10+ Year Old Account
    I've been considering getting into fighting games, not Street Fighter or Marvel VS Capcom. I loved Tekken when i was younger especially Tekken 3. Is Tekken Tag Tournament 2 a great game to start with?

Question Open world "sandbox" PVP MMO like Dark Age of Camelot? Vote?

Hey folks, I'm looking for a fairly balanced open world PVP mainstream MMO to start playing. I was looking for about a year, before I finally gave up and bought GW2. Turns out the lack of open world PVP turned me off of even wanting to level another character. I hit 80 and realized leveling was only for access to a little more PVE content and the whole PVP thing was not only separate, but it was all staged and instanced. I like the danger of knowing I could get ganked while leveling, or that I have that ability to kill an unsuspecting character in their home town. In my opinion, both WoW DAoC really did this well. There were guards stationed at each town, and getting there was difficult, but not impossible. This is not to say I want an all out gank fest, but like those 2 MMO's, I do like the possibility. I also can't stand the influx in anime inspired graphics. There are some good games out there I would consider if I wasn't running around with characters wearing wedding dresses or my little pony bows. WoW was pushing it, but it was playable. However, the panda expansion stuff... I can't really get passed that. Anyway, I'd really not like to go back to WoW, it's had its time.. same as DAoC. I've asked around and have had several suggestions. And after a lot of reading up on them, I narrowed it down to a few. Knowing my thoughts on mmo's, I'm hoping to hear your folks thoughts on which one of these may have the advantage. Also, I'm hoping for a sort of sword and armor theme - non grinding and a lot of players. This is why I didn't choose DC Universe Online, any of the MMO shooters, and a lot of "indie" games. This is what I've gotten it down to:

Darkfall
    Lineage 2
    Tera
    Regnum Online
    Aion

Maybe I missed one researching online. If you think there's one out there better than all these, please post up Can be F2P or otherwise. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Wargasm; 2013-08-21 at 07:49 AM.

Deleted
    Think Darkfall is your best bet, they do nothing but talk about their PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    My history and preferences are the same as yours, apart from a few matters.

1)I played Rift recently, leveled to 60 and then grinded some pvp-prestige levels (pvp ranks), but its a meaningless grind in terms of pvp.
    There is no real competition or a way to gauge where u stand apart from pvp-ranks which anyone can gain irrespective of skill (time-based/afk in warzones and you`ll get to rank 80 while being absolutely bad at the game). Was fun for 1.5 months till i called quits on it.

2) I just restarted Tera, and I`m still conflicted as i do not know how the end game pvp is. Leveling is very boring i must say. Rift leveling was a lot of fun and i constantly had dungeons/pvp (basically player interaction throughout). Maybe it`s just me, but Tera isn`t growing on me.

3) Lineage 2 is just a worse game when compared to the above 2.

4) Regnum Online is old and clunky. While there is probably still a market for it, I personally would stray away from it, especially if you`re coming from a modern day MMO background.

5) Darkfall has the same issue as that of the old Final Fantasy XIV version. In that, the game seems to be incomplete and still launched. This is based on reading up/reviews/friend`s experiences.

6) I wouldnt recommend Aion again since you`re looking for a mainstream pvp mmo. Population issues might bore you.

TL;DR, Rift is a good temporary (1-2 months) option. Tera is decent but no personal end-game experience to back up this claim.
    Imho, your best bet is to play temporary mmos to till time kill something better comes up. (1-2 years :<, hold me)
    Last edited by Stormkhan; 2013-08-21 at 09:09 AM.

The only option is to wait.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

today's mmo players don't like uninstanced PVP, it's why it died in wow
    there aren't 10,000,000 MMORPG fans out there but they damn sure pretend to be just that. as long as you give them instanced everything, a way to catch up, ports everywhere, queues, etc

the era of REALL MMORPGs is dead. what you want is wow probably, everything else is moving to purely instanced pvp because nobody really wants to do it otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by mmotroof View Post
    the era of REALL MMORPGs is dead. what you want is wow probably, everything else is moving to purely instanced pvp because nobody really wants to do it otherwise
    Except of griefing idiots claiming they only want fair world PvP back, while ganking people 30 levels lower than them, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Awesome responses, thanks everyone. Stormkhan, thank you for the in depth insight. I was hoping to find someone that's played a few of these and with the same taste. I'll have to check out Rift in my search. I don't mind the PvP grind for a prestigious title so much. I think the prestige gained is when others start recognizing your name. i.e. if anyone remembers Avatar from WoW. Whether it's notorious or otherwise.

Aion does have the non mainstream thing that's discouraging me. It is free to play though... I may give it a shot.

Darkfall seemed the most promising. It's pay to play as well. But this is why I asked opinions.

I'm not obsessed with PVP, but I don't want a lack of game content to discourage me from even getting there either.

I may also just have to wait after all as well. Thanks again, all. And keep em' coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
    Awesome responses, thanks everyone. Stormkhan, thank you for the in depth insight. I was hoping to find someone that's played a few of these and with the same taste. I'll have to check out Rift in my search. I don't mind the PvP grind for a prestigious title so much. I think the prestige gained is when others start recognizing your name. i.e. if anyone remembers Avatar from WoW. Whether it's notorious or otherwise.

Aion does have the non mainstream thing that's discouraging me. It is free to play though... I may give it a shot.

Darkfall seemed the most promising. It's pay to play as well. But this is why I asked opinions.

I'm not obsessed with PVP, but I don't want a lack of game content to discourage me from even getting there either.

