Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno I like both of them.
    Garrosh's horde is more like I wanted this expac to be. Not quite as brutal as id like the horde to be but closer.
    Being the "bad" guy, why not. It suits me fine.
    My view of how the horde should be fits more If the horde came to pandaria commited genocide on innocent pandarens, enslaved the survivors shipped them back to orgimmar and so on. Essentially making the entirety of the panda race the new peons.
    The whole pandaren joining the horde, I would solve like so; they could be the traitors of the slaves (slave overseers, perfectly normal to use the captives to control themselves they had them in Auschwitz).

Then we could actually have an expansion focused on the war between the horde and alliance and not against some outside threat.

Deleted
    It is kind of hilarious to see all these Blizzard apologists becoming all defensive about heavily implied Garrosh's role of a destructive, evil Fuhrer and denying EVEN THE EXPLAINATIONS FROM WOW DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES regarding this character developement. I never thought I would see Aquamonkey whine about decisions made by WoW team - but! Here it is!

On the eve of 5.4 patch I will savour each and every single one of your delicious tears.

Sylvanas has a lot more going for her than just boobs in fact. Like you know, living (possibly) forever thanks to being undead, planning and scheming for long term, always having a fresh deck of playing cards up her sleve. And probably the most notable, she's one of the few characters from WC3 that is still true to herself. And only herself. She is just one freaking crazy thing, I find it hard not to like her for that alone.

Compared to that, Garrosh is just a brainless brute that allowed himself to become corrupted, bearing the family name of a war "hero" who... was essentially a brainless brute that became corrupted as well. He just has nothing likable about him. I mean, Thrall and some other higher-up orcs have shown that the race can be decent if they try, and god did Thrall try to batter some brain into Grom's son. I must say I lost all respect for Garrosh back at the Argent Tourney when he caused trouble in front of Tirion and his warchief.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Well then I guess your books never going to be satisfied, since you can't tell who the bad guy is even when he's in front of you.

All I read in these argument are 'I like him because he's a bad guy'.. which, okay, you like him because he's a bad guy.. he's still the bad guy though, and trying to convince yourselves he's not is where denial sets him.
    Don't you get it? He's a good guy because he's a "bad guy". I don't wanna play humans with a different hat (like 'humans with tusks', or 'humans with different skin colour', or 'humans but with pointy ears', or 'humans but with horns,' or...). I want orcs that act like orcs, not like humans. And what do orcs want? To kill and destroy! What do trolls want? I dunno, but probably much of the same. What do the undead want? To make everything else undead, obviously! Leaders who don't support these goals are not "good guys"; they are "bad guys". Of course, humans won't agree with that, but I'm not playing a human, I'm playing a walking corpse that eats people after raping their souls, and anyone who would resrict my ability to do that is a bad guy in my eyes (and I am naturally the ideal orc/troll/undead, and someone the other races of the horde should aspire to be like as well).

I'm playing the faction with orcs, trolls, and the undead. I want my leaders to murder orphans and crush civilizations for no other reason than that they're there and they're not strong enough to resist. Such leaders would be good guys from the perspective of a rabid, genocidal, war-mongering lunatic like myself. I'm not here to sing cumbaja with gnomes and dwarves and those disgusting humans (humans who resist the undeath! could anything be more evil than that?), nevermind the pandaren. The very thought! Any who adopt any attitude other than rank xenophobia towards non-hordes are bad guys. They want our destruction! We must destroy them first! Even if they didn't, their existence offends nature itself. They must be destroyed, by any means necessary, any good and proper person would agree with me.

(The same of course applies to the other factions of the horde as well - that should go without saying - but we wait with that war until we've destroyed the alliance. Gotta be smart about it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    This whole 'its retarded because its not what i thought would happen' is just beyond ridiculous now. The sort of people that can't keep up with the story and yet claim they know it better then those that do always end up having the worst understanding of character development.
    It's not what I didn't think would happen. Obviously, I assumed the horde wouldn't be allowed to keep a leader that was actually a good leader in charge of the horde. It's just that the way they go about it is downright imbecilic. He went from the proper, enraged, crazy, warmongering lunatic that any good orc should strive to be, to a moron who actively engineers his own destruction by, among other things, antagonizing his own faction beyond all reason.

