Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    Take twitch streams for example like Towellie whos every day job is streaming and providing excitement and entertainment for the gaming community. If all of a sudden his yearly income went from $50,000 down to $10,00 a year, he can no longer support himself or his family all because you didn't feel like watching a 15 or 30 second advertisement.
    Stopped reading. Sorry, maybe try getting a real fucking job instead of relying on people to watch you play video games as your sole source of income. No, I don't have 15 or 30 seconds to watch that ad because I work 8 hours a day. Maybe he should have to do the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    adblock for president, hell, would even do a better job then obama!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    No you don't. I was in accounting before I went on for my MBA/JD...I don't recommended a JD either :P Go into programming/web development/etc, wish I had done that.

Funny originally I intended t go into web development, did pretty well at in college, but just lost interest in it and couldn't bring myself to do it anymore. I often think about picking it back up, but aside from HTML and some CSS I can't really remember much D:
    So I planned on going to study accounting next year, did a side coure in college of business and accounting, passed with top marks and surprisingly enjoyed it. Dont put me off it now!
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    Funny originally I intended t go into web development, did pretty well at in college, but just lost interest in it and couldn't bring myself to do it anymore. I often think about picking it back up, but aside from HTML and some CSS I can't really remember much D:
    So I planned on going to study accounting next year, did a side coure in college of business and accounting, passed with top marks and surprisingly enjoyed it. Dont put me off it now!
    Lol. Okay I won't, if you enjoy it and are good at it then go for it Also looks like you're in the UK? I've heard quality of life is better there for accountants, not as overworked in comparison to the US.

Also Australian accountants are in a pretty good position, from what I've heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I felt that way until recently. I have had my allotment of intrusive ads I am going to be installing ad block. I wear headphones a lot of the time while I'm just browsing. The worst thing ever is a loud and completely unexpected advertisement in my ear. It scares me and pissed me off lol.

Heh I don't use ad block mainly because I don't care. Ads never really bother me. I either skip or down right ignore them. They amuse me on TV though. Having the same commercial 5-6 times in a row really makes me laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    Stopped reading. Sorry, maybe try getting a real fucking job instead of relying on people to watch you play video games as your sole source of income. No, I don't have 15 or 30 seconds to watch that ad because I work 8 hours a day. Maybe he should have to do the same.
    Sorry but that IS a "real" job. It may be "lol all he does is vida games!11" but enough people find him entertaining and because of that he can get ad revenue among other sources. By that logic a comedian shouldn't be a real job. They need to stop relying on people to watch/listen to them tell jokes and work for a living.
    that being said. I don't care about ad-blocking. If my first post didn't get that across =D.
    Last edited by Binary Speaker; 2013-07-12 at 02:23 AM.
    It has been scientifically confirmed that if Eiffel was green; he would in fact die.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary Speaker View Post
    Heh I don't use ad block mainly because I don't care. Ads never really bother me. I either skip or down right ignore them. They amuse me on TV though. Having the same commercial 5-6 times in a row really makes me laugh.
    Wiped once due to fucking noisy ads that got cycled into a tab on my browser somewhere in the background. The RL called out for me to use devotion aura, which I didn't hear (thank you ad) and 3 people got 1-shot. It's these type of ads that mainly do my head in, together with all the pop-ups, pop-unders and malicious ads that are out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    Wiped once due to fucking noisy ads that got cycled into a tab on my browser somewhere in the background. The RL called out for me to use devotion aura, which I didn't hear (thank you ad) and 3 people got 1-shot. It's these type of ads that mainly do my head in, together with all the pop-ups, pop-unders and malicious ads that are out there!
    Oh I know they can be obnoxious if you really need to focus and I'm not belittling anyone who uses ad-block. Just trying to get a sort of a differing opinion across =D
    It has been scientifically confirmed that if Eiffel was green; he would in fact die.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary Speaker View Post
    Oh I know they can be obnoxious if you really need to focus and I'm not belittling anyone who uses ad-block. Just trying to get a sort of a differing opinion across =D
    Fair enough, not all ads are that bad either. I don't mind static banners and websites that have very limited ads on them (provided that they're not noisy, flashy, moving, virusses, etc.). It's just these type of things that make me use Adblocker

Quote Originally Posted by saidolol View Post
    adblock for president, hell, would even do a better job then obama!
    Nah people would U-turn and cry that it is censorship and brand ad block fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    The real question is.. do I honestly care?
    I will proceed to be selfish and roll with an adblock, because it benefits me.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, there's really not much point in debating with me because I won't change something that benefits me.
    That's your call. But remember sites like this are free because of adverts. That's the bottom line whether you like it or not or whether you care or not.

But remember, I wasn't responding to whether or not you care. That actually wasn't your point, so let's go back

People who own the websites should fund them themselves. Or ask for donations. Or get a real job.
    This is what I was responding too. You're asking them to fund a site that could easily cost them $1000's per month. And yet you seem to want this free of charge, or have the person pay for it themselves? Seriously? And ask for donations? With people like you, it's no wonder they have adverts because it's pretty obvious you wouldn't contribute. And if I remember correctly, web developing and maintaining is a real job. It takes time, it takes money to run. But then, I'm beginning to question whether or not you know what a real job is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Would it make a difference to you if an (unenforcable) law made it illegal to use ad-block for that purpose?
    If there was such a subscription model, I'd might consider paying for it - depending on the fee. My decision to use AdBlock or not, however, wouldn't depend on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't use an ad block never did and never will. I have self control, if I don't like something, I don't have to give it my attention.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Until ads become less intrusive, not full of bugs, skippable, ignorable, ill continue using it. Ads are beyond annoying.
    ads aren't intrusive, on big sites you barely see them.
    i just hope people on youtube/twitch get ability to block ppl with adblock

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purefury View Post
    Why in the world would you hope that?

Little pretentious, yes?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purefury View Post
    um yes, there are plenty of ads that are intrusive. ads that scroll with you until you close them, ads that play sound VERY VERY LOUD, ads that enlarge to half your screen size until you close them.

I'll block ads until all the blockers in the world stop working. Even if all I had was a tool that hid the ad on my screen but still loaded it I'd use it, but ads have gone beyond those days--and I've had my PC infected through an ad in the Curse Client I didn't click, before.

Ads are a security risk for my shit.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Free market destroys itself

Anyone arguing against the intrusiveness of ads has very limited experience on the internet. But that's been covered. Instead, I'll give an anecdote, one that I've had happen repeatedly.

Because of the nature of my schedule, I often end up phone browsing to get my news. Since I like to check sources, I'll click links, and quite frequently I'll end up on a site with a god-awful scroll-along ad, with a tiny little x to close it. Zoom in, right? Nope! If I zoom in, the ad disappears off screen, leaving a darkened version of what I actually want to read visible. I have the choice of giving up, or finding the .5mm space that my phone will register as clicking on the fucking X to close. Yeah, fuck that very much.

When scroll along, 9000 decibel video, and pop-up ads die in a fire, and when ad services actually verify the malware status of the ads, then I'll uninstall AdBlock. Until then, whitelist for sites I trust/want to support.

Coincidentally, some of those sites have fallen victim to ad agencies growing lax and allowing virus-laden ads to work their way into rotation. Good thing I have good anti-virus.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

As most people have pointed out, the main problems with adverts are:
    Loud and flashy - If every advert was a non-animated picture with no sound, I would feel a lot happier about leaving them on. Having music auto play in a tab is just plain annoying, or adverts that float over all the places you are trying to click on. Pay per view is fine, but when they are trying to trick you on clicking on them by moving them around all the time, that's just low.

Children - When my little brother uses my PC I'd rather he didn't see booby women in his area or how to grow a larger dick. Kids also don't understand the nature of adds and are more likely to think they are on there because it's stuff you actively look at.

I do agree that people need to see slightly more adverts to support some websites, however I'm not going to turn them on while they are using sound or flash animations. I think there are good ways to get add revenue that aren't intrusive and are optional.

Mr.Robot has funny little things written where the adds should be reminding you that even as a robot he needs to pay for oil. After using adblock for so long I don't notice anymore if sites have adds or not so when I saw this funny message I whitelisted the site because I use that site a load and I think it's a great site. But they probably don't need my pay per view adds when they have the clever subscription model now where they'll tell you the best items in your bags and such.

4chan offered a completely optional pay wall, you pay a monthly fee to avoid having to write a captcha every time you type something. It's simple and effective, people can use the entire site without paying, I don't find captchas that annoying but people love to pay for convenience.

It might be a good idea for sites like Mmo champion to occasionally sticky a thread where they ask you politely to watch a few videos if you have time. I've seen loads of examples on the internet where if you are trying to force money out of people they hate it, but if you ask them nicely a load of them will actually do it and be happy to because it's optional and not being forced.

In regards to streamers, I have no regard for them, you are making money from a hobby and that's fantastic, but don't ruin the game that you love for other people. My overfull locked server has absolutely terrible queues because so many people want to make characters just to whisper swifty and other pvp famers that they love him. Plus some actively encourage people to do this or make those lvl 1 races etc. You could be doing this on a low pop server and make it into a thriving medium pop server instead of choking the hell out of a high pop server. Especially doing it at prime time every day.