Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmoonn View Post
    discuss..it seems weird that when in bc i would see maybe 2-3 ppl with warglaives wotlk maybe 30-50 ppl server wide with shadowmourne , cataclysm almost every raiding rogue on frostmourne had the legendary , and towards DS most spell casters had the legendary. I liked it when getting a legendary made you actually stronger than 99% of the community , and it was all purely BASED on luck, because right now , a legendary item isnt so legendary when every damn raider in the world including LFRers have the item, or will eventually get the item.

These are the problems with having anything exclusive in an mmo, especially like wow which houses a very prominent casual raider crowd. You either cater to one of your largest sources of income, or continue to treat them poorly. It's about money, really, but more than that exclusivity is a good and a bad thing. Case and point I've seen 3 people total, ever having Val'nyr. Why? Because it was so difficult to get and every healer and their mother wanted shards. I've seen more people with the AQ battle-tank than I've seen with Val'nyr, though that's my personal experience and shouldn't detriment from the actual number of people with said two "legendary" items.

Further more, legendaries based on "luck" is... well let me put it plainly, it's fucking stupid. Take a look at GW2 legendaries. very little is involved with RNG. Want to know how to get GW2 legendaries? 200 hours (plus or minus) worth of work, including completing every map in the world, doing a shit ton of dungeons and wvwvw and just overall being a badass at the game. I, personally was really glad that the dev team started to push away from the super rng of legendaries, even though sigils, secrets and runestones are all RNG locked on a weekly lockout.

Lastly, what makes a legendary, legendary are multiple key factors. First of all, it's look. It has to look badass, I'm talking Mr.Torgue badass. Secondly, it has to feel like you spent enough time on it to warrant it being legendary, while at the same time not feeling pointlessly being cock blocked by rng (I'm looking at you second binding of thunderfury, Val'nyr fragments, glaives, bow, ect.) After a while a player will get sick of "will it drop, won't it drop, nyaahhhh". Discouraged players breed losses in subs. And third, and the final aspect of what makes a legendary, legendary, is the story behind it. Not only does it have to look badass, feel like it was worth it without over doing it, but it also needs to have a driving point in the lore. It needs to have a good story behind it with as much badassery as possible.

I'm not saying the cloaks accomplish all this, but not a lot of other legendaries do that either. Fangs of the Father, Tarecgosa, smourne and Sulfuras (strangely enough) all embody the three things that make legendaries, legendary. Sure, glaives have solid lore behind them and their look backs it up, but being rng blocked is the worst feeling. Same with the bow minus solid lore, as it's not exactly clear where the bow came from and wasn't exactly iconic like the Glaives or Smourne was for an expansion.

If I had to say two things I'm disappointed in the cloaks is the fact they are cloaks, and thus fuck with my xmoggs and have very loose lore behind them. -Granted- I do realize you and Wrathion have been spending all expansion making this badass thing, however it just doesn't really have iconic lore behind it other than "You made it, you are the lore", because that can be said for the turkey and biscuits I made last night.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2013-07-27 at 10:23 AM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Making it so 1-3 people get a legendary per tier is the dumbest idea ever conceived and implemented into this game. Nobody should have to play 'will suck dick/do anything/pay any amount' game.
    I can't understand. We are discussing that all people can acquire legendarys, but if the difficult isn't enough, the legendary item is trivialized.
    Nobody is talking to eliminate legendarys after the first 2 or 3 drops are done. Nobody talked about that.

In my opinion, a "legendary item" is something Legendary that a few have, but all the population server can try to acquire. Lore-wise should be a powerful item that belongs to wow-story and have context in the current raid. Unique quest-chains and raid-boss summoning is a very fun system to go for users, and if the quests needs a lot of users to be involved to try to continue give more special feeling to the item. Atiesh is a good example of a legendary (in the current content that was released), because only a few acquired them, all server could try (not locked doors, just a lot of effort to put), involved raids and a really nice lore behind.

I can actually understand people not wanting legendaries to feel completely watered down to the point of what epics have become. The only flaw i see with this argument is no, not everyone will have it. You don't just skip to the end of the legendary quest line and receive a free legendary cloak. Do i wish it was slightly harder to obtain? Of course. LFR probably shouldn't have the same drop chance as both normal and heroic for Runestones ect.

That said, Legendaries have been gradually getting easier and easier to obtain. So this has been on the cards for a long time now.

That said, it IS a cloak, not a weapon. The fact that there won't be weapons this time as a legendaries does at least in my mind mean they don't want everyone having something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmoonn;21889651

it used too in BC...when wow thrived.

[COLOR="#417394"
    - - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

so im guessing most people prefer if all the raiders have it on the server ? then it pretty much becomes an epic weapon.

I find this to be a pretty weak argument. BC didn't thrive because legendaries were rare and only a few people ever obtained them. Don't forget, WoW is a heck of a lot older now than it was in BC. There are also more Free to play options for MMOs than ever before. Both of which should be taken into consideration way before anything.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legendary never meant hardly anyone had it, Hardly anyone used to have the old legendaries, But really, IMO this cloak legendary is far more legendary than just something you hope drops randomly off a boss,

Legendary, means it's name is in Orange, that's all

10+ Year Old Account
    the chain to obtain the legendary has a lot of rng factors involved as well as skill, as well as time, so no not everyone will have one, at least not until more toward the last few months of the xpack. So don't worry about what others do, and worry about yourself?

Like Ted said in HIMYM, if every night is legendary, no night is legendary.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

discuss..it seems weird that when in bc i would see maybe 2-3 ppl with warglaives wotlk maybe 30-50 ppl server wide with shadowmourne , cataclysm almost every raiding rogue on frostmourne had the legendary , and towards DS most spell casters had the legendary. I liked it when getting a legendary made you actually stronger than 99% of the community , and it was all purely BASED on luck, because right now , a legendary item isnt so legendary when every damn raider in the world including LFRers have the item, or will eventually get the item.
    NO one bar high end raiders will have the fucking cloak you moron. want to know why?

celestial's blessing.
    its HARD really really hard.. you haven't done it yet? try that quest before complaining.

thank you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    You know there was a time when Legendary meant something and it usually meant something only to the guilds that could farm them and their "superstar" **INSERT CLASS HERE**. To everyone else in the game it was the equivalent of some moron sitting on Mirmidon's Head or Invincible outside the AH 24/7/365. Yeah, we get it, you're special.
    i agree 100% and i for one are happy i dont have to backtrack every week to old content to get more embers/runes or whatever so everyone in that class can have one

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    NO one bar high end raiders will have the fucking cloak you moron. want to know why?

celestial's blessing.
    its HARD really really hard.. you haven't done it yet? try that quest before complaining.

thank you.
    I have the cloak on my priest, killed jinrokh on normal once with that character.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

How would people feel about it if the items from the legendary quest chain were exactly the same as they are now but instead of being orange they were just purple ? Would people still care... It's just a colour.

I personally think the cloak is more worthy of being a legendary after a full expansion long grind to obtain it than say the legendary bow from Sunwell (the only legendary i've ever got from a tier during current content and in fact the only 1 on my server till after BC ended). It was and is just a random 7.5% drop chance from a boss with no special actions or grind required to obtain it beyond pure luck.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2013-07-27 at 11:00 AM.

Yes because it was soooo rewarding to clear BT for months back in BC, while in the server first guild without ever seeing either glaive drop only to have some scrub get it the first time he went in after the 3.0 nerf. Truly legendary effort being lucky.

Being able to earn the legendary is a much better alternative

so im guessing most people prefer if all the raiders have it on the server ? then it pretty much becomes an epic weapon.
    Does that really matter though ? It is just a colour... If it makes you feel better just consider that this xpac didn't contain a legendary and then next xpac if they have a "proper legendary" it will be even more special because it will have been so long since we had 1.

It's ok to me if more people have a legendary item, but I don't like the thought of being able to get a legendary item through the LFR system. It feels like I don't need a guild anymore to get a legendary item through raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Even if 'everyone' got one (which they won't), there will only be one per character at max. So its still an uncommon item in the grand scheme of things.

Warglaives were not rare late TBC. No serious Sunwell guild did without at least one Rogue/Fury Warrior without at least one of them (both if possible) - and if they didn't drop for them, they'd poach from other guilds..
    Oh really? We ran a 3 sometimes 4 rogue set up, we were server first from SSC on, were working on Muru when the 3.0 patch finally dropped and despite having been farming BT for months, we never saw one drop until maybe a week before the arrival of WOTLK. It was a craptacular design that impeded our progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    It's not a legendary in my mind. I want a legendary weapon. Hunters still the only class to not have a legendary BiS, as well as having gone the longest of any class without receiving a legendary. Not to mention Thori'dal had practically no lore behind it at all.
    Sunwell... Pretty sure that orange ranged weapon was pretty nifty for Hunters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    I have the cloak on my priest, killed jinrokh on normal once with that character.
    Pat yourself on the back, you can actually play your character.

The point is that people keep claiming "everyone" will get the legendary. Which is false. If "everyone" was going to get it, then currently "everyone" would have an item level 600 cape equipped.

A good number of people will get it, yes. And those people deserve to get it. They actually completed the grinds, completed the reputations, the raids, and most importantly of all completed the solo quest that I would put on line with solo quests prior that only gave you epics.

So you watched a video of a rogue AFKing his way to Titan Runestones or whatever. So, everyone's doing that now? I didn't AFK through squat. Your arguments are of a handful of people that only show that they can gather drops from LFR without doing anything in LFR. And? Did that rogue show a video of him completing the melee DPS challenge?

I personally do not care if you get it, or that rogue gets it, or Joe Nobody gets it. I am getting it. I deserve it. I put in the effort. I put in the time. I completed every single task required. And that is all I care about.

To be honest, maybe some of you should start realizing that it's not about everyone around you. It's just about what you did. Take some freaking personal pride for once in your miserable stinking lives that isn't based on what someone else accomplished and if you feel they are deserving or not. You did it. YOu put in the time, you put in the effort, you achieved all the required goals. You got a legendary cape. It will look awesome and feel awesome and be awesome. So what if other people have it? They will hopefully look and feel and be awesome, too. But that shouldn't be your concern. You just worry about you and take some pride in what you accomplished. It's okay. I won't tell anyone if you won't.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

I have it on 2 alts. My afflic warlock who has never killed a normal mode boss (yet still has 528 ilvl from fully upgraded 2/2 LFR, world boss and valor items and my frost mage who has done upto about 8/12 normal a couple of times and got to Lei Shen once. 1 shotted it on the mage and got it in about 4-5 tries on my lock (I did it as afflic since it's the only spec I know the spell rotation for. Probably far easier as destruction).
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2013-07-27 at 11:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    I agree with the OP. Legendary used to mean the item was actually rare
    And that wasonly the case because of the percentage of the players who ever seen the content where they dropped... Dropped.... The legendaries weren't something one had to work their ass off for. They were a matter of luck more than anything.. In theory (and I am sure that was true in practice too) one could kill the target bosses over and over again, and never get the item, while the next guy walks up, kills the target only once and BAM there is the legendary and he walks away with it...
    And that was a better solution? I think not.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

To me, it's more about the effort and less about the rarity. The old legendaries took no effort other than killing the bunch and getting really freaking lucky on the RNG. The current one actually takes quite a while to get. Frequent raiders will have it. Others won't.

Did you see what you responded to? You have the purple cloak.. I believe he means the final quest, the one to obtain the orange one is difficult. Im guessing he is in the PTR and had attempted it.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    I have it on 2 alts. My afflic warlock who has never killed a normal mode boss (yet still has 528 ilvl from fully upgraded 2/2 LFR, world boss and valor items and my frost mage who has done upto about 8/12 normal a couple of times and got to Lei Shen once. 1 shotted it on the mage and got it in about 4-5 tries on my lock (I did it as afflic since it's the only spec I know the spell rotation for. Probably far easier as destruction).
    Done it with my blood dk (ilvl 529 now 0/12 normal tot) on my second try, fucked up the first time on like 5% because i didnt know how to intercept the elementium bolts xD Guess I'm just pro.

On topic yeah I did grind all the crap and didnt afk my way through LFR so I deserve my god damn cloak.