And my player character is working against him from the start! Even though I wanted nothing more than to stab that worthless gimp vol'jin in the heart after our first fight with garrosh' soldiers; then to carry that heart to garrosh and be like "yeah your dudes totally attacked us, but we killed them, thus proving our strength, and now bring you his heart, thus proving our loyalty".

I even have to suffer through countless encounters with that little shit anduin, every one during which I would've been able to kill him, as would naturally have been the only proper response for any situation where his capture wasn't possible, but nooo... it would've been so easy, for my character to stab its skeletal fingers into his chest and rip the heart out. The kid is crippled, too. He'd be no match at all. I even have to deal with that moronic tauren guy, who goes to battle wearing a baby arounc his neck, and who openly undermines garrosh from day one. Absurd.

Ah well. Of course, what I want to be the case isn't the case, and hasn't been the case for quite some time. The orcs initiated their bitchification process somewhere prior to WC3. But I can still dream! Garrosh represented my dream... short-lived though it was.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Sylvanas has style, she isn't evil, in D&D alignment system she would be "Chaotic Neutral" with some "naughty" flare. Everything she does is either to protect her people, ensure their survival or out of revenge (Arthas). She is also a great tactician and strategist.

While Garrosh is nothing more than an ugly spoiled brat driven by impulses and lust for power.

Sylvanas is much more in depth character. And I think the only person who allmost managed to take down Arthas 1vs1 during WC3 The Frozen Throne (Kel'Thuzad saved him).

Quote Originally Posted by RadamentX View Post
    Sylvanas has style, she isn't evil, in D&D alignment system she would be "Chaotic Neutral" with some "naughty" flare..
    Thats nonsense, she is neutral evil. chaotic neutral are for the crazy characters. She has plans for her plague and still develops a new one. You must have missed to play through all the quests with her or watching her speeches in gilneas and silverpine. What you descripe is their propaganda. Watch her cutscenes when garrosh or an orc commander just left the screen.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2013-08-21 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Read up on the lore, they aren't hating it nor do they feel like they are suffering.

That's why they have the option of going back to being death.

Same as above.
    Well yes, that is quite clear.
    You are unable to set aside your bias that all zombies are evil, which makes Forsaken-discussions impossible.

To use the famous words of Monty Python: "Well I didn't vote for you."
    In case you missed it: He is trying to execute all the people who disobey his orders, including Sylvanas.
    And again I would like to ask what exactly is evil about not following orders?
    Hey there! Don't know if you're still following this thread, but I figured I'd throw something out for you to chew on.

First off, questing has to be viewed as a timeline. Events in Tirisfal happen before Silverpine, before WPL. We can work with Tirisfal > Silverpine > Hillsbrad > WPL pretty easily.

In Tirisfal, new players are greeted, and informed they have a choice. Live or die. They pick to live, so they remain a member of the Forsaken and begin undertaking small missions.

They get to Silverpine and witness many more resurrections. But something goes wrong. One of the newly resurrected Forsaken does what is in all honesty, the most likely thing for a newly raised Forsaken to do. Godfrey shoots Sylvanas right in the head, because she's still his enemy. He then breaks away and becomes a massive thorn in her side for a while.

Surprisingly, from my memory, Hillsbrad doesn't have a -ton- of resurrecting going on in it. It's just plague this, plague that, traitor, traitor, abduct some Alliance forces, so on so forth.

The next time you really see the Val'kyr in full on conversion mode is in WPL. And you yourself are given the task of taking her around to rez up dead Alliance to fight for Andorhal. But their reactions are... odd. Quotes like
    "I suppose I serve the Horde now."
    They stand up and, without much, or any communication from the Val'kyr or player, wage war against the Alliance. Just like that.

