Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

500% Threat generation is not enough!

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Vengeance has received several changes.
    Characters in a tanking specialization now generates 40% more threat.

Well, they reduced Vengeance gained in some situations, and they're expressed a desire to have threat be a non-issue in light of the focus on active mitigation... but it does seem a little excessive.

want it to go back to classic tanking and have a trash pack wipe a group over and over again because a tank can't keep aggro?

Quote Originally Posted by lavaalamp View Post
    want it to go back to classic tanking and have a trash pack wipe a group over and over again because a tank can't keep aggro?
    back then it took skill now its just a aoe holds aggro

Do you really think it took skill back then? Tab target sunder/revenge/hs spam was hardly difficult.

and if you recall tanks didn't even spec tank. We went down 15 points into defiance and went elsewhere with the rest of the points.
    Last edited by quiks; 2013-08-15 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiinji View Post
    >Thinks tanking ever required a high skillcap.

ufunny.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Back then all tanks did was hold aggro and not stand I the fire... Some still stood in the fire and most dissent hold threat. Now they actually have to keep themselves alive and rotate cooldown for the big attacks aswell as heal/BoP/intervene the suicidal dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Quote Originally Posted by quiks View Post
    Do you really think it took skill back then? Tab target sunder/revenge/hs spam was hardly difficult.

and if you recall tanks didn't even spec tank. We went down 15 points into defiance and went elsewhere with the rest of the points.

Not skill but knowing which abilities were worth using and which were not for tanking. and you could actually lose aggro if you didnt fight for it. Much more fun than the current system at least.

I dont know why some people think the game gets better if you remove things threat, travel, instance groups and so on. omgz blizz its too hard for us to hold aggro, dps diez noo, plz buff.

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    Not skill but knowing which abilities were worth using and which were not for tanking. and you could actually lose aggro if you didnt fight for it. Much more fun than the current system at least.

I dont know why some people think the game gets better if you remove things threat, travel, instance groups and so on. omgz blizz its too hard for us to hold aggro, dps diez noo, plz buff.
    Because looking up a guide on what buttons to press is really difficult. Tanking now is much more fun, it is better. You don't just stand there spamming the buttons and avoiding the fire like a dps while being a meatshield. You have to ACTIVELY use abilities to avoid taking damage, you need to plan when you're going to use x cd. It's not *that* much more complicated, but it's better than what it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

I remember when Blessing of Salvation was near mandatory in a raid. Now any backpedaling champion can run in (backwards) and keep aggro just fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    It didn't take skill, it took waiting for 5 sunders. It took dps sitting on their hands. It took a threat meter addon being a requirement to raid.

aggro was hardly ever a fun mechanic. The only fun nature of it was that you could be the badass tank that no one could pull threat off of. That was its only redeeming factor. Tanking in general was boring and lackluster. You spammed your abilities in a rotation that hardly mattered, kept up demo shout/thunderclap, and pressed your long cd defensive cooldowns when needed.

Now, tank dps actually matters, so doing a proper rotation actually has a much higher impact on your raid. You have lots of active mitigation and requires far more know-how of the class and the fights. It's FAR more engaging than it ever was. Tanking was always a pretty joke role in this game.

There's a reason a lot of tanks are/were raid leaders in big guilds. You're in a position where you can call things out because there's less to focus on personally.
    Last edited by quiks; 2013-08-15 at 03:09 AM.

Yes cause being able to do threat AND dps would not be better? oh wait it would. In vanilla you knew tanks and their threat, some you started dps faster then others, now if a tank cant keep agrro they seriously suck at pressing their 1-2 aoe buttons.

What makes it better? Just as I said? Its only redeeming factor of "LOOK AT MY BEEFY TPS EVERYONE"? Get real man. Tanking has changed for the better. The game was infinitely less complicated in vanilla, just few knew anything about how to actually play, so it made the game feel more difficult to players less in the know. Now we're in 2013 where me, you, and many other people have been playing too long to keep track. The amount of abilities required has increased at least 2x over. It is more complicated and more fun to have a mastery over the current playstyle. Great tanks will be great tanks and far more noticeable than they were in the past. Reducing the threat modifiers on abilities wont make anything better.
    Last edited by quiks; 2013-08-15 at 03:22 AM.

Seems pretty irrelevant to me. Mobs stick to tanks like flies on shit anyway. I won't notice a difference in the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiinji View Post
    That's because they made tanks use active mitigation so now a tank concentrates on trying to survive, not hold threat (which simply means, do DPS).

Seems way better to me, threat is boring and once you lock it, what else is a tank there to do?

Also, I wouldn't call getting a bunch of sunders on a target skill. At best, it was a very short term retard check. Does tank have sunder on his bars? Check. Does the DPS sit on its ass for 3+ sunders? Check. Yay, thrilling, complex, challenging gameplay!

I would actually support them totally eliminating threat, except during the pickup window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The change is not to hold aggro against dps classes its to make tank swaps a little easier I quess

Quote Originally Posted by quiks View Post

if you did this then you were bad =)

Infracted; Don't make a post just to call someone out.
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2013-08-16 at 05:59 AM.

The threat buff is directly related to the vengeance nerf. You wont have as much vengeance therefore you wont be doing as much dps, with less dps threat will become an issue again, especially in certain situations.

500% isn't enough! I want 80,000%! I want to use one Blood Boil and then just stand there for the entire fight! BLIZZARD'S A BUNCH OF HACKS I'M NOT PAYING ANYMORE

/UNSUBSCRIBE