Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Usually the way to do it is to keep the trademark in a country that doesn't have online records, like Swaziland (where Hearthstone was).
    Ah thank you, that's what I was thinking of. And I wouldn't be surprised if they continue that trend. They seem to not like TMing in US until announcements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    This really blows my mind. Kosak casually bullshits around with the whole "The Dark Below" thing and some people are actually unsure if he's just joking or actually hinting at something. Is it really that hard for people to decipher meaning and context of words nowadays? Perhaps that's what happens when the bigger part of interpersonal communication shifts to electronic devices and social media, I don't know.

Reminds me of a time in university last year when a lecturer sent the whole class a bullshit mail where he listed totally ridiculous, over-the-top exam topics and absurd volumes of literature for an upcoming suprise exam. You'd have to be a complete idiot to take it seriously. He probably thought he was on the safe side with his trolling, considering how over the top and obvious it was.

Didn't stop roughly 50% of the class from going completely nuts and panicking for DAYS on their stupid Facebook group and every corner of the campus. Future academics, intellectuals, the proposed elite, mind you. They only managed to get a grip and settle down after the lecturer and a second guy sent follow-up clarification mails.

Moments like that really make you wonder ...
    The problem is, text is deceptive. It carries no emotions, facial expressions, and the like. Sure, it could read as him bullshitting. Or it could read as him beating around the bush, trying not to say yes or no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Dude, its the Worgen and Goblin mask thing all over again.

The Dark Below is the next WoW expansion folks. Blizzard is purposely trolling to build hype around BlizzCon. If TDB wasn't the next expansion, they would do what GC did about the image and say that its fake, and its not the next expansion. The fact that they haven't, pretty much seals the deal.
    Yeah, is most likely true...

In the end i want it to be a Naga expansion XD

The best part about it is they can bullshit us all they want. We're not investors, at best we're kids looking to open our Christmas presents early.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Yeah, is most likely true...

In the end i want it to be a Naga expansion XD
    How long was that picture out before they denied it? I mean we saw it last year...
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D4nnYb0Y View Post
    we're kids looking to open our Christmas presents early.
    Truer words have not been spoken for a while. I don't care how old you are, we are kids before Christmas in threads like this shaking a box and getting excited over a crumpled receipt in the trash outside.

10+ Year Old Account
    They feel WoW needs to be Warcraft 3.5. That all WoW lore must be about Illidan, Kil'jaedan, and Arthas. Mvallas' sig is true to some people, "Tell them that the Lich King is dead... and the World of Warcraft died with him." I used to have a quote in my sig of someone saying "To me Cata and MoP feel like icing on the cake, rather than new layers of the story."
    Implying the Old Gods aren't more Generic than the Burning Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aettis View Post
    The problem is, text is deceptive. It carries no emotions, facial expressions, and the like. Sure, it could read as him bullshitting. Or it could read as him beating around the bush, trying not to say yes or no.
    The easiest place to say no is the internet. You don't have to beat around the bush and be evasive with text. You can tell straight up lies because nobody is standing in front of you, looking you in the eye. And you can just not reply at all. You can't pin down a person by text. If he's beating around the bush, he's doing it completely on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by reesi View Post
    Why I think it's a hoax because, the title of the expansion isn't compelling. Do you really want an expansion to be called, "The Dark Below?" Doesn't seem catchy to me.
    Mists of Pandaria..... Lol...

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because it takes 24 hours to email your insider guy and confirm that thing he just leaked to you is a hoax right?

Right?
    You'd think he's just flat out say "I have been told that the trademark is a fake." Not employ in logical fallacies of "If it could be fake, it is fake."

It's equally probable that it takes 24 hours for his insider source to email him saying "You released it too soon, do something to cover it up with the Corgi model."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    How long was that picture out before they denied it? I mean we saw it last year...
    I think the trademark "hoax" is a bigger deal than that random picture was.

Like someone said, it whipped the userbase into a frenzy.

So here is a question if you've always been able to do this what made mists of pandaria trademark believable?
    Last edited by Wow; 2013-08-15 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    This is far more important and has made far bigger waves than that picture. They also never denied the contents of the picture, merely that the screenshot itself was fake.

You'd think he's just flat out say "I have been told that the trademark is a fake." Not employ in logical fallacies of "If it could be fake, it is fake."

It's equally probable that it takes 24 hours for his insider source to email him saying "You released it too soon, do something to cover it up with the Corgi model."
    Yup, he would. Bibi is a smart man, he absolutely would have checked his sources before posting something as big as an expansion name leak to the front page of his website, which also happens to be his livelihood. Plus it's not particularly hard to check your sources when, you know, they're Blizzard employees.

