Thread: Stat confusion.

Stat confusion.

Okay, so hopefully someone can shed some light on this subject.

I've been bouncing back and forth between reforges and regems for awhile now, and ive hit what probably will be near optimum for my raiding group until the next patch (ilvl 535) so im trying to settle my stats.

I've run a simcraft, and the stat weight results between doing 10k iterations are rather different then doing a 25k iteration run.

So let me just ask some flat questions.

for Destruction, is 10% mastery going to do exactly that 5% more damage then 5% crit?
    If chaos bolt is boosted by a flat percentage of mastery then why am i not just looking for whatever reforge brings me the higher percentage of the two numbers?

I've been using ask mr robot and entering in custom weights but they seem to change from one extreme to another so quickly and i feel like im wasting gold without some solid information.

If it helps this is my current setup:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Shodan/simple
    and i just got tier 15 robe, so was looking to swap that out. (upgraded to 530).

Also, as an aside. Does anyone have any kind of solid impression of what 4piece tier set bonus is worth? I have the tier gloves but have a thunderforged gloves in the slot so am leaning tward thinking ill just do without 4 piece unless i can get a shoulder tier drop (which has eluded me so far). The bonus seems kinda crappy anyway.

You have to think beyond flat increases, what does the stats actually do and how does it affect you in combat? Remember that haste and crit are stats used to fuel your hard-hitters whilst mastery increases the value of them, the stat weights will vary greatly depending on eachother.

Use Chardev profiles to simulate gear/stat changes for free. Also, remember that simcraft doesn't give a good fight-perspective in regards to stats, so much weighing in, especially as destruction. In ToT I would suggest maxing mastery with haste as secondary priority if you want to use another off-spec.
    Thazzle, Warlock in <Sanitas> on Frostwhisper-EU, World #3 10man guild.
    Sanitas Guild Website
    Main Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    4 piece is nice but definitely not worth it at higher gear levels (530+). 2 piece with thunderforged off-pieces will be the route to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coogz View Post
    4 piece is nice but definitely not worth it at higher gear levels (530+). 2 piece with *HEROIC THUNDERFORGED* off-pieces will be the route to go.
    i adjusted that to make sure there wasnt any confusion...as far as the OP go's for throne of thunder mastery is best over all due to the amount of fights with adds and muti target thats the way i had went before i got the lei shen trinket and switched to demo full time there is a very great destro guide sticky that will give you roughly 90 pages of ppl asking/answering similar questions ...also its best to just grab 2pc while grabbing off pieces when you can and its only worth dropping tier pieces all together when you can get the heroic thunderforged pieces off ra-den ...durumu..jin rok and others..till then your tier will be better

Hey Shodan, I'm from Ask Mr. Robot. I have a few pieces of feedback:

1. T15 4pc bonus: we run simulations to determine the value. For destruction, we equate it to about 2,000 Spell Power (600 SP for Demo and 4,500 for Affliction).

2. SimC: A good thing to do with SimC is to grab the stat weights and put them into AMR (which you already did). Then, click optimize on AMR and then click the export button. Export that setup to SimC. Did it do more DPS? Continue doing this cycle until you get to the highest DPS - then use the weights you had on EXPORT (not the new weights SimC gives you). You see - SimC gives you weights for your current gear. But that doesn't always get you to where you want to go. It's similar to what Clevix said - think of the stat weights as how you want them to affect your gear and optimizations. Here's more info on exporting to SimC.
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

Oh i know my desires and playstyles have more to do with my choices then the numbers. I just feel that when i start getting into 25-30% haste/crit im reaching into a deminishing returns situation. and its hard to see when i click optimize things like 'lose 8% of haste in exchange for 30% of mastery' and not think im doing something wrong. Zoopercat, one thing i would suggest you add to ask mr robot would be the ability to 'lock in' certain current stats, swap out one or two pieces of equipment, then recalculate the optimization to try and only improve those stats without redoing the entire thing.
    For instance, right now if im focused on haste and im happy where my crit is right now, and dont care about my mastery, yet the optimize button wants me to dump everything into mastery, i lock in haste and crit, swap out a piece that adds a bunch of hit on it so im over my cap, then i want the program to give me the cap of hit with as minimum overage as possible, and put any extras into haste and crit as possible, mastery as a third dump option.

Or alternately, you could simply pre design default optimization for all possible sequenes
    haste > crit > mastery
    crit > haste > mastery
    mastery > crit > haste
    crit > mastery > haste
    mastery > haste > crit
    haste > mastery > crit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    Oh i know my desires and playstyles have more to do with my choices then the numbers. I just feel that when i start getting into 25-30% haste/crit im reaching into a deminishing returns situation. and its hard to see when i click optimize things like 'lose 8% of haste in exchange for 30% of mastery' and not think im doing something wrong. Zoopercat, one thing i would suggest you add to ask mr robot would be the ability to 'lock in' certain current stats, swap out one or two pieces of equipment, then recalculate the optimization to try and only improve those stats without redoing the entire thing.
    For instance, right now if im focused on haste and im happy where my crit is right now, and dont care about my mastery, yet the optimize button wants me to dump everything into mastery, i lock in haste and crit, swap out a piece that adds a bunch of hit on it so im over my cap, then i want the program to give me the cap of hit with as minimum overage as possible, and put any extras into haste and crit as possible, mastery as a third dump option.

Or alternately, you could simply pre design default optimization for all possible sequenes
    haste > crit > mastery
    crit > haste > mastery
    mastery > crit > haste
    crit > mastery > haste
    mastery > haste > crit
    haste > mastery > crit
    haste and mastery are alot more valuable than crit...if your gonna be doing aoe then.. mastery-haste-crit...single target...haste-mastery-crit.