Resummoning for Rabid

Obviously this is going to be in regards to beast mastery. Outside of inactive situations like Lei Shen transitions when nothing is happening / Magaera head switches, do you think there's ever a possibility of swapping pets for a new Rabid to be a benefit to your DPS? Maybe when the tank gets punted on Jin'rokh?

I was playing around on the target dummy, avoiding flasks / pots / stampede / readiness and going to 50 million on each parse. Completely unbuffed to make it even for each scenario, including shutting off pet buffs to make that even across each try. I did 3 pulls of each approach.

Keeping my pet on the target - Averaged 148k DPS @ 50 million damage
    Resummoning my pet the second Rabid fell off - Averaged 142k DPS @ 50 million
    Resummoning my pet between Kill Commands - Averaged 145k DPS @ 50 million
    Resummoning my pet with less than 10 seconds to Bestial Wrath between Kill Commands - Averaged 152k DPS @ 50 million

This was done with Blink Strikes to negate travel time back, your pet still attacks while being dismissed, and it appears you keep Frenzy stacks.

I realize there can be some RNG variance even with 3 parses averaged out over 50 million each, but I'm not sure I'd now how to simulate that scenario to see if it was a gain.

I was just curious, has anyone else experimented with swapping pets for the Rabid cooldown?

Edit - Edited for redundancy.
    Last edited by boogie; 2013-07-13 at 09:27 PM.

If there's downtime, then there's no reason not to swap pets.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe one of the mathy guys around here could figure out how much dps the Rabid cooldown is worth.

It's not worth it to dismiss your pet when you can attack your target manually. Rabid would need to make up for the time lost dismissing and summoning your pet. So basically, a couple melee attacks, 1 and 1/3 of a claw/smack/bite, 4 GCDs, and a couple auto shots. It's not worth it.

Also femaledwarf has a disable rabid option under the pet tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    It's not worth it to dismiss your pet when you can attack your target manually. Rabid would need to make up for the time lost dismissing and summoning your pet. So basically, a couple melee attacks, 1 and 1/3 of a claw/smack/bite, 4 GCDs, and a couple auto shots. It's not worth it.

Also femaledwarf has a disable rabid option under the pet tab.
    When I was testing, my pet actually kept attacking, didn't think to see if it was Biting though.

It does cost you 3 globals, if you time it perfect it works out between Kill Commands. The reason I was checking was the focus generation chance through the passive I forget the name of, potentially converting another 1-2 Cobra shot to Arcane. I don't know if that proc has an ICD? I should probably check into that. I doubt its much of a gain if any, and not sure if it's possible to replicate perfect conditions on timings before BW very frequently. I only did 3 attempts at each, and I'm willing to admit even without RNG I don't do it perfectly, and don't have the time to try it hundreds of times.

Thanks for the input, Tehstool, I'll probably just keep swapping on downtime
    Last edited by boogie; 2013-07-14 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boogie View Post
    When I was testing, my pet actually kept attacking, didn't think to see if it was Biting though.

It does cost you 3 globals, if you time it perfect it works out between Kill Commands. The reason I was checking was the focus generation chance through the passive I forget the name of, potentially converting another 1-2 Cobra shot to Arcane. I don't know if that proc has an ICD? I should probably check into that. I doubt its much of a gain if any, and not sure if it's possible to replicate perfect conditions on timings before BW very frequently. I only did 3 attempts at each, and I'm willing to admit even without RNG I don't do it perfectly, and don't have the time to try it hundreds of times.

Thanks for the input, Tehstool, I'll probably just keep swapping on downtime
    Oh yeah, my bad i wasn't calculating the pet downtime when I was calculating the player downtime. Yeah, you should only lose an auto attack, maybe two and 1/3 of a claw/smack/bite and whatever travel time you have.

Also it's 4 seconds. The cast to summon your pet is one GCD.

when calculating this, remember that:
    * dismiss pet prevents you from auto shooting, and resets the auto shot timer. you lose 3 seconds worth of auto shots plus 1/2 auto shot on average.
    * theres a ~.5 sec delay after dismissing pet until it actually disappears and call pet has a 1.5 seconds gcd. this means you lose 5 gcds.
    * dismissing and summoning another pet means you have no pet on the target for about 2 seconds.
    * summoned pets spawn with full focus.
    * you lose all frenzy stacks when dismissing pet.
    * temp haste effects and trinket procs complicate execution.

more complex than it seems at first. some very basic math suggests that, if executed properly, this might lead to a minor dps increase, but i wouldn't bet on it.

edit: also note that if we conclude this is a dps increase, 5.4 will put rabid on cooldown for all pets on use.
    Last edited by asdfsaf; 2013-07-14 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asdfsaf View Post
    when calculating this, remember that:
    * dismiss pet prevents you from auto shooting, and resets the auto shot timer. you lose 3 seconds worth of auto shots plus 1/2 auto shot on average.
    * theres a ~.5 sec delay after dismissing pet until it actually disappears and call pet has a 1.5 seconds gcd. this means you lose 5 gcds.
    * dismissing and summoning another pet means you have no pet on the target for about 2 seconds.
    * summoned pets spawn with full focus.
    * you lose all frenzy stacks when dismissing pet.
    * temp haste effects and trinket procs complicate execution.

more complex than it seems at first. some very basic math suggests that, if executed properly, this might lead to a noticeable dps increase, but i wouldn't bet on it.
    It looked like it was keeping my Frenzy stacks when I was dismissing? I believe I even consumed them at one point out of curiousity, but this could have been an oddity and not the norm.

With the pets attack / bite being some of my most damaging abilities when in haste reforge, it seems like dismissing / summoning every 20 seconds should be a DPS increase, especially with the 50% Bite increase over 50 focus, and it seems like I'd get at least 3 of those on each resummon, potentially more with lucky procs. A quick look at the haste change indicated that Rabid would net me 10 additional attacks, which should only have a ~3% chance of not procing Invigorate, assuming Invigorate had no ICD. I'd lose some auto shots and quite a bit of focus though on the downtime.

As I noted before though, the only scenario that didn't in my limited testing lead to a DPS decrease was only swapping before BW in a way that didn't delay my KCs much and would overlap with with the full duration of Synapse Springs / BW, and even then swapping Blink Strikes out for Crows would make it meaningless. Especially for the extra baby sitting you'd have to do.

I'll fiddle around with it some more, though I believed it to be a lost cause shortly after I started. I was just curious and bored