Isn't it likely, that the timeline is thus?
    Tirisfal= No problems. Corpses allowed to retain free will upon return. High convergence rate.
    Silverpine= Slight snag. Godfrey killed Sylvanas. Clearly this freewill thing is a bit dangerous.
    Hillsbrad= Now we're abducting live SI:7 guys instead of killing them. Why?
    WPL= No more Mr. Nice undeath. They will be slaves and they will be used to kill their one time commander and friends, seconds after being reanimated.

It's at least a little fishy, no?

I like Sylvanas better because Garrosh is just a storytelling tool. Agressive counterpart to Varian in Wotlk, then suddenly the honorable klingon-like leader in Cata with Blizzard telling us that we have to like him and then (probably as a reaction to the alliance complaining) now now suddenly a stupid GARROSH SMASH ! villain to have him as a raidboss. Whats to like there ? He's just not believable as a character.
    Sylvanas on the other hand is. She is evil but not supid-evil and her character made a constant, believable development.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivion View Post
    WPL= No more Mr. Nice undeath. They will be slaves and they will be used to kill their one time commander and friends, seconds after being reanimated.
    Weren't some of the newly reanimated Forsaken just overwhelmed by blind rage, and after that subsided, they either returned to grave or just continued to (un)live. And that forced obedience thing in WPL was removed in beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here, I'll make this easy for you.

Which makes for a more interesting character? An evil strategist (Sylvanas) or an arrogant brute that probably couldn't spell his name on a piece of paper (Garrosh).

Quote Originally Posted by Mokaproductionist View Post
    Weren't some of the newly reanimated Forsaken just overwhelmed by blind rage, and after that subsided, they either returned to grave or just continued to (un)live. And that forced obedience thing in WPL was removed in beta.
    I could get blind rage, but their comments don't reflect that. They seem rather matter of fact instead, as if it's a foregone conclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole 'she's hot, he's not' thing has its place but is a juvenile reason to prefer one over the other. Sylvanas has more interesting motives for what she does and seems to be a lot more complex. There's also a sense that you never really quite know what's going on with her. From a player perspective that's usually a bit more interesting. Garrosh at this point is a cartoon villain.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post
    But it kind of does in the context of the story. She abandoned them to commit suicide. She went into the afterlife not knowing that the Valkyr could pull a magical res out of their backsides. Sylvanas completely washed her hands of the Forsaken in that moment, despite the fact that so many of them look upon her as some sort of divine savior. And again, I'm not saying she doesn't have feelings. What I'm saying is that she doesn't feel she has any obligation towards her people past using them as a safety-net to keep from going back to the void.
    "Your people will perish!" said the dark-haired Val'kyr. She had clearly been the youngest of the battlemaidens in life and was now the most impatient in her undeath.

Sylvanas thought about her people. They had come far from their decimated origins, the yearning, confused mob of fresh corpses huddled about the ruins of Lordaeron's wrecked capital. The Forsaken were truly a nation now: a fetid, gore-caked, hideous mass of lifeless husks, skilled in combat, devastating with the arcane arts, and unhindered by fetters of morality. They had been honed into the perfect weapon. Her weapon. And they had struck the killing blow for which she had built them. She cared nothing for their fate.

"Let them perish!" Sylvanas cried. "I am finished with them!"
    (Italics not added)

I see Kangodo's point. It does show that she made them for that one purpose and it was done, but why is she getting all worked up over them dying? If she really didn't care, she would be indifferent and emotionless when shown that vision.

EDIT: Sylvanas was pretty pissed and emotional when she thought the Alliance were burning the Forsaken and the thought that they were being destroyed:

Within the city walls, bonfires raged. Sylvanas seethed; the Alliance was already burning the corpses. No. Wait. She tried to make sense out of the clouded vision. The few Forsaken who remain are throwing themselves into the bonfires, she realized, rather than facing their executioners.

"This isn't real!" Sylvanas announced, her voice echoing in her head and sounding as it had when she had been alive. Were her people really so weak? No—no! Garrosh had all but murdered the best of her troops in his own wasteful campaigns. The Forsaken leadership had been gutted. That was what these visions showed.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-21 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivion View Post
    Hey there! Don't know if you're still following this thread, but I figured I'd throw something out for you to chew on.

