Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Gearwise, you are losing a ton of str due to dualspec tank (JC gems, gloves and bracer enchant etc) so there's that. So I know you asked to overlook it, but still, you can be self-indulgent due to this first part.
    Then, you have a 530 weap, which is not bad, but with the 15% buff to SoL, when you'll get that 543-549, the bump will be so huge you'll make your first spec guildies cry.

Try to time your Execution Sentence better with those last ticks of feather. For instance first was suboptimal, and second could have been timed with both 10/10 feather and zandalari proc, which is a huge boost.

As for the SW rotation : use CS>Exo, because with your weapon, I watched your pull, and after trinkets faded you hit the boss for 75k+ with CS+HoL, against 60k+ with Exo, non crit both.

This means, you should fish for holytv proc imo, and I personally use the following rotation during SW :

HoW>CS>HoW>Exo if holyTVproc/CS if no proc>HoW>TV

rinse and repeat

other than that, on tortos : cleave those turtles (bats? kited ? killed too far from melees ?) with DS/glyphed exo! be sure to target the turtle for your Exos/HotR because of the huge hitbox of the boss. Targeting tortos trying to cleave won't work otherwise. (You can even judge turtles as they pass behind your back with mouseover macros if you really want to min/max dps gain).

Meagaera is just one shitty rng fight, so cross fingers and save your CDs for every NEW head, otherwise you'll watch yourself losing 10-15sec on SW effective uptime. Cleave those adds with DS/glyphed exo if you can. You died mid-fight, so don't draw any conclusion on this number

Durumu tries : cleave walls a bit IF NEEDED (like : your AOE pros are dead and no RB for them), but I'd rather stick with fully single target boss and somewhat clleave red adds with DS if positionning allows it (boss hitbox is enormous) and if no holytv procced.

Your in uptime is good, but be sure to always prioritize CS>J, since I can see 69HP from CS/HotR against 66 from J on tortos. This gap seems too close. Maybe because you hit J when CS and J cooldowns clashes and they will be up at the same time. Be sure to rather hit CS.

Well, if there is anything that's not clear, feel free to ask

If you're coming here for answers about your rotation, etc. You can get your questions answered by reading some of the reviews for other Retribution Paladins. Most likely the information will pertain to you and them. The best thing you can do is keep up with the theorycrafting threads on this forum or ElitistJerks. That way you're up to date on all the new information. This will help you be a better Ret Paladin and only takes a couple minutes a day.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    [B]Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Rapahel/simple
    [B]Worldoflogs Link: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/ef18c...um/damageDone/
    [B]Questions, concerns, expectations:Mainly I feel I should be doing more DPS. I am a new Retribution player after being Holy for a long time. So any help that you can provide would be great since I am learning.
    [B]Description of Playstyle:I am using Clc ret and I have this listed inq inqdp tv5 tvdp inqes inqhpr inqlh howaw exoaw tvaw how exo jhow cs j tv3 ss. Is this wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hskrprd View Post
    [B]Questions, concerns, expectations:Mainly I feel I should be doing more DPS. I am a new Retribution player after being Holy for a long time. So any help that you can provide would be great since I am learning.
    [B]Description of Playstyle:I am using Clc ret and I have this listed inq inqdp tv5 tvdp inqes inqhpr inqlh howaw exoaw tvaw how exo jhow cs j tv3 ss. Is this wrong?
    Going by heroic Jin your damage looks about where it should be considering you have a 502 weapon. Once you get an upgrade there you'll notice a decent jump. Your priority system looks fine, I know there has been some recent discussion about CS overtaking Exo at a certain point in weapon damage(I'm not sure of the exact point you switch but there is discussion about it on the Ret EJ thread around post #738 if you want to keep up with it).

Your damage on Council could improve by rolling censure on multiple targets (you may be already doing this and it just might be differences in haste, but just in case). I noticed you had 225 ticks over the course of a 7min45sec fight, comparing that to my most recent kill with 253 ticks over 3min51 sec. Also recommend glyphing mass exo for it and using Light's Hammer, along with using HoTR and DS instead of CS and TV(yell at people if they aren't stacking so you can take advantage of cleaving properly). Horridon is pretty much the same deal, make use of HoTR and DS on adds, mass exo may be useful but I don't think they would stay alive long enough on normal to make use of Light's Hammer.

