Poll: Opinion Game Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't care. I don't want to buy items so I won't. No sense in bitching about it...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard sponsored paid Powerleveling services.

A paid 100% XP bonus is a clever way of Blizzard selling Powerleveling services without calling it that. It's very simple. They want to start finding ways to make all the money that Powerleveling services and gold selling companies make. Such experiments include this and previously the BoE in-game pet from last year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe in the future; if it performs well enough in its test markets to pull in more than they do with subs they could consider free-play with the ingame store to float their revenue stream in conjunction with out-of-game services on b.net. Otherwise, not unless the subs dip enough to require a free-play transition to remain afloat.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    "If some is good, then more must be better. "

If/When this works, then Blizz will turn to P2W.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I never understood that "money grubbing" argument, because last time I checked I could well control my spending habbits and I don't care in the least bit if somebody else cannot. Just like I don't care how somebody esel plays a game to find enjoyment.

Apart from that: Have you considered that they looked at SW:ToR and saw how that crashed and burned and they plan long ahead and see that WoW will one day HAVE to go F2P and then they will NEED an ingame store? They already announced they expect another big sub loss by the end of the year.
    If they go F2P then I'm more than willing to accept a cash shop. I'm speaking strictly from the situation of a subscription AND cash shop.

I thnk that it is unacceptable for an in-game store to exist in World of WarCraft, since it is a subscription-based game.

We already pay in order to be able to play the game, on a continuous base. Officially, the subscription grants us access to the servers of the game. But in essense, it is what fuels money to its creators, to make profit off and invest back to the game by maintaining it and developing further content; as well as fund their other games in development.

I understand the need for in-game stores in free-to-play games, or games that you have to pay in order to play only once. And I know that we live in an age when people are taught and pressured to become passive, just accept things and go with the flow, as well as get rid of empathy, consideration, and creative thinking. We are molded to be good just as much as we need to get by for school or work, and just accept everything else. We are shaped into moronic-humans, and thus moronic-customers; rarely ever trying to secure our rights, and even giving them up freely to seem cool to others: "Of course and it's awesome to have an in-game store. I got money. I can pay. It's not my fault you are poor and stupid". As if money is the issue. Not ethics, or the fact that you are taken for a ride like the nice victim that you are. Chicken willing and anxious to be plucked indeed.

An in-game store in World of WarCraft, as it is in Europe and America, is unacceptable. To me it is bordering on theft; and is certainly unethical. If it is ever brought in Europe, as much as it may distress me, I will consider stopping to play the game. I love World of WarCraft, I love WarCraft, and I have, even now, quite some respect for Blizzard. But I don't think I would be able to make excuses in my mind for something so unethical. And yes, to me it would be unethical. Companies try to make profit. But there should be limits to those attempts. There is a line after which, a company is not merely trying to make a good profit, but drowns in greed. Greed, not maximising profits. And Blizzard, at least in the past, stood for something more than just money-making: http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/about/mission.html

"Lead Responsibly"

"Our products and practices can affect not only our employees and players -- but the industry at large. As one of the world’s leading game companies, we’re committed to making ethical decisions, always keeping our players in mind, and setting a strong example of professionalism and excellence at all times."

"Ethical decisions" "Example of excellence" How can someone ever combine that, with ripping off your own players in such a disgusting way?

I wouldn't have it beyond most videogame companies to be greedy little shits. That's what they are after all. Lead by people that are not gamers, but "executives". Just excuses of people that are cosnumed by their greed, wearing fancy titles and worrying about bonuses and how to "live the life". But not Blizzard. I hope not Blizzard. Only the future will tell of course, but I hope they reward my trust in them.

Offering convenience for money is not an ethical debate. I mean, By your very example offering mounts for money is unethical. Do you honestly believe that? Or does the fact that the store is coming in the game itself what makes the decision unethical.

here's the thing. THERE ARE ALREADY XP BUFFS IN THE GAME ITSELF. you just need to spend justice points on heirlooms or farm rare mobs. Nothing that has been put on the table isn't already available in the game. It may come in different forms (i.e. different types of mounts) but monetizing a game that is made by a for-profit company is the very definition of business ethical.

I cannot believe the level of hyperbole in this thread.
    An in-game store in World of WarCraft, as it is in Europe and America, is unacceptable. To me it is bordering on theft; and is certainly unethical
    It is most certainly none of those things. They aren't taking anything from you. They are offering a choice.

Please stop acting like your subscription entitles you to every conceivable feature in wow. I'm a casual player and I don't lose my mind that people have access to heroic content and I don't. I don't care that people who went to blizzcon have extra pets and I don't . Those are all choices I have made to exclude myself from content. I don't have every store mount and game and I still get to enjoy my 15 bucks a month worth of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I'm 100% fine with it happening. Makes zero difference to me, not like there will be anything game breaking in there. If people want to buy lesser charms instead of farming them, or buy a potion to level faster, that's fine by me why should I care? Even if they sell transmog gear, makes no difference to me. Only becomes a problem if they sell PvP gear, anything else is largely irrelevant. Hell, even selling PvE gear hardly matters unless it's being sold at the beginning of the tier, since that will mess with world firsts, but like if they sell the ToT raid gear in 5.4 I wouldn't even care, makes no difference to me.
    So people were all up in arms over dailies and having to farm them for charms, but you're ok with being able to buy them with real money?? What on earth kind of horrible logic is that? THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE. Both of those methods for acquiring charms/loot are awful but the one requiring real money on top of a monthly sub fee is by far the most heinous.

Instead of thinking up progressively worse and worse "Band-Aid" fixes to their crappy game design, Blizz should be fixing the core issue: that dailies are a terrible design decision and a new ground breaking/fun method needs to be introduced in game to acquire these things. Granted you can get them as drops doing other activities but dailies are by far the most efficient route. They most definitely don't need to just throw up their hands in defeat and offer the rewards in a cash shop -_-. Come on people, lets be a lil smarter about our disposable income and vested interest in WoW.
    Last edited by Donair; 2013-07-10 at 04:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You Are jumping to conclusions OP

This is a good thing for wow, it means people are still interested in the game and its development.

Not all Asian mmo's have shops, and not all games with shops sell power most sell cosmetic stuff, and Guild wars 2 lets you convert in game gold to cash shop Gems.

So if wow had it set up like guild wars 2 or league of legends then id be ok with it, even if it sold exp buffs and skins.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That's an unwarranted generalization and defining the behavior of 'casual players' in ways that may or may not have validity.

You did though. Right there in the boldfaced part. You might not have meant to but you surely said that. I could say something like 'a casual player is not likely to have any alts' which is ridiculous on the face of it. And the plain fact is that many casual players who have alts may well be in a rush to get to 90. Especially if they've done it a few times already.
    Where did I say "ALL" casual players as the Holyground claimed I did? Honestly it is getting tiresome that you constantly try to twist what I say.

What motivation is there for a casual player to spend money in order so they can get to running raid finder a little quicker? You know full well I did not say all casuals would not buy this and it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the more hardcore player is more likely to buy this.
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-07-10 at 07:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    You Are jumping to conclusions OP

This is a good thing for wow, it means people are still interested in the game and its development.

Not all Asian mmo's have shops, and not all games with shops sell power most sell cosmetic stuff, and Guild wars 2 lets you convert in game gold to cash shop Gems.

So if wow had it set up like guild wars 2 or league of legends then id be ok with it, even if it sold exp buffs and skins.
    The Itemization System of GW2 is completely different to WoW. The Convert of Gold to Blizzard Balance will hurt the market and obviously giving a willing customer a paid advance. Something like that is a no-go for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't allow you to buy things that make the game easier or give you an advantage. It would ruin the whole point.

I came to WoW to get away from all the micro-transactions 'Free to Play' (aka Pay to Win) games.

Why only about half of people here find the store idea on top of the current subscription fees sodding absurd, I don't even.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Casual gamers are the largest dividend of players in the game.
    During the conference call last August one of the major investors asked Blizzard why they are gearing their game towards casuals when Nintendo, Facebook and other firms suffered as a result. Casuals are like locust they are a bad investment in the long turn. Their short attention span can't sustain a game like World of Warcraft and the 4 million sub drop in last 8 months is a clear indication of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloun View Post
    I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't allow you to buy things that make the game easier or give you an advantage. It would ruin the whole point.
    So buying lesser charms for cash to double the chance to get decked in the best items available in the game is no advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwsntmilk View Post
    So buying lesser charms for cash to double the chance to get decked in the best items available in the game is no advantage?
    I believe players will still be limited to 3 Elder Charms a week. However, I also deem an EXP boost definitely one of the "things that make the game easier or give you an advantage".

Quote Originally Posted by Syio View Post
    I believe players will still be limited to 3 Elder Charms a week.
    Conquest points also have a weekly limit. You get them even if you lose Arena/RBG so would you be okay with Blizzard selling Conquest points? I mean the reasoning is the same; I am too lazy to work for rewards so sell the rewards to me.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-07-10 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syio View Post
    I believe players will still be limited to 3 Elder Charms a week.
    People are limited to loot every boss per difficulty once per week, would it be ok if they sell the chance for loot for every boss per difficulty once per week for some cash (without needing to kill them)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Conquest points also have a weekly limit. You get them even if you lose Arena/RBG so would you be okay with Blizzard selling Conquest points? I mean the reasoning is the same; I am too lazy to work for rewards so sell the rewards to me.
    I never mentioned ever being okay with that. I was merely speculating with him on the point of 'buying lesser charms for cash to double the chance to get decked in the best items available in the game'.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwsntmilk View Post
    People are limited to loot every boss per difficulty once per week, would it be ok if they sell the chance for loot for every boss per difficulty once per week for some cash (without needing to kill them)?
    Not to me, no. I don't even think the EXP boost being sold is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I'm 100% fine with it happening. Makes zero difference to me, not like there will be anything game breaking in there. If people want to buy lesser charms instead of farming them, or buy a potion to level faster, that's fine by me why should I care? Even if they sell transmog gear, makes no difference to me. Only becomes a problem if they sell PvP gear, anything else is largely irrelevant. Hell, even selling PvE gear hardly matters unless it's being sold at the beginning of the tier, since that will mess with world firsts, but like if they sell the ToT raid gear in 5.4 I wouldn't even care, makes no difference to me.
    I am afraid you don't get how close selling charms (and possibly later on conquest points) is to selling PVP/PVE gear.

Buy charms instead of doing quests to farm them. => Buy gear (or the chance for gear) instead of killing bosses.