View Poll Results: What level to start at?

Voters
161. This poll is closed

29 18.01%

22 13.66%

24 14.91%

54 33.54%

23 14.29%

9 5.59%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

If New Hero Class in Nexpac

... what level should it start at?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly feel that the hero class concept was one of the worst ideas Blizzard ever came up with. I understand why they did it, but man was it terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I honestly feel that the hero class concept was one of the worst ideas Blizzard ever came up with. I understand why they did it, but man was it terrible.
    But in recent interviews, as off the front page of MMO-Champ, GhostCrawler stated that if they were to implement a new class it was probably going to be a hero class

Deleted
    The only thing about it being terrible is they honestly thought one class should be inherently more powerful than the others. The rest of it regarding lore, special starting area, abilities, and so on was excellent and is probably one of the most meritable things in WoW atm imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggel View Post
    But in recent interviews, as off the front page of MMO-Champ, GhostCrawler stated that if they were to implement a new class it was probably going to be a hero class
    That isn't what Ghostcrawler said.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Won't be one next expansion.

But in Expansion VI (the level 100 expansion) I suspect there'll be Demon Hunter added, and it'll start at 65.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    The only thing about it being terrible is they honestly thought one class should be inherently more powerful than the others. The rest of it regarding lore, special starting area, abilities, and so on was excellent and is probably one of the most meritable things in WoW atm imho.
    Agreed. Like I said, I understood why they had to do it for Death Knights to be a class. The problem is that DK players believed that they should be inherently more powerful than other classes because they were playing a "hero class". Once DKs were balanced, their population numbers started to tank.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hear this from people and I don't understand why. The only differnce is they start at 55 and you have to have at least 1 character at 55 to create one. So what's the problem?

Is it that people feel that you don't learn your class as well when you start so late? I don't think that's the case.

So why? Do people feel that everyone should suffer the 1-55 grind eveytime they roll a new character?

Honestly i'd be ok if every class starts at the same level of the expansion you are on. Having to trudge through old content for the sake of 'because' is silly and pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    That isn't what Ghostcrawler said.
    He said it wasn't an impossibility. Which, given how the Monk failed miserably because of how it started at level 1, means it's almost a certainty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ijoemomma View Post
    I hear this from people and I don't understand why. The only differnce is they start at 55 and you have to have at least 1 character at 55 to create one. So what's the problem?

Is it that people feel that you don't learn your class as well when you start so late? I don't think that's the case.

So why? Do people feel that everyone should suffer the 1-55 grind eveytime they roll a new character?

Honestly i'd be ok if every class starts at the same level of the expansion you are on. Having to trudge through old content for the sake of 'because' is silly and pointless.
    DK started out blatantly overpowered, and Blizz admitted it was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    He said it wasn't an impossibility. Which, given how the Monk failed miserably because of how it started at level 1, means it's almost a certainty.
    Yeah, I was going to say this; the Monk representation at endgame was below what Blizzard wanted/expected, and the 90-level haul (even with class xp bonuses) was a large part of it. I included "1" as an option though, because people should be allowed to disagree.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    55 fitted to DK's because of the plaguelands.
    If we get a Demon Hunter hero class level 65 would suit them right because of outlands.
    A Tinker class could maybe interact with level 55 because of the cataclysm that happend and did something to azeroth, they would have to start at a changed azeroth location....
    I honestly have no idea. It all depends on the storyline.

10+ Year Old Account
    LoL! Monks didn't fail miserably. The problem was that new players couldn't access them, and old players didn't want to start from level 1 because MoP wasn't very alt-friendly. Monks have a good reputation among the WoW community, and there isn't that sheer level of disdain that a lot of players showed towards DKs in WotLK, and continue to show to the present day.

Over time, Monks will grow to become one of WoW's more popular classes. It's just going to take time for them to get there.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-07-30 at 03:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    LoL! Monks didn't fail miserably. The problem was that new players couldn't access them, and old players didn't want to start from level 1 because MoP wasn't very alt-friendly. Monks have a good reputation among the WoW community, and there isn't that sheer level of disdain that a lot of players showed towards DKs in WotLK, and continue to show to the present day.

