I have a few questions for those who played open beta/closed betas, I didn't want to spoil the gameplay before early access so didn't play.

I have been up in the air in what class/job I want to be first it was Warrior now it's Dragoon and now I want to be a Bard, I guess in the end i'll end up having every one but for launch I want to play the one that feels a lot more fun, i've heard lancer is boring until later on and i'm australian so MS might be a factor especially since you have to be behind things also solo play you have to be behind them etc. really leaning towards an archer atm any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Does anyone else think the skill distribution is a little off for some classes?

I noticed when levelling my secondary class the Pugilist that I had my full 3 button combo by like level 8.

On my Lancer I am stuck spamming 2 buttons for the majority of fights because we don't get our 3rd string in the combo until level 24? We also don't get an AoE attack until level 42.

Seems quite ridiculous.

As a lancer you have a 2 attack combo, an attack that requires you to be behind the target and an attack that requires you to be beside the target. In solo play this is impossible until the mob is casting or you have your stun up.

Dumb.
    The reason why the pugilist gets theirs so early is because the full 3 stance rotation is required for the greased lightning buff which is the bread and butter damage bonus for us. Our fight style is basically one huge rolling combo and each stance gives us certain bonuses and the bonuses require you to be behind the target or flanked as well.

While both these classes are melee they are very different styles in terms of how damage output is delivered and the utility they bring. Lancers bring more utility at lower levels for example a ranged attack for pulling and keeping a monster combo train going for exp bonuses, while pugilists don't have any range. Lancers also get a stun on demand which pugilists don't get until the late 30's.

Pugilists don't get much for aoe either and both these classes are going to hold there own soloing because they can take a decent hit and still dish out the pain.

Both sides have their pros/cons and that's what I like so much about the classes.

I'm a bit surprised at the tanking issues. Only class I've ever tanked on was my death knight in wow and only dungeons, so I don't have much experience, but I haven't had trouble tanking here.

Well, as long as I have flash. I tend to cycle through the mobs to gain threat with them all. And then generally use threat moves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    I'm a bit surprised at the tanking issues. Only class I've ever tanked on was my death knight in wow and only dungeons, so I don't have much experience, but I haven't had trouble tanking here.

Well, as long as I have flash. I tend to cycle through the mobs to gain threat with them all. And then generally use threat moves.
    You queue for enough dungeons, you're going to start getting those hot-shots who make it their primary objective to pull off the tank, then bitch about it.

I never tank myself, but as a healer it's annoying and I will let you die.

Mind you, I'm somewhat guilty of it too. Back toward the end of WotLK I couldn't help but pull of tanks in dungeons with my frost DK. However, the difference there was that the rest of the group could just AFK while I soloed the dungeon at that point.

I hope that one of the first addons will be a threat meter ;p
    "How poor are they that have not patience"

I've had a extensive career tanking in FFXI and WoW. After playing both gladiator and marauder in dungeons. The "lack of" a taunt ability (anything FORCING targets to attack you) was the first thing i noticed. It may intimidate a lot of uprising tanks since 99.9% of these games have such ability. Which i hope it stays this way. I had 0 problems grabbing and protecting everyone.

Generalizing

Focus targets and working as a team is a old concept, that people are failing at, or just don't care and screw off. If some moron wants to stroke epeen and constantly pull off a tank why should that player be required a "taunt" to pull off the person being a dick. Simple solution is let em die or just kick and move on.
    I understand taunts were "useful" in some situations, but there were some encounters where such abilities resisted over time, or had complete imunity. So on a small scale it's really nothing new.

In previous games i honestly felt taunt was just the tanks "i win" button. The removal of it reinstates the challenge of people working together, including e-tarded dps and over-healers. Once you understand FFXIVs tank abilites it becomes easier. At higher lvls you get more tools to increase -enmity(threat/aggro). Those who don't understand something will usually be judgemental until its realized what and how.

In eastern shorud (bottom right corner of the map) there's a FATE boss lv 20 "lazy (something) its a ochu. I can't even begin to tell you how many people rushed in going ape shit, dieing, bitching pure insainities about 0 heals. Havn't laughed that hard in awile being it ages since i seen a zergling slaughter. The ochu was as big as a building and hit like a truck (some got hit for 80-110 normal hits). It took a lonely topaz carby to save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarinolde View Post
    Provoke is not a taunt, if that is the skill you're talking about. It's a high enmity generating ability, it does not bring your enmity level equal to or slightly above the player with aggro.
    Provoke takes you permanently to +1 Threat above the highest current target.
    At least thats what every site i read so far said it works.

Personally from what i saw in p3 it seemed it didnt behave like that b ut oh wells.

