View Poll Results: What do you think about this incident?

Voters
570. This poll is closed
  • The Dubai governemnt did the right thing

32 5.61%
  • The woman did something wrong

18 3.16%
  • Everyone involved did something wrong

111 19.47%
  • The woman did nothing wrong, it was the Dubai government's fault

409 71.75%
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Are you really still shocked by anything the middle east does?
    I'm never surprised, but I'm always kind of amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Boy it's gonna suck for you when you realize that oil products account for less than 6% of the UAE's GDP, isn't it?
    Indeed, the UAE wasn't built on oil - it was built on natural gas, human rights abuses, and shady financial sector investment.

Deleted
    Uh, okay, this just appeared on swedish news, translated with google though:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article17154237.ab
    Marte Deborah Dalelv, 24, reported a rape in Dubai - but was sentenced herself to a long prison sentence for sex outside marriage.

Now she is speaking out about the rape and the harsh judgment.

- I tried to say stop, but he pressed down my neck. I could not move, says Marte in an exclusive interview with Norwegian VG.

The 24-year-old Norwegian Marte Deborah Dalelv have worked in a shop in Qatar since 2011.

In March this year, she was on a kickoff trip in Dubai with the job.

Along with some other Norwegian women would she look like in a pub last night.

A male colleague also came along.

It was a wet evening. When she got back to the hotel, she was pretty drunk, writes VG.
    "I could not move"

Marte asked her male colleague if he could help her to the door. Instead, he tried to get her back into his room. Marte said no.

But my colleague did not listen and pulled her into his room.

- Nothing happened in the evening. I fell asleep. Next morning I woke up to being raped, says Marte in the exclusive interview with VG.

She says that she was lying on her stomach.

- I tried to say stop, but he pressed down my neck. I could not move.

Then there was a knock on the door. It was the alarm that was ordered the night before. The colleague told Marte to be quiet while he went to open the door. She managed to get her clothes on and ran towards the door.

- He stood at the door. I only remember that I was screaming that he had to let me out. He said, "remember that it was you who did it."
    The police did not believe her

The hotel reception told Marte that she had been the victim of a rape and that they would call the police.

But the police's reaction was nothing like she had expected. Marte understood immediately that they did not believe her story.

She had to do a medical examination which confirmed that she had injuries. The male colleague refused first to ever having had sexual intercourse with Marte. But DNA tests later showed that his version was not true.

Marte became trapped in a cell at the police station. After a few days she could borrow a phone by an American woman.

- I did not have much time, money was running out. So I just said quickly to the father: "I have been raped. I'm sitting in jail. You need to call the embassy. I sit on the Burj Dubai police station, "she says to VG.
    Got sacked by boss

For four days sat Marte trapped at the police station before she was released. The head from her job met her.

- He asked if we had had an affair. He said I should say that it was voluntary, that rape does not happen in Dubai. That there is no such thing as rape in Dubai, says Marte to VG.

Since she was dismissed from the job for unknown reasons.

She was alone in Dubai. Without the opportunity to travel home.

Marte reported the rape on March 6 this year. Since then she has been on court negotiations six times.

The medical examination states that she has been through sexual intercourse involving violence with the male colleague. In addition, several of her friends gave testimony confirming Martes version. But her colleague claims she was with everything.
    Is "wanted" in Dubai

Marte was sentenced to one year and four months in prison on Tuesday - for having had sex outside of marriage and having drunk alcohol.

The sentence came as a shock to her.

Marte and her defender appealed the sentence. Until then Martes status in Dubai "wanted".

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Real classy. Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you people?

"Look up the customs/laws of places you are going."
    I guess she was planning on getting raped, right?
    Listen Lelouch. There's a good chance of me getting raped by straight guys or killed in Iran and other iffy countries. If I travel there I wouldn't expect justice for being raped. I wouldn't go there to begin with because of how backwards the country is

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I say no and I know better who I am than you so just stop. For the 15th time for 15th person saying this same crap... STOP!
    How about no?
    I have not forgotten what word humanity means.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    How about no?
    Will you please stop for a minute and think about what's actually being said, rather than immediately attach the meaning you expect?

How about no?
    I take back what I said earlier about this shit not being even funny anymore. It's funny again. You are pathetically hilarious.