Overall for a new Ret it looks like you're on the right track and as you get more gear and experience with the spec and can take advantage of encounter specific stuff you'll notice your numbers skyrocketing.

1. CS > J > Exo is now because of weapon damage but mostly because of the Sword of Light buff. It should definitely change your priority.
    2. Divine Storm if you have 2 targets within the 8 yards. Only use HotR if there's 4+. If all 4 aren't together then using it will be a DPS loss.
    3. Light's Hammer, you also have to make sure you're getting 2 targets on it for the duration. If not, then you're better off using ES.
    4. I would get your belt's socket bonus.
    5. Really need that 4th set piece. Your DPS will go up from just the bonus alone. (I know this is a given.)
    6. JC is a pretty bad profession currently because of the way gems operate and our stat priority. Engineering would give you a boost. Not sure if it's worth to you to switch, though. That's a personal decision.
    7. I think there's a good VP cloak/ring. Should be your next purchases, IMO. Drop some of that hit for you.
    8. I didn't look at your logs, didn't have time, but make sure you're using your ES with 10 stacks of your Feather. If you has Talisman stacks + feather, that helps as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanyn View Post
    6. JC is a pretty bad profession currently because of the way gems operate and our stat priority. Engineering would give you a boost. Not sure if it's worth to you to switch, though. That's a personal decision.
    Engineering is far and by far better than JCing, however, unless you have the money to drop, or want to push yourself into cutting edge content next patch, I'd wait to see how things pan out next Expansion before changing professions. Might be worth it to some to switch, but who knows where everything will stand next expansion.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

If you have JC, simply use the 2x 320 Str Gems to get the +320Str (Same as Alchemy/Leathercraft/Inscription bonus). Going for haste as JC only gives you 2x480 Haste gems over 2 regular x 320 Haste Gems, for a small +320 Haste, which is meh.... (Half of what Forge would give you, for exemple). Even Herbalism is better than JC! (For haste).
    Engineering is gonna offer new tools to play with when 5.4 comes out. Like a 4800ish Haste proc on gloves every minute (1920Str vs haste procs discussion to come) and new upgraded Waist CDs/Absorb ot Heal. It doesnt seem to be on the PTR for now, but it was in the pre-PTR datamining.

I understand how much of an upgrade the switch would make, but it's all up to the person playing the toon. I absolutely love engineering, but some people like JC and other professions for the economic reasons. If you're going for the best setup for a raider to max your dps you definitely want BS/Engineering. Some people are also saying that Tailoring is pretty good for the cloak enchant. I haven't really tested it as tailoring seems an odd choice on a Paladin.

Good luck on bettering your toon. Feel free to keep posting for more information. I love the fact the Ret community helps each other out.

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Nzall/advanced

20 kills/tokens for DA and no tier, but the helmet 3 times so far. 14 council kills and no tier. I don't have the time or the will to run halls of flesh shaping 3 times just to coin DA. I'm getting fed up with this shit.

but anyway, any suggestions?

Sanctified Wrath Vs Holy Avenger

Hi I've been playing ret for a few years now switching from pvp and pve quite often and have been using Holy Avenger just because I am used to it from pvp (lining trinket procs/guardian stacks up etc). I sim-crafted the both of the talents SW vs HA and SW was about 2k higher dps increase so I have been trying it out and I don't feel like it does as much as HA. Am I doing anything wrong is there a trick that I have yet to figure out? On the pull i beat the other ret in burst but it he catches up as soon as my CD's are down. I line up my ES with fabled feather and guardian stacks etc so I would appcriate any tips you could give me! New account so it wont let me link my armory I amd Spudy on Darkspear thanks again.

As long as you have your priority system in the correct order you should be doing fine. HoW > CS > J > Exo for your generators. HoW should be every other ability. Also make sure you're popping AW with GoAK. Don't delay it. I would try to keep 2pc Exo debuff up for the last portion of ES. As long as you do that and maximize uptime you should be pulling good numbers.