First off, questing has to be viewed as a timeline. Events in Tirisfal happen before Silverpine, before WPL. We can work with Tirisfal > Silverpine > Hillsbrad > WPL pretty easily.

In Tirisfal, new players are greeted, and informed they have a choice. Live or die. They pick to live, so they remain a member of the Forsaken and begin undertaking small missions.

They get to Silverpine and witness many more resurrections. But something goes wrong. One of the newly resurrected Forsaken does what is in all honesty, the most likely thing for a newly raised Forsaken to do. Godfrey shoots Sylvanas right in the head, because she's still his enemy. He then breaks away and becomes a massive thorn in her side for a while.

Surprisingly, from my memory, Hillsbrad doesn't have a -ton- of resurrecting going on in it. It's just plague this, plague that, traitor, traitor, abduct some Alliance forces, so on so forth.

The next time you really see the Val'kyr in full on conversion mode is in WPL. And you yourself are given the task of taking her around to rez up dead Alliance to fight for Andorhal. But their reactions are... odd. Quotes like
    "I suppose I serve the Horde now."
    They stand up and, without much, or any communication from the Val'kyr or player, wage war against the Alliance. Just like that.

Isn't it likely, that the timeline is thus?
    Tirisfal= No problems. Corpses allowed to retain free will upon return. High convergence rate.
    Silverpine= Slight snag. Godfrey killed Sylvanas. Clearly this freewill thing is a bit dangerous.
    Hillsbrad= Now we're abducting live SI:7 guys instead of killing them. Why?

It's at least a little fishy, no?
    WPL is not full conversion mode. The Val'kyr in Deathknell are raising hundreds every day. What they do on the battlefield is for strategic advantage. When someone is raised after dying under extreme stress, they are in a temporary crazed state and easily taken advantage of.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Why do some Alliance soldiers raised by the Forsaken immediately become loyal to the Forsaken while others do not? Are they being mind controlled? If so, by whom - Sylvanas or the Val'kyr? How does this relate to the fact that the Forsaken cultural identity is based on their free will and rebellion against the Lich King?
    Free will is one of the cornerstones of Forsaken culture, with the great capacity for both good and evil that it entails. However, some undead, especially those who die in combat or under extreme stress and are raised soon after, enter into a violent, frenzied state. Undead in this state are easily manipulated and their rage is often directed at the foes of those who raised them. After the effects wear off, if the risen corpse has not been destroyed, they are given the same ultimatum that other Forsaken are offered: join the Dark Lady or return to the grave. (Souce)

WPL: You ress an undead and he joins the Forsaken.
    Doesn't sound fishy anymore.
    No, you rez DOZENS of undead who behave the same way. And then you take them to immediately kill their former comrades and commander, all without a peep. It's a sudden change of heart so massive that there is no explanation for it, short of the revelation that all those Alliance farmers and militia were secretly waiting for an excuse to kill other humans without getting yelled at.

You're simplifying, I'm extrapolating. "You ressed a guy and he joins the forsaken" is about as dry as it gets. "You res a farmer you JUST killed and his first reaction is to be like "Huh, guess I'll go fight my former friends now,"" is completely different.

You go in there, with a small army of people dedicated to reclaiming the land for the Alliance and turning it into fertile land, and you force them to do the opposite. You conquer it for the Forsaken, which don't seem overly concerned with the land in general and slaughter their former allies.

Tell me that's an act of free will.

