The Demise of World PvP

Back in the days when World of Warcraft was shiny and new, players everywhere took part in a bloody sport called World PvP. This sport could happen almost anywhere in the world, although there were many preferred locations. There were no real rewards for this, except for the glory, the honor, and the thrill of gathering up some companions and going and ganking one of the other faction's cities or towns.

However, as the game has aged, World PvP has almost died out. Most World of Warcraft veterans will talk fondly of it and occasionally a group of die hard players will gather to assault a city, however, it seems the days of World PvP are numbered. What caused the demised of this once beloved activity?

Endless Guard Spawns

Back in the good old days when you killed town guards they stayed good and dead, at least for a long while. Not so in more recent years. Town guards nowadays reappear almost as soon as they are killed. This makes getting into towns and cities especially difficult. In fact unless you have a very organized raid group, it could be close to nearly impossible. This quick guard spawn effectively ended any spur of the moment assaults and thus aided in the downfall of World PvP.

Player Enjoyment

Believe it or not, not everyone in game was cool with being killed in World PvP in a PvP server. Blizzard saw this as a 'problem' and has made adjustments (such as faster guard spawn) to help balance this out, instead of encouraging the complainers to transfer to a PvE server. However, these adjustments, designed to make those who didn't want to participate in PvP in a PvP server have a better play experience, severely hindered World PvP.

Flying Mounts

World PvP often happened spontaneously as groups were traversing the landscape. Flying mounts have pretty much made it so that players can go from point A to point B without ever touching the ground. This leaves little room for players to meet up in out of the way outposts and decide to take over the town. Why stop in to favorite World PvP places like the Crossroads when you can fly right over to get to your destination?

Thank you for reading.

Here's another good reason people don't do World PvP anymore: people have better things to do.

Back when World PvP was at its heyday, there were no Battlegrounds, no Arenas, no Conquest Points, no Daily Quests, no Scenarios, no Heroic Dungeons, no Valor Points, no accessible Raids (LFG or otherwise), no Pet Battles, no Brawlers' Guild. Players literally had much less to do with the game, and so jumped at the first opportunity to go out there and one-shot or stunlock someone. People could afford to just wander around Tarren Mill/Southshore or Stranglethorn Vale looking for a fight without feeling they were missing out on other things.

And, of course, there were fewer servers back then, and so they were much more highly populated (game was still new, yadda yadda). So it was easier to get people to band together at any given time. At least Connected Realms (aka. Virtual Realms) should help with this element at least.
    Last edited by Holtzmann; 2013-08-06 at 06:44 PM.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NarutoBestAnime View Post
    Endless Guard Spawns

Back in the good old days when you killed town guards they stayed good and dead, at least for a long while. Not so in more recent years. Town guards nowadays reappear almost as soon as they are killed. This makes getting into towns and cities especially difficult. In fact unless you have a very organized raid group, it could be close to nearly impossible. This quick guard spawn effectively ended any spur of the moment assaults and thus aided in the downfall of World PvP.
    The guards on PvP servers are pathetic. I'm pretty sure I could take 50 of them alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just think blizzard needs to remove level 90 guards from towns.

1) They are useless as hell, like who dies from them, basicly nobody =/
    2) It would be more fun for levelers to attack towns this way so they can feel a little how end game WPvP is.
    Let them have some enjoyment too outside questing all day everyday till they are max level =/

Sadly blizzard doesn't do this :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Deleted
    Players need to start more WPVP, dont be lazy and just blame Blizzard for all your problems, my server yesterday raided org with 80 people. Thats because someone on my server decided to start 2 groups. Why dont you try and and maybe WPVP will come back for you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phan View Post
    Players need to start more WPVP, dont be lazy and just blame Blizzard for all your problems, my server yesterday raided org with 80 people. Thats because someone on my server decided to start 2 groups. Why dont you try and and maybe WPVP will come back for you
    No need to tell this on my Realm, Outland.
    80 man raids is really common there, they even do 120 man Orgrimmar raids from time to time.