What should be done is for a huge wall to be erected between the civilized nations of the world, and these Middle-Eastern lunatics. Democracy, human rights, equality and other concepts we prize are simply not compatible with enough of these people to ever take root; what finer example was there than Egypt and the aftermath of Mubarak's ousting?

The irony is that as I say this, Scandinavia in particular is going out of its way to import these Islamist barbarians.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2013-07-18 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    So, it has happened again in Dubai, that's reached the news - a woman who reports being raped is sentenced to prison. What do you think about this incident?
    I am disgusted. How was she even convicted about having sex outside marriage if what happened was without her consent?! Don't they factor willing participation or its absence at all in that country?

I do not want to sound as someone who generalises easily, but, I would urge any westerner who considers travelling to that country, and similarly "exotic" in their judicial system countries, to think about it extremely carefully. Because if something happens, that's all there is to it in a lot of cases. Personally I don't think I ever want to even pass-by.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithien View Post
    I am disgusted. How was she even convicted about having sex outside marriage if what happened was without her consent?! Don't they factor willing participation or its absence at all in that country?
    It's a case of he said she said and since she doesn't have the 4 male wittnesses required by the law then this is the outcome.

I find it funny that despite UAE's stricter laws, the US still has a significantly higher incarceration rate. Hell, I'm sure we have at least a few politicians who would gladly pass a law that would put any woman that is raped in prison. Even if you follow every law, there's still that chance that your home will get stormed by a SWAT team who mixed your address up with some drug dealer's. People who live in or come to the US deserve to go to prison for going to such a barbaric nation.

Dubai is actually a pretty nice place to go to...as long as you're a man. I went there when I was seven, and it was immediately apparent that women over there are inferior to men. UAE is one of the most developed nations in the Middle East, and Dubai is probably the most tourist friendly. If you do go, just make sure that you're familiar with their laws. If you're a woman, don't travel without a man you trust, and always be with that man anytime you leave the hotel room. As long as you're aware of their laws, you shouldn't run into any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Will you please stop for a minute and think about what's actually being said, rather than immediately attach the meaning you expect?
    I know what is being said, I am talking about something else.

I take back what I said earlier about this shit not being even funny anymore. It's funny again. You are pathetically hilarious.
    Sure.
    So are you.

Im just wondering:
    If people say, it's her fault, because she decided to go to a middle eastern country... Where should women go?

USA: You can be killed during a gang fight, can be killed by an armed idiot, claiming he "defended himself"... and of course you can be raped.
    Middle/ Southamerika: You can be killed during drugwars or being kidnapped. Or you can be raped.
    Africa: If you go there, you have to fear, to be killed by some black people. Even lager a larger city is dangerous.
    Middle East: You are worthless, you can be punished for being a victim by male rapists...
    EU: You can be robbed, you can be raped, you can be captured for trafficking.
    Eastern Europe/ Russia: Nearly like EU. Chances of being victim of trafficking are higher.
    India: People don't care about women. Even male companions don't protect you well since they are beaten up. Police will blame you .
    China: Prepare your self for being arrested for not agreeing to the partys will.
    Australia: Nearly like USA. Just even less police outside major cities.
    Asia: Have fun with Triads or Yakuza. In addition you still can be raped and robbed.

So visiting can always considered being risky. So what to do?

Go out in your hometown/ nation: You can be drugged and raped, you can be robbed. So it's a bad idea as well.
    Stay at home, deal only with people you know: In many rape cases the victim knows the rapists. Some are even related. So staying at home isn't safe.

Hm, so all in all there is only one thing I should do: Go to a monastery? Am i right?
    Last edited by josykay; 2013-07-18 at 03:47 PM.

The amount of victim blaming in this thread is amazing. With that said, this doesn't surprise me one bit, backward countries will be backward countries. They ought to shape up if they ever want to be accepted by people in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Im just wondering:
    If people say, it's her fault, because she decided to go to a middle eastern country... Where should women go?
    "If people say"

Well they don't.

Im just wondering:

USA: You can be killed during a gang fight, can be killed by an armed idiot, claiming he "defended himself"... and of course you can be raped.
    Middle/ Southamerika: You can be killed during drugwars or being kidnapped. Or you can be raped.
    Africa: If you go there, you have to fear, to be killed by some black people. Even lager a larger city is dangerous.
    Middle East: You are worthless, you can be punished for being a victim by male rapists...
    EU: You can be robbed, you can be raped, you can be captured for trafficking.
    Eastern Europe/ Russia: Nearly like EU. Chances of being victim of trafficking are higher.
    India: People don't care about women. Even male companions don't protect you well since they are beaten up. Police will blame you .
    China: Prepare your self for being arrested for not agreeing to the partys will.
    Australia: Nearly like USA. Just even less police outside major cities.
    Asia: Have fun with Triads or Yakuza. In addition you still can be raped and robbed.

So visiting can always considered being risky. So what to do?

Go out in your hometown/ nation: You can be drugged and raped, you can be robbed. So it's a bad idea as well.
    Stay at home, deal only with people you know: In many rape cases the victim knows the rapists. Some are even related. So staying at home isn't safe.

Hm, so all in all there is only one thing I should do: Go to a monastery? Am i right?
    Your list is assuming something that is not implied: It is assuming that, since everywhere has its dangers, you shouldn't go anywhere.
    The fallacy lies in the fact that areas are usually dangerous due to criminal activity. Yes, you can be stabbed, robbed and raped in any place in Europe (though as a tourist, you'll never be the victim of trafficking; victims of trafficking become victims because the traffickers, or rather: Slavers, prey on the desperate). In the US, you can be accidentally shot. It is a risk. You can also get hit by a car; it's also a risk.
    In China, you're absolutely fine as a tourist, as long as you don't partake in demonstrations, protests or other such things. Though China does some awful stuff to its own people, as a tourist, the worst that would happen is for you to get a stern talking to, and be banned from the country.
    India... Yeah; I'm not going to set foot in India. I'm sorry to say, Indians, but your country, with its (no longer officially allowed) castes, heavily enforced patriarchy and often failing justice system scares me.
    Japan: Yakuza will leave you alone. They have no interest in tourists.

The point I'm trying to make is: Yes, everywhere is dangerous, but criminal actions and/or accidents are NOT the same as being persecuted by law for being a victim of a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge of Infinity View Post
    The amount of victim blaming in this thread is amazing. With that said, this doesn't surprise me one bit, backward countries will be backward countries. They ought to shape up if they ever want to be accepted by people in Europe.
    I hope you realize that you're now saying EXACTLY the same thing as the people you're accusing of 'victim blaming,' right?

Deleted
    How about no?
    You did. Open a history book and learn.

You see, I personally do not have empathy for everyone on this planet. That doesn't mean I do not have empathy at all. I just do not care that bad things happen to people all the time. I don't have time for it, and frankly I have better things to do than grinding my mind for something I cannot even change. Even more so for willingly stupid people who basically commit suicide for stepping into a country where they are treated like cattle.

Remember the Boston Bombing? How many other people died in the meantime and you didn't accord them any attention? That's right, you are a hypocrite.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-07-18 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I hope you realize that you're now saying EXACTLY the same thing as the people you're accusing of 'victim blaming,' right?
    How am I saying exactly the same thing? I am talking about those who clicked the "The woman did something wrong." & "Everyone involved did something wrong"(Implying she did something wrong when she did in fact not do anything wrong unless you count being inexperienced & naive as having done something wrong.) option in the poll mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge of Infinity View Post
    How am I saying exactly the same thing?
    If you took time to think what is being said you'd know.

I am talking about those who clicked the "The woman did something wrong." option in the poll mainly.
    You said the amount of victim blaming is amazing but the poll indicates it's a tiny percentage doing that. Half of them could be trolls for all we know. Look at the posts instead.

You said the amount of victim blaming is amazing but the poll indicates that's a tiny percentage doing that.
    If you don't think 82 out of 370 voters is a substantial amount of people then I don't know what to say. That's 82 too many. The only 2 options that should be clicked is the first(Because the law is the law no matter how retarded it is, they follow and apply it in the country) and last, otherwise you're pretty much blaming her for having been raped.

If you took time to think what is being said you'd know.
    Nowhere did I say it's her fault for going there.
    Last edited by Cynic Paradise; 2013-07-18 at 04:08 PM.

Deleted
    snip
    Humans! HUMANS EVERYWHERE!!! >_<