Thread: DPS Issue

Deleted

DPS Issue

Hello mages!

I'm having a slight problem. On my mage (Exotherm - Ragnaros), I'm frost specced pve, but I only reach a steady 90-100k dps with item level 515. Fellow mages with item level 505-510 pop between 140-170k of dps, so there must be something I am doing wrong. I use reforgelite to reforge my gear, and put a lot of haste in my sockets, since frost mages require a lot of a haste.

The rotation I use the one from icy veins and opening with all of my CD's with popping alter time when everything is procced.
    I hope anyone has an idea what might be the issue.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Exotherm View Post
    Hello mages!

I'm having a slight problem. On my mage (Exotherm - Ragnaros), I'm frost specced pve, but I only reach a steady 90-100k dps with item level 515. Fellow mages with item level 505-510 pop between 140-170k of dps, so there must be something I am doing wrong. I use reforgelite to reforge my gear, and put a lot of haste in my sockets, since frost mages require a lot of a haste.

The rotation I use the one from icy veins and opening with all of my CD's with popping alter time when everything is procced.
    I hope anyone has an idea what might be the issue.

Thanks!

90-100k does seem to be on the low-ish side, but dps is highly dependent on encounter specifics, like if you are constantly running lightning balls out on jin'rokh without pool time, your dps will suffer. On Megeara, there is a known bug where frost orb won't shoot towards the boss, also killing dps. I guess what I'm saying is, which bosses are you doing 90-100k on that you feel you should be doing 140k+. (More information can help us help you.)

Your talents and glyphs look okay, although for frost, Presence of Mind is not very useful (I prefer blazing speed). One thing I would try to track is your uptime on nether tempest, it should be as close to 100% as possible, and any fight with more than one target, nether tempest should be running on every mob in your range. You may also want to keep track of your Invoker's Energy buff.

The one thing I see that you can probably change is I see you have the UVLS trinket from Lei Shen. For frost, that is probably the absolute worst trinket you could have. Even a 476 raid finder version light of the cosmos would be better. The dominance offensive trinket is relatively inexpensive and would work much better. But literally any other PvE trinket would help.

3 other gearing points:

1. I don't know if it's a bug on the armory, but you want +180 INT to bracers, not +12.
    2. Go for +320 Brilliant Serpent's Eyes, not +480 Quick Serpent's Eye like you have in your belt.
    3. Jade Spirit, while expensive, is significantly better than Windsong on your weapon.

So, summing up:

Fix your gear, check your uptime on Nether Tempest and Invoker's Energy, and consider changing POM to Blazing Speed. If you have any other specific questions, it would help to know which encounters you are feeling low on, as I think it would be quite rare to being doing 90-100k on every boss without much deviation.

Deleted
    Having the same iLevel is meaning less, trinkets and weapon differences can make HUGE differences.
    Your trinket blows, your un-upgraded LFR staff is meh
    Having 4 set bonus vs no set bonus, at the same iLevel will stack the difference.
    No legendary Gem or Socket, 12 Intellect enchant on your bracers, WTF!?

I doubt seriously your talking about average fights when your talking about 150k dps at iLevel 510 and below, perhaps on fights like Horridon and Jin Rohk, perhaps Council where there is lots of potential for cleave and potential for +% damage modifiers that you may not be aware off/taking advantage off...

Without logs or more specific information, there isnt much more anyone will be able to do for you.

Exotherm, please use the sticky (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-my-DPS-thread) for your DPS help needs.

If you feel like it's a gear issue (stats and whatnot) use the Help my Gear sticky instead.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    90-100k does seem to be on the low-ish side, but dps is highly dependent on encounter specifics, like if you are constantly running lightning balls out on jin'rokh without pool time, your dps will suffer. On Megeara, there is a known bug where frost orb won't shoot towards the boss, also killing dps. I guess what I'm saying is, which bosses are you doing 90-100k on that you feel you should be doing 140k+. (More information can help us help you.)