Edit:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Why do some Alliance soldiers raised by the Forsaken immediately become loyal to the Forsaken while others do not? Are they being mind controlled? If so, by whom - Sylvanas or the Val'kyr? How does this relate to the fact that the Forsaken cultural identity is based on their free will and rebellion against the Lich King?
    Free will is one of the cornerstones of Forsaken culture, with the great capacity for both good and evil that it entails. However, some undead, especially those who die in combat or under extreme stress and are raised soon after, enter into a violent, frenzied state. Undead in this state are easily manipulated and their rage is often directed at the foes of those who raised them. After the effects wear off, if the risen corpse has not been destroyed, they are given the same ultimatum that other Forsaken are offered: join the Dark Lady or return to the grave. (Souce)
    Blizzard has appeared to provide an answer, so I'll concede here. I would wish for better writing though, because NONE of the undead you raise in WPL seem raged, or even mildly upset. They even have the mental fortitude for you to turn them into a small fighting team and follow you into battle AFTER BEING TRAINED. Either an utter failure of writing, or a quick cover your ass from Blizzard. Sad.
    Last edited by Ivion; 2013-08-21 at 06:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) we don't know exactly all the context around how each new forsaken died before being raised by te Valkyr (true, we see some living humans are being killed by Sylvanas' Val'kyr just to raise them, which seems dubious; but some humans may have just died through various circumstances)

2) perhaps there is a hell, and one's brief experience being dead and in hell is worse than the experience of being undead and within a few seconds of being raised a person can know they would rather be undead than dead, and so they make a quick decision with very little convincing.

3) We know that some of those raised are not intelligent enough to be foresaken (zombies); some refuse to join the foresaken, and some take a long time to come to terms with being turned (lilian voss), so concievably playable new foresaken who willing join the horde might represent only a tiny percentage of all the undead attempt to raise, and most are duds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasstapp View Post
    I think the obvious answer is this: He has no nipples.
    I always knew something was off with him in-game, but I just couldn't place it. Now I know.

His loading screen art, on the other hand...
    Bessiepage - Korgath (US) / Acekicker - Ghostlands (US) / Maristraza - Ghostlands (US) / Niimeria - Korgath (US) / Khanga - Korgath (US)

If you don't want me to simplify stuff, than people should try and provide a link to the actual quest instead of quoting random stuff that gives ZERO results on Google.
    http://wowpedia.org/Quest:Ace_in_the_Hole

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=26937

In both of these, you use the Val'kyr's ability "charm" on the newly raised Forsaken. Presumably, this doesn't mean she flirts with the Undead to get them to team up with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    "Your people will perish!" said the dark-haired Val'kyr. She had clearly been the youngest of the battlemaidens in life and was now the most impatient in her undeath.

Sylvanas thought about her people. They had come far from their decimated origins, the yearning, confused mob of fresh corpses huddled about the ruins of Lordaeron's wrecked capital. The Forsaken were truly a nation now: a fetid, gore-caked, hideous mass of lifeless husks, skilled in combat, devastating with the arcane arts, and unhindered by fetters of morality. They had been honed into the perfect weapon. Her weapon. And they had struck the killing blow for which she had built them. She cared nothing for their fate.

"Let them perish!" Sylvanas cried. "I am finished with them!"
    (Italics not added)
    See, I interpreted that as Sylvanas getting pissed off at the Valkyr for them trying to strike a chord with her, which resulted in Sylvanas turning around and screaming at them. I didn't interpret that as her having an emotional breakdown at the thought of the Forsaken being exterminated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post
    See, I interpreted that as Sylvanas getting pissed off at the Valkyr for them trying to strike a chord with her, which resulted in Sylvanas turning around and screaming at them. I didn't interpret that as her having an emotional breakdown at the thought of the Forsaken being exterminated.
    Read the rest of that post to see her get angry at what happened to the Forsaken. It's more than just the Val'kyr pestering her.

Sylvanas was pretty pissed and emotional when she thought the Alliance were burning the Forsaken and the thought that they were being destroyed:

Within the city walls, bonfires raged. Sylvanas seethed; the Alliance was already burning the corpses. No. Wait. She tried to make sense out of the clouded vision. The few Forsaken who remain are throwing themselves into the bonfires, she realized, rather than facing their executioners.

"This isn't real!" Sylvanas announced, her voice echoing in her head and sounding as it had when she had been alive. Were her people really so weak? No—no! Garrosh had all but murdered the best of her troops in his own wasteful campaigns. The Forsaken leadership had been gutted. That was what these visions showed.