Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galosengen View Post
    I really don't know, I don't understand how people can feel that an asian theme fits less than the crazy sci-fi crystal spaceships of Burning Crusade.

Honestly I think its just that the DARKNEDGY freaks have taken over everything and they just hate anything that isn't covered in grimness and blood.
    Because as ridiculous as Crystal Spaceships are, you were hardly surrounded by them, and the rest of outland "Felt" like Warcraft, Draenor, WAS, Warcraft. Pandaria on the other hand, I've honestly felt completely disconnected aside from the tie ins, I honestly couldn't give a damn about the Mogu, Mantid, and other Pandaria Natives. It's not the Darknedgy crowd that's taken over, they're on Diablo. It's the "KAWAIIDESUDESU" crowd that have taken over, and trust me, as annoying as the first group is, the second is much, much worse.

OT: Theme does matter, I absolutely cannot stand the asian theme of MoP, and know quite a few who agree, the game is much better than it was in Cata, overall, but the theme just has me waiting for whatever the next expansion is, so that I can finally leave Pandaria for good and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    No. Not at all.

If you think it does, stop lying to yourself. You didn't quit because of the theme, you quit because you were bored of the game. And if the theme was different, you would have quit after a few weeks anyway.
    You honestly don't believe that theme could limit a games exposure to a specific audience, or that shifting that theme dramatically could leave the current audience with a theme that no longer focuses on their interests?

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously yes. No matter how much the MMO Champ Panda defenders want to argue otherwise, Subs could well be at HALF what TBC had by the end of this turd of an expansion; and it being based around Panda people and a kung fu class is a big reason why.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frumper View Post
    The mechanics in MoP are good, but who are the bosses and how do they relate to the world? There was a disconect to me on why we were killing them. Of course there are always filler bosses, but MoP felt like all filler bosses.
    Because it was new lore. If you refuse to accept anyone who wasn't in Warcraft 3 as real bosses, then quit now, because most are probably dead. Most bosses in ICC were filler. What maybe 3 or 4 were actual known characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Armass View Post
    Whats wrong with the asian theme? Can someone explain this to me why people are ok with norse, egyptian, african etc but asian doesnt cut it? Why?
    It's really really out of the norm for a fantasy game, unless you're playing something along the lines of Dynasty warriors, or age of wushu. A lot of people feel it is too foreign, and honestly I kind of agree. I would've been fine with some asian, or even mostly asian, but nothing even whispers that it might be western, in pandaria.

I don't play asian games, because I don't like asian culture. I play western games, I am from the west. I want western themes, norse and greek are what made me like swords and axes in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Obviously yes. No matter how much the MMO Champ Panda defenders want to argue otherwise, Subs could well be at HALF what TBC had by the end of this turd of an expansion; and it being based around Panda people and a kung fu class is a big reason why.
    I'd say it's more due to xenophobia on the part of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Laorenshu View Post
    Of course it would have. The theme of MoP is part of why subscriptions dropped so low. Some people never gave it a chance just because of the theme.
    But this could be said of all themes, I constantly see people say I want south seas or I want burning legion others something else. Then theres others screaming ill quit if we get a stupid burning legion xpac or this or that. No matter what is some will love it before they play it others will hate before they play it. So I don't think the theme makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post

subs were on the decline since the end of wrath...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Why is that? Cant take something that isn't your own opinion?
    The first part was not referring to you.

The second point is a quote from Lei Shi, who I would say is a fairly poorly done boss fight, in context to the statement you provided that I was ACTUALLY quoting. I was attempting a humorous reference, but from your response, it seems to have been lost on you.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-08-18 at 02:07 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theming is more important than the theme.

Only in terms of surface-level appeal in regards to things like marketing, I'd imagine.

Really it's nowhere near as important a factor as things like gameplay, content updates, shelf life etc.

Edit: As long as the theme is competently executed, which has always been the case with WoW expansions.
    Last edited by Wondercrab; 2013-08-18 at 02:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    subs were on the decline since the end of wrath...
    No subs didn't fall ever once until quarter 1 2011 which was the beginning of cata. The lich king was dead and people moved on. Not to mention dungeons were to hard for a lot of people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The first part was not referring to you.

The second point is a quote from Lei Shi, who I would say is a fairly poorly done boss fight, in context to the statement you provided that I was ACTUALLY quoting. I was attempting a humorous reference, but from your response, it seems to have been lost on you.
    I never said that MoP didn't have terrible boss fights. MoP raiding has been solid though. The first 2 tiers were both good and better then anything since tier 11. We will see with SoO, but if it turns out to be as good, it will be the most consistently solid xpac ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it does. That is why mope is hemorrhaging subs. Mope was a huge mistake by blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said that MoP didn't have terrible boss fights.
    The quote I provided was intended to be a humorous instance which would lead people to recall Lei Shi's squeaky voice, the annoying nature of her hide mechanic, and then chuckle to themselves "yeah, that WAS kind of annoying" in a nature that would tie in with your quote about the scant few poorly done boss fights.

But I guess we just can't have nice thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Of course it does. That is why mope is hemorrhaging subs. Mope was a huge mistake by blizz.
    I'm sorry, you're wrong.

Very few people that actually started playing MoP quit because "omg pandas!" They all just straight up didn't play MoP. So, logically, the sub losses must be from other reasons.

Feel free to try again, though.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    No subs didn't fall ever once until quarter 1 2011 which was the beginning of cata. The lich king was dead and people moved on. Not to mention dungeons were to hard for a lot of people.
    Subs grew all through Vanilla and TBC. And peaked at 11.8M at WotLK launch. The first time subs fell was shortly thereafter in Q1 2009. Subs slowly fell all of WotLK, but not by much down to 11.5M. Then went back up to 12M at the end when ICC came out and WotLK was released in China.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-18 at 02:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Subs grew all through Vanilla and TBC. And peaked at 11.8M at WotLK launch. The first time subs fell was shortly thereafter in Q1 2009. Subs slowly fell all of WotLK, but not by much down to 11.5M. Then went back up to 12M at the end when ICC came out and WotLK was released in China.
    They may have fell some in between quarterly reports, but they rose back up to at least the last reports levels.
    http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...d-of-warcraft/

10+ Year Old Account
    They may have fell some in between quarterly reports, but they rose back up to at least the last reports levels.
    http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...d-of-warcraft/
    That doesn't show the info from Blizzard's press releases and jumps a whole year from Q4 2008 to Q4 2009.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-18 at 02:31 AM.

Deleted
    I felt so disconnected from Pandaria, it all just felt so awkward and wrong. The only thing that kept me sane and not forgetting what game it was, was my character and the UI. I cringed everytime I saw Pandaren animations or heard their voices, I still cringe everytime I have to see the posters on this forum with their "Pretty Panda" signature banners, it's god awful and annoying.

I was roleplaying though, so I never were on Pandaria for long. Only when I used hearthstone I got teleported to that hellish place.

So yeah, I don't play the game at the moment.

Success in terms of subscriber numbers it greatly matters. I love asian themes so it didn't matter to me but it's quite obvious now it matters to many people.
    I also think timing made a difference here as well. If an Mists of Pandaria was the first expansion of WoW, it wouldn't have made the impact it did today. But after Legion and Scourge themed expansions everyone would at least be surprised by a Panda-themed expansion.

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends, if they pick a hard one and they fail it does matter. And if they do one that people.....have been hoping for and fuck it up people will be pissed if they do a easy one and they do okayish on it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose