Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Computer Upgrade!

Hello everyone,

So I've recently started playing tera and done my first battleground and it was unbearable so I was wondering what I should upgrade on my computer to get better FPS, here are my current pc specs.

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4170 Quad-Core Processor 4.20GHz
    Installed memory: 8.00 GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
    Approx Total Memort: 4835 MB

10+ Year Old Account
    What's your budget?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    It depends on what I need to upgrade I suppose but it won't be anything amazing :S

Quote Originally Posted by CerkieGaming View Post
    It depends on what I need to upgrade I suppose but it won't be anything amazing :S
    You're looking at a GPU, CPU and mobo upgrade, possibly RAM too depending on your current one.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    So basically a new computer?

So basically a new computer?
    Almost. You can probably save the case, the hdd and maybe the PSU.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted

That's still a decent setup. Honestly if I was you I'd just upgrade the graphics card and/or add an ssd. But if you absolutely want to upgrade everything then that's a different story.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

RAM is fine, HDD is fine too. Case seems to be good too.
    The PSU doesn't really seem a quality one so I'd rather change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    That's still a decent setup. Honestly if I was you I'd just upgrade the graphics card and/or add an ssd. But if you absolutely want to upgrade everything then that's a different story.
    The processor will be struggling on a MMO such as Tera when multiple people are present.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    You're looking at a GPU, CPU and mobo upgrade, possibly RAM too depending on your current one.
    Nah he is good with 8GB or ram chances of it beeing lower than 1300Mhz is really low so he wouldn't notice a performance increase unless he runs a benchmark to see one. The other sure well mobo CPU atleast. 7700 is still current gen gfx card and is most likley not the issue. Tera is a MMO? and in that case it should be down to CPU however OP should be able to run just fine if he tunes the settings down a bit.

and to OP: We really can't give you any advice unless we know what kind of budget we have to work with and what settings you are looking to play at. For example if you are running a resoloution above 1920*1080 and want to run at ultra settings or are you running at 1920*1080 and are looking to play at medium settings?

- - - Updated - - -

RAM is fine, HDD is fine too. Case seems to be good too.
    The PSU doesn't really seem a quality one so I'd rather change that.

The processor will be struggling on a MMO such as Tera when multiple people are present.
    PSU seems to work tho so no need to change that. Just because its known to maybe not perform that well if OP aint suffering from a crash due to PSU not beeing able to supply the power needed it would be diffrent tho. so basicly don't go buying stuff because it has better rep than what you are using just because you can better off spending that money someplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangra View Post
    Nah he is good with 8GB or ram chances of it beeing lower than 1300Mhz is really low so he wouldn't notice a performance increase unless he runs a benchmark to see one. The other sure well mobo CPU atleast. 7700 is still current gen gfx card and is most likley not the issue. Tera is a MMO? and in that case it should be down to CPU however OP should be able to run just fine if he tunes the settings down a bit.
    While being a MMO, so indeed the CPU takes priority, switching to a 650 ti boost or a 660 will definitely have tangible effects on the OP's performance.

While intel is ahead, I'd hardly say it'll be struggling. I used to have an AMD setup prior to this and it ran WoW/SWtOR just fine. Anyway, OP we need a price range.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Deleted
    Budget would be around £330/$500, I want to upgrade as little as possible, supposedly tera doesn't like AMD much or something

Budget would be around £330/$500, I want to upgrade as little as possible, supposedly tera doesn't like AMD much or something
    Now we've got something to work with. Perhaps a 4670k+z87 mobo would be a good upgrade for you, for MMOs your graphics wont matter that much so you can upgrade that later.

Very few games do. Most games use 2 cores at most, and Intel is way ahead on IPC than AMD.

This is probably your best upgrade for the time being, if you plan on upgrading the graphics card when it starts delivering less-than-wanted performance. (recommended)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£184.24 @ CCL Computers)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 120 75.8 CFM CPU Cooler (£37.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£91.32 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £313.46
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-08 23:17 BST+0100)

This, instead, is probably your best bet if you plan to stick with whatever you get now until you completely change your PC over.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£88.79 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£66.55 @ Ebuyer)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£147.96 @ Dabs)
    Total: £303.30
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-08 23:19 BST+0100)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangra View Post
    PSU seems to work tho so no need to change that. Just because its known to maybe not perform that well if OP aint suffering from a crash due to PSU not beeing able to supply the power needed it would be diffrent tho. so basicly don't go buying stuff because it has better rep than what you are using just because you can better off spending that money someplace else.
    Bad quality PSU usually have a few problems:
    - they degrade fast in time, which means someday your system will simply not boot
    - they don't provide high amp on the +12V rail, which means they can't even start up middle-to-high end GPUs

Remember that a PSU blowing up can easily damage other components of your computer, you don't want to cheap out on it.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2013-08-08 at 10:24 PM.

Go with the first build, there is no reason to buy outdated tech when you can get the newest tech for a few dollars more.

Deleted
    Very few games do. Most games use 2 cores at most, and Intel has way ahead IPC than AMD does.

This is probably your best upgrade for the time being, if you plan on upgrading the graphics card when it starts delivering less-than-wanted performance. (recommended)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£184.24 @ CCL Computers)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 120 75.8 CFM CPU Cooler (£37.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£91.32 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £313.46
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-08 23:17 BST+0100)

This, instead, is probably your best bet if you plan to stick with whatever you get now until you completely change your PC over.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£88.79 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£66.55 @ Ebuyer)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£147.96 @ Dabs)
    Total: £303.30
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-08 23:19 BST+0100)

Bad quality PSU usually have a few problems:
    - they degrade fast in time, which means someday your system will simply not boot
    - they don't provide high amp on the +12V rail, which means they can't even start up middle-to-high end GPUs

Remember that a PSU blowing up can easily damage other components of your computer, you don't want to cheap out on it.
    #1 is probably the best one he can get atm tho as his current GPU should last him another year atleast before really needed to be upgraded so he can save another £300 up and get a real good one. Yes PSU is tricky altho ive had my chieftec for 3+ years and even tho it has bad rep ive never had any issues with it so I suppose it is as with all other PC parts sometimes you get a bad one sometimes you don't.

Go with the first build, there is no reason to buy outdated tech when you can get the newest tech for a few dollars more.
    There actually is, when those "few dollars" are actually 120£ = 186$. While in this specific case I recommend going the first route as well, on a budget recommending ivy bridge until Haswell brings its i3 lineup out is actually the best you can do.

There actually is, when those "few dollars" are actually 120£ = 186$. While in this specific case I recommend going the first route as well, on a budget recommending ivy bridge until Haswell brings its i3 lineup out is actually the best you can do.
    I dunno if your links are wrong or whatever but for me it's showing the first build at 313 pounds and the second at 303 pounds. Either way the second build doesn't need a z77 since the cpu cannot be overclocked.

I dunno if your links are wrong or whatever but for me it's showing the first build at 313 pounds and the second at 303 pounds. Either way the second build doesn't need a z77 since the cpu cannot be overclocked.
    The second one has a new graphics card tbh, and the board isn't Z77 but H77.