Gear:
    You could gem exp/haste in red gems to put that little bit of expertise you're reforging into to mastery. I changed all my str/haste to exp/haste up until I couldn't reforge anymore away. Gained a good chunk of mastery. The Str gem you have in your gloves should be str/haste or exp/haste.

10+ Year Old Account
    So we just killed H Iron Qon tonight and it was our first kill and I did extremely poorly and was hoping someone could tell me why. The only time I stopped dpsing was to wait for the dead zone cast time before all the dogs come out. Here is my log, im fraisch

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/b9e4o...?s=2728&e=3370

Cool

Couple questions:

1. How long until 1 holy power fades from not attacking?
    2. What's the priority in this situation?

>5 holy power
    >SW Active (and possibly GoAK)
    HoW or TV?

Regarding Execution Sentence...

3. What does it NOT take a snapshot of? (exo debuff? inquisition? potion?)

3a. if not exo debuff, it's assumed you should use exorcism with a couple seconds before the last ES tick?

4. I understand you want to use ES with 1 second left on Feathers and GoAK... (and hopefully with zandalari proc and dancing steel )
    Should you ALWAYS wait for trinket procs to use ES or use it on cooldown?

4a. Is using it 4 times on cooldown more damage than using it 3 times lined up with CDs?

5. Is exceeding hitcap beneficial in ANY way? (buddy of mine claims it helps white hits, I think he's retarded)

5a. I removed my haste/hit gems for haste/stam gems for SoO progression... bad idea? (im still far above hit cap)

6. Should hit and expertise come primarily from gems then the rest from reforging?

Also, is there a mod that keeps updates on how much strength (or possibly another stat) you have in real time? (I've been having 50k STR Execution Sentences... they seem to hit pretty hard) I would just like to monitor strength without opening character panel.
    Last edited by mashanu; 2013-08-18 at 09:19 AM.

1. You only lose HP if out of combat. Even if in a boss fight with some downtime, like Lei Shen, your HP doesn't degrade.
    2. See above.
    3. If it's a buff on you, it snapshots it, if it's a debuff on the boss it doesn't. IE, you'd have to refresh the 2pc-T15 bonus.
    3a. Yes.
    4. It's a case by case. I usually wait until I have some sort of buff, but there are times when you can get one off before a transition or something and it can be done regardless of procs.
    4a. Depends on the cooldowns. Feather can make your AP 3x as much. So, your ES would be 3x as strong. So missing one to get a larger one off is well worth it. Other cooldowns may not be as worth it.
    5. No.
    5a. Nope. Good idea.
    6. You'll want to gem first and reforge second, IMO. Blue sockets = hit / haste or mastery. Red = exp / haste or mastery. Once you cannot reforge more exp/hit away, then you use stam / haste or mastery and str / haste or mastery.

Yes. I have a Weak Aura that tracks my current AP. Along with trinket procs, buffs, etc. Revvo has a Weak Aura thread somewhere on this forum. You should definitely check it out. If the Attack Power WA isn't there let me know and I will link mine. With Feather buffs, etc you can see your AP upwards of 150k for some very nice ES.

Link: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1311374-Revvo-s-Retribution-Rotational-Weakauras
    Last edited by Tanyn; 2013-08-19 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Link to Revvo's Post

Number 5 is not necessarily wrong. For paladins, yes exceeded hit does nothing. But for classes like warriors, it isn't wasted. Hard hit capping (15%) as a warrior is viable atm from my understanding.

EDIT: Weak Aura thread is here
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...onal-Weakauras!
    Last edited by Revvo; 2013-08-18 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklion View Post
    Hello, How are you all ?

Nice threat there, i guess i'll start it ^^,,

We're atm stuck at Windlord Mel'jarak normal, usually hitting the enrage timer, and i was wondering whats best between Lights hammer and Holy prism for that fight ?
    And if there is any tips, would appreciate it .

Also one thing to mention, Our hunter keeps topping the dps with a noticeable difference in DPS *3k~7k, not on this fight ofcourse but most of the other fights * usually 1 target fights

My armory: I can't post links till i post a few times ;(, So please if u wanna help search Blacklion on Grimbatol-EU Alliance, thank you :x

I don't want to post the hunter's armory so it doesn't get " awkward " as u said :P but he has 488ilvl
    * Edit: One question to add, when i'm using SW talent, How often should i spam HoW ? Whenever it's out of CD ? Is there any ability i should ignore when i have AW on? Because i'm very confused on that point ( i'm usually using DP )
    Thank you in advance!
    You didn't start it Krekko did...

