15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    How bout this one, Which individual record is least likely to be broken? It has to be the career +/-. With the salary cap and overall balance of the league now no one is ever gunna sniff the +730 at the end of their career. Even Lidstrom was barely over halfway there when he called it quits.
    Ya there is absolutely no chance that record gets touched. There isn't enough scoring now for that to occur, or I should say there isn't such a consolidation of scoring on a team where one line is going to score so many goals to get a player near that mark. Plus that is a +36 or so every single year for a 20 year career. Ya never going to happen.
    NHL leaders in +/-:
    2012-13: Pascal Dupuis +31
    2011-12: Patrice Bergeron +36
    2010-11: Zdeno Chara +33
    2009-10: Jeff Shultz +50 (totally forgot this happened)
    2008-09: David Krejci +38

So you would need to lead the league or be in the top 3 every single year for two solid decades to have a shot at that mark. Never going to happen. Probably helps that Robinson was +120 in 1976-77 and +71 the year after that. Bobby Orr holds the all time single season at +124 by the way. Only two players to ever crack triple digits. Gretzky is next at +98. Since 1990, the best season for +/- that I can find is Vladimir Konstantinov's +60 in 1995-96. Safe to say that it is impossible for any player in the modern NHL to rack up a massive single season or career +/1 like the players in the 70s and 80s did when the best season in the last 20+ years is half the record.

Taking this completely out of context:
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    2012-13: Pascal Dupuis +31
    This is impressive in 48 games; +52.96 if transcribed to an 82 game season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goal differentials for teams just aren't there, in 95-96 it took a 144 goal differential for somebody as good as Konstantinov to go +60, even that ludicrous Shultz season the Caps only had a plus 85 goal differential. Robinsons +120 came in a year where Montreal outscored their opponents by 216 goals!! In Bobby Orr's record year Boston outscored them by 192 goals.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    In an era where goalies can go from cold to hot over the course of a summer, I think it's highly unlikely that we ever see a player break +50 ever again in an 82 game season. Pascal Dupuis getting +31 was only because Shittsburgh was able to outscore most teams in the East by at least 3 goals coupled with the fact that he had a good offensive season.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will laugh if Ottawa finishes behind Detroit, would be hilarious if Melnyk has to eat his words.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did he say that because Alredsson is on Detroit now? Seems kinda silly. Or is there some other connection I'm missing? That website is blocked at work so I can't read the article. :/
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-08-15 at 05:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Did he say that because Alredsson is on Detroit now? Seems kinda silly. Or is there some other connection I'm missing? That website is blocked at work so I can't read the article. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Melnyk
    I think he’s wrong, I’ll tell you that, that’s where we part ways — I disagree — ‘cause I think we’re a better team, but if he believes it and he’s committed to it, then it was his prerogative,” Melnyk continued. “All we could do is wish him all the best. We look forward to Detroit finishing right behind us and him having a good year.
    Doesn't seem overly aggressive or stupid. Just confidence that his team is better. It isn't considering they just lost one of their top 3 players to a team where he is a top 6 player, but hey it isn't out of the realm of possibility. It isn't like Florida's owner said "Oooo those Red Wings. Signing Stevie Weiss. We'll show them by finishing ahead of them in the standings." That would be absurd.

Speaking of Florida, I just realized I have no idea who the owner is, who the GM is, what the name of the arena is, nor can I name 5 players on the team. Looking at their roster I would have gotten Huberdeau, Markstrom, Scott Gomez, and Versteeg and he is only a guess as I had no clue if he was still signed there or not. Fun Fact: Brian Campbell is a Florida Panther. Remember him?
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-08-15 at 06:23 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Campbell had a pretty good season when they made the playoffs couple years ago, won some trophy too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Campbell had a pretty good season when they made the playoffs couple years ago, won some trophy too.
    Christ I forgot the Southeast was so bad that Florida's strategy of signing 10 $4 million free agents was actually viable enough to win that division and make the playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Got to love how much of a circus this New Jersey sale is becoming. Oh wait. There is no circus, the team sold in a freaking week, and the Devils look like they are going to have far, far more franchise stability going forward. Just goes to show how much easier it is to find an owner for a troubled organization in an actual hockey market as compared to say, I don't know, Phoenix.

The Panthers are just... fuck, man... I don't even know where to begin. I did know that Dale Tallon is their GM, but after Huberdeau/Markstrom/Versteeg/Campbell, I'll admit I was pretty clueless, too. I expect they will be in a fight to the death for last in the division with Buffalo.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never forget John Vanbiesbrouck

10+ Year Old Account
    Ranger's assistant coaches finally named. Glad to see Samuelsson and Lacroix back with the Blueshirts organization.

It's terrible, incredibly awful. It is unbelievable that in this era might be such laws, especially in a country as vast as Russia.

-Zetterberg

Guess who just gets more and more darling in my eyes... (if you have no clue what he's talking about, it's the whole Russian policy on homosexuals)

While a few of the Swedish possible olympic ice hockey team members spoke out with Zetterberg, the ones who said "I just want to focus on the sport" really hurt me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    the ones who said "I just want to focus on the sport" really hurt me.
    If I was on a Olympic team the last thing I would want is to be bombarded by questions about russian laws before/at the games.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Doesn't seem overly aggressive or stupid. Just confidence that his team is better. It isn't considering they just lost one of their top 3 players to a team where he is a top 6 player, but hey it isn't out of the realm of possibility. It isn't like Florida's owner said "Oooo those Red Wings. Signing Stevie Weiss. We'll show them by finishing ahead of them in the standings." That would be absurd.

Speaking of Florida, I just realized I have no idea who the owner is, who the GM is, what the name of the arena is, nor can I name 5 players on the team. Looking at their roster I would have gotten Huberdeau, Markstrom, Scott Gomez, and Versteeg and he is only a guess as I had no clue if he was still signed there or not. Fun Fact: Brian Campbell is a Florida Panther. Remember him?
    They are now in the Atlantic, the Panthers won't see the post season for years. Toronto, Boston, Montreal, Detroit and Ottawa are all better teams. Don't forget Tampa Bay in the division too. No more creeping into the playoffs for any shitty team.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    They are now in the Atlantic, the Panthers won't see the post season for years. Toronto, Boston, Montreal, Detroit and Ottawa are all better teams. Don't forget Tampa Bay in the division too. No more creeping into the playoffs for any shitty team.
    Unless you're in the Central with Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St Louis and Winnipeg. There are two good/great teams (Chicago, St Louis) and then... Nashville is questionable. Minnesota is Minnesota. Colorado, Dallas, and Winnipeg are awful. One non-playoff team from last year is going to get the 3rd spot from that division.

Hey, minnesota were in the play-offs. And they may make it, or Nashville will be back to form