Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The World of Warcraft expansions have been so varied and diverse it is really hard to claim that one stands out above all the rest.

Each had their own major flaws, but each has also improved the game. I think each expansion has been great, although there are many gripes I have about each.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    So because you liked this expansion, after saying "whether it's bad or not is an opinion", whoever dislikes it is not forming their own opinion? White knights make my head hurt.
    The OP isn't having an opinion. He think that because many people say how TBC was the best, it was actually the best. That isn't an opinion. That my friend, is bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I thought MoP was fine. WotLK was good too. Really, the only expansion I can say I disliked is--no surprise--Cataclysm and even that had things in it that I liked (T11 in particular which I think is still one of the best tiers ever).

So I guess the answer is yes, I think Blizzard can make a good expansion.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    While i understand many people did enjoy MOP. THe subscribtion numbers speak for itself. Generally the expansion wasnt accepted well.
    The players that post here are the one that simply enjoy the game even when its not so good anymore but you have to look at the bigger picture.

Biggest flaw in mop was the asian theme which western players didnt enjoy. The implementation of a panda race was a terrible idea. Other than that, mop was great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Since MOP was their best expansion yet, I would say chances are high.
    I'd say this, and have to agree with Deja Thoris even if he got infracted he's right and its silly.

Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    Biggest flaw in mop was the asian theme which western players didnt enjoy. The implementation of a panda race was a terrible idea. Other than that, mop was great.
    Speak for yourself?

Maybe not Lore P.O.V but they sure as hell can make incredible landscapes.. im still amazed over the instance "Vortex Pinnacle", such a beauty... Jade forest in MoP and the vale is gorgeous as hell...

And at the looks of the 5.4 cinematic, try to compare that with 2.4 cinematic.. So much improvement.

They are capable of making a good expansion, they've done so 4 times, the latest being the best imo. Other than a bit too many dailies all at once upon release, and the Battlefield Barrens not being that engaging because of a lacking feel of progress, MoP is the best expansion in all other aspects to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChillaCharlie View Post
    Lol the people who think TBC was the best needs to take of their nostalgia glasses, including the OP.
    MoP shits all over TBC when it comes to quality, in all areas.
    Perhaps you should take a break from your cultish religion of worshipping a game company, and avail yourself of some de-programming. While there's a lot to like about MoP when compared to Cata or even Wrath, it is far from being flawless. Gating near-mandatory reps behind grinds that could only be done via daily quests was near-universally loathed. The total talent revamp appears to have been somewhat better received, but was far from an unmitigated success. PVP has been a near-disaster, at best. Crafting is dull. 5-mans (once the heart of the game) left to languish in irrelevance. The LFR gearing model has significant issues. The massive drop in subscriptions during MoP clearly shows that a good percentage of the player-base did not agree with your vulgar and fawning worship of MoP.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    I love the asian look, being a western player this brought a diverse theme into the game that was desperately needed. The whole design of the new area is absolutely stunning. Only those with a closed mind are unable to appreciate how beautiful the new area actually is. Don't see anything particularly wrong with the Panda race as everybody and their brother apparently love it. Of course this is completely subjective and my opinion might not be enjoyed by others......that is why it is an opinion.

MOP has been nothing short of spectacular and I am eager to see what is next. That doesn't mean I agree with everything Blizzard does......but to call someone a fanboy just because they are enjoying the game is pretty ridiculous.
    Last edited by DarkstarG; 2013-08-18 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardnonentertainment View Post
    The players that post here are the one that simply enjoy the game even when its not so good anymore but you have to look at the bigger picture.
    Yeah, let's look at the bigger picture. Only it won't be the one you're formulating in your twisted imagination.
    Sub-based MMO market is saturated since about 2009. Other sub-based games are dropping like flies (hi2u rift and SWTOR), the only ones holding are mostly WoW and EvE (on a much smaller segment). Plus, you have F2P games all over the place. Plus, the product is 10 years old.