I may also just have to wait after all as well. Thanks again, all. And keep em' coming!
    There is a grind in Darkfall though, but you can be viable in about a week but as long as you get a good clan it's not that bad.
    Company behind the game is terrible though and barely talks to anyone, but the sieges/naval battles are fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BP4Z...ature=youtu.be shows the scale of sieges pretty well

the one thing that made daoc special was that you were protected in your homezone and everyone who entered the rvr zones was 90% in there because of pvp.
    there actually is no alternative to daoc. go play that on official server or 4 free on uthgard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
    Hey folks, I'm looking for a fairly balanced open world PVP mainstream MMO to start playing. I was looking for about a year, before I finally gave up and bought GW2. Turns out the lack of open world PVP turned me off of even wanting to level another character. I hit 80 and realized leveling was only for access to a little more PVE content and the whole PVP thing was not only separate, but it was all staged and instanced. I like the danger of knowing I could get ganked while leveling, or that I have that ability to kill an unsuspecting character in their home town. In my opinion, both WoW DAoC really did this well. There were guards stationed at each town, and getting there was difficult, but not impossible. This is not to say I want an all out gank fest, but like those 2 MMO's, I do like the possibility. I also can't stand the influx in anime inspired graphics. There are some good games out there I would consider if I wasn't running around with characters wearing wedding dresses or my little pony bows. WoW was pushing it, but it was playable. However, the panda expansion stuff... I can't really get passed that. Anyway, I'd really not like to go back to WoW, it's had its time.. same as DAoC. I've asked around and have had several suggestions. And after a lot of reading up on them, I narrowed it down to a few. Knowing my thoughts on mmo's, I'm hoping to hear your folks thoughts on which one of these may have the advantage. Also, I'm hoping for a sort of sword and armor theme - non grinding and a lot of players. This is why I didn't choose DC Universe Online, any of the MMO shooters, and a lot of "indie" games. This is what I've gotten it down to:

Darkfall
    Lineage 2
    Tera
    Regnum Online
    Aion

Maybe I missed one researching online. If you think there's one out there better than all these, please post up Can be F2P or otherwise. Thanks everyone!

Play Rift until Trion translates Archeage, then switch to that. There is your open world sandbox pvp game with sieges, naval warfare, etc. Won't be too long now (less than a year for sure, most likely about half a year at most).

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkhan View Post

5) Darkfall has the same issue as that of the old Final Fantasy XIV version. In that, the game seems to be incomplete and still launched. This is based on reading up/reviews/friend`s experiences.
    Darkfall UW is an incomplete game, the pvp was ok but since only half of the class rolls are in it gets very old.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am trying to remember some game i played back when i was kid. (only demo)
    The grafic was cartonny and the game was kinda turn based.
    You made a plan to steal something in building and then you send your thief to steal it. It was very tactical. With money you purchased better burglar items. (or hire minions)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    any1 knows an rpg for pc/ps3/ps2/snes/wii/gba/nds that has a lot of leveling involved? I mean like silly amount of levels or some form of reset like in MU online... where you just keep getting stronger and stronger until you can 1 hit most stuff including bosses...
    Check out the Disgaea series (they're on PS2, PS3, PSP, and Vita). The max level is 9,999 and you can reincarnate your characters. The higher level the character was when you reincarnate him the stronger he'll be as you level him again. I've seen Youtube videos of damage getting up into the billions Also with things like the Item World (you can go into your items and level them up too) the replay value is only as limited as your willingness to keep playing

Looking for a PC multiplayer game, preferably online co-op, that isn't a shooter or zombie game for me and my gf. We've played Terraria, Minecraft, Portal 2 for ideas on types of games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magicka, funny as hell. Murder your gf or kill yourself in game cause why not.

Please suggest a game that will help me appreciate a first person shooter game. I don't want suggestions people who play plenty of FPS, i want suggestions from people who dislike FPS then played THIS fps game then suddenly liked the genre.

I have finished ALL popular "shooter" games that isn't first person Mass Effect 123, R Evils, SCell, Uncharteds, Tomb Raider 2013, Max Payne, Alan Wake, Metal Gears... list goes on..

But in my 20 years on playing video games i have never bought or finished any first person shooter game, i really dont know what turns me off FPS games but i really want to like it. I dont know where to start. So can anyone suggest me a good one preferably with a VERY VERY good story, wont turn me off 1st hour, and current gen graphics is a plus.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2013-08-24 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    Please suggest a game that will help me appreciate a first person shooter game. I don't want suggestions people who play plenty of FPS, i want suggestions from people who dislike FPS then played THIS fps game then suddenly liked the genre.

I have finished ALL popular "shooter" games that isn't first person Mass Effect 123, R Evils, SCell, Uncharteds, Tomb Raider 2013, Max Payne, Alan Wake, Metal Gears... list goes on..

But in my 20 years on playing video games i have never bought or finished any first person shooter game, i really dont know what turns me off FPS games but i really want to like it. I dont know where to start. So can anyone suggest me a good one preferably with a VERY VERY good story, wont turn me off 1st hour, and current gen graphics is a plus.
    Spec Ops: The Line. The name makes it sound like a very generic shooter when it's far fromm and honestly I've grown sick of everything FPS, but I really enjoyed this game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipersteve View Post
    Spec Ops: The Line. The name makes it sound like a very generic shooter when it's far fromm and honestly I've grown sick of everything FPS, but I really enjoyed this game.
    In terms of gameplay it is very much a generic third person coverbased shooter. It has a awesome story though and I'd higly recomend it ^^

If you're looking for that old vanilla feel...

I suggest playing Asheron's Call 2, played through first 19 lvls and having a blast lol. Never played it before but this game is a true undiscovered gem for me Not even bothered with the Guild Wars 2 free weekend lol