Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What's GW2 like nowadays?

Picked it up on release and me and my guildies played it close to nonstop for several weeks, few of us logged 200 hours. Once we got close to 80, we took a step back and saw that our end game options were very limited. The way we saw it, we'd hit 80 and then spam several dungeons to grind out currency for gear so we could do the same thing for better gear...I don't' know how accurate that was, but the prospect of such a fun and engaging game with these cool events and an awesome combat system turning into a literal grindfest didn't interest us while we were still raiding in WoW.

Our first impressions of what the "lite" end-game was going to be like lead to all of us "quitting" the game.

One great thing about Guild Wars, though, is that it's buy-to-play! We played and quit before we even reached a month of activity, and a lot of time has passed...I've seen a couple e-mails about content patches or something like that, and I haven't heard anything really bad about the game, except that early on people were getting banned for streaming and disenchanting things or something like that. I'm subbed to Kripp, and he didn't play for long lol.

Now for the question; What's the game like these days? Are there fun and engaging PvE goals for someone who probably won't even raid? Leveling was an absolute blast, events were fantastic, dungeons were even fun too, and it was exciting to be able to actually explore in an MMO again. Not knowing anything about the world and just traveling blindly brought me back to when I first started leveling in WoW.

I guess I'm just asking if the game is fun to play at a casual level, if there's lots of fun things to do for a non-raider. ...there's raiding in GW2, right?
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

I wonder what their sub numbers even are these days?

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot has changed in the last 10 months.

Here's the splash page summary of release updates:
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

Major features they've added include:

Game is going very strong, they lift the server caps every few weeks or so and they just keep filling up. Another 2 tipped over to Very High this week. Tons more stuff, you should jump in and find out
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-07-21 at 04:37 AM.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    there's raiding in GW2, right?
    There are no raids in Guild Wars 2, at least not yet. There has been some talk of having raid like content coming sometime in the future but it's been said Anet wants to do it differently than how traditional raiding in a game such as WoW does raiding, nothing more concrete than that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seukos View Post
    GW2 does not do subscriptions, all they have released financial info wise is how many units they have sold, but no info as far as I'm aware on how many active players they have or how much active players have spent in their cash shop.

10+ Year Old Account

I guess I'm just asking if the game is fun to play at a casual level, if there's lots of fun things to do for a non-raider. ...there's raiding in GW2, right?
    Lots of fun things to do...no, lots of things to do there sure is, those fun things are of course subjective, I don't find WvW fun but I do it, the 1.0 dungeons are awful tot he point of being some of the least interesting gaming experiences I've had. Things have improved generally but most additions are quick fixes, guild missions are shallow, pvp maps offer nothing new and the living story up to the last patch were pretty abysmal.
    Just install it and give it a go.

Some realms are bursting with life, some are dead, you're better off searching for an active server, but we'll never know sub numbers because the game doesn't work like that.

The way we saw it, we'd hit 80 and then spam several dungeons to grind out currency for gear so we could do the same thing for better gear...I don't' know how accurate that was...
    Not accurate actually.

None of the 5 Guild Wars games have a bimodal or vertical scaling endgame. None of the Guild Wars games have a commonly understood endgame as MMOs in the grand style or of the 2nd wave.

Now for the question; What's the game like these days?
    The same as it was on launch w/ added features. Which is the same as every actively developed MMO in the mass market.

Are there fun and engaging PvE goals for someone who probably won't even raid?
    Well, considering one can not raid in GW2 the answer can only be yes.

With the exception of MMOs made for children and World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 is the most casual play friendly MMO I know of. I think you will be fine. It's still the same game + patches.

10+ Year Old Account
    as people have already said there is no traditional instanced raiding, but there are places where events are "raided" like WvW and world dragons but they are open world and you do not have to be grouped with anyone to participate and get rewarded. everything you did to get to level cap you can continue to do at level cap like exploring the game world and i do not just mean getting 100% map completion, but finding hidden places in the game that do not count towards map completion. you can also try sPvP and WvW even if you do not like PvP in other games, you may be pleasantly surprised. from your description of what you found "fun" in GW2 this game was made for your type of player. the new Bazar of the Four Winds Living Story update is a lot of fun, at least for me personally.

imo, just update the game, find some friends/active guild (you can guest on different servers for PvE and sPvP, just NOT for WvW), and just do whatever you find fun.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Seukos View Post
    Zero....considering it's a non-sub game...

10+ Year Old Account
    Intredasting responses, I'll reinstall tonight.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Intredasting responses, I'll reinstall tonight.
    Not like you can regret it, its only cost you bandwidth :P

10+ Year Old Account
    What are currently the most active and viable servers?

As someone in a similar position to the OP, but started the game back up about 2 weeks ago, it's worth it if you're looking for a super casual friendly "farting around doing whatever the hell I want" experience. It's been a nice break from the monotony of WoW (which is partly my fault since it's been the only game I've been playing for most of MoP's lifespan). It's really REALLY nice to come back to a MMO 8 months later and still have the best gear stat-wise and not have to grind it out again.

GW2 is now a Single Player RPG. im playing all the time on Ring of Fire (Very High) and never seen a player walk by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamez View Post
    GW2 is now a Single Player RPG. im playing all the time on Ring of Fire (Very High) and never seen a player walk by.

Youtube, how I love thee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZchJTgnD0o
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the problem with large scale pvp, that was mind numbingly dull to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Avrianna View Post
    What are currently the most active and viable servers?
    Are you talking about US or EU?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Are you talking about US or EU?
    His location is USA, one would assume he means USA, however assuming makes an ASS out of U and ME is a saying for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    This is the problem with large scale pvp, that was mind numbingly dull to watch.

It helps if you know wtf is going on ;-)
    For instance, in this little video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5Rj-XL3F4

The FA group of about 60 had previously wiped to a Maguuma group of about 30 called [PYRO], with [PYRO] mass CC'ing them at the choke that the person in the video was previously pointing out. However, most of their siege was wiped out during that earlier engagement, so they knew they couldn't pull the same trick again.

In response, [PYRO] pulled north of the inner keep to hide, so that when Fort Aspenwood came in, they would see no one there, assume it was a free keep, and drop their guard. As they came into the breached wall, two [PYRO] members baited their stability cooldowns with static fields. This way, most of the guardians and other frontliners wouldn't have stability when [PYRO] actually pushed through the gate portal from the east.

So, when those two eles gave the word, [PYRO] came in from their hiding space, dropping mass CC while pushing with might/fury/swiftness/veil/stability(this one is important), they were able to wipe a group about double their size without siege. This was a pretty ballsy move, so the narrator was freaking out a bit. Apparently there was more to his freakout, but he cut it out, thinking he sounded crazy, and uploaded this video.
    Valar morghulis

It's still boring to watch. You only see a blob vs an organized guild.

2minutes of swiftness+reta+25might+fury+perma stealth (if you use smoke-fields which seem to be rather unpopular atm)
    vs a blob that puts out water fields when people try to stack might...

There's a reason why organised teams kill the lord with few people while the main group is "blocking" the entrance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    It's still boring to watch.
    It is, and this isn;t an attack on GW2, large scale PvP on youtube is just abysmal to watch, especially with no sound/commentary.