[IDEA] Battlemage

So we have seen many many threads like this and most probably won't bother to read below. I have made countless of threads, on countless of forums on countless topics and only one single one of them was ever this succesful. It is from a year ago but was originally posted on another forum and now I'm going to copy over my idea here so you guys can see it. There was one about a year ago that kind of copied my talent tree but after some time he put credits so its okay. Now to the real things. Enjoy!

NOTE: Remember. This is just an idea and not anything that should be taken seriously. I made the same thread about 1 year ago on AC-Web and my name is the same there if you want to check credibility.

Class Details

●Available Races: Human, Draenai, Orc

●Available Weapons: Two-Handed Swords, Maces, Axes as well as Fist Weapons.

●Power Resource: Fury and Mana

Battlemage Talent Tree

Description

●The Battlemage is a fierce warrior who dominates in team combat as well as fighting for himself. He needs a variety of abilities that allow him to switch between melee combat and casting abilities from a distance, as well as, mixing both.

Abilities

Hope you enoyed,

~Silverrendy~
    Last edited by Shinrael; 2013-07-26 at 06:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    I would have also add blood elves to races. Over all it was enjoyable to read and I like the telnet calculator you got there. I love the icons on spells and details also. (That burning heart is great)

Thanks ^^

PS. Belfs just didn't look ok to me wielding a massive hammer stomping through enemies.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for double posting...but my thread died too early since I posted it in the morning...

10+ Year Old Account
    imho the original Mage specs should had been Battle Mage, Conjuration Mage and Blood Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty cool. I really enjoyed reading this.

Three things;

1. You need to add more races.
    2. What specs? I didn't see a mention of any.
    3. Your talents are interesting, but they're all passive. That needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    This is pretty cool. I really enjoyed reading this.

Three things;

1. You need to add more races.
    2. What specs? I didn't see a mention of any.
    3. Your talents are interesting, but they're all passive. That needs to be changed.
    1. Possibly. But I don't think other races fit. Most are either too alien to arcane magic ( such as Tauren ), others are too gentle to satisfy my idea for a spell-weaving warrior who stops through enemies.
    2. Never really made any specs. It all gets too messy if I do. Consider the 3 talent collumns the talent specs. Except you can mix them up - take any you wish.
    3. I don't like the idea of having talent tree full of active talents. MoP's talents changes were supposed to take out cookie cutter talents. Not remove all passive talents overall. I don't like having too many situational abilities either ( Though I kinda messed that ideal up with the number of baseline abilities ). Last but not least, in that talent creator site there was no option to make a realistically looking tooltip so I was like..oh well, doesn't make much of a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on...more feedback please.

bump

/10chars

Deleted
    Likin' the concept.

Im a big fan of a battle mage class as a whole, and the example spells were pretty cool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrendy View Post
    Thanks ^^

PS. Belfs just didn't look ok to me wielding a massive hammer stomping through enemies.

- - - Updated - - -
    There are quite a few blood elf/high elf Battle mages already in-game. If anything, they should be considered the prime example. Orcs, on the other hand, are extremely inexperienced when it comes to mages.

http://www.wowwiki.com/7th_Legion_Battle_Mage

http://www.wowwiki.com/Fordragon_Battle_Mage

Edit: According to these items http://www.wowhead.com/item=29773 and http://www.wowhead.com/item=25760 they wear mail and use 2H staffs.
    Last edited by mmoc25e5b9266c; 2013-07-28 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostwood View Post
    There are quite a few blood elf/high elf Battle mages already in-game. If anything, they should be considered the prime example. Orcs, on the other hand, are extremely inexperienced when it comes to mages.

http://www.wowwiki.com/7th_Legion_Battle_Mage

http://www.wowwiki.com/Fordragon_Battle_Mage

Edit: According to these items http://www.wowhead.com/item=29773 and http://www.wowhead.com/item=25760 they wear mail and use 2H staffs.
    I don't think you understand what custom class concept means. These items use the name of something that doesn't exist. The only "Battle Mages" in WoW are some NPCs. It is not an existing class. If you want a battle mage for a new class in WoW which looks exactly the same as normal mages....um ok.

You also failed to understand my previous message. As you can see my BM class concept makes him a fierce spell-weaving warrior. Not just some squishy mage holding a weapon and a book or an off-hand staff with a sword. Orcs are one of the first Warlocks if not THE first and they are very powerful magicians.

Way too many spells stun/slow/knockback the target, that is too much CC.
    A lot of the talents are the same thing but different tiers, such as movement speed, or slow, or stun on fire or frost dmg. You have a copy-paste old KJC.
    You made a class that is supposed to be melee or in melee range (since you gave it hard hitting weapon like 2h) but gave it almost no melee abilities other than buffing auto attack randomly. On top of that most spells have a cast time which is counter intuitive for someone who is supposed to be in melee. Making it either very interruptable or having too low melee uptime.
    You cant have spells that deal dmg based on targets HP % if you want it to be used in PvE on raid bosses.
    Pretty much a copy paste of mages Blink, but added that self kill mechanic which is pretty silly.
    Blizzards idea with casters in MoP and probably future is that they don't run out of mana anymore, so that Power Balance talent is useless. To add to that your spells hardly cost mana in the first place, mostly Fury.
    Other abilities are just way too OP, like Blinding Flash. You added drain mana, a mechanic that no longer exists.
    That is just of the top of my head, thanks.