Also towns like Goldshire are daily under attack like 24/7 x)

10+ Year Old Account
    Wpvp is probably the most active source of entertainment on my server. Everyone does it. Stormwind and Orgrimmar are constantly under attack along with darkshire, SMC ironforge and various other bases throughout Azeroth. Wpvp is not dead for us come to emerald dream =D

10+ Year Old Account
    There's plenty of WPVP on RP servers like Wyrmrest Accord, Moon Guard, and Earthen Ring.

If you want to know why there's no WPVP on most servers, it's because what most players define as "world pvp" seems to consist of ganking people 30+ levels blow them and then running away when a max level defender shows up.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    No need to tell this on my Realm, Outland.
    80 man raids is really common there, they even do 120 man Orgrimmar raids from time to time.

Also towns like Goldshire are daily under attack like 24/7 x)
    I play on outland and I barely see any 80 man raids, except by the annoying guild called Honor Capped. Goldshire is also barely ever under attack because of the lack of Horde on the server :/

Seems good to me atm. Only boring thing is the gear advantage some people have but it has always been like that and won't be fixed for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    I play on outland and I barely see any 80 man raids, except by the annoying guild called Honor Capped. Goldshire is also barely ever under attack because of the lack of Horde on the server :/
    Maybe Outland is so f*cking huge you don't get any players from other realms.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    There's plenty of WPVP on RP servers like Wyrmrest Accord, Moon Guard, and Earthen Ring.

If you want to know why there's no WPVP on most servers, it's because what most players define as "world pvp" seems to consist of ganking people 30+ levels blow them and then running away when a max level defender shows up.
    Player vs Player, That's WPvP doesn't matter if ur level 1000 and he is level 5, that's still Player Versus Player.
    And there is much more WPVP in WoW then people make it believe.

People just don't look for it hard enough or put to less effort into it. Yes of course it will feel like there isn't any WPvP.

Do /join worlddefense on my server it goes off 24/7 like crazy.

Plenty to go on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    There is plenty of WPvP, and Goldshire is not 24/7 under attack, kinda my statement.
    But it's under attack daily like 3-4 times.

But most of times early in morning and late in night.

And we got Kazzak Cross-realmed they are fully horde, sadly.

Deleted
    Lol, 80 men raids. A very large horde raid wanted to attack SW. What actually happened ? 3-6 sec lag and players appearing and disappearing from in front of you due to some sort of phasing or some crap to avoid crowding.

Wpvp, brah.

Player vs Player, That's WPvP doesn't matter if ur level 1000 and he is level 5, that's still Player Versus Player.

People just don't look for it hard enough or put to less effort into it. Yes of course it will feel like there isn't any WPvP.

Do /join worlddefense on my server it goes off 24/7 like crazy.

Plenty to go on.
    We had an entire thread of people discussing semantics about lowbie farming being PvP. If it's so important to you to have that pathethic playstyle acknowledged as WPvP then fine, but it's not the World PvP anyone thinks about when missing the old days.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggis View Post
    Lol, 80 men raids. A very large horde raid wanted to attack SW. What actually happened ? 3-6 sec lag and players appearing and disappearing from in front of you due to some sort of phasing or some crap to avoid crowding.

Wpvp, brah.
    Having people from Cross realm won't work with CRZ.

Luckily in 5.4 (a little after 5.4 launch) we will have connected/virtual realms, and everything is same as a usual realm then. So that will be gone the phasing =)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    We had an entire thread of people discussing semantics about lowbie farming being PvP. If it's so important to you to have that pathethic playstyle acknowledged as WPvP then fine, but it's not the World PvP anyone thinks about when missing the old days.
    Think of it how you like, it's still WPvP if you like it or not.
    And back in the days they ganked too, so nothing new at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, it's funny, but most people don't enjoy getting ganked with 0 chance to escape or survive, and most people don't enjoy getting corpse camped. Funny how that works.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama