Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Never played GW1, would like to obtain Fiery Dragon Sword. Time investment?

Hello all.
    So I want to acquire some cool sword skin for my beloved Guardian, which is proving to be quite a task. Most are either small, or ugly, or both.

Now I set my eyes on Fiery Dragon Sword, probably best looking sword in the game. Even the legendary Jolt looks "meh" , especially when compared with his "big brothers" (legendary greatswords)

But to get the skin, I need to collect 10 hall of monuments points in GW1 and then link the game account to my GW2 one.

So I would like to know, is it even still possible? And if yes, at how much time investment would I be looking? I am really only interested in obtaining the 10 HoM points as fast as possible, don't care about anything else in GW1.

Thanks

10 points really wouldn't take that long, and to save some time you could maybe trade gw2 gold for things you can turn in for hom points.

The problem with those swords is they clip through everything. Very annoying. But they light up dark caves/areas so that's a nice bonus- to be able to see where you are stepping.

It should take a day or two to get them in GW1. However a lot of the easy methods of gaining HOM are gone now. GW1 is pretty barren nowadays. The few selling minipets are asking for a very high price- which a noob will never have. Like tons of plat.

Best bet is to clear the campaigns and get what ever titles/minipets you can in the process. Armor/weapons and minipets make up a good amount of the HOM.

Here is a picture of me in Gen Field with mah swords for inspiration.

10+ Year Old Account
    A day or two? I played for about two or three months last year, and I couldn't get more than 8 points.
    But well, I never really grouped and tried to make it all with heroes. Just to get the heros took me weeks /:
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Deleted
    Uhm. I'll try to list the most easy ones :

Play ranger in Faction camp :

Any pet (animal) statue 1 point
    Rare pet statue (Phoenix in the last mission of Faction) 1 point
    Eternal Hero of Cantha (doing all Faction missions) 2 points
    Linking Accounts 3 points

Then move to Elona (Nightfall camp) and unlock heroes. Farm http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Stolen_Sunspear_Armor
    for 5 companion statues 2 points

At this point you should have enough money to buy 1st birthday white mini for your missing 1 point.

I hope I helped. Good luck! And enjoy they game (ok, it might be hard because it's pretty empty nowadys 'because of' gw2)

10+ Year Old Account
    Took me a bunch of weeks to get 10 points. A day or two , probably on /timeplayed , but thats assuming one knows Guild Wars inside out. For someone who will start it for the first time, i doubt 10 points are doable in a day or two without someone else feeding that person alot of Platinum for the armors and the miniatures. Even then you still have to unlock the Hall of Monuments in the Eye of the North campaign, and acquire the tapestries to display Monuments.

I gave up on HoM. I could not find a single guide that didn't require you have all the expansions and to play that much game I would have to basically quit GW2 when the purpose was to obtain something to enjoy in GW2. It seemed counter productive.

I might have a skewed POV on GW1 as a long time player of that game series. Nothing in GW1 is taxing to me any longer. Every so often, I roll a new character to solo the whole thing for kicks over a week or two.

Shrugging like a .gif over here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I gave up on HoM. I could not find a single guide that didn't require you have all the expansions and to play that much game I would have to basically quit GW2 when the purpose was to obtain something to enjoy in GW2. It seemed counter productive.
    I got to 12 or 13, can't remember. Tried to do the Factions campaign (Started with Nightfall), got to the 4th mission, i think, then i stopped for a bit to play GW2, and never summoned the willpower to continue. I was enjoying it in a weird way, it was frustatingly hard, the last few Nightfall missions, but still was very fun. Then i stopped playing GW2 aswell, not really feeling their updates tbh, so there was no incentive for me to keep playing GW1 for the points since i no longer play the 2nd. =S . Spent alot of money and a good amount of time on the 1st too. Bah.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Spent alot of money and a good amount of time on the 1st too. Bah.
    I got Prophecies + EotN(?), whatever the combo is, for like $15 on sale. That was basically the extent of money I was willing to spend on the endeavor. I forget how much the expansions cost. I remember I couldn't find a bundle of the other ones, which kind of further soured me on it since I was hoping for a WoW battlechest type deal, but all the games still cost their full retail price. It didn't really seem worth it since in the end all I would really be paying for was a slightly easier time getting points.

I really did want those skins, but I guess not enough. :P And ranger pets, my OCD really kicks in seeing the blank pet spots that'll likely never be filled.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-08-08 at 01:05 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the awesome replies guys, especially the mini guide from Roudene is nice.
    A videogames shop in my country is selling a bundle of all 3 GW games for a pretty decent price. So playing a ranger to collect pets, and complete campaigns seems a nice way to reach my goal.
    Also I noticed there is a blue version of the sword, Breath of Jormag, available on TP for some 150g or something. Sadly, the blue flame is much less visible, making the sword look - once again - small
    Why can't they make some awesomely big sword like Emberglow is among scepters. I love that scepter so much, I switch to it when running around just so I can see it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Here is a picture of me in Gen Field with mah swords for inspiration.
    I had my heart set on Bolt as my long-term goal.

But this.... this.... I wish I never opened this thread. Ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    I had my heart set on Bolt as my long-term goal.

But this.... this.... I wish I never opened this thread. Ignorance is bliss.
    Hey, now your long term goal can turn into playing GW1 to get GW2 cosmetic gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Hey, now your long term goal can turn into playing GW1 to get GW2 cosmetic gear!
    I just might end up doing that. I love love swords in any RPG. Wonder what the time commitment is like. I have no idea what half the posts in this thread is talking about since I've never played GW1.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    I just might end up doing that. I love love swords in any RPG. Wonder what the time commitment is like. I have no idea what half the posts in this thread is talking about since I've never played GW1.
    The earliest points you get when you start are generally from just playing through the story modes in all the campaigns. By the time you finish that you should have figured things out well enough that you'll know how to at least figure out how to get the rest of the stuff.

Deleted
    Actually you could do all 30 points in no time if you felt like setting a little bit of money into getting gw1 and do like a week or 2 grind u could have 30/50 and get all unlockables

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiamza View Post
    Actually you could do all 30 points in no time if you felt like setting a little bit of money into getting gw1 and do like a week or 2 grind u could have 30/50 and get all unlockables
    Unless you find someone to trade GW2 gold for ectos in GW1 or something then there's no way you're getting 30/50 done in 1-2 weeks as a completely new player. It's just not possible. A more realistic time frame is a month or two and that's pushing it with noone helping you out and having to grind for your own gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Unless you find someone to trade GW2 gold for ectos in GW1 or something then there's no way you're getting 30/50 done in 1-2 weeks as a completely new player. It's just not possible. A more realistic time frame is a month or two and that's pushing it with noone helping you out and having to grind for your own gold.
    IIRC I have about 15 days of /played time and I was a brand new player going in alone with no outside help. I did everything by myself and farmed everything myelf. This was at the beginning of the last year though so a lot more people were playing since everyone else was doing the same thing. A month or 2 is definitely right, these days I don't even have the time for something like that so it'd take me even longer.

I merged my account way back, and still can't find where to get the rewards from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendor View Post
    I merged my account way back, and still can't find where to get the rewards from.
    You're suppose to get mailed a blue orb and it portals you to the old hall of monuments from gw1, the npc is in there. I think there was a problem where some people don't get their orbs so they made an npc to give them out but I have no idea where it is.