Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    None, unfortunately.

All the lore that's existed will be thrown out the window in the blink of an eye and some random made up excuse shoehorned in to "explain" anything Blizz decides to add.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    That would make sense, but unless I'm mixing up timelines Paladins were there before Gilneas was even mention to exist anywhere. Heck, even before the first Worgen or Night Elves in Wolf form were even around. Did the Gilnean just decide that Paladins were too fabulous for them and just threw everything related to them out of the window?

Something still doesn't quite add up.
    Paladins date from the second war (WCII about 50 years previous to now)
    Gilneas was involved in the Second War (Gilneas was a faction of humans in WCII)

the Worgen curse originated 7,000 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    None. Blizzard takes a baseball bat to Warcraft's lore, then a sledge hammer, douses it in gasoline, lights it on fire, buries it, builds a driveway over it, then parks several cars over it.
    It's a current game, not Lord of the frickin' Rings.
    Do you hold comic books companies like DC and Marvel to the same standards as well?

Well, Human Shaman works just fine considering the ones in Stranglethorn looked decent. As such, I don't see any reason why "Harvest Witches" works for Gilnean Humans but they couldn't have Witchdoctors. We've already got one of those, too. Everybody knows about the Blood Elf Druid boss.

I'm still confused why we have Pandaran Priests considering there's even Pandaran NPC dialog where one said "What's the'Light?'" Though, we have Night Elf priests because we couldn't have a separate Priest class for Night Elves. That being said, this means Pandaran Paladins aren't really that unlikely to occur eventually thanks to the Argent Crusade's open-door policy. That's also why Worgen Paladin is completely possible and in no way strange. A Gilnean goes to Eastern Plaguelands, lore happens, and comes back a Paladin. The end.

All-in-all, there isn't a single race/class combination that's unthinkable in a serious context. Even Gnome Druid could happen with the right background story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post
    Undead paladins.
    Uthor lives! ... Kind of.

Nightelf mages (imo they shouldn't have added them as nightelfs banished any form of magic from their society) and warlocks.
    There's a quest NPC in Feralas standing with some Highborn who says something along the lines of "If Tyrande hadn't decided to go soft and start allowing these heretics back into our society I'd have killed them all by now."

Keep in mind, they were against all mages. they've now spent over a decade dying side by side with mages from other races. Lore works fine for me at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I'm still confused why we have Pandaran Priests considering there's even Pandaran NPC dialog where one said "What's the'Light?'" Though, we have Night Elf priests because we couldn't have a separate Priest class for Night Elves.
    I think the general consesus is that Paladins are all members of a single known religion. but Priests (capital p) are priests (lower-case p) of many different religions, that is why trolls have priests. Trolls do not worship the light. Nightelves worship Elune. Pandaren worship the uh, , , , the celestials. i dunno.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, if during the same series they decide "HEY GUYS, GUYS, NOW WHA-, NOW GUYS, GUYS, NOW WHAT IF, GUYS, WHAT IF WE, GUYS GUYS. WHAT IF WE MADE BATMAN ACTUALLY HALF CYBORG ONLY HE DIDN'T KNOW IT BECAUSE HE'S ACTUALLY SUPERMAN'S HALF BROTHER!" ridiculous ploys like Bliz has done.
    totally happens all the time
    have you never read any silver and bronze age comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    People say Forsaken Paladins won't happen due to lore because Paladins were immune to the plague.
    That's been changed. There's this fantastic quest-chain in Icecrown about just that subject. Seriously, finish the quest line and it outright shows who is more powerful than who as far as healers go. I almost cried at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same can be done with Draenei and the broken. Be part of the small society of the draenei that follows fel magic in a "good guy" way like humans and gnomes do. Human and gnome warlocks are tolerated too by the draenei, so I don't see why they can't tolerate their own.
    No. Fel magic corrupts Draenei physiology and cuts their ties to the light.
    If you were to roll a "Draenei lock" you'd have to be Krokul (Broken ones like Nobundo) or Eredar (fat chance that one of them switches sides).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and that's why DC (mostly) sucks and Superman is the worst super hero of all time.
    I can agree with that statement

but Dark Phoenix was actually a psychic clone while the real Gene Grey was trapped underwater in jamaica bay?
    c'mon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No. Fel magic corrupts Draenei physiology and cuts their ties to the light.
    If you were to roll a "Draenei lock" you'd have to be Krokul (Broken ones like Nobundo) or Eredar (fat chance that one of them switches sides).

Oh i dunno. The Eredar are by definition traitors. And once you betray one person you will betray any person. Why wouldn't some of them seek to fight against the Legion?

10+ Year Old Account

Cool

I still don't take Troll Druids seriously. Unfortunately there isn't much to argue or discuss seeing as they are already in the game, but the only relation between Trolls and Druidism came from them sacrificing animals and animal gods to consume or take their power. But times change I guess.

What I'm quite interested in is why we don't have Worgen Paladins yet. The argument for most Worgen classes was ''they could become this class before they were transformed'', so why are Paladins such a exception? Yea yea dark curse, it may seem odd at first, but I have yet to find or hear of a valid reason against Worgen Paladins.
    According to lore, worgen can only be the classes that they could be back when they were normal humans, and if you research a bit, you'll find that the humans of Gilneas and a few other kingdoms of the original Alliance of humans never had any paladins within their ranks. Now with the dark curse, it makes it even harder for them to learn the ways of the light.

What i would always ask until Blizzard finally gives it is gnome hunters ...i mean, there are plenty gnomes using hi-tech guns throught Azeroth and Outland and every society requires people that hunts for food. Besides, they are specialized in constructing things and engineering, the use of traps and specialized ranged weaponry as cross-bows and guns. The use of hunting should be fairly easy to them. And please don't argue the common "they are too small, they'd get eaten by their pets" because goblins can be hunters and they are just slightly taller. Also, it can be easily explained that they use some small device (like real life location chips) to help tame and control their pets.

Just to please the rest, they could give them that white bug as their starting pet. :P

Back in topic, the only race-class combo i could never see happen according to lore would be undead paladins. They can use the light as priests but supposedly it pains them greatly and they can balance it by wielding shadows, thus, making it bearable. In the case of paladins, this class uses light mostly as a weapon to destroy unholy things such as undeath, and channeling that much holy power through their bodies would end destroying them even if it was bit by bit ...they could be paladins but only for a couple of weeks at most if they were raised still as paladins ...and besides, the process of learning to use the holy light as a weapon would end their un-lives. Too much of a risk to take so Sylvanas would never allow it. It would thin her people's numbers even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh i dunno. The Eredar are by definition traitors. And once you betray one person you will betray any person. Why wouldn't some of them seek to fight against the Legion?
    Fail saves. You know the kind: "use the power I give you against me and you'll be killed by it". Also Eredar DON'T CARE for the "right thing to do".

Considering previous examples they are so far beyond the point of redemption that even noble sacrifice or trade offers are just laughed at or exploited. Do the quest in Netherstorm where a Draenei paladin gives in to despair and turns to the legion. Very revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    none. lore evolves for money.

Fixed for you.

They already all happened tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    That's extremely debatable. "Betrayal" to one person is a dishonest, disingenuous act. "Defecting" can be very different depending on which side is viewing them. Eredar who joined Sargeras at the time could easily have been peer pressured in. Leaving would be nigh-impossible without a third-party stepping in to give them a place to run to.

To all of you who dislike night elf mages and think the combination is terrible. Remember that Highborne were night elf mages. They make perfect sense.

I would actually like to see human shaman, night elf shaman, gnome paladins and worgen paladins.

to me.. undeads and healing dont mix.. ud pala/priest/druid/shaman/monk feels rly odd :P

Forsaken Paladin
    Goblin/worgen monk

On the second one:

Goblin starting area starts up right before Deathwing blows things up.

As for Worgen, they've been behind a wall for I forget how long. That wall doesn't open up until Cata.

Both are in game story limitations: monks wouldn't make sense for either because of this.

Even though Forsaken can be priests, they only are holy/disc due to gameplay reasons. Don't recall if I've ever seen a healing undead priest NPC before. Paladin's use nothing but inner light spells- something Forsaken can't wield.
    Last edited by taheen74; 2013-07-17 at 05:38 PM.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

10+ Year Old Account
    Undead Monk, healing causes them pain and the are physically incapable of getting drunk.

Draenei Warlock, Draenei hate everything "fel". (Horde should get Eredar, and they could be Warlocks)

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    I still don't take Troll Druids seriously. Unfortunately there isn't much to argue or discuss seeing as they are already in the game, but the only relation between Trolls and Druidism came from them sacrificing animals and animal gods to consume or take their power. But times change I guess.