It's hilarious that you want feedback, but when you get it, you're all like "what I see, what I want, what you don't get."

Personally, I like the idea of a battle mage, but its poorly executed. You basically want a monk with a mana pool. I would improve this by breaking down by freshening out specs, then talents. I think we'll get a battle mage soon (TM), but it won't be close to one of these suggestions. Too melee centric.
    Last edited by WildcatTM; 2013-07-28 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Susasusa View Post
    Way too many spells stun/slow/knockback the target, that is too much CC.
    A lot of the talents are the same thing but different tiers, such as movement speed, or slow, or stun on fire or frost dmg. You have a copy-paste old KJC.
    You made a class that is supposed to be melee or in melee range (since you gave it hard hitting weapon like 2h) but gave it almost no melee abilities other than buffing auto attack randomly. On top of that most spells have a cast time which is counter intuitive for someone who is supposed to be in melee. Making it either very interruptable or having too low melee uptime.
    You cant have spells that deal dmg based on targets HP % if you want it to be used in PvE on raid bosses.
    Pretty much a copy paste of mages Blink, but added that self kill mechanic which is pretty silly.
    Blizzards idea with casters in MoP and probably future is that they don't run out of mana anymore, so that Power Balance talent is useless. To add to that your spells hardly cost mana in the first place, mostly Fury.
    Other abilities are just way too OP, like Blinding Flash. You added drain mana, a mechanic that no longer exists.
    That is just of the top of my head, thanks.
    What is KJC ? What did I copy? I don't get it. A lot of talents are the same things? Movement speed, slow, stun, fire, frost damage. I actually have no idea what else I can put there other than damaging, CC, utility/mobility and defensive talents. You want me to put in some vanity talent like....Summon a non-combat pet? The abilities that have cast times are mostly the ranged ones and that's sort of balance. If all of the ranged abilities are instant you would have no need to get in melee range. It isn't supposed to be a melee class. It's hybrid between melee and ranged dps.

People complain that I response back to "feedback" but you all hang yourself for certain irrelevant details. Like the HP % damage. Something like this can easily be fixed so that it only works on players. When I was designing this class concept I actually wanted to make it an upgraded version of mage, not a separate class. However I didn't want the blink mechanic to be the same and so I decided to change it. It teleports you behind your target, not wherever you want, and not usable out of combat obviously. I actually copied that hunter talent ability where your pet teleports behind your target. Idk what is the self kill mechanic honestly. You say it is silly but I never added one. I don't see how using Blinding Flash kills you. I really don't. BTW. This idea is more than a year old and back then it wasn't obvious that mana will not be needed. Secondly the mana costs and talents are designed for WotLK times. Was meant for private 3.3.5a servers looking for ideas. Back then casters used to run out of mana. Not to mention that not running out of mana isn't my fault nor design. And top it off you actually DO run out of mana. Even as a mage. Otherwise you can just say "Evocation is useless so Blizzard is stupid". No, every mage uses Evocation because they need it. It is obvious the talent is designed for long PvE fights. After all you have a choice. If your skill is so high you never run out of mana...pick another talent - not make a fuss about it and blame me for it. Blinding Flash could be OP, I do agree. But in the end its all about balancing things out. The idea itself doesn't sound that OP if you nerf the CD and duration and range and mana cost. Does it?

About the Drain Mana mechanic. As far as I recall...my Battlemage concept doesn't exist in the game either...weird, eh? No seriously. What kind of "feedback" is this. What kind of a person complains about a non-existant mechanic in a thread that is all about custom fanfic class concept? I mean...WOW man...It is supposed to be different. Get over your desire for homogenization and open your eyes for new ideas. I also didn't exist before I was born but I wasn't thrown in the trash bin because of that, right? The Monk's Roll also didn't exist before MoP but it turned out to be one of the funniest abilities in the game.
    Sheesh. inb4 massive hate wave that will be thrown at me for commenting the negative feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatTM View Post
    It's hilarious that you want feedback, but when you get it, you're all like "what I see, what I want, what you don't get."

Personally, I like the idea of a battle mage, but its poorly executed. You basically want a monk with a mana pool. I would improve this by breaking down by freshening out specs, then talents. I think we'll get a battle mage soon (TM), but it won't be close to one of these suggestions. Too melee centric.
    Yeah, I've been told that before :/ But the case here is different. People assume that my class concept is following Blizzard's standards and ideas. This isn't a suggestion. This is fanfic. There is explanation for everything but I cannot include it all in the OP. Do not hate on me for defending my idea. I agree there are too many melee abilities. Have in mind that this is 1 day work whereas Blizz works on class concepts for years. And they are more than 10 people working on 1. I myself don't believe we will ever get battlemage as Blizzard's idea of a battlemage overlaps with the current mage way too much.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Melee Mage, 3 available races.

Chance of happening: 0%
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Good idea Nice post too!

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Melee Mage, 3 available races.

Chance of happening: 0%
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrendy View Post
    NOTE: Remember. This is just an idea and not anything that should be taken seriously.
    Someone can't read

Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    Good idea Nice post too!