Page 1 of 2
LastLast

World of Warcraft Players: Why We Hate Everyone and Everything...

It's no secret that World of Warcraft players hate themselves, hate the game, and hate everyone who plays it.

And everyone who doesn't.

It's evidenced by the rampant trolling, animosity and highly obscene, profane and immature conduct that has become pervasive not only in-game and on the forums, but has also spilled over onto WoW fansites like a jiggly, pasty white, stretch-marked, muffintop.

In my opinion, the wellspring of our indiscriminate hate for everyone and everything flows not from our relationship with other players, but rather from our relationship with the game.

And ourselves.

Most players are blissfully unaware of the sad, cruel truth that our obsession with the World of Warcraft is no accident, and stems from the fact that it is a living breathing organism (parasite?) on a mission to befriended us. To get close it us. To endear us to it. To always be there for us in our time of need.

Unless it's Tuesday morning.

Just as the sirens of Greek Mythology waylaid sailors upon their rocky shoals, it's always beckoning to us. Calling to us with its songs.

Mostly written by Jason Hayes.

In essence, the game meets all of the basic needs that we, as human beings, require:

• Companionship: The lifelong friendships we forge with the world weary travelers that we meet in dungeons, raids, scenarios or BG's, or even just the kind words of our favorite NPC's (/dwarf accent "Watch your back!" /end dwarf accent)
    • A sense of belonging: Our Guild members, team members and raid members treat us as one of their own. They encourage us and protect us. It's like our very own Fight Club, but with less bruises, and less bombs made from discarded human fat.
    • Self esteem: Maybe we get our jollies by flaunting our Arena Master, Gladiator, or Patient titles, or our new Transmog, or flashy new Heroic raid weapons and armor, or achievements, or mounts.
    • Intimacy: ERP, The Goldshire Inn, cybering, naked girls dancing on mailboxes, or genuinely connecting with other players who share our passion, or maybe just going HAM with the /flirt
    • Unconditional love: The game doesn't judge us, it doesn't know if we are a good person or bad person. It doesn't recognize our mistakes outside of the game. It just exists, and is always happy to see us.

It's because of this special bond that we share with the game that we become so passionate about it. Do dedicated. So involved.

We open up our hearts, our souls, and our wallets, and give them over so completely. So freely. We are so vulnerable, yet the game wraps us in its tender, loving, Yogg-Saronish embrace, and tells us that everything will be alright.

Just keep playing. Just keep paying.

Oh, and have you heard about our cash shop?

You don't realize it, but this is the reason that some of you spend more time playing WoW than you do with your family or loved ones. It fills a void they can't.

But unfortunately, just as with any real life relationship, the honeymoon period ends (Vanilla?), and you suddenly find yourself annoyed by all the little things you've never noticed about your partner before.

For instance, when the Mists of Pandaria expansion introduced the reputation grind system, it was like walking into the bathroom to find your perfect, precious, beautiful girlfriend hunkered down on the commode, grunting, face grimaced, with that little vein in her forehead bulging as she drops a massive six-coiler.

*plunk* Oh, sweet Jesus, the smell...

Cute and quirky "quality of life" issues that you used to find so adorable about him or her now have you screaming at your monitor, pounding on your keyboard, and frothing with unbridled rage on the forums.

But at this point, it's too late.

Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

You and WoW have already been together so long that it has become part of your identity.

You've merged into one being. Physically. Emotionally. Spiritually.

Now, no matter how dissatisfied you are with the relationship, you can't imagine your life without it.

Walking away from everything you've worked so hard to build and acquire over the last few years will do nothing but leave a giant, gaping hole in your heart.

And then there is the matter of community property.

Who gets the pets?

You sacrificed everything you had for this game. You gave up your real life friends. Your education. Your career. You shunned your family. You dedicated every waking moment to it, and this is what you get in exchange?

It's at this point you turn bitter, jaded and resentful.

Maybe you get a touch of depression. You start to let yourself go. You put on a little weight. Your hygiene worsens. Your acne flares up. Your self-image crumbles.

Your confidence, charisma and gravitas abandoned you, and were replaced by their fat, ugly cousins: self-doubt, self loathing and a raging case of the stage 2 diabeetus.

Who would want you now? In the shape you're in? With all of your emotional baggage? Your social awkwardness?

All that's left behind is an angry husk of a human being. Angry at the game. Angry at the players. Angry at the developers. Angry at everyone.

You hate them all.

It's their fault.

They did this to you.

It did this to you.

There's only one thing left to do: scream, and yell, and hate everything and everyone...

Yes, that's technically three things.

...and make everyone hate it as much as you do.

...And make everyone hate you as much as you do.
    Last edited by Killadrix; 2013-07-29 at 02:46 PM.

