Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Have you considered The Dark Below as referring to Azjol-Nerub?

Nearly all the talk about the name has been Legion or Azshara related.

But the name really makes as much (or more) sense referring to an Azjol-Nerub themed expansion. Remember Azjol-Nerub? The (originally planned) raid/zone was cancelled in WOTLK (since admitted by Blizz and Ghostcrawler) and just a short instance was left in its place instead. Fans wondered why, and many of us hoped the real reason was because they figured the concept had so much potential that one day itd be better served as an entire expansion.

How would you feel about an Azjol-Nerub themed expansion? Perhaps quite similar to the Spider Kingdom fan concept that's been floating around for a while.

Reason for this thread is it seems 99% of the talk is Legion or Azshara related - so stop to consider how youd feel about Azjol-Nerub instead!

Just for fun edit:

GC via Cata Post Mortem Blog:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4519250
    "For my money, the zone I am personally saddest about cancelling is not Abyssal Maw; it was the Azjol-Nerub quest zone in Wrath of the Lich King."

(via https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler)
    "@TyWorth I am personally a huge Azjol-Nerub nerd, but I can't ram through my pet projects single handedly. Maybe someday."
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2013-08-16 at 02:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Nearly all the talk about the name has been Legion or Azshara related.

But the name really makes as much (or more) sense referring to an Azjol-Nerub themed expansion. Remember Azjol-Nerub? The (originally planned) raid/zone was cancelled in WOTLK (since admitted by Blizz and Ghostcrawler) and just a short instance was left in its place instead. Fans wondered why, and many of us hoped the real reason was because they figured the concept had so much potential that one day itd be better served as an entire expansion.

How would you feel about an Azjol-Nerub themed expansion? Perhaps quite similar to the Spider Kingdom fan concept that's been floating around for a while.
    No. Impossible.

One day perhaps but having it -now- makes no sense at all, Azshara/N'zoth expansion sounds more likely followed by a Legion expansion.

http://wowpedia.org/Ozumat
    <Fiend of the Dark Below>
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I'd love an Azjol expansion. I don't know which one I'd prefer to have, Azshara or Azjol themed. Can we have both? haha.

On another note, I just don't feel 'The Dark Below' sounds good. I don't know, just to me, expansions usually sound...better? It just doesn't have a good ring to it. It's the 'below' bit I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    no more bugs!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy would I love an Azjol-Nerub expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be a bit odd I have to admit...although I have to say I would like to return there at some point.

It just doesn't really work with how events are flowing though, nothing at all points to returning to Northrend. We could either have the Burning Legion return in full force because that's what Wrathion has been going on about forever. Or we could have the Azshara/N'zoth expansion and deal with the threat that we keep hearing about (Y'sharrj whispers about the same "Black Forest" that we hear about from the Puzzle Box that mentions Ny'alotha and how even light must die beneath the waves) and wrap up the last remaining storylines from Cataclysm.

The Nerubian capital is something that we haven't heard about it a long time, and with Yogg-Saron basically dealt with for a while I don't see any real reason to return. I could be wrong though, it's always possible they throw us a curve ball ala Mists of Pandaria.

There is a good point to be had here though, we know that there are supposedly 5 Old Gods. We know of 4 of them currently. C'thun in Sithilus, Yogg-Saron in Ulduar, Y'sharrj in Pandaria (and Orgrimmar), and N'zoth under the Maelstrom. The next expansion could revolve around the unknown Old God. Who's to say where the heck he is though?
    Last edited by Ragnarocket; 2013-08-16 at 02:00 PM.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

It would certainly be a nice twist blizzard hitting us with something that the vast majority did not predict.
    I have no preference at this point, except for really hoping something that is not legion, naga, tinker or demon hunter.
    If only to p**s off those people (you know who you are) that cannot accept any opinions contrary to your theories.

