Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

WoW forum banned for "Trolling"

So I received a forum ban recently for 3 days, about to expire. The reasoning behind it baffled me. Here is exactly what I posted:

I am really glad they don't make major class changes in the middle of expansions.

Next xpac's notes:
    Mend pet has been removed.
    Stampede has been removed.
    Revive pet has been removed. (Pets now die permanently and require re-taming)

This post was made in response to the nerf to mend pet, which was later recalled because blizz either realized it was a mistake or because it was originally a typo. Now I know that blizzard has their "We can ban you for whatever reason we want. Hahaha." thing, but seriously I broke no forum rules and I haven't for more than a year. There are tons of these kinds of posts made on a daily basis that don't get people forum bans and this one was merely made in jest, and I will admit that I have made posts in the past worse than this that didn't get me banned.

They stated the reason for the ban was because I was "trolling", and apparently they don't know the meaning of the word because I wasn't trolling anybody and in fact my response to the change was the same as practically everyone elses. Was this merely a knee-jerk reaction by one of the devs just getting mad at me for what I typed? I can't think of any other reasoning as this not only shows their droppings of the banhammer to be petty but extremely inconsistent as well.

One other example is from a while ago, it was in response to a change blizzard was going to make that didn't ever happen (I forget what it was, the thread has since been deleted), but it was viewed as terrible by the majority of the posters responding. I said something along the lines of "Excuse me while I go renew my runescape account." and I got forum banned for that, and this time they didn't even give me a reason.

I know it's their game so they can do whatever they want, but how can these bannings be anything more than just them not liking what I posted and giving me a forum ban for that reason and simply writing it off as trolling?

Just like everyone else that runs in here crying about getting banned from the WoW forums,you're more than likely not giving us the entire story and you got banned for some other reason than what you mentioned.

BTW, crying here will not do anything for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do people NEED to post about them getting banned, this is getting old
    And in this case its not even a permaban, just 3 days

Didt u know, thay r very strict on the official forums about trolling, or what seems like trolling for them
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Well your post didn't really sound like it contributed to anything,not constructive, just sounded like you trying to be *clever*. That kind of post just incites more of the same kind of post or worse, so yeah 3 day ban sounds ample.

My best guess would be that they did not see a point in the post you made and did see it as a * Look at me i post cool stuff for lulz* post.

Deleted
    Whilst it may not be "trolling", sarcasm is not constructive either.

Someone reports you, Blizzard checks your records and sees multiple violations, you move up on the volcano and get a three day ban. It's not rocket science, nor a conspiracy. Rub someone the wrong way again and it will likely be a permanent ban.

I can see how they considered that trolling. I read it as sarcasm though. The ban was maybe unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    well since sarcasm=trolling and since 'Now I know that blizzard has their "We can ban you for whatever reason we want. Hahaha." thing' plus your other mentioned post 'Excuse me while I go renew my runescape account.' seems they banned you for good reason. what was the reason for posting this here? i dont see a question so you must be looking for sympathy or someone to take your side but im pretty sure you wont get it because you deserved to be banned for a few reasons.

I'm sorry if this is just another "I got banned" post. I have given the entire story, at least from what I can tell from the "account banned" page. It's not like I made another post that was actually breaking forum rules and they decided to ban me for this one, and once again sorry if this is just another banned post, but trolling on the forums happens all the time, probably on the majority of pages in every thread on the forums, but people are not banned for that.

One other thing I found curious was that blizzard didn't send me an e-mail about this, even though their battle.net explanation of a ban says that any player who receives one will receive an e-mail, and indeed in the distant past for other similar things I have received an e-mail every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    what was the reason for posting this here? i dont see a question so you must be looking for sympathy or someone to take your side but im pretty sure you wont get it because you deserved to be banned for a few reasons.
    My question is why should blizzard respond to some posts they consider "trolling" meanwhile posts that actually are trolling get made virtually all the time without receiving any punishment. It just seems that their method of dealing with posts they don't like is extremely inconsistent.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2013-07-22 at 09:23 PM.

they didn't want to hear your non-constructive QQ'in and neither do we.

Deleted
    Whats so freaking bad about being witty is my question? ''You can say that you don't like a thing, but if youre creative about it, youre a douch''.

Deleted
    I got perma-banned for making a "Tauren, why are they so awesome?" thread. Apparently Blizzard considers that trolling. Although trolling wasn't my intention at all.

Why would u discuss class balance on official forums?

That place is the fanboy gettogether. Any criticism whatsoever and they come FLOCKING to defend the blues in their hopes to one day become MVP and work for free.

