Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Calm it down, everyone, please. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why is this thread even open? Or here? It's not wow related, and we already have this exact thread in off-topic.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    interesting reading, the long and short of it, is that people flaming/trolling/threatening game developers is actually starting to have an effect on game development.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/462...support-groups

apologies if this has been posted before
    Game developers overreacting and caring too much rather.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    You should probably move this thread TO THE RIGHT SECTION OF THE FORUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    How on earth can you expect gaming to be treated seriously, with respect, when there's people within our community who refuse to show any respect to anyone else?
    You will find these people in every community you can think of. Only when it comes to gaming and internet fandoms do people consider it OK to blame the whole community for the actions of its worst individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to make death threats to developers family as they have nothing at all to do with it, and i dont care if you need vent your problems or whatever. They are just patchetic to do it and they need some punishment so they learn that they are not untouchable behind the computer screen. Just because you are behind a computer screen does not meen you can say or do what you want. 99% dont have the balls to say anything to their faces but they can say what they want behind the screen, it's pathetic.
    Unfortunately, the line between annoying and harassment is highly subjective. If people start being "punished" for saying things that may be genuinely threatening.. it becomes a slippery slope where anyone can say "I feel threatened in this forum debate!!" Where to draw the line is a VERY important part of this discussion. As well as the definition of what constitutes a death threat.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    I don't believe we read the same article. And if we did, you .. i don't know a way around this. Are you intentionally ignoring the promotional art for dragon age and the ingame screenshot for Mass Effect 3 with the brand logo on the lower right? Not to mention the names of games being used in the article? How many times is the "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2" with special italics used in the article?
    It's pretty standard practice that promo pictures need to be used as-is without any modifications (like the game's logo on the corner) and that trademarked items are italicized in the text so that they stand out as trademarks. All three games were mentioned as examples of having negative fan reactions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Why is this thread even open? Or here? It's not wow related, and we already have this exact thread in off-topic.
    Maybe because people who like to start "GC needs to be fired" junk threads need some reality and attitiude adjustment, and are more likely to spot it here?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read this the other day. It's quite interesting how far an individual will take their madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    Dear god;

What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.

Infracted
    I agree... in a less harsh way.

Infraction made me lol, the irony!

Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    Unfortunately, the line between annoying and harassment is highly subjective. If people start being "punished" for saying things that may be genuinely threatening.. it becomes a slippery slope where anyone can say "I feel threatened in this forum debate!!" Where to draw the line is a VERY important part of this discussion. As well as the definition of what constitutes a death threat.
    That is true, my point though is that people need to learn that just because your sitting behind a computer does not mean you can behave like you want without consequences.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Like the LoL player who got thrown in jail for saying he's gonna shoot a school and eat children.
    That was not a threat. That was a sarcastic response to someone who said he was mentally unstable. I agree the response got blown way out of proportion, but it is not relevant to this thread because it was not a threat. If he had told that person that he was going to go to their house and eat their children that would have been a threat. See the difference?

Here's the full article: Texas teen makes violent joke during video game, is jailed for months

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    The just toss crap out there and see what sticks then remove what doesn't later our customer base be dammed style of programing that Ghostcrawler is the grandfather of or at least can be given credit for making main stream is the worse thing to ever happen to the gaming industry.
    I'm sorry, friend, but the release-and-patch strategy has been around since the mid-90's, long before Ghostcrawler was even on the scene. Please quit blaming everything on Ghostcrawler.
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2013-08-20 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Grow a thicker skin yeah.

And that article is pretending that only the gamers are to blame.

A while ago it was the Developer of Fez that started threatening to kill people on twitter and urged them to commit suicide. Lol, you shouldn't use social media or put yourself out there if you are unable to just shrug off the irrelevant bullshit that is being said on the internet and can't keep your head cool.

I agree.

For me, I'm tired of spending money on games that developers hype, piggy back a second game off a successful first that then offer nothing but problems, changes that mean little to nothing but changed anyway.

EX:
    The seemingly innocuous changes included reducing the damage of one weapon and rate of fire on two others. The changes, which were fractions of a second, spurred threats of violence online and an editorial by Activision social media manager Dan Amrich.
    Begs the question why should it be made in the first place.

You want to piss off some gamers? Make a change that means nothing in the grand scheme of the game but definitely looks like you changed it simple cause you could as a developer.

Take D3 - blizzard deserves every bit of negativity they get. The drama that D3 launched with, the drama of the RMAH, the drama of itemization around the RMAH, the poor story and the overall doubt the gamers said about the RMAH before it launched to then read blizzard say something along the lines of, the RMAH was a mistake but we're going to leave it in anyway. As if blizzard didn't know this already and launch the game anyway and took gamers cash.

As long as there are forums and social media outlets where developers want FREE input, FREE think tanks, FREE ideas from gamers, wanting us more and more attached to the games, while still taking our money with no course of getting it back on a bad game then I got no problem with telling developers just how bad they suck. How they should be fired, released and let go and whatever analogy gamers want to come up with.

Beyond the over the top, death threats, raping, harming children ETC... ETC... I say tell them off.