10+ Year Old Account
    A deep sea/Azhara exp and Azjol-Nerub aren't mutually exclusive at all, especially with the Old Gods involved. I could see leveling through an aquatic/amphibious zone, investigating increased Naga activity, and discovering a deep sea rift. This cavern leads into a vast underwater cave system, and eventually we surface on the shores of a vast sunless sea, deep underground and on the far side of Azjol Nerub or maybe even another previously unheard of underground region/power. After all, we really honestly have no idea how many Old Gods there are, let alone their minions. There could be whole empires rising, warring, and falling down there that we have never even imagined. I'd love to see a conflict between Azjol-Nerub and other subterranean powers, like a theocracy of Faceless Ones completely devoted to exalting an Old God for example. I say if they go all "Underdark", then don't half-ass it. Whole-ass the hell out of it and make it awesome.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

I want an Azshara expansion mostly because it only makes sense that we have to take her on before dealing with the Legion or else coming back and dealing with her after the legion would be anti-climatic. Its just the natural progression of the story. I know people have their heads set on Legion but from a lore point it would make no sense to take out Sargeras before Azshara.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would love the Spider Kingdom but I think they missed their chance. Old Kingdom was an amazing looking zone and designed for a raid but they made it a 5man dungeon instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah they had their moment for Azjol-Nerub. As pointed out, Ozumat is from the Dark Below and is quite clearly aquatic.

That said, a zone/raid/MORE AZJOL-NERUB would be great.

Deleted
    No it doesnt really make me think of azjol-nerub but more of the city ny'alotha and cavernous deeps with faceless.... its supposed to be even DEEPER than the spider kingdom the very homecaverns of the faceless.

Deleted
    Ain't happening.

It wouldn't make much sense to go there lore wise. The Scourge part of it would be mostly kept under control by the new Lich King or taken over by whats left of the living bugs. But then again there are not many of them left even tho they can reproduce fast they had been kept in check by the scourge til just a few years ago. Add to that their Old God boss yogg has been re-imprisoned and to top it off would need a lot of time to regenerate his body anyway. The Old Gods other troops were wiped out in Northrend during the Siege on Wyrmrest. So i cant imagine there would be a major reason to go back seeing as nothing down there would be a threat at least not in the near term

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I want an Azshara expansion mostly because it only makes sense that we have to take her on before dealing with the Legion or else coming back and dealing with her after the legion would be anti-climatic. Its just the natural progression of the story. I know people have their heads set on Legion but from a lore point it would make no sense to take out Sargeras before Azshara.
    That's a big assumption that we would be taking out Sargeras in the next legion based expansion.

Azjol-nerub is too restricted in themes to base an expansion on. To be a part of an expansion is fine, but not a whole one on its own.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if the dark below references the darkness that is growing inside our souls.
    Hi

Deleted
    A-N could easily be a part of an Old God themed expack. Thematically and lore-wise it makes sense. It seems all insectoid races descending from the aqir are somehow related to Old Gods: qiraji to C'Thun, nerubians to Yogg-Saron, mantid to Y'shaarj. It would be reasonable for N'Zoth to also have a servitor race - likely insectoid. Meanwhile, Nerubians are trying to rebuild their kingdom, fighting against remnants of the Scourge and encroaching Faceless (which are obviously affiliated with Old Gods) - so they could actually become allies of the younger races against N'Zoth and Old Gods in general. They possess the lore, ancient knowledge perhaps passed on from the times of Azj'Aqir, before the Usurpers came to Azeroth - but they are weak and few in number. The Alliance and the Horde might thus defend A-N in return for this knowledge.

The way I envision it:

- tier 17: Azshara begins an assault on the surface world, bringing her minions, monsters from the deep and Old God powers to bear, suffers a setback as the surface races strike back (perhaps in her own city of Nazjatar), then flees/is recalled by her master
    - tier 18: Nerubians call for aid, offering ancient knowledge in exchange - knowledge necessary to fight N'Zoth and successfuly defeat him; Horde and Alliance soldiers fight in A-N to free the city from Faceless Ones, scourge remnants, undead Nerubians and whatever else crawls out from the darkness
    - tier 19: we bring the fight to N'Zoth's domain, descending through the Emerald Dream into Nya'lotha, facing his minions, Azshara and finally the Old God itself; lore unearthed from A-N is used to defeat/subdue/permanently banish N'Zoth

Azshara, before going down for the second, and final, time, mocks the attacking raiders about their fate being sealed anyway, as her first master is coming. Ding, 6.x ends, 7.0 begins, Legion says hello.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there's enough down there to really make it an expansion. I mean we've delt with the Old God up there already, we've had 2 instances in it, wiped out Anub'arak TWICE, beat back the Twilights Hammer....
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)