Youll either get banned, thread deleted, or downvoted so your posts gets greyed out.
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-07-22 at 09:26 PM.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

Well I don't see that as trolling exactly but it can be construed as a misleading post. Some people just don't have sarcasm meters enabled when they read forums.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    So I received a forum ban recently for 3 days, about to expire. The reasoning behind it baffled me. Here is exactly what I posted:

I am really glad they don't make major class changes in the middle of expansions.

Next xpac's notes:
    Mend pet has been removed.
    Stampede has been removed.
    Revive pet has been removed. (Pets now die permanently and require re-taming)

This post was made in response to the nerf to mend pet, which was later recalled because blizz either realized it was a mistake or because it was originally a typo. Now I know that blizzard has their "We can ban you for whatever reason we want. Hahaha." thing, but seriously I broke no forum rules and I haven't for more than a year. There are tons of these kinds of posts made on a daily basis that don't get people forum bans and this one was merely made in jest, and I will admit that I have made posts in the past worse than this that didn't get me banned.

They stated the reason for the ban was because I was "trolling", and apparently they don't know the meaning of the word because I wasn't trolling anybody and in fact my response to the change was the same as practically everyone elses. Was this merely a knee-jerk reaction by one of the devs just getting mad at me for what I typed? I can't think of any other reasoning as this not only shows their droppings of the banhammer to be petty but extremely inconsistent as well.

One other example is from a while ago, it was in response to a change blizzard was going to make that didn't ever happen (I forget what it was, the thread has since been deleted), but it was viewed as terrible by the majority of the posters responding. I said something along the lines of "Excuse me while I go renew my runescape account." and I got forum banned for that, and this time they didn't even give me a reason.

I know it's their game so they can do whatever they want, but how can these bannings be anything more than just them not liking what I posted and giving me a forum ban for that reason and simply writing it off as trolling?
    I got perma banned from their forums for telling the world about their 'PvP Vote AFK' glitch providing more support for griefers...

And today for using the word "butt" 7 days ago:

Account Action: Warning

Offense: Inappropriate
    This category includes both clear and masked language which:

* Is a mildly inappropriate reference to human anatomy or bodily functions
    * Is otherwise considered objectionable

Details (Note - Times are listed in Greenwich Mean Time, GMT):
    2013-07-15 00:50:30 <snip>: we understand he's your butt buddy... but shut it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    I got perma banned from their forums for telling the world about their 'PvP Vote AFK' glitch providing more support for griefers...

And today for using the word "butt" 7 days ago:

Account Action: Warning

Offense: Inappropriate
    This category includes both clear and masked language which:

* Is a mildly inappropriate reference to human anatomy or bodily functions
    * Is otherwise considered objectionable

Details (Note - Times are listed in Greenwich Mean Time, GMT):
    2013-07-15 00:50:30 <snip>: we understand he's your butt buddy... but shut it
    It says you got a warning.. not a perma ban

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    I'm sorry if this is just another "I got banned" post. I have given the entire story, at least from what I can tell from the "account banned" page. It's not like I made another post that was actually breaking forum rules and they decided to ban me for this one, and once again sorry if this is just another banned post, but trolling on the forums happens all the time, probably on the majority of pages in every thread on the forums, but people are not banned for that.

One other thing I found curious was that blizzard didn't send me an e-mail about this, even though their battle.net explanation of a ban says that any player who receives one will receive an e-mail, and indeed in the distant past for other similar things I have received an e-mail every time.

My question is why should blizzard respond to some posts they consider "trolling" meanwhile posts that actually are trolling get made virtually all the time without receiving any punishment. It just seems that their method of dealing with posts they don't like is extremely inconsistent.
    Not gonna defend Blizzard for how they are running the forums, we all know more deserve a ban there for *trolling* *or posting for lulz* or trying to pretend to be smart, that does not make it ok to do it yourself tho.

Want to chit-chat then come here and do it on the mmo-c forums ... just make sure you do so in the right sub forums of the mod's gonna bash you here also :P

Deleted
    Heres my perma ban from the forums, I was just having fun with other people and didn't realize blizzard take such posts so seriously

Origination: Forums / Comments

Ban Type: Spamming / Trolling

Expires: Permanent

Ban Reason: Posting annoying messages in the forums, in this case reviving an old thread with a nonsense, irrelevant or provocative reply. I.e. spamming: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/816711831

Date of last post before your reply: 07/05/2011

A permanent forum ban has been placed on this account due to previous suspension history.By: ****, L75 Tauren Druid,
    Forum > General
    Thread Title:
    Tauren. There just so lovely
    Reply #29
    Timestamp:
    27-Apr-2012 18:32:40
    I'm warm
    Hug me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnsome View Post
    I got perma-banned for making a "Tauren, why are they so awesome?" thread. Apparently Blizzard considers that trolling. Although trolling wasn't my intention at all.
    I highly doubt that is the entire story.