What I'm quite interested in is why we don't have Worgen Paladins yet. The argument for most Worgen classes was ''they could become this class before they were transformed'', so why are Paladins such a exception? Yea yea dark curse, it may seem odd at first, but I have yet to find or hear of a valid reason against Worgen Paladins.
    Trolls can become druids because their Loa gods are capable of entering and live within the Emerald Dream.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    Forsaken Paladin
    Goblin/worgen monk

On the second one:

Goblin starting area starts up right before Deathwing blows things up.

As for Worgen, they've been behind a wall for I forget how long. That wall doesn't open up until Cata.

Both are in game story limitations: monks wouldn't make sense for either because of this.

Even though Forsaken can be priests, they only are holy/disc due to gameplay reasons. Don't recall if I've ever seen a healing undead priest NPC before. Paladin's use nothing but inner light spells- something Forsaken can't wield.
    Enough with the "Forsaken can only be Shadow" crap, that stuff was explained by a blue post years ago - they can heal, it just hurts them to wield the Holy Light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    what about Druids?

Human druids? Dwarf Druids? Gnome Druids?
    Orc Druids? Goblin Druids?

I see no reason the Blood elves could not be druids. their people were druids before the Highborne split from the rest of the Elf Race.
    Stubborness and a lack of connection to the Emerald Dream.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Any race that can produce a Priest can produce a Paladin. Forsaken, Gnomes, Worgen, etc.

As for Pandaren Death Knights, it's possible lore-wise. The Scourge is not extinct, there are still intelligent undead out there powerful enough to make Death Knights, as shown in the Eastern Plaguelands questlines from Cataclysm. It doesn't fit with the old 'Lich King did it' DK class origins in the game, but it is entirely possible. It'd just take a revamp of the starter experience to make them playable.
    A Priest order does not equal a militant order of Paladins. A race that can be Paladins has to be able to Priests too, but a race that can be Priest does not have to be able to be a Paladin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Meh, after Blizz added Taurendins and NE mages with some excuse, i'm pretty convinced that Blizz just plonk whatever they want into the game, lore and/or logic be damned, and since i think that playing the character you really want pwns the overcomplicated cluster*beep* that is Warcraft lore, i'm fine with that, just open up all race/class combos already :P
    Night Elf mages were already in the game, as either NPC's or story fluff in regards to the Highborne.

- - - Updated - - -

That would make sense, but unless I'm mixing up timelines Paladins were there before Gilneas was even mention to exist anywhere. Heck, even before the first Worgen or Night Elves in Wolf form were even around. Did the Gilnean just decide that Paladins were too fabulous for them and just threw everything related to them out of the window?

Something still doesn't quite add up.
    It's likely that Genn didn't approve of the Silver Hand, or it's likely that Gilneas just didn't trust the other members of the Alliance enough to send apprentices to the Order, or even bothered.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

draenei warlock and undead druids. draenei seem to turn to man'ari pretty quickly with fel magic. i'm guessing undead could become 'druids' in a sense, but not like we play in wow. and it would have to take a very special individual, with all of their mortal care for the world intact.

draenei and tauren rogues aren't anti-lore at all, just look at mishka, from si 7. also, shattered hand on quel'danas has had stealth draenei for a while. grimtotem tauren have been rogues since vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Stubborness and a lack of connection to the Emerald Dream.
    All those things can easily change, if these races wish to, druism is no exclusive club all they need to do is study it, not to mention belves already created some warped form of druidism.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    A Priest order does not equal a militant order of Paladins. A race that can be Paladins has to be able to Priests too, but a race that can be Priest does not have to be able to be a Paladin.
    That is not necessarily true, the original human paladins were nothing but priests, who were taught how to hold a hammer, sword etc. and wearing plate armor to fight.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    All those things can easily change, if these races wish to, druism is no exclusive club all they need to do is study it, not to mention belves already created some warped form of druidism.

That is not necessarily true, the original human paladins were nothing but priests, who were taught how to hold a hammer, sword etc. and wearing plate armor to fight.
    That can of course change, but currently, it doesn't seem as if they WANT to change. And yes, the clerics were taught how to fight - so that they could join the newly established Paladin order - so there has to be a reason or a militant arm for a priest to become a paladin.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann