Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Throne of Thunder Guides

Greetings folks! I have been creating extensive WoW raiding video guides for a number of years now (since Ulduar) under the name username GabeStah as part of the <Vox Immortalis> guild on US-Hyjal. Until now, I have always been hesitant to advertise or self-promote, but I've noticed a few other self-promoted guides pop up recently and thus have finally decided to offer my own creations to the community as a whole. That said, if this sort of personal advertisement is frowned upon or against policy, please let me know and I will comply accordingly to any such community standards.

I hope others can find some useful information within these resources and as always, if you have any questions or (constructive) feedback, I'd be happy to discuss those in this thread, privately in a personal message, or in the YouTube comments for the appropriate video.

One final, important note: These guides are extensive and lengthy! Some people find the need to express great discomfort over the length and detail of these guides, but my goal has always been to be as inclusive, thorough, and accurate as possible. To alleviate some of the complaints, however, I have recently started created dual-guides for recent content such as Heroic Throne of Thunder -- a Full Guide that I usually create with all the details included, then a secondary Quick Guide that is much shorter in length and better suited to players that just want the basics of an encounter. With that, please enjoy!

THRONE OF THUNDER GUIDES

ENCOUNTER
       NORMAL GUIDES    FULL HEROIC GUIDES    QUICK HEROIC GUIDES
    Playlists

Link

Link

Link
    Jin'rokh the Breaker

Link

Link

Link
    Horridon

Link

Link

Link
    Council of Elders

Link

Link

Link
    Tortos

Link

Link

Link
    Megaera

Link

Link

Link
    Ji-Kun

Link

Link

Link
    Durumu the Forgotten

Link

Link

Link
    Primordius

Link

Link

Link
    Dark Animus

Link

Link

Link
    Iron Qon

Link

Link

Link
    Twin Consorts

Link

Link

Link
    Lei Shen

Link

Link

Link
    Ra-den

Link

Link
    Last edited by Kulldam; 2013-07-30 at 10:35 PM.

This is great! I've watched quite a few of your videos for ToT so far. Yes, they're lengthy compared to others, but for some fights it's nice to get an in-depth look at each mechanic. There's also some great tips in there too. I remember seeing your Weak Aura for timing stacks in the first phase of Iron Qon, and our group used it and it worked out really well.

I hope you'll continue the great work in SoO. Looking forward to it!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I love the "waaaawaaaawaaaa" sound effects at the start of the vids too!
    Last edited by shoooter; 2013-07-26 at 02:45 AM.

I watched your guide for Heroic Council when we were working on it and it was very informative. Unfortunately the Frostbite strat you used didn't work out for us and we had luck solo soaking them. However I did see in your video that both tanks were dpsing Sul after the Mar'li tank got threat and got her into position. That helped us get a little more damage on Sul to get him down faster.

Nice videos if someone is looking for something in depth.

Deleted
    As a raidleader I find the long guides really helpful and have watched all of them, its gives a really really good insight into the fights and I feel you can make a strategy from this information. Its defo my go to guides, I liked these a lot more then fatboss guides. So thanks and keep up the good work

Had your youtube page bookmarked since DS, your guides are superb ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Few months late aren't ya?
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I've watched your guides now and again when I have time and I enjoy them and how in depth they are.
    One complaint I have is how you use re-use footage, I understand that you usually only have footage from one kill to work with but if you did phase 1 successfully only to wipe later on why can you not also use that footage?

Watching a 50 minute video with 5 minutes of actual footage can be tiring, especially if footage of multiple attempts from different angles could sometimes make what you are trying to explain clearer.

However, that is only a minor complaint, the work you put into the depth of each of your guides is truly amazing and I thank you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shoooter View Post
    This is great! I've watched quite a few of your videos for ToT so far. Yes, they're lengthy compared to others, but for some fights it's nice to get an in-depth look at each mechanic. There's also some great tips in there too. I remember seeing your Weak Aura for timing stacks in the first phase of Iron Qon, and our group used it and it worked out really well.

I hope you'll continue the great work in SoO. Looking forward to it!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I love the "waaaawaaaawaaaa" sound effects at the start of the vids too!
    Thanks so much! I'll definitely be continuing into SoO and hopefully can expand the content a bit more with suggestions from the community as well. Also glad you like the intro babblings/noises; it struck me as a fun little way to do it at the time and I like how they've turned out. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    I watched your guide for Heroic Council when we were working on it and it was very informative. Unfortunately the Frostbite strat you used didn't work out for us and we had luck solo soaking them. However I did see in your video that both tanks were dpsing Sul after the Mar'li tank got threat and got her into position. That helped us get a little more damage on Sul to get him down faster.

Nice videos if someone is looking for something in depth.
    Glad you found a workable strategy for Frostbite; it's certainly one of the most frustrating mechanics to deal with early on. Also thank you for the positive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagidin View Post
    As a raidleader I find the long guides really helpful and have watched all of them, its gives a really really good insight into the fights and I feel you can make a strategy from this information. Its defo my go to guides, I liked these a lot more then fatboss guides. So thanks and keep up the good work
    Perfect, that's exactly the kind of usage I like to hear about, so I'm glad they are sometimes helpful as literal "guides" to build your own strategies and tactics! Thanks for the kind words and I shall keep them going for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGunned View Post
    Had your youtube page bookmarked since DS, your guides are superb ^^
    Really appreciate that, thanks so much. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobum View Post
    I've watched your guides now and again when I have time and I enjoy them and how in depth they are.
    One complaint I have is how you use re-use footage, I understand that you usually only have footage from one kill to work with but if you did phase 1 successfully only to wipe later on why can you not also use that footage?

Watching a 50 minute video with 5 minutes of actual footage can be tiring, especially if footage of multiple attempts from different angles could sometimes make what you are trying to explain clearer.

However, that is only a minor complaint, the work you put into the depth of each of your guides is truly amazing and I thank you for it.
    Great feedback and the kind of constructive criticism that is very useful and I can do something with, so thanks for that!

As for the footage reuse itself, I hadn't really considered that aspect of it but you make an excellent point. Honestly in the past one difficulty with using multiple "takes" or attempts for footage was just a limitation on hard drive space since storing raw HD footage takes a massive amount of bits and bytes, but nowadays I have more storage and some better compression techniques, so I should be able to keep more attempts.

That said, sometimes the footage from previous attempts is virtually unusable simply because it doesn't illustrate the final tactic or strategy being discussed. That is not always the case of course, so wherever possible, I will do my best to take your suggestion into account and weave in a few different attempts into future guides. Thanks again for the suggestion! =)

I'd just like to add my thanks for these guides!

I've found them a fantastic resource and used them since DS too.

Please don't let the retardo comments on youtube about the length deter you from making guides, my guildies think they are fantastic too.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you so much for your detailed guides! I love how you cover multiple strats for each encounter. =)
    I am a filthy casual!

Deleted
    The guides are pretty detailed, i'll give you that.
    But some guides are 55+ min, which is bit overkill.

I usually post several videos for my guild, one detailed, often yours(sleeping pill and this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3vj5fGXYI

He's on the other hand is to short and direct without footage, something inbetween you and him would be ideal in terms if information and length
    Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    The guides are pretty detailed, i'll give you that.
    But some guides are 55+ min, which is bit overkill.

I usually post several videos for my guild, one detailed, often yours(sleeping pill and this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3vj5fGXYI

He's on the other hand is to short and direct without footage, something inbetween you and him would be ideal in terms if information and length
    Keep up the good work
    Thanks for the feedback, and I certainly don't wish to get into a mud slinging contest with any other content creators at all, but I do need to state that "DDGuides" that you linked offer virtually zero valid substance or content and are by and large exactly the opposite of what I personally feel a proper WoW guide should entail.

