Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that sucks about the game for me personally is playing just for Wednesday. I like having lots of things to do, but when it's only available once a week, the rest of the week is a drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Unsubscribed along with the rest of the 700,000 a couple quarters ago.

It wasnt just the valor cap thing, it was several factors, and the lacking excitement was one of them.
    No it is a simple lack of things that excite you personally. Heck yesterday some guildies and I decided to farm lesser charms in the Northern Barrens. We got some people in Openraid and soon we had 40 ppl just blowing shit up. I got to test my shadow spec that I never played and it was....fun. 40 people running around just blowing shit up for charms was entertaining.

A few weeks ago I spent close to 2 hours and a hefty repair bill figuring out how to solo Thorim in Ulduar 10m on my pally. It was a challenge, it requires precise timing, and swiftness potions, and it was fun.

Different people find entertainment in different areas of the game. You shouldn't shout off a bullet list of issues and talk like it is the truth and nobody can dispute it.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is a long grind to the cap, then another long grind to gear up for your endgame. Then Endgame turns out to be just another long grind toward the anointed final boss.

Yeah, the game needs more excitement to keep players from getting bored with the constant grind.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Wow. This is the thread the world has been waiting for. All those completely new realizations and fresh perspectives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptic662 View Post
    "Wow lacks excitement....for me" Fixed. Sounds like you only play wow because of previous time invested. If its stale, take a break.
    That's the thing though. Blizzard's goal should be "What can we do to make players want to play more and more?" Instead of just making content that gets stale after a while. And do not sit here and tell me that current content doesn't get boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    In TBC it was:

-get attuned
    - do raids
    - get exalted

What exactly changed?
    Questing and getting attuned was very meaningful. It made the player actually work for something. You always wanted to log on and do dungeons in TBC because gear was always relevant. (ilvls are there to prove it.) LFR just completely makes doing heroics irrelevant after the first month or two. Older raids from expansions nowadays also become irrelevant because of, again, the ilvl disparity. PvP was more meaningful because of how long it took to get fully geared. Do you remember AV? Day log matches of AV? That was fun as hell for me. Summoning the ice giant was mesmerizing. There was also constant world PvP due to the fact that there wasn't a queuing system (Yeah, I remember having to walk to the WSG, AB, and AV camps to queue for PvP.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    The only thing that sucks about the game for me personally is playing just for Wednesday. I like having lots of things to do, but when it's only available once a week, the rest of the week is a drag.
    I agree with this.

It was the only excitement i got out of wow in my last few months.

Why is someone with "People still play WoW?" in his signature bothering to post on a WoW forum? What do you hope to accomplish with this thread?

15+ Year Old Account

I didnt think of it that way lol... ofc wow lacks excitement u expect wow too still give the same excited feeling it had in its first year after 8 years? its like with movies the first you watch the 1st part and if you like it the 2e one gets you excited but parts after that will mostly not be as excited as the first 2 parts.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2013-08-19 at 09:03 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

I was just thinking about this the other day, and I reflected on why WoW lacks excitement currently.

Now contrast that to an epic quest chain like the Onyxia quest line (for Alliance). There were several steps, and accomplishing each step just to gain access to that raid boss felt like you were gaining ground. You got gear along the way inevitably as you went through BRD and other dungeons. The player felt like a part of the quest. Or the quest chain that gave access to the Black Temple. Each step in the quest felt amazing because you saw how your accomplishments opened new parts of the game for you to explore.
    Please explain to me how the hell can one-time-only quests be more entertaining in the long run than anything else available at level cap? You do those once and they're gone forever. What keeps you entertained on the next day?

I really fail to see your logic there, and it smells like this is just another "qq tbc bwaah" thread.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

WoW has become a bucket list. Now hear me out on this. The game is essentially played by creating a bucket list and following that list.

1) Login.

Goal: Cap valor asap and continue to do so on other characters

2) Daily Heroic Scenario
    3) Daily Heroic Dungeon
    4) Battlefield Barrens weekly
    5) An LFR or two
    6) Rinse and repeat.
    1) Okay, I'll agree there. Logging in is pretty much the first thing I do too.
    2) I think I've done four heroic scenarios since they came out. Entirely optional.
    3) I haven't done any heroic dungeons since I hit 90 on my first character.
    4) I don't even know what this is, never done it before.
    5) I think I've run LFR a total of 10 times in the past five months.
    6) Obviously not, since I never did it the first time.

You're completely ignoring major parts of the game to focus on grinding valor. Which really isn't even important, I don't think I've capped valor in months, I get like 500 or so from my raid, and that's enough to double upgrade one piece of gear, which is fine. I currently only have 1 piece that isn't 2/2 upgraded and it's because it's a 502 piece anyway, so there's no real point.