Bibi is talking in political speak. There is only one reason people talk in political speak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Well, the situation has two possible outcomes now. Either:

a) some troll is out there somewhere, sitting at his computer, laughing at the the best joke of his life
    b) Blizzard is out there somewhere, maniacally laughing at the epic promotion they have just made for their new expansion

Either way, somebody out there is very happy. Whatever is right, I'm happy for him / them
    But why would a troll post such an obvious fake immediately after posting a near perfect expansion name trademark form? He could have milked this hype train till Blizzcon.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    So here is a question if you've always been able to do this what made mists of pandaria trade mark believable?
    While I'm not sure who you're addressing for this - I'll take it.

What made Mists of Pandaria Trademark believable for me? Here's some reasons:

1) History

Historically speaking this Trademark has always happened this way. Roughly 2 months before Blizzcon comes a Trademark. ONE trademark... and only one that goes up to Blizzcon. This has happened with Wrath. This has happened with Cata. This has happened with Pandaria. Why should now be any different?

If they're going to reveal it at Blizzcon, they had BETTER have a locked-in trademark by then. :P

2) Why psych-out the audience?

Why would Blizzard deliberately set up an expectation MONTHS in advance, just to disappoint fans for them to say "GOTCHA!!"?

You look at things like "Pandaria must be a joke!" but, to others, they're saying "Awesome! I was always hoping we could see the home of the Pandaren officially be brought into the game!". Not everybody will think like you and say "Ooooh! Demons! I was hoping for Pandaren - but that's obviously much better!". Because people's tastes are different than yours.

Why deliberately dash those hopes against the rocks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, he would. Bibi is a smart man, he absolutely would have checked his sources before posting something as big as an expansion name leak to the front page of his website, which also happens to be his livelihood. Plus it's not particularly hard to check your sources when, you know, they're Blizzard employees.

Bibi is talking in political speak. There is only one reason people talk in political speak.

- - - Updated - - -

But why would a troll post such an obvious fake immediately after posting a near perfect expansion name trademark form? He could have milked this hype train till Blizzcon.
    The bigger question is why would a prankster waste time (and possible legal problems) to do a trademark hoax that half of the WoW userbase didn't believe in the first place? Again, look at the Skysunder hoax. That's an example of the type of hoax you pull on people because ts simple, recognizable, and attractive. It requires no thinking for you to believe that its the next WoW expansion patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    Truer words have not been spoken for a while. I don't care how old you are, we are kids before Christmas in threads like this shaking a box and getting excited over a crumpled receipt in the trash outside.
    HAHAHAHA, Is true, but... I'M GOING TO BE THE FIRST TO OPEN THE GIFTS! XD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Implying the Old Gods aren't more Generic than the Burning Legion.
    Well Demons are more generic than Old Gods, the point is that we don't know much about the Old Gods, and we know a lot about Demons

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post

Well Demons are more generic than Old Gods, the point is that we don't know much about the Old Gods, and we know a lot about Demons
    We've dealt with more Old Gods than leaders of the legion. We've pushed C'thun back twice, beat up Yog, now Y'shaarj. Compared to a half torso KJ...

*Forgot Mannoroth*
    Last edited by Perkunas; 2013-08-15 at 08:21 PM.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The bigger question is why would a prankster waste time (and possible legal problems) to do a trademark hoax that half of the WoW userbase didn't believe in the first place? Again, look at the Skysunder hoax. That's an example of the type of hoax you pull on people because ts simple, recognizable, and attractive.
    According to what I've read in this forum it's common sense that impersonating powerful lawyers for multi-billion dollar companies comes with no legal ramifications whatsoever and is entirely free. That's why political groups do it to harass each other all the time. Certainly the prankster here wouldn't have been the first to pull a stunt such as this.

/smokes pipe

Deleted
    Company like Blizzard do not let expansions leak before announcing. There were no clear indication that tbc was coming, etc. When they announce that expansion is something else than Dark below, i can say i told you so.

Every expansion name, save TBC (I honestly don't remember and don't feel like looking it up), was leaked beforehand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Because Corgis Unleashed was made up for fun:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...-not-really%29
    Notice that the very first post of this thread doesn't confirm or deny anything. It simply states that Corgis Unleashed was made up for fun. I don't doubt that's entirely true.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoever ultimately cracks this case, regardless of the outcome, I want you to do one thing for me. Please entitle your thread:

And so hope turns to despair...