Shadow PVP Glyphs

I've been wondering what glyphs are worth using in PVP as Shadow. Dark Binding is obvious, but that goes baseline in 5.4. If you're facing Mages/Pallies glyph of Mass Dispel might be worth taking. But what about others?

Personally I use Inner Sanctum and Prayer of Mending to stay alive on instants when being trained (BGs and low-rate 2v2). Fade seems to be an option, but it's up only 1/3 of all time. Inner Fire doesn't look too promising - not many classes left that deal physical damage almost exclusively and those classes usually have means to bypass armor. SW: Death is said to be good against Poly and probably some other CCs.

In US Priest forums there's a sticky PVP Shadow guide, which states that Reflective Shield glyph is a really good one, but is often overlooked. Is it really good or will it be in 5.4 with its percentage boosted to 70%?

Anyway, I'm new to Priest, so would appreciate if more experienced players shared their opinions which glyphs are worth taking.

Glyphs are tough, esp. as a healer. It'll depend greatly on what you are facing. in 5.4, Shadow gains a glyph slot for 15% dr. A shitty trade, really.

Fear Ward may be good vs Priests and Warlocks, Reflective Shield looks like a strong choice for all Priests; Mass Dispel vs paladins and Mages, Death Vs Mages, Focused Mending looks good; Inner Fire doesn't look particularly appealing; Sanctum is good vs caster cleave; Prayer of Mending may be good for Survivability.

Fade is 10% DR, but you have to give up your snare break to get it should you have phantasm. (and everybody does, in PvP)

A lot of Priest glyphs are frankly pretty limited.
    Last edited by Venaliter; 2013-07-25 at 07:34 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    I've been wondering what glyphs are worth using in PVP as Shadow. Dark Binding is obvious, but that goes baseline in 5.4. If you're facing Mages/Pallies glyph of Mass Dispel might be worth taking. But what about others?

Personally I use Inner Sanctum and Prayer of Mending to stay alive on instants when being trained (BGs and low-rate 2v2). Fade seems to be an option, but it's up only 1/3 of all time. Inner Fire doesn't look too promising - not many classes left that deal physical damage almost exclusively and those classes usually have means to bypass armor. SW: Death is said to be good against Poly and probably some other CCs.

In US Priest forums there's a sticky PVP Shadow guide, which states that Reflective Shield glyph is a really good one, but is often overlooked. Is it really good or will it be in 5.4 with its percentage boosted to 70%?

Anyway, I'm new to Priest, so would appreciate if more experienced players shared their opinions which glyphs are worth taking.
    Couple of glyphs are jumping out. Which are Glyph of: Renew, Fade, reflective shield, Inner sanctum, and weakend soul.(shadow) Glyphs like mindblast are maybe good to the eye, but in the end it's another rng part you add to it.

These all have their functions, It's just what ever u prefer. Fade is wonderfull if you know when to use it. It's not realy a loss to what your saying. You can always go for Glyph of prayer of mending to get a little bit of extra health back, but once again it's just what you prefer. They ahve their functions.

Going over a guide for such thing is just silly.

My own experience.

Alright, thanks! Was wondering if there are some universally accepted good and bad ones, looks like they're just situational and are to be picked according to playstyle.

I remember back in WotLK when my wife levelled her Priest I thought Reflective Shield was super awesome and wished to have that on my Frost Mage. However it was levelling in heirlooms and the PW:Shield was OP as hell. Now that I levelled my own Priest to 90 my initial reaction to this glyph was "35% damage reflect from a 70k shield, meh". But then the guide stated it as "the best damage glyph" and "greatly overlooked", coupled with patchnotes doubling its power, which made me reevaluate it. I guess I'll give it a try. =) Hm, I wonder if a mage Spellsteals a Reflective Shield PW:Shield from me, will I take damage while breaking it?

One more question. I really like dispelling stuff as Shadow, especially if restricted to instants only. Is it a good idea to take a Glyph of Dispel Magic? I deals roughly 1/2 of SW: Pain's instant damage, which doesn't seem to be meaningful enough. Does it add up in the end or the impression is right? Also will this glyph break CC if I dispel e.g. polymorphed target?
    Last edited by Nightfall; 2013-07-25 at 01:29 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    Alright, thanks! Was wondering if there are some universally accepted good and bad ones, looks like they're just situational and are to be picked according to playstyle.

I remember back in WotLK when my wife levelled her Priest I thought Reflective Shield was super awesome and wished to have that on my Frost Mage. However it was levelling in heirlooms and the PW:Shield was OP as hell. Now that I levelled my own Priest to 90 my initial reaction to this glyph was "35% damage reflect from a 70k shield, meh". But then the guide stated it as "the best damage glyph" and "greatly overlooked", coupled with patchnotes doubling its power, which made me reevaluate it. I guess I'll give it a try. =) Hm, I wonder if a mage Spellsteals a Reflective Damage PW:Shield from me, will I take damage while breaking this shield?

One more question. I really like dispelling stuff as Shadow, especially if restricted to instants only. Is it a good idea to take a Glyph of Dispel Magic? I deals roughly 1/2 of SW: Pain's instant damage, which doesn't seem to be meaningful enough. Does it add up in the end or the impression is right? Also will this glyph break CC if I dispel e.g. polymorphed target?
    That's quite a tricky question, since we free 1 slot next patch this might be usefull since it's like u said equal to a sw: p tick, I dont think it will be super bad, but I think there are some other glyphs that might prove more usefull in the end. ( I love dispelling aswell;p)
    Reflective shield is something I wan to test out more, since 70% is quite a buff.
    The Sw: D glyph is something I see some arena players talk about to get rid of sap/poly. Myself ... I dont like it, for me it's a waste of a glyph slot.
    But once again if it's usefull for your playstyle in Arena imagine a 3s facing mage/rogue go for it.

Right now on live I found a perfect combination( for me atleast) which is: Fade/renew making dark binding baseline I will try/switch out reflctive shield or weakend soul.

Hope it helps