Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What race-class combos could simply never happen? (based on lore)

There is no logical reason a gnome could not become a hunter, we just happen not to see many.

on the other hand there were no Pandaren in the Eastern Kingdoms during the third war or the assault on the lich king in the Plaguelands, so no Pandaren could have been turned to Death Knights.

We see that humans are capable of being taught shamanic magic (as seen in Northern Stranglethorn) but could humans ever be taught a druid's shapeshifting abilities?

Will there ever be Foresaken Paladins? I mean the silver hand was willing to work with several foresaken citizens.

explain which race/class combos you think are entirely implausable and why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tauren Rogue. Oh wait, that's based on size, not lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Draenei Warlock.

They're too obsessed with keeping to good and light that they will never turn like their Eredar "brothers and sisters".

But I want it, I want it bad.
    beat me to it.
    Draenei is the most light obsessed anti fel/demon race there is, so yeh.

and i do want that female draenei warlock.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    but what about eredun warlocks seeking to escape the ranks of the Burning Legion?
    after all they look exactly the same as the Draenai and are descended from the same people (actually since draenei/eredun are immortal they probably ARE the same people)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    size is lore

actually have you noticed it is the Hoofed species that can't be rogues?
    maybe drainei and tauren are just too noisy when they clop clop clop up behind you.

Deleted
    I still don't take Troll Druids seriously. Unfortunately there isn't much to argue or discuss seeing as they are already in the game, but the only relation between Trolls and Druidism came from them sacrificing animals and animal gods to consume or take their power. But times change I guess.

What I'm quite interested in is why we don't have Worgen Paladins yet. The argument for most Worgen classes was ''they could become this class before they were transformed'', so why are Paladins such a exception? Yea yea dark curse, it may seem odd at first, but I have yet to find or hear of a valid reason against Worgen Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Danmakus View Post
    beat me to it.
    Draenei is the most light obsessed anti fel/demon race there is, so yeh.

and i do want that female draenei warlock.
    Um not really, Night elf mages were once shunned because of certain events. Well they are back now but under heavy watch. Basiclly they are just tolerated while everyone still hates them.

The same can be done with Draenei and the broken. Be part of the small society of the draenei that follows fel magic in a "good guy" way like humans and gnomes do. Human and gnome warlocks are tolerated too by the draenei, so I don't see why they can't tolerate their own.

To address the suggestions above me:

Pandaren Death Knights: Once we see what Sylvanas has cooking with Koltira, we'll know better what this may mean. That said, There's no reason that a faction of Pandaren couldn't begin worshipping a "death god" and become their own brand of Death Knight. Samwise does have pictures of such a group on his page, and there was even some lore about them floating around.

Draenei Warlocks/Rogues: The Broken have both of these (see most of BC). There is no reason that Vellen, in his infinite wisdom, couldn't allow Akama and his people to train some of his people. Plus, there are already NPCs who talk about "Fighting the legion at their own game," so this is something that could still happen. Also, the suggestion above about redeemed eredar. The draenei are idealists, not purists. They'll help, but those classes will be pitied (like orc warlocks are allowed, but looked down on by the general populace).

Tauren Rogue: Grimtotem tribe has them; 'nuff said.

Human Druids: Gilneas did it, so why not?

Deleted
    Undead paladins. Nightelf mages (imo they shouldn't have added them as nightelfs banished any form of magic from their society) and warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    What I'm quite interested in is why we don't have Worgen Paladins yet. The argument for most Worgen classes was ''they could become this class before they were transformed'', so why are Paladins such a exception? Yea yea dark curse, it may seem odd at first, but I have yet to find or hear of a valid reason against Worgen Paladins.
    No Gilnean was trained to be a Paladin, then they sealed themselves off after the 2nd war and were obviously unable to learn Pally stuff from someone.