Hi folks, could someone give me an idea of what I should be doing as a ret in this fight.

As you can see from these logs, which are from one of our mages, other logs are listed under the guild name Has Issues, I did not get the buff once,lol, but that is easily fixed for next time, the nutrient stuff and as you can see I switched around different setups, went through a stack changing stuff.

We were using the addon and it had all 5 groups going to nests, I was in the first group that had 4 dps and a healer, these attempts btw were my first time ever doing the nests.

Any tips or what not would be greatly appreciated, also keep in mind that we probably had at least 5 that did not belong in there on heroic, this thought is from past fights in ToT on normal that I arrived at that thought, but its who was on at the time.

Sometimes, the tab targeting and melee range issues have almost made me quit this game or at least level a ranged toon but I just can't abandon the pally.

I was looking at the logs and the shammy for instance and well there are certainly some issues there that my r/l will notice, nvm the fact that enh aoe is on a totally different level then ret, in 5.3 anyways.

I'm not a high end player but I am certainly not the type that will hold a guild back either.

I am on,

Stormrage

Kredible

Guild=Has Issues

Will check in later, Friday and time for a few drinks with wifey.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/281858/

Try to have 5 HP when you go down to nests, blow them up. With my nest team I was just using DS, CS, DS and then they were mostly dead. Wait until 5 secs left on Feed Young timer. Fly up.. intercept feed, blow CDs. I was then using my 2nd charge to get another nutrient buff when mine was wearing off. I then flew up at 5 secs before my nest with 5 hp. Blew up that nest. Waited until Feed Young was coming out again and got the nutrient on the way down. Maximizing your nutrient buff and minimizing time on nests is a biggie.

Simple stuff.. Glyph DP. Use it on every quills. I used Selfless Healer to top myself off. Don't have time to give any more advice. If I can check back later I will expand on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanyn View Post
    Try to have 5 HP when you go down to nests, blow them up. With my nest team I was just using DS, CS, DS and then they were mostly dead. Wait until 5 secs left on Feed Young timer. Fly up.. intercept feed, blow CDs. I was then using my 2nd charge to get another nutrient buff when mine was wearing off. I then flew up at 5 secs before my nest with 5 hp. Blew up that nest. Waited until Feed Young was coming out again and got the nutrient on the way down. Maximizing your nutrient buff and minimizing time on nests is a biggie.

Simple stuff.. Glyph DP. Use it on every quills. I used Selfless Healer to top myself off. Don't have time to give any more advice. If I can check back later I will expand on this.

Its funny because you may or may not notice in the logs that every normal attempt I always glyph for that, but doing the nests I felt the need to max our poor aoe,lol.

I had a thought a few mins ago on my 5th drink, we sometimes have at least 5 pallies in the raid, could we not, during quills, while talented for clemency make sure that every healer gets a BoP during quills, should be able to get most, not sure about every quills, but seems quite logical to me to do that.

Then they can obviously just focus on heals for the raid.

Deleted
    I would absolutely not glyph DP for this fight (or any in ToT really). If you are concerned with nest dps (which I don't think you should be) then removing dps glyphs for an unnecessary defensive one is not really the way to go. There should be a defensive raid cooldown set up for quills (smoke bomb, spirit link, etc) and so personals should not be necessary. After all, not everyone has personal cooldowns they could use for each quills.

You mention the shaman. Is this because he/she was taking lots of the primal nutrient buff or because they were in your group and doing more damage. If the latter, then it was simply that you weren't getting that buff so you need to do that. If the former, then do the tasks of your group allow you to use a spare feather to get the nutrient buff? Some groups are simply able to take better advantage than others (some may only have to go down to one next maybe twice in the fight whereas anothe may have to go down, up, across with little time to spend on the boss).

Silly questions: Do you have a timer bar letting you know when feed young is coming? It's often possible to time it so you fly up after killing eggs just in time to get the nutrient.