There's plenty of exciting things you could be doing, you just opt not to do them. That's basically your own fault.

I was just thinking about this the other day, and I reflected on why WoW lacks excitement currently. Its not because the downtime between patch cycles, but it stems from a much greater problem than that.

WoW has become a bucket list. Now hear me out on this. The game is essentially played by creating a bucket list and following that list.

1) Login.

Goal: Cap valor asap and continue to do so on other characters

2) Daily Heroic Scenario
    3) Daily Heroic Dungeon
    4) Battlefield Barrens weekly
    5) An LFR or two
    6) Rinse and repeat.

Notice the only thing getting the player out in the world is the barrens weekly quest. Everything else is queued for. Its just not exciting. And after one week of the barrens quest, it gets old, especially when its done on other characters.

Where is the excitement of logging in, and then figuring out in game what you wanted to do for the day? There are no more goals that are actually worthy of time and effort other than heroic raiding, and even that becomes dull because you essentially fought the same boss with some ability bloat to create difficulty.

Now contrast that to an epic quest chain like the Onyxia quest line (for Alliance). There were several steps, and accomplishing each step just to gain access to that raid boss felt like you were gaining ground. You got gear along the way inevitably as you went through BRD and other dungeons. The player felt like a part of the quest. Or the quest chain that gave access to the Black Temple. Each step in the quest felt amazing because you saw how your accomplishments opened new parts of the game for you to explore. Now, the legendary quest chain is just another bucket list type quest chain. Its too carved out in stone, and feels generic.

TL;DR

WoW lacks excitement because the developers made the decision to create such a simple bucket list type system, with generic quests, and overly simple dungeon / raid design.

In other words, the game is great in the gameplay department, but lags behind in the excitement factor.
    You mean it lacks excitement for YOU. I see this is another one of your useless threads presenting opinion as fact. Why do you even still play? The only difference between Wow now and when it launched is that there is a lot more stuff to do in varying difficulty levels covering multiple play styles. If you don't like it anymore, quit your bitching and quit the game already.

- - - Updated - - -

All part of the bucket list aspect the game has turned into. Arguably this list of items you presented are menial at best, and are more of time wasters rather than actual content. Blizzard has done a great job training people to think that time consuming / wasting activities = content.

I don't disagree with you that those are things a player could potentially do, I just disagree with you that those are exciting things to do.
    So people weren't doing some of the same things in prior expansions? Really? Where the fuck do you come up with this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    What more you did during thursday-tuesday in previous expansions? It didnt take more than day to farm whole raid tier then either.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

These sort of complaints always come from the view of an experienced player, usually one who has levelled multiple characters or at least had a few years of play behind them.
    Something which is in effect more of the same will always be less interesting for us.

The problem is that blizzard cannot have too much of the accessible content favouring the experienced players without penalising those who aren't.

The raid/dungeon design earlier in the game was nothing more than a time sink.
    Consumable grinding which was simply a gold/time/resource sink.
    Resistance gear which was a flat damage reduction with no skill aspect whatsoever.
    Attunements which penalised new alts or new players.

Time consuming preparation does not equal excitement.
    Anything is exciting the first time, but less so after a dozen times.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-08-19 at 09:04 PM.

Ok. That's your opinion. Mine is different.

if you dont like it, dont play it

how hard it is to grasp that concept?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unsubscribed along with the rest of the 700,000 a couple quarters ago.

It wasnt just the valor cap thing, it was several factors, and the lacking excitement was one of them.
    Then why on earth are you here? If you don't even play now you have no idea what you could be doing online anyway.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    And that's what's wrong with you. If your only reason to play this game is to get valor capped every week, you should unsubscribe.
    Exactly this. I don't think I have valor capped this entire expansion due to the fact there are so many gearing options. I just haven't felt it necessary at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just thinking about this the other day, and I reflected on why WoW lacks excitement currently. Its not because the downtime between patch cycles, but it stems from a much greater problem than that.

Not sure why you felt the need to obnoxiously emphasize BUCKET LIST over and over in your post.

Also, your 'list' ignored a whole lot of stuff there is to do in the game. However menial or boring you might find it, there are meaningful ways to spend time in the game. Sinndra said it best: choosing to ignore other features doesn't mean the game doesn't have them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jaylock thread where he bitches about the game rather than own up to his choices to ignore the incentives in the game to go out and explore, including an entire zone of such content next patch? Shocker.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Ffs i wish i knew how to multi quote but here goes

(1) Time

(2) a Bloody lot of time and abilty

(3) Really want me to say it again

Dont bite my head of mate its just a question, but why cant the content be harder and the patches longer in between releases?
    Heroic raids say hi and are you seriously complaining about more content faster? What the fuck.