Poll: Do you like having content only be there for 2-4 weeks?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Never tried the game. Saw a review on it a long time ago, does it still have the take 2 steps in one direction and the sky darkens and oh shit all hellz gonna break loose, take 2 steps in the other direction and it's all sunshine blue skies thing?
    Yes, but it depends on graphics settings. XD

The game's optimization is... lacking.

Regarding OP: My biggest complaint are things like mount drops. Take Naxx 2.0, those of us who are a little slow to finish content lost out on the chance for the plagued and black proto-drakes. Blizzard decided to yank them "just because" then after the fact realized it was a bad move that made people upset. So they decided not to remove mounts as meta anchovies.

I was SO CLOSE to getting those. If not for one small screw up!!! Damn you Grimwar! (joke)
    Your analogy is horribly flawed. In WoW they had to remove those rewards because new tiers/balance changes greatly impact previous tiers. If you weren't able to get the rewards in time (what was it 7months? oct 14 - apr 14 ) it simply means you weren't good enough. Doing it in a timely manner is part of the difficulty, driving a car around a track isn't hard doing it within a certain time is.

Trial of the Crusader also had a mount, but it was a little different. That was a special drop for special people who beat the content, on-level with current gear. Removing that was more fair. But still, we see other mounts like LK and Mimi can still drop but at VERY low rates. I think that is more fair.
    It was the exact same thing as naxx you simply needed to do "undying" there is no specific gear requirement mentioned. Nobody can die and you can't reset.

Then take the mounts from ZG, I was never able to get them to drop, then boom gone because they redid it.
    Is the only exception since it basically was an RNG drop that had nothing to do with skill, removing that is unfair since you can't "prepare" for the removal of it. Even if you farmed it bi-weekly you weren't guaranteed your loot. (molten jetpack, weaponskinns from BLC, ...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Is there something your in PR manual that says when someone causally mentions another game in GW2 thread you need to deflect to a negative criticism about that game? This is so far off-topi of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post
    Is there something your in PR manual that says when someone causally mentions another game in GW2 thread you need to deflect to a negative criticism about that game? This is so far off-topi of this thread.
    I'm not knocking the game at all, don't take it like that! I've heard great things about the devs, that they are upfront guys and what they've done as far as getting content out at a much faster rate than other MMOs and all. I got nothing bad to say about them and I hope they do really well. BovD's comment just made me think of this review I saw because it was funny.
    Valar morghulis

Yeah Rift invasions are very similar, but there tended to be a single raid that roamed. GW2's invasions actually complete faster if you split up into groups of 10. My fastest completion is 35 minutes.

Also, the players would love a speedrun record for the game. It's already a big part of the PVE culture.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyClinch View Post
    I don't think she entirely disagrees with you. There is stuff you can do when you are 80. That's not endgame though. Endgame is the stuff you do right before you WIN the game. That's the endgame is chess.
    The issue really is that an MMO is not chess. Once you hit max level, the game still goes. Thus, for most MMO players, "Endgame" has a meaning which is max level content. If someone says "what do you do at endgame", the response is to tell them what you do at max level, not to tell them they are wrong to use the word endgame.

I don't see the issue here. GW2 purposely has limited endgame. It also has other activities for the hardcore player to kill some time with if they so desire - but so do regular games. Heck I think even Mario had some modes like that..

Likely you are the type that doesn't believe MMOs have endgames. (I think they most assuredly DO).. For example in WOTLK - the endgame is the stuff you do to beat Arthas. You might do other stuff - like beat Arthas on Heroic. But in my mind the the player that beats Arthas has completed the endgame.
    Raids and heroic dungeons are WoW's endgame, along with various daily quest hubs.

Deleted
    I havent played rift since release, but one thing i liked were invasions they were awesome, and there were some consequences if you didnt stop the zone wide invasions if I remember correctly. Love that gw2 is using rifts idea hopefuly they will include some nasty consequences if we fail the zone wide event.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyClinch View Post
    You know what one of my favorite times in WoW was - the zombie invasion. That's because it was a SPECIAL temporary event. Epic.
    It was one of my favorites as well, but the thing is there was nothing associated with it that was temporary.* No achievements, no mounts, no minis, no titles. If you missed it you only missed the experience. That is what I wish they would do with GW2 temporary content.

* There were armor sets that dropped, but few went after them because the stats on them were not as good as raid gear and transmogrification didn't exist at the time. I also think they may have been re-colorings of existing armor, but I don't remember.

Yeah, recolorings of existing armor, though cheap epics. They had some useless stat on them, undead resistance or something odd like that.
    But, they also had the banner with the paladin, and some tabards and stuff, there was plenty of gear comparable to the minipets or potions or whatnot, actually.

(though technically that was part of the Scourge invasion that occured alongside the plague outbreak)

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Yeah, recolorings of existing armor, though cheap epics. They had some useless stat on them, undead resistance or something odd like that.
    Well, I was playing a feral druid the first time it happened in vanilla with the release of Naxx, so 75% of all armor stats at that time were useless to me. :P

But, they also had the banner with the paladin, and some tabards and stuff, there was plenty of gear comparable to the minipets or potions or whatnot, actually.
    I don't remember any of that. O_o Then again, I'm obviously confusing the release of Naxx with the release of Wrath, they were both very similiar if not identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I don't remember any of that. O_o Then again, I'm obviously confusing the release of Naxx with the release of Wrath, they were both very similiar if not identical.
    I wasn't around for Naxx release, but I recall the argent banner and argent tabard. The banner did a weak consecrate and the tabard summoned a paladin for 5 minutes, I think he'd fight for you (like Barov's Peasants) but not well. It was only amusing because at the end of 5 minutes instead of just fading out, he'd Bubble hearth.

I don't want to over-WoW, but given that we're just now approaching 1 year with GW2, we don't know what changes will occur to some of the events. Halloween in WoW is the same each year, with pets and wands o'zappin and stuff. Sometimes they change some elements, but mostly similar. I imagine they may refine some of the Halloween stuff (possibly changing book-backpack acqusition) so maybe it'll give us an idea of what to expect in regards to some of these other events. At this point, who knows.

I remember the bubble-hearthing paladin trinket now! I also recall I did miss out on the Argent Dawn tabard that you could click and it would do a firework effect. Maybe they did have some mementos, but not much of it was noteworthy enough to care and I say that as someone who was somewhat of a dedicated collector in WoW. A lot of that stuff just ended up gathering dust in my bank.

Besides, in WoW we're talking about things that (with the exception of Naxx) only occurred once before expansions every two years or so. GW2 does this every two weeks and they usually try to tie in a lot of nifty things into the gem store and/or achievements to make sure that you don't want to miss it even if you don't care about the story content.

I really hope I didn't permanently miss out on the Halloween recipes from last year. I didn't have the skill to learn them at the time and I forgot to buy them before the end of the event. Not getting the Spicy Pumpkin Cookie(?) especially really sucked.

One of the main reasons my group of friends doesn't play anymore is because of the temporary content. I think it definitely negatively affects the game.
    "I realized it is the struggle itself that is the most important. We must strive to be more than we are. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." -Data

There is some content that I am happy to be temp content and other content that is rather frustrating. Take the temp dungeons, that just makes absolutely no sense to me. A boat load of effort and gove before I could even play them. I know that they are coming back with fractals in the future but I do think that those sorts of things should be added permanently. Almost a way of leaving behind a legacy from the content. It should also be possible to complete all of the metas through other means in the future that are more permanent. A bit like what they did with the queens dailies. If you leave some content behind, you can make it part of a daily from time to time that will add towards a meta.

The issue really is that an MMO is not chess. Once you hit max level, the game still goes. Thus, for most MMO players, "Endgame" has a meaning which is max level content. If someone says "what do you do at endgame", the response is to tell them what you do at max level, not to tell them they are wrong to use the word endgame.
    Like I said - the issue is that you don't believe mmos have endgames. WoW has made their endgames exceedingly clear - and even taken steps to make sure everyone gets to participate (LFR). So I don't really agree. Now sure if you want to redfine the word to be 'stