Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Some people line up waiting to be milked by Blizz. I mean seriously, just write them a blank check already...

Deleted
    Bad idea, and it'll prevent some people who actually want the updated models but can't afford anything over the monthly subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Let's be honest here. People wouldn't quit the game over it. They'd bitch and moan or a few days, but after people are buying it and it becomes the "norm" in game after a week or two, players will just accept it.

It happened with the sparkly horse, pets, and now the helms. History will repeat itself, as in people bitch for a few days and then noone cares. The same will happen when the xp bonus and lesser coins become a buyable item as well. People won't just quit the game they've invested 5+ years into just because Blizz is selling models that you don't even need which won't affect your game. Blizz knows this as well which is why like I said, it would be dumb not to sell models in the cash shop.
    I seriously hope you never run a business in your life. There's something called goodwill - and it has its limits.

Seriously, I can't believe you would voluntarily shove all that down our throats. Have some standards for the quality of the product, ffs.

EDIT: Upon thinking about it further, the "sparkly horse,pets, and helms" are all just bonus features- nothing SO ESSENTIAL as your character model. I don't think you're realizing the leap you are proposing but you're trying to compare apples to oranges and it just isn't working.
    Last edited by sOvrn; 2013-07-17 at 08:59 PM.

I honestly think that OP made this thread just to prove a point that just because something is purely cosmetic, doesn't mean that it should be on the cash shop. He proved that point very well !

My hope is that the cash shop will grow enough to take the place of the subscription model... At the same time I worry that leading up to the F2P model will be too rocky. WoW will probably become F2P once Blizzard releases their next MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocopop View Post
    Bad idea, and it'll prevent some people who actually want the updated models but can't afford anything over the monthly subscription.
    Not to mention the price it would cost for altaholics.

Fifteen bucks a model time your eleven alts? Well, you're shit out of luck son.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    No, the new player models are cosmetic things players want so their character doesn't look shitty.

If you don't buy, say, the newest mount of mog piece, it doesn't change fuck all in your game. But if you don't buy the new models then you have to endure the crappy animations of the older races, as well as their completely outdated skins.

If they put the new models on the cash shop, they essentially give you a lesser product quality so you pay more to get something decent, rather than offering a good quality product with optional enhancements.
    Neither of which impacts your ability to get through content in this game. Not even a slight amount

It is 100% a visual / vanity issue. So if the cash shop is good enough for xmog gear and mounts, it's good enough for character models too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
    I agree, I think that blizzard should make all content they release to be bought. For example when they bring out patch 5.4 people can pay money for all the content that brings, and the people who don't want it don't have to!

//sarcasm
    If it would be retroactive and you would have to buy each patch to catch up then it would be a great idea! Then all "those people" can stay in Vanilla/BC/Wrath and not buy any of the patches after what they want to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Neither of which impacts your ability to get through content in this game. Not even a slight amount

It is 100% a visual / vanity issue. So if the cash shop is good enough for xmog gear and mounts, it's good enough for character models too.
    Yes, I sure hope they release everything in next expansion with Vanilla-quality textures. Want better looking enemies? 20 bucks. Do the trees look like they were taken from the Minecraft? Another 20 bucks please. It's 100% visual so fuck you, better get that credit card of yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    New character models in the cash shop? Horrible idea. I would love for them to add other skins to the shop though, like taunka skins, or those chinese forsaken without the bones, or even a skeletal forsaken. Maybe even Broken or High elf skins. THOSE I could see going in a cash store, but new standard models would have to be a part of the subscription.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    I find this thread insulting. How is it even rational for us to pay something apart from subscription for something we are "promised" for all those years?
    New pet and mount models seem to always end up on the blizzstore first and maybe appear in game sometime later.

You know this big thing we have been talking about for ages? well we were thinking and have decided that just giving to you as part of your sub or as an exp perk was just too generous, so were going to charge £10 per skin to unlock, after that you can upgrade with new hair styles and skin colours and eyes just for an extra £2 per item per race, enjoy........

Hell to the Fucking no.....

New character models = cash shop

This isn't actually a bad idea, because only the people who WANT to have the new models for their toons can pick and choose which one. Everyone wins.

For example, I like my hunchback orc so wouldn't pay to have him updated, but I would definitely pay $15-25 dollars to have my human warrior updated with a new model. There's really no reason why Blizz SHOULDN'T do this. They make tons of money and only the people who want their toon to look different will purchase. Thoughts?
    Stop with these moronic threads. New character models are going to be a game wide, region wide feature regardless of account level. It won't be an expansion feature nor will Blizzard charge for it. Mods please start locking up these threads. We seriously don't need discussions on things Blizzard hasn't even remotely hinted at doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Updated character models + cash shop = Huge drop in subs.
    You have said this about pretty much everything for the past few months. Ever hear the story about the boy who cried wolf?

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is just a sliiiiiiight difference in something they have been stringing us along over the course of MoP (and arguably even before then since the subject definitely was around prior to MoP) and then to suddenly say, "Yeah, that cool feature a huge majority of the player base has been looking forward to that we've made them wait years on is now going to be available in the Store" vs "Hey, here's some shit we pulled out of our asses over the weekend for the lulz we thought people might like and be willing to pay for."

Just a sliiiiiight difference, mind you.

It's not going to happen. They know it would be PR suicide.

Charater models and x-mog gear are different animals imho.

x-mog gear does not alter your character's core. It is just something fun you can toss on when you feel like it. Similar to a mount or pet.

Character models are a core part of your character that does not alter. I don't think that they are in the same boat. I'm not saying that it will never happen. But I don't think that there is any evidence that Blizz will put character models in the Blizz store unless they change their sub fee strategy.

Deleted
    People are horribly underestimating the amount of coding needed to split the client into old models and new models based solely on which account paid for them.

Character models are 100% cosmetic just like the helms. You don't gain stats and it doesn't make the game any easier or harder.

It's actually the PERFECT item to sell in the cash shop because more then half the player base would purchase it.

How? You're not buying anything that gives you an advantage in-game in any way at all. It's purely cosmetic just like the helms. You have people posting how 6-7 people in their EU guilds have bought helms already. If it was updated models it would be 4 x's as that. That's alot of extra money that Blizz would be stupid to pass up.
    Do you seriously think Blizzard is going to allow their game to look like a mish mash of character models of varying quality just to make a quick buck? Part of the reasoning for doing new character models is to bring the older ones in line with the more recent ones. So no they aren't going to put it in the cash shop or charge players for it at all.

15+ Year Old Account

This isn't actually a bad idea, because only the people who WANT to have the new models for their toons can pick and choose which one. Everyone wins.

For example, I like my hunchback orc so wouldn't pay to have him updated, but I would definitely pay $15-25 dollars to have my human warrior updated with a new model. There's really no reason why Blizz SHOULDN'T do this. They make tons of money and only the people who want their toon to look different will purchase. Thoughts?
    New Character models = optional = everyones happy. Your way would result in me instaquitting and I doubt noone would follow.

That said I would like to have an option to keep this UD model , I went alliance once for 2 weeks but missed my UD model so bad as a healer that I went horde again. Would never happen though, ghxs would be screwed up with 2 different models.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogged View Post
    Perfect for Blizzard's get-rich-quick scheme. Not so perfect for players or long-term subscriptions.
    I know this is extremely difficult to comprehend but Blizzard isn't the only for profit company out there. Those of you so butthurt over companies making a profit are going to have very long miserable lives if this kind of thing bothers you.

Oh look, a devil's advocate. How fun and refreshing.