Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Oh I know the americans make lots of awesome beer. I´m ½ american and have lots of family I visit. However when yoy say "american beer", people outside the US 90% of the time think Buds, while a few may know coors and millers.

You should come to Europe and go through Belgium, Germany, Holland, Denmark and the Czech republic for some really good beer
    I would really love to, but I have to go back to Aus/NZ about 100 times first.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Gay marriage has been legalized in a large number of states, marijuana legislation is on the verge, DOMA and Prop 8 are effectively gone, and healthcare is....marginally better.
    That's what you call progress? How sad and disgusting. Its because of people like you that I'm sort of glad the future will be a wretched place. Misery is coming for you, mark my words.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Thats funny because I read that article and it is filled with FACTS
    Your post reminded me of the death of Aaron Swartz... something I never should have forgotten.

That was probably the biggest tragedy this year as far as the internet is concerned. And it was thanks to federal prosecutors and outdated laws.

Deleted
    Highly disturbing. I never expected this behavior from Obama back in 2007. He is everything he claimed he was not. This stuff is the type of stuff that Hitler or the KGB used to do. Truly chilling. If this doesnt creep you out then you need to take the partisan blinders off. This man is NOT who we thought he was. You are crazy if you trust him or think hes a good guy. Hes dangerous and hes a liar.

He is an even larger threat to the Bill of Rights than Bush was and I would have called you insane for suggesting that once upon a time.

But the truth can no longer be denied. Obama is a fascist dictator.
    I don't think it's Obama's fault in particular, it's what the country has been heading in for a while now. I've read an article a few years back that said the US is becoming increasingly fascistic. And now we have this on top of a few other scandals, I think they were right.

I'm not sure you can blame Obama personally though, I'm not sure how the political structure works in the US exactly. But isn't it that the senate holds the real power? If the majority decides to work into a specific direction then Obama can't do very much about it, can he? Like I said, I'm no expert on this but to me it seems like Obama doesn't have control over everything.

It's crazy though, when you think about it. They started to heavily spy on people after one terrorist attack, and now that a whistleblower has opened up this disregard for basic rights they even enforce the spying even further. Yes, I think now we've gotten to a point where it's fair to make the comparison to Nazi Germany or the KGB without it being an exxageration. But I'm not sure you can blame the president, I think there are simply things in motion even he can't stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah thats why the ACLU is suing him. Thats why Chris Hedges is suing him. Believe what you want but its not even close to reality.
    So the ACLU and Chris Hedge are the people that determine if a president is good or not? Not following that logic. And perception of reality is subjective, just like opinions are.
    Last edited by Templar 331; 2013-07-11 at 01:47 PM.

Well Obama promised transparency, and has prosecuted more whistleblowers than all other presidents put together. (Is only about 1/8th of the way through his second term). Now he's pushing for people to whistleblow the whistleblowers for trying to make things transparent. The joke that he needs to keep everything secret to keep us safe needs to stop, even if it does make him sound like Gandalf.

since when is it bad to ask employees to report suspicious behavior... That's normal in a workplace with sensitive material...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    That's what you call progress? How sad and disgusting. Its because of people like you that I'm sort of glad the future will be a wretched place. Misery is coming for you, mark my words.
    Misery is coming for someone who supports gay rights? really now....

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Its not an excuse. How do you plan to close Gitmo like you pledged to do if you have no where to place your prisoners? Politics is the wrong place for idealism. LBJ knew that very well.
    haven't looked much on that have you? They were going to either super high max sites in the US (which many prisons actually bid for the "right") or serve their times in the person's home country, congress blocked all this one way or another for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I don't see the problem. If you aren't doing anything wrong why worry? They can investigate all they like if there is nothing there then there is nothing there.

because a program like that can be easily abused. for example. you and a co worker are both under consideration for a promotion to fill a vacant spot. you decide to notify your supervisor of suspicious activity by you co worker" he bought an expensive new car".
    the consideration for promotion on your co worker is dropped because now he is under investigation. you get the promotion because the spot needed to be filled asap. then much later after the lengthy FBI digging into his personal life they realize he saved that money for 10 years to buy that expensive car
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2013-07-11 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    because a program like that can be easily abused. for example. you and a co worker are both under consideration for a promotion to fill a vacant spot. you decide to notify your supervisor of suspicious activity by you co worker" he bought an expensive new car".
    the consideration for promotion on your co worker is dropped because now he is under investigation. you get the promotion because the spot needed to be filled asap. then much later after the lengthy FBI digging into his personal life they realize he saved that money for 10 years to buy that expensive car
    Buying a new car = being a spy? I understand the idea behind your example, but it's more complicated than that. Buying a new car wouldn't make you a suspect or put a black mark on you. Missing documents and unnecessary downloads would be more suspicious than buying a new car. And more easy to prove too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    That example is asinine.

Also anyone who thinks this is new behavior for america is deluded, go open a history book and read about the red scare, or what america did to it's own citizens in 1942. Research the Nixon administration, or the patriot act... yeah Obama is the one trashing our rights, this type of behavior hasn't been going on for a hundred years or anything.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-07-11 at 04:43 PM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah thats why the ACLU is suing him. Thats why Chris Hedges is suing him. Believe what you want but its not even close to reality.
    Doesn't mean he did anything illegal. Now if the lawsuits actually go somewhere, then maybe he did something illegal.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I don't see the problem. If you aren't doing anything wrong why worry? They can investigate all they like if there is nothing there then there is nothing there.
    Because the average person breaks the law something like 200-250 times a year without even realizing it?

Because governments have a history of abusing power?

Or maybe just because the US government, in particular, has committed acts which barely fall on this side of the Third Reich and has proven itself untrustworthy... some of those acts on its own citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Because the average person breaks the law something like 200-250 times a year without even realizing it?

Because governments have a history of abusing power?
    Your point being what? The fact that the issue is causing controversy and is being sued for in the courts indicates that the checks and balances are swinging into action as per usual.

Or maybe just because the US government, in particular, has committed acts which barely fall on this side of the Third Reich and has proven itself untrustworthy... some of those acts on its own citizens.
    Why is it when people say "governments have a history of abusing power" the only example they tend to cite is the Third Reich?

Ignoring that it's complete hyperbole of course, given that the overall trend has been a net -gain- in terms of civil liberties over the past two centuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Why is it when people say "governments have a history of abusing power" the only example they tend to cite is the Third Reich?
    Laziness and hysteria usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post

Ignoring that it's complete hyperbole of course, given that the overall trend has been a net -gain- in terms of civil liberties over the past two centuries.
    DUDE! In this case it's perfectly appropriate! Don't you teach history?

Juxtapose THIS with what THIS GUY did and then try to tell me a 3rd Reich comparison is still hyperbolic.

Hitler also has highways built but no one ever compares someone to him for that.

Unless you're talking about taking over a country or committing genocide comparisons are never valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    lol, yeah giving equal rights to everyone is such a bad thing, lucky your breed is dying out, and the sooner the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    DUDE! In this case it's perfectly appropriate! Don't you teach history?

Juxtapose THIS with what THIS GUY did and then try to tell me a 3rd Reich comparison is still hyperbolic.
    It is still hyperbolic. Saying because the 3rd Reich had power then abused that power= US government has power and will abuse that power is hyperbolic. The Nazis did a lot of bad things and had power. But just because a government has power doesn't guarantee it will do bad things.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    It is still hyperbolic. Saying because the 3rd Reich had power then abused that power= US government has power and will abuse that power is hyperbolic. The Nazis did a lot of bad things and had power. But just because a government has power doesn't guarantee it will do bad things.
    I'm not sure you know what hyperbole means. If I were being hyperbolic I would be exaggerating. I am not, however, exaggerating. The US Government has, quite in fact, committed acts strikingly similar to those of Josef Mengele. That's not hyperbole. That's historic fact.