Your talents and glyphs look okay, although for frost, Presence of Mind is not very useful (I prefer blazing speed). One thing I would try to track is your uptime on nether tempest, it should be as close to 100% as possible, and any fight with more than one target, nether tempest should be running on every mob in your range. You may also want to keep track of your Invoker's Energy buff.

The one thing I see that you can probably change is I see you have the UVLS trinket from Lei Shen. For frost, that is probably the absolute worst trinket you could have. Even a 476 raid finder version light of the cosmos would be better. The dominance offensive trinket is relatively inexpensive and would work much better. But literally any other PvE trinket would help.

3 other gearing points:

1. I don't know if it's a bug on the armory, but you want +180 INT to bracers, not +12.
    2. Go for +320 Brilliant Serpent's Eyes, not +480 Quick Serpent's Eye like you have in your belt.
    3. Jade Spirit, while expensive, is significantly better than Windsong on your weapon.

So, summing up:

Fix your gear, check your uptime on Nether Tempest and Invoker's Energy, and consider changing POM to Blazing Speed. If you have any other specific questions, it would help to know which encounters you are feeling low on, as I think it would be quite rare to being doing 90-100k on every boss without much deviation.
    Thanks for all this info.
    I was just comparing other classes with my item level in the raid during specific encounters where i just had 30 or 40k lower dps than they had, while mages should be the top dps atm.
    I just downloaded Mage Nuggets to keep track of my nether tempest and invokers energy.
    For the trinket, i will try to get Revered with that faction asap to buy that one. (I assume you mean the haste trinket)
    The 180 Int enchant was too expensive for what i had, but I will gather the money anyway:P.
    Why would i want to put intellect in the belt instead of haste?
    I also just bought jade spirit instead of windsong.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Exotherm View Post
    The 180 Int enchant was too expensive for what i had, but I will gather the money anyway:P.
    Why would i want to put intellect in the belt instead of haste?
    Intellect is still your strongest stat. The thing is, haste is worth more than 50% of intellect, which is why you stack it with the way gems work in MoP. However, haste would have to be worth more than 75% of intellect for the serpent's eye haste gems to be best, and while I didn't sim your character, there is almost no chance that haste is worth that much. Haste for frost generally would be around 60% of intellect. I know icy-veins says to use the haste gems, but I feel strong enough to say that this is just plain wrong. You would have to go on a simulation site like askmrrobot or actually do your own theorycrafting to figure out, but I'm confident that +320 INT > +480 Haste for frost mages.

Deleted
    Thanks alot Pyro,

I brought my dps up to a steady 120k on a target dummy (level90) up from 95-100k. Now I will have to gather that trinket and maybe replace some 516 items with some 502 raid finder Set items?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    Intellect is still your strongest stat. The thing is, haste is worth more than 50% of intellect, which is why you stack it with the way gems work in MoP. However, haste would have to be worth more than 75% of intellect for the serpent's eye haste gems to be best, and while I didn't sim your character, there is almost no chance that haste is worth that much. Haste for frost generally would be around 60% of intellect. I know icy-veins says to use the haste gems, but I feel strong enough to say that this is just plain wrong. You would have to go on a simulation site like askmrrobot or actually do your own theorycrafting to figure out, but I'm confident that +320 INT > +480 Haste for frost mages.
    I personally use Quick Serpent Eyes. When is come to frost the more haste the better, stack it as much as you can. Also make sure you are snapshotting your NT/LB when you have a good proc. It is worth it to refresh early if you get a good proc and also right before side proc falls off. And as you said if might be a good idea to swap out for set bonuses, 2pc dont worry about so much but if you need to drop some 516 pieces for 502 to get your 4pc then yes, do it.

Deleted
    Fire or frost mage in PvE, because i think i am doing good dps as fire mage, but some of my friends thinks that i should pick frost mage, but i like the dots as fire mage, so i dunno?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have any additional dps questions, please move them to the dedicated dps or gear threads stickied at the top of our forums. The links are also in my signatute.
    My magic will tear you apart.