"If you enjoy your games," he wrote, "have a little respect for the people who make them — and stop threatening them with bodily harm every time they do their job."

You want a gamers respect, develop a good game that launches successfully, plays well, has few bugs, has a good story and balance and isn't made just to take our cash only. Stop the release a game and fix later after you got our cash.

I.E. - Do your job right the first time and you wont get the harsh feedback that hurts your game developer feelings.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-08-20 at 02:30 PM.

This style of developing has removed any and all responsibility from developers, placed the entire burden of dealing with their mistakes on their customer base.
    How do you figure? You don't have to deal with a thing. Unsubscribe and don't play any more: problem solved. On the other hand, this is their livelihood. The idea that they would jeopardize their families' welfare just to troll players is ridiculous. No one is perfect and sometimes miscalculations and mistakes are made. I am pretty darn sure that they are unintentional. They're the ones who have to deal with unemployment or lack of promotion if they screw up. They have much more to lose than you do.

It is only natural that there will be loss integrity and trust of their respective companies and anger by their consumer base because of it.

They simply can't expect to be treated any different than they treat, most every bit of anger directed toward them they earned.

The fix is simple no more nerfs!
    So you honestly think that responding to nerfs with death threats is "earned?" You think they deserve that level of anger just because they're trying to correct mistakes that were previously made? You need to get a grip on reality.

Once anything is moved off of test servers on to live servers it is a done deal, live should be buffs only. This would shift the burden back to the developers where it belongs.
    This is how things worked before software patches became so easy to distribute over the internet. If a bug was shipped with a game it remained in the game forever. On the one hand, games were generally higher quality at release. On the other hand, games that were far more simpler than today's took years to release. If you think waiting three months for new content is hard, imagine waiting a year or longer for each content drop because the company had to ensure that each drop was perfect. There's always a trade off.

Deleted
    This kind of fan-made 'feedback', along with overall 3DO's incompetence and lack of perspective, is what killed original "Might & Magic" franchise.

Avalanche of butthurt death threats over 'BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW modern weaponry and aliens in my fantasy universe! BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! ! !' and New World Computing was forced by its owner company to start their upcoming line from scratch mere months before release. And now "Might & Magic" universe has been rebooted and completely overhauled by Ubisoft.

Thank you very much, dear 'fans'.

Signed: Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Sure, but there's no use in catering to the oh-so-delicate feelings of others just to police some idiots.
    Since when is being polite "catering?" You should be polite on principle. The people spewing this vitriol with no consequences are the ones who have been indulged and catered to for far too long. Words to live by:
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2013-08-20 at 02:51 PM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cyberbullying is a joke.

None can harsh you in the internet, they simply can't. You can do two things:

1_ turn off the screen.

2_ Change your usernames, emails and IP... Making a new ID in the internet is as easy as eating cookies really.

People who still have problems with this should seek the help of a professional, but those are really a few persons.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Begs the question why should it be made in the first place.

You want to piss off some gamers? Make a change that means nothing in the grand scheme of the game but definitely looks like you changed it simple cause you could as a developer.
    Balance. Any competitive game is not competitive without it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The first reply to the OP sums up the best way to stop these trolls. Ignore them, grow a thicker skin.
    You didn't read the article linked in the OP, did you? How is the best response to SWAT teams being called to your house to "grow a thicker skin?"

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Cyberbullying is a joke.

None can harsh you in the internet, they simply can't. You can do two things:

1_ turn off the screen.

2_ Change your usernames, emails and IP... Making a new ID in the internet is as easy as eating cookies really.
    You didn't read the article then? Some of those devs are getting threatening mail and calls at home, not just over the internet. Some people are actually pretty fucked up IRL too, not just over the internet.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    *sigh* The anti-bullying culture is getting really rediculous. Trolls/bullies have been around as long as human beings have but I do not believe that the percentage of humans who would actually do something serious has increased. All it is is that the internet has given people a means to publicly vent their every thought. Who among us hasn't said to themselves something like "If that DJ plays that song one more time... I'm going to kill him!" ? Who among us actually seriously contemplated killing the person in question? Censorship isn't the answer. If you're not allowed to say things like that, it doesn't change how anyone actually feels. And if there is a psycho out there wanting to kill a game dev, whether or not he emails or posts about it is the least of our problems.
    I'm sorry but there is a fine line between saying crap to yourself and out and out threatening to murder someone and their families, if you do that crap to people it is against the law and for you to even compare them together it honestly shows you lack common sense and maturity.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Balance. Any competitive game is not competitive without it.
    And many times for balance I might agree with you. Just not here and not that example.

innocuous changes - Which to the gamers it was.
    were fractions of a second - clearly it meant something to the games.

Thats not balance, thats called a balance change cause you got nothing else better to file it under. It's a change cause you want to see if it makes a difference in game with only computer drive simulation data, not real world and they want to see what happens.

That kind of change deserves negative feedback in a more then harsh presentation. After release, not really the time to develop by the, "Lets see what happens" method with such a minor change that was suppose to be innocuous but wasn't.