Consequently, even if Blizzard does a wonderful job (which they did), you cannot stop the churn of players to other market segments. Especially since those offer bite-sized content which is much easier to digest by the typical casual player. And there is no way to counter that for WoW, if only because of the 1-90 leveling.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Deleted
    having played every expansion, I personally rank them MoP > WoTLK = TBC > Cata

MoP has had my favourite storylines, my favourite raid architecture (ToT really does seem like you're storming a huge fortress of evil), my favourite areas, favourite pets, favourite features (e.g. pet battles, I'm a huge pet fanatic) and favourite quest+dailies

WoTLK and TBC had my favourite gear, my favourite mounts, my favourite heroics and favourite bosses, some great areas (e.g. nagrand and ice crown), some great raids and some raids which flopped (ToC)

Cata had some good PVP gear but a lot of Cata was awfully executed though (the zone changes were good but it felt that the zone changes were the main part of the expansion, once those were out of the way it was a few years of poor raids)

as long as they keep the progression curve of greatness that I feel MoP brought, TDB will be a brilliant expansion, lets just hope we don't have another cata!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Yeah, let's look at the bigger picture. Only it won't be the one you're formulating in your twisted imagination.
    Sub-based MMO market is saturated since about 2009. Other sub-based games are dropping like flies (hi2u rift and SWTOR), the only ones holding are mostly WoW and EvE (on a much smaller segment). Plus, you have F2P games all over the place. Plus, the product is 10 years old.

Consequently, even if Blizzard does a wonderful job (which they did), you cannot stop the churn of players to other market segments. Especially since those offer bite-sized content which is much easier to digest by the typical casual player. And there is no way to counter that for WoW, if only because of the 1-90 leveling.
    I actually prefer the sub market. F2P actually costs more for the consumer over time when they need to spend money to gain certain abilities or other items that are not available otherwise. Of course you can always avoid spending money by not caring about those items.....but sometimes they are important or needed. You will end up spending money either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post

or maybe people started to think that its not worth their 15$ because its not a great game anymore?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when they promised to make a good expansion back in Cata after everybody jumped on the Wrath hate bandwagon and look how it ended... But seriously though, even if I hated MoP but I do feel it has so much potential and it seems that blizzard has learned from their Cata mistakes and "hopefully" they could. And I think Wrath is the golden era for me and not BC. Maybe because I didn't reach max level in BC but I liked wrath more.

Blizzard is at the top of their game right now and with MoP it shows. The developement team is bigger than its ever been and it just got an employee infusion from the scaling back of Titan.

So chances are very high that the next expansion will be even better. It's a great time for players. Subscriptions are slowly dwindling and WoW has its biggest lineup of competition releasing within the next year. All that just means Blizzard knows they have to wow us. It's time for drastic measures, going over the top, and surprising players.

Whatever the next expansion is called, it's going to be huge.

Nope. Content does not even matter anymore, because the game in its core has become so terrible. Unless reverse alot of the Casualization or bring Hardcore Servers (TBC-style Gameplay/Classes/Talents, Hardmore-Only, Pot-Farming) the Game is done. I gave Casual-WoW a last chance with Casualysm and after 2 weeks I was bored and never played since it again. I would never ever pay even one cent for the Pandaland Expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    You're mistaken on this account. People who have played since vanilla agree that Wrath of the Lich King was the golden age of WoW, which is when Blizzard had their most subscribers (12 million). It was when Cataclysm was released that Blizzard's subscription numbers dropped and produced a steady decline of players. Burning Crusade was NOT their golden era, though I do have fond memories of that expansion. I would not want to go back to that expansion unless it was post-patch 3.0, when we got better damage and the best tanking rotations.
    Anyone who didn't see significant subscriber loss after nearly 2 years of subscriber stagnation during Wrath was deluding themselves. Wrath is when Wow hit market situation (something no other mmo has ever done before). Wrath was at TBC numbers up until it was released in China shortly before Cata when the numbers hit 12 million. That in no way proves Wrath was the golden era of Wow. If anything it proves the opposite not that it matters because it is all subjective anyway depending on many more factors than just what the game was like at that point in time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    So because you liked this expansion, after saying "whether it's bad or not is an opinion", whoever dislikes it is not forming their own opinion? White knights make my head hurt.

OT, I actually have some doubts about whether or not they'll be able to turn the boat properly in this expac, as they started work on it way before they found out how poorly MoP was received. Not that I expect the wow devs to actually learn from their mistakes, but even if they did it would probably not be evident until the expac after this one.
    When people are capable of saying more than "pandas r 4 kiddies" then their opinions might be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    People who have played since vanilla agree that Wrath of the Lich King was the golden age of WoW
    Nope. Some do, some don't. Vanilla players, like everyone else, each have their own opinions.

I've talked to many, many Vanilla players who thought Wrath was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    the best design isn't necessarily to shove your players through the content in the most meaningless way possible.
    Are you implying not being able to do the content at all isn't just as "meaningless"? Raids in TBC might as well not have even existed for many players back then.