Good read, and I can neither confirm nor deny that I feel exactly the same way lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I don't know what's worse the Call of Duty community or the WoW community. It seems like people these days can't just find fun in a game so they rather complain and whine about how much the game sucks and how they don't have a certain thing or mechanic in the game that they want.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

This pretty much happens when you let any addiction run your life. WoW is not the first and will not be the last to do it.

Deleted
    Awesome read and extremely correct in a lot of people's eyes (but will they see/admit it).....

From the quote:
    For instance, when the Mists of Pandaria expansion introduced the reputation grind system, it was like walking into the bathroom to find your perfect, precious, beautiful girlfriend hunkered down on the commode, grunting, face grimaced, with that little vein in her forehead bulging as she drops a massive six-coiler.

I couldn't take the smell so unsubbed.... and from the state of the game/community doesn't look like I'll be re-subbing in the future

Deleted
    I am incredibly thankful that WoW died on its own for me. "Walking away from everything you've worked so hard to build and acquire over the last few years will do nothing but leave a giant, gaping hole in your heart." This is how I was thinking around WotLK. And then Cataclysm came out. I sincerely thank you Blizzard.

It's a great game and all, and I don't want to speak for everyone, but there are plenty of times over the years for me personally it sucked up so much time and at the moment I didn't even notice. Then there's a change, or your friends stop playing that makes it less enjoyable and I 'snap out of it'. I looked around and realized I put on 20lbs, harmed some real life relationships by extensive neglect, etc. Never got to an extreme, but I can definitely relate.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2013-07-29 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonof View Post
    Awesome read and extremely correct in a lot of people's eyes (but will they see/admit it).....

From the quote:

I couldn't take the smell so unsubbed.... and from the state of the game/community doesn't look like I'll be re-subbing in the future
    That six-coiler will get you every time.

OP, I think you need to go outside more. I know the sun light may burn, but it is good for you.

I do not agree with what you claim. I do not hate myself or anyone else, minus the ones that assume they are awesome and they don't need any dps for the dungeon.

Go outside, go for a walk, see a movie, find a boyfriend/girlfriend if you're into that weird stuff find both. Breath, it will be alright. Now excuse me, my LFR just popped. :P

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I am a WoW player and I don't hate anyone. I also don't hate the game.
    Honeymoon phase.

Give it time!

Hahahah, entertaining read.

Trust me though. Most of us real hardcore or progressed players are cool and look to help others. I know I do. Sure, sometimes I act a bit elitist in a random, but on my alts, other players are usually shocked if they see my main and how geared he is due to my personality while leveling and such.

I will say this though, you hit the nail on the head. It's funny, because on my first real there was this guild that was like top 30 US and you literally could NEVER talk to any of them because each and every one of them would troll you the second you did. That guild got broken up because of a female player going in and doing so. A few flirts and deviously intentional seduction broke the entire guild up. So yeah, the tough guys had no idea how to deal with a chick. Stereotypical socially handicapped losers.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post
    It's funny, because on my first real there was this guild that was like top 30 US and you literally could NEVER talk to any of them because each and every one of them would troll you the second you did. That guild got broken up because of a female player going in and doing so. A few flirts and deviously intentional seduction broke the entire guild up. So yeah, the tough guys had no idea how to deal with a chick. Stereotypical socially handicapped losers.
    Yeah, this is the EXACT kind of nonsense that drove me away from raiding.

Deleted
    good effort at trolling, but just no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    good effort at trolling, but just no.
    error, does not compute

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what's worse the Call of Duty community or the WoW community. It seems like people these days can't just find fun in a game so they rather complain and whine about how much the game sucks and how they don't have a certain thing or mechanic in the game that they want.
    You know what common trait these two communities share? They are both quite sizable. I'm sure if you take any decently sized community and give them access to anonymity, a keyboard and an internet connection then you will sure to find a percentage of people in that community who just love to complain. Hell, I know people who actually complain about living. Some people like a "whinge"; deal with it and stop thinking it's an exclusive or unique to any particular community.
    OT I hate neither myself , other gamers who I will never meet in my lifetime nor a game which I can quit at anytime. Seems strange that in your list of reasons we play the game you didn't include "fun" or "killing the boredom" or "I can't be bothered starting that new 100 book page I bought so I'll just log in for a bit".

Deleted
    Wooow... That was some feelings brought to life

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cashzilla View Post
    error, does not compute
    you'll get there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    LoL community? I would say its LoL, CoD than WoW for worse communities from a personal stand point.

Put back to the OP's post, its a very good read & I actually toke the time to read through it, not everything I agree with but many things did bring a smile to my face.

Does getting pissed off, mad and nuts when wiping numerous times in pugs (LFR don't count, get used to it) and then yelling at them counts as hate?

I laughed. I did un-sub once we downed H Will of the Emperor, the reputation grind had burned me out. Came back though 4 months later. Overall I'm happy though.
    I've never played LoL, but I've heard it has a horrible player base.