Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Damage numbers are too high

Sorry but they're gonna have to sort this out eventually, 13157568421 appearing all over the screen in coming expansions isn't gonna register within the human mind as 'high damage' compared to 13157568.

How can they fix this?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can fix this right now!
    1. Go to Curse.com
    2. Download Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
    3. ????
    4. Profit!

Mik's adds a "k" on to the end of high damage numbers.
    You're welcome

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    "Great item squish" was supposed to fix that, but blizzard seems to give up that idea.

Eventually we can go for "mega damage" where it simply shows 145k dmg instead of 145000.

Deleted
    Yeah two points.

1. Adding a K doesnt register within player's minds as Oh this is super high damage! As much as older, say, TBC damage numbers did.

2. Youre removing responsibility from Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khanis View Post
    Yeah two points.

1. Adding a K doesnt register within player's minds as Oh this is super high damage! As much as older, say, TBC damage numbers did.

2. Youre removing responsibility from Blizzard
    How slow do you think people are?
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    "Great item squish" was supposed to fix that, but blizzard seems to give up that idea.

Eventually we can go for "mega damage" where it simply shows 145k dmg instead of 145000.
    They haven't given up on it. It's still very much on the table.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    We’re trying the solution with commas, and K’s, and M’s, and to be honest, it helps a lot, and our hope is, by 6.0 or 7.0, players are demanding the item squish, and by then it’s not controversial at all. It’s like a celebration when we finally do it. (Source)

I don't think Mists was hurt much from its absence, but it's still on the table for the future. (Source)

We think the item level inflation has worked fine in MoP. We haven't given up on the idea of a squish, though TBH we were hoping to see even more demand for from players. (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Khanis View Post
    Sorry but they're gonna have to sort this out eventually, 13157568421 appearing all over the screen in coming expansions isn't gonna register within the human mind as 'high damage' compared to 13157568.

How can they fix this?
    Ooh this one again!
    1.) I love big numbers.
    2.) I set skada to display K and M on the numbers, so they aren't that big.
    3.) I have a huge brain and I'm really smart, so big numbers don't scare me like it seems to scare others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They haven't given up on it. It's still very much on the table.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    We’re trying the solution with commas, and K’s, and M’s, and to be honest, it helps a lot, and our hope is, by 6.0 or 7.0, players are demanding the item squish, and by then it’s not controversial at all. It’s like a celebration when we finally do it. (Source)

I don't think Mists was hurt much from its absence, but it's still on the table for the future. (Source)

We think the item level inflation has worked fine in MoP. We haven't given up on the idea of a squish, though TBH we were hoping to see even more demand for from players. (Source)
    That's actually really good news. I hope they can do this for next expac.

Problem with the 'mega damage' concept is that 99k can mean anything from 99,000 to 9,999, unless it rounds up in which case it might be telling you you did more damage then you actually did.

Squishing it down makes more sense. Maybe not old content, but starting from next expansion I hope DPS figures are curbed a little. At best we should be doing double the DPS we did at the end of the last expansion, not five times more!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Ooh this one again!
    1.) I love big numbers.
    3.) I have a huge brain and I'm really smart, so big numbers don't scare me like it seems to scare others.
    Frankly no matter how good you are at maths you're conditioned daily to find numbers like 2000! more recognizably high than 20141514616127.

691315162162 just isn't used in any forms of art or media to represent high damage outputs.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ha Ha Ha this Op makes me laugh, You are conditioned to blah blah blah, big numbers dont seem big to people blah blah.

Are you serious man?

This is one of the funniest things ive read in a long time. Big numbers are gonna seem big to people no matter how big the get. its not like they get smaller as they get bigger.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably a tumor.

I'm all for the squish. It was sick seeing a 5k in pvp in BC. Now I barely even notice the numbers.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Adding a K on the end specifying: One Thousand - is tough.

I hit X for 323,197 aka I hit X for 323K

It's tough, I know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ooh this one again!
    1.) I love big numbers.
    There is something called the subitizing limit, which is about 4. It's the number of objects the brain can determine quickly at a glance when they are flashed briefly. This is very relevant to UI design in terms of objects on the screen and how many digits the numbers presented have.

There are also studies on the limits of working memory. On average, humans have a working memory capacity of 7 ± 2.

There's also the thing about which is a more gratifying change: the letter suffix (K to M to B...) or numbers going from 735 to 3637. Seeing the actual numbers go up is more visceral than seeing the numbers actually go down, but having a different letter at the end. This currently happens depending on the SCT addon you use. Some addons sum the damage of AoE spells. So depending on how many targets you hit, the damage could range from several hundred thousand to a few million. So you could have a SCT string going: 990K, 950K, 1.1M, 900K, 1.2M, etc.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-07-13 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    -Snip-
    He pretty much said what I could within one post. But I'd like to add it also effects gear, even if you can easily distinguish which is better at a glance due to green and red, it's not because of numbers at first glance. Plus extremely larger numbers start to get a little redundant and unattractive, but I suppose at the point of lusting and finding numbers is and extremely personal preference. I enjoy smaller numeral increases and stats, than larger.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyfaria View Post
    Ha Ha Ha this Op makes me laugh, You are conditioned to blah blah blah, big numbers dont seem big to people blah blah.

Are you serious man?

This is one of the funniest things ive read in a long time. Big numbers are gonna seem big to people no matter how big the get. its not like they get smaller as they get bigger.
    Go look up subitizing limit you ignorant fool

Keep it civil please.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2013-07-14 at 12:22 AM.

I was saying this back when Cataclysm launched. Health pools, damage numbers, stat numbers on gear, etc, etc were getting really high and out of control then. It's even worse now. I just think it's retarded to see a lvl 90 toon with hundreds of thousands of hit points. To me, it just makes things seem out of control and not very proportionate. There comes a point in time in video games (IMO) when you just have to say enough. I've always felt like Blizzard increased numbers way to much with each expansion, but hey, that's just me. Smaller number pools have always been easier to manage and overall, make more sense in the grand scheme of things. Things just start to seem irrelevant when they become so ludicrously high. "Oh look, I just hit that mob for 349,219 damage. Yay."

10+ Year Old Account
    Bigger problem is the absurd stat scaling and ilvl inflation. Full heroic geared players are doing 300k DPS and millions of burst. In 5.1, 100k single target DPS was considered excellent but now it's almost nothing.

I guess it is because of LFR. Instead of just 13 ilvl gap between normal and heroic/next tier normal, there is another 20ilvl gap between LFR and normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Uneeded. the K's and M's behind the numbers will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Problem with the 'mega damage' concept is that 99k can mean anything from 99,000 to 9,999, unless it rounds up in which case it might be telling you you did more damage then you actually did.

Squishing it down makes more sense. Maybe not old content, but starting from next expansion I hope DPS figures are curbed a little. At best we should be doing double the DPS we did at the end of the last expansion, not five times more!
    499~ damage/dps/hps is nothing now-a-days. so I don't really see the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    You can fix this right now!
    1. Go to Curse.com
    2. Download Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
    3. ????
    4. Profit!

Mik's adds a "k" on to the end of high damage numbers.
    You're welcome
    That stupid addon isn't the same. I prefer having my numbers pop above my target, rather than blocking my view on my screen. Also adding K's to the end of huge numbers is even more boring.