Edit: what really makes me sad is that tanks still dont know the concept of marks.
    I know its hard enough as dps to follow 1, 2 ,3 but tanks not marking and then wonder when everyone goes insane..ohwell...thats why i even started marking when i heal because no one seems to bother.

Maybe SE should make a own help for that. Marks are a wonderful ability for team coordination.

edit:
    I never thought of a taunt ability as a "i win" button more like a way to actually get back into the game if you die. Without taunt you might as well stay dead because there is no way you get aggro back before everyone else is dead.
    Which sucks esp in a game that has slight problems with acknowledging that you actually are outside of the big bad aoe.
    Last edited by Asmalya; 2013-08-20 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    If you kill things as your job, you get exp for your job and the classes that make up that job (to my understanding). You cannot, however, choose where the experience goes.

Most people suggest saving leves for crafting because the ONLY way to level crafting is by...well...crafting, and doing crafting leves. You need to spend 1 levequest 'allowance' to do a leve. You receive 3 levequest allowances every 12 hours. Luckily these allowances can stack all the way to 99 so you do not need to do them every day if you don't want to. You get to choose between 4 ypes of leves: Battlecraft leves, Tradecraft leves, Fieldcraft leves and Grand Company leves.

So if you do a Battlecraft leve you get exp for the class/job you did it as. If you do a tradecraft leve, you gain exp for your tradecraft. You do a fieldcraft leve and you gain exp for your fieldcraft. Etc etc.
    Cool thanks! and nice Avatar btw I am holding myself from buying ps only to play this game because I heard so much for it
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    anyone else getting a "There was a problem. Please try again later" when entering the 18 digit code?

- - - Updated - - -

nvm a quick google search showed more ppl with the same issue:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/678051-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/67029681

Deleted
    yes me too :<

also is there any way to check if you're account is all set up for early access and stuff?
    Last edited by mmocb2142eacd7; 2013-08-20 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmalya View Post

edit:
    I never thought of a taunt ability as a "i win" button more like a way to actually get back into the game if you die. Without taunt you might as well stay dead because there is no way you get aggro back before everyone else is dead.
    Which sucks esp in a game that has slight problems with acknowledging that you actually are outside of the big bad aoe.

Your right about the marking. But i always hated "zomg tank is dead quick brez, SS, raise/sleep, voke/flash/debuff/shadows x10000 times. This is where the off tank was born. I don't feel its right, nor challanging that you can get a tank back up x amount of times , use 1 ability then be back on track as if nothing ever happend. There would be no game over until 1. you got tired, 2. everyone eventually died, 3. it enraged. To a certain point. I found (as marauder) i joined in on a "boss" type fate that was 50% (for those who don't already you, you get lvl caped on FATEs). about a min later i was able to grab it's attension. Sure its a huge possibilty that things will go ape shit once a tank dies. But it also reinstates the challenge that many people will not be used to.

I hope it stays to work like this in actual end game content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickyz View Post
    anyone else getting a "There was a problem. Please try again later" when entering the 18 digit code?

- - - Updated - - -

nvm a quick google search showed more ppl with the same issue:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/67805...eborn/67029681
    I had the same issue however when I checked "my profile" it shows that I added FFXIV to my account today so something appears to have gone through and I assume thats me sorted although being SquEnix you never really can tell.

why we still not have FFxiv sub forum O_O?
    "if you dont like it, dont play the game! I love the way this game is 100% and nothing should be changed, because beta's aren't meant to improve a game. I will defend this games honor with my life and will refuse that anything bad be said about things that could be improved!"

- The FFXIV Community. (and some of "legacy" player)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by doraymon View Post
    just in case the game tanks again tho I don't think so personally(but this is the internet so who cares about someones opinion)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahmu View Post
    I hope that one of the first addons will be a threat meter ;p
    Why? It's built into the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post

I had some trouble as a pure Marauder (no Flash from GLD) but that's more because latency/positioning with Overpower is pretty annoying, especially when people are pulling adds.

I do think GLD is just straight-up superior at tanking by itself compared to MRD, but MRD with some cooldowns from GLD/LNC is more than capable of tanking. And I could tank single mobs just fine. It was usually multiples where I had some trouble, because Overpower is kind of crap for an AOE threat/enmity skill compared to Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by doraymon View Post
    Because "their UI is too big" and can't adjust the size for another section yet :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    Why? It's built into the UI.
    really? i didnt notice it :O
    "How poor are they that have not patience"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahmu View Post
    really? i didnt notice it :O
    its at the top left of the screen, next to the name under the class/job logo thing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Habbage View Post
    I had the same issue however when I checked "my profile" it shows that I added FFXIV to my account today so something appears to have gone through and I assume thats me sorted although being SquEnix you never really can tell.
    Same here. Just checked "My profile" and i have the game registered. Well, lol, i guess it redeemed the key just right.