Over time, Monks will grow to become one of WoW's more popular classes. It's just going to take time for them to get there.
    Monks are the least played class in the entire game, while DK is one of the top 3.

I'd say that's a failure. Players won't suddenly realize "Hey, Monks are cool" they'll continue to say "Oh, it's a monk."

Now we can potentially have a discussion on if this is actually how alt-unfriendly MoP was compared to Wrath...

10+ Year Old Account
    Monks are the least played class in the entire game, while DK is one of the top 3.
    Actually DK is more like 4th in US realms, and 6th in EU realms;

http://wow.realmpop.com/

So they're middle of the pack.

And all indications are that they are dropping population-wise;

I'd say that's a failure. Players won't suddenly realize "Hey, Monks are cool" they'll continue to say "Oh, it's a monk."

Now we can potentially have a discussion on if this is actually how alt-unfriendly MoP was compared to Wrath...
    Actually if you read the official forums, Monks are considered one of the best and enjoyable tanks in the game, and their healing spec continues to be considered one of the best in the game. The problem is that MoP required a lot to get to raiding tier, and a lot of people were intimidated by the Monk's playstyle.

Now, with that said, I can understand why Blizzard would consider a hero class that starts at level 55 or above. Advanced players don't want to start at level 1, even if its easier to reach max level (like the Monk's EXP bonuses for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hitandruntactic View Post
    DKs are still the best soloing class in the game. Blood DKs, when played well are practical immortal. Their numbers tanked when they went from being faceroll OP, like all FotM, but well played ones are still very potent.

No they didn't. You are full of assumptions you like to present as facts. What failed miserably was leveling from 1 to 90 then having to grind rep just to get valor gear. That killed off alts in general, especially a new class starting from the beginning. Having to drag through Outland and Northrend *yet again* is also a huge pain. Monks didn't fail they are under-represented, perhaps if Blizz gave them unique class quests in the expansion centered about them instead of giving all their attention to warlocks, more players would be inclined to roll a monk for the "cool stuff" they could get.
    I brought that up above you, at least as far as dailies killing the desire to roll alts is concerned.

But where a lot of us gave up on Monk, myself included, was not as having one as an alt. It's as having one as a main.

1-90 is a huge grind, and I myself gave out in Howling Fjord. But even then if you parse all characters 10-90, Monk remains a bottom 3 class while DK (same stretch of levels) is top 3.

This isn't a problem of players giving up, it's a problem of players not even wanting to start one. In part because the class was entirely fluid up to the point of release and even into patch 5.2 continued to have a lot of DPS changes.

Blizz should have included the Beta ability reminding Monk that "Windwalker isn't finalized yet" on the live release.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo
    Actually DK is more like 4th in US realms, and 6th in EU realms;

http://wow.realmpop.com/

So they're middle of the pack.

And all indications are that they are dropping population-wise;
    On the site you provided, if we're only looking at level 90 :

- US : DK 3 / Monk last
    - EU : DK 4 / Monk last

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    ... what level should it start at?

If they want a catchup mechanic, then they can bring in new combos - e.g. NElf mages start at 80 for example - but new classes should start at L1.

I expect a Legacy system has a good chance of being integrated into the game given the complaints about alts, so there'd be even less reason to worry about catchup.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    55 = 80 = 25 levels difference.
    75 = 100 = 25 levels difference.

So i would say at 75.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yem View Post
    On the site you provided, if we're only looking at level 90 :

- US : DK 3 / Monk last
    - EU : DK 4 / Monk last
    Nice disclaimer there.

DKs have also been in the game for 5 years and get a 55 level head start. Monks have been in the game for 8 months, and start at level 1.

Let's also not forget that Blizzard decided to not make Monks blatantly OP at the start of MoP. Their healing was a bit out of control, but they were weak in PvP. When DKs were introduced (and honestly throughout WotLK), they dominated PvP. A lot of people switched to DKs for that reason alone.

I don't think the next class will be in the next expansion, but the one after since we just had monk so,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    55 = 80 = 25 levels difference.
    75 = 100 = 25 levels difference.

So i would say at 75.
    I'm going with this