In my view: Tauren Rogue, even a combination like Troll Paladin seems likely, because these Zandalar guys in ToT seem to have an odd connection to Paladin Spells, like:

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=139212
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=139223

IF Trolls can become Paladins, they are the 1st Race in WoW that is able to choose any class.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think i would like to see Foresaken Paladins

we see paladins that have become undead and still retain access to paladin-abilities in Icecrown, I think there may be members of the foresaken who trully believe that redemption is possible for their kind.

Does the magic still exist in the world to make new Death Knights? Sylvanas' Banshee can create new undead but they cannot create Death Knights can they?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    The problem is, they'd be more likely to join the Horde than the alliance. I'm pretty sure Forsaken and Blood Elves would welcome them with open arms long before the Draenei could even forgive them for betraying them.

Which I'm secretly hoping for, so that alliance can finally have high elves.
    Awesome idea to let Alliance have Highelves and Horde have Eredun.
    It always seemed to me like the Bloodelves/Highelves should have been a split faction anyway.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People say Forsaken Paladins won't happen due to lore because Paladins were immune to the plague.

But that presumed that the Paladin could not die to other means, like being swarmed by undead, for one. And Sylvanus is currently raising new Forsaken with the aid of the Valkyr, not by tossing a plague bomb and letting the victim turn.

none. lore evolves over time.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Meh, after Blizz added Taurendins and NE mages with some excuse, i'm pretty convinced that Blizz just plonk whatever they want into the game, lore and/or logic be damned, and since i think that playing the character you really want pwns the overcomplicated cluster*beep* that is Warcraft lore, i'm fine with that, just open up all race/class combos already :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Would be hilarious though! Put it in the store Blizz!

'Ugh Cleetus I just got done being ganked by one of them invisible rich taurens..'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    none. lore evolves over time.
    ultimately true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    Would be hilarious though! Put it in the store Blizz!

'Ugh Cleetus I just got done being ganked by one of them invisible rich taurens..'
    are you suggesting that eccentric or non-traditional class/race combos be sold for real money?
    like if i PAID for Draenei Warlock or a Foresaken Paladin i could get one?

In a free market. . . maybe. . . I might pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    People say Forsaken Paladins won't happen due to lore because Paladins were immune to the plague.

But that presumed that the Paladin could not die to other means, like being swarmed by undead, for one. And Sylvanus is currently raising new Forsaken with the aid of the Valkyr, not by tossing a plague bomb and letting the victim turn.
    The plague is also what reanimated them. It wasn't just a disease, it was a magical curse. So even if Sylvanas raises a fallen Paladin as undead, chances are she's going to have a Warrior unless said Paladin retains enough willpower to survive being in such close contact with the Light. Similar to how Forsaken Priests work, only more so since Paladins imbue themselves very heavily with Holy magic and have no Shadow-based outlets to retreat to.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    No Gilnean was trained to be a Paladin, then they sealed themselves off after the 2nd war and were obviously unable to learn Pally stuff from someone.
    That would make sense, but unless I'm mixing up timelines Paladins were there before Gilneas was even mention to exist anywhere. Heck, even before the first Worgen or Night Elves in Wolf form were even around. Did the Gilnean just decide that Paladins were too fabulous for them and just threw everything related to them out of the window?

Something still doesn't quite add up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any race combo that isn't possible just yet, will be made available shortly on the Blizzard Shop for just 25€/$!

10+ Year Old Account
    what about Druids?

Human druids? Dwarf Druids? Gnome Druids?
    Orc Druids? Goblin Druids?

I see no reason the Blood elves could not be druids. their people were druids before the Highborne split from the rest of the Elf Race.

Any race that can produce a Priest can produce a Paladin. Forsaken, Gnomes, Worgen, etc.

As for Pandaren Death Knights, it's possible lore-wise. The Scourge is not extinct, there are still intelligent undead out there powerful enough to make Death Knights, as shown in the Eastern Plaguelands questlines from Cataclysm. It doesn't fit with the old 'Lich King did it' DK class origins in the game, but it is entirely possible. It'd just take a revamp of the starter experience to make them playable.