First and foremost, the creator doesn't even experience much of the content in question -- he just reads the information from the dungeon journal and watches a few videos and then presumes that this is enough by which to base a strategy that is then offered to other players. That feels rather insulting to the viewer in my opinion -- to insinuate that that the creator can magically develop a valid strategy without experiencing the fight and portray it accurately within 90 - 120 seconds, but somehow the viewer could not form the same opinion from reading the same dungeon journal entries or watching the same kill videos from other groups.

That in and of itself is absurd enough, but more often than not, the information provided in the "DDGuides" is just flat out wrong. Moreover, it seems that often when the information provided is disproved by other community members or the author's comments on YouTube are retorted, rather than update the guide, change the description, or just get rid of it entirely, he simply deletes his comments in question.

Ultimately I understand that some people are in a hurry and want whatever appears to provide them with the information they need at the fastest pace, but the "DDGuides" are exactly the type of thing I would never wish to create, and labeling completely untested and often invalid information as a "guide" seems shady at best and downright arrogant at worst. If I was using one of those guides in my own raid, and basing my strategy on that information, I'd be exceptionally disappointed when I found out that the information was not correct in the first place and I had to figure it all out myself anyway.

First of all I also have to say that these guides are great and the level of detail and breakdown into the various mechanics is very informative. One thing that I have seen in some other guides that I found useful was a link to a video of the whole fight using the tactic in the guide without any commentary so you can see from the beginning to the end how it is executed throughout the fight.

Excellent guides. I'd say to ignore all the people saying they're too long but I think you've got that down.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Just reemphasizing what's been said here - few people realize that it often takes many, many attempts to recognize the subtleties of different bosses, a process that often takes a few hours. While your guides are lengthy, they fill that knowledge gap that sometimes takes hours to otherwise fill while progressing on an encounter. As an example, I loved fatboss guides, but I could not step into an encounter and perform my role without making mistakes. With your guides, not only can I perform my own role well (I won't claim I play perfectly, but my mistakes become apparent and fixable) but I frequently understand enough of the nuance of the encounter such that I can provide tips for other people. I'm currently progressing on Heroic Lei Shen and your video on the fight, while lengthy, is all good information. Keep up the good work.

It's not like youtube lacks a fast-forward button. If the video is getting too long for me I just slide it forward to where something looks like the part of the fight we're having issues with.

I adore your guides. I like to watch them after our group has a night on the encounter, I find that I get the most out of them when I have a vague notion of what I'm watching. "Oh, so THAT'S what that timer meant!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulldam View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, and I certainly don't wish to get into a mud slinging contest with any other content creators at all, but I do need to state that "DDGuides" that you linked offer virtually zero valid substance or content and are by and large exactly the opposite of what I personally feel a proper WoW guide should entail.
    While i by large agree with most, if not all of your points.
    But as a guildmaster trying to get members to watch ANY guide before going into an encounter is often a though sell to some of "those" members...
    Trying to get them to watch 55 minutes of you snoozing yourself trough repeating is close to impossible. ;(

Personally i always watch several guides plus reading, but i always start with DDGuides cuz it gives me a good overview of the changes.
    But ultimately a cross between you and him would be ideal for me. Think fatboss without all the bad jokes lol ;(
    All im asking, if possible, is to try to keep it under 30 min

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    Oh well someone has put A LOT of time and EFFORT into this and you always seem to break things off.
    They usually are the first guides for glory achievements, among the first for heroic guides, AND cover every aspect of a fight, from different perspectives; points of view AND help out with "when to use X CD/ability". Haven't seen guides that complete yet, even Fatboss wasn't that accurate. Let's see how good you are with making a guide that complete in a shorter timeframe then them ? AND if so; send us the link if you'd like to be so kind.

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    Apparently not for you. I hope his normal Lei Shen guide helps you kill it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Apparently not for you. I hope his normal Lei Shen guide helps you kill it :P
    Haha nice burn.

He has only just promoted himself, check the upload dates to most of the videos.

Never seen any of your videos before but you have some nice replies so I will check them out after work.

When do you plan to have SoO videos out? In beta or after release?