10+ Year Old Account
    asia's laws make this harder than the EU/US laws. the RMAH didn't make it into most asian clients of D3 because the courts there considered it gambling. it's the reason D3 release was pushed back. it's why morhaime went over there himself.

the cash shop is a US/EU thing and has been for years. a potion that lets you level faster from 85-90 is just like an heirloom. if you're employed it probably takes you longer to get all those JP/HP than it does to make the $5 this will probably cost.

i see nothing wrong with this since we LET them put pets/mounts in the shop, or allowed all those name changes, transfers, etc

the time to bitch was YEARS ago and it's pointless now. the only thing you have the right to cry about is if they sell end-level gear
    Well that's good then, I'll be glad to be able to level a bit faster. And I'd definitely not be the one crying if they sell end-game gear; I'd be first in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Also, please note: The XP boost item is only a placeholder for them to test the system. We have no clue what they are actually going to be selling.

Pets are cosmetic, and do not effect gameplay....even when it comes to pet battles, that is all a side game and has no impact on the actual game itself. (And this wasn't even in the game when they first implemented the pet store.)
    you folks aren't even smart enough to know what people mean when they say something about how cash shops negatively affect gameplay. they're not talking about how fast you bypass old content while leveling. the ONLY way is when they offer gear/weps for end-cap. short of that, it's not affecting your gameplay at all.
    if an xp potion that speeds up 85-90 hurts your pure heart, then the THOUSANDS of people who bot, the MILLIONS who use heirlooms, they are killing you right now, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's good then, I'll be glad to be able to level a bit faster. And I'd definitely not be the one crying if they sell end-game gear; I'd be first in line.
    i'd quit. pay to win games aren't fun.

you folks aren't even smart enough to know what people mean when they say something about how cash shops negatively affect gameplay. they're not talking about how fast you bypass old content while leveling. the ONLY way is when they offer gear/weps for end-cap. short of that, it's not affecting your gameplay at all.
    if an xp potion that speeds up 85-90 hurts your pure heart, then the THOUSANDS of people who bot, the MILLIONS who use heirlooms, they are killing you right now, right?
    1) Selling XP boost items effects gameplay directly.
    2) It won't stop there, they very well may move onto selling gear. THAT is the big fear.
    3) We pay $15 a month already, we shouldn't have to pay more cash to speed up leveling. This should simply be implemented into the game itself (ie: Heirlooms), or drop our subscription fee down.
    4) For now it would be 85-90...but what is to stop them from making 90-95 a horribly long tedious task unless you buy these xp boosts, hmm? Many games that offer an item like this do just that.

blizzard went full retard. Never go full retard.

You either have sub fee or you have a system like League of legends, you can't have both. As I see it, playing on private servers will be a better deal since its free ROFL

10+ Year Old Account
    Zarhym's tweet (or was it a forum post?) last week on the matter implied it was only for specific regions where their sub model is different.

So you're likely getting upset over nothing.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

WoW is already on a slippery slope by being like one of the extremely few sub based MMO's that can sustain themselves. The slope will be even more slippery if they add a "cash shop". Quotations there since there already is a cash shop. The B.net store.

I seriously doubt they'll try this shit in NA. People will lynch them with pay to win hashtags.

This is very bad for the game, not only is Blizzard once again allowing players to basically skip through content by buying their way through it but it opens the door for more pay to win items. Before blizzard said it would only be pets and guess what we can buy xp now are we to believe Blizz won't allow people to buy gear in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The only lies here are the bullshit coming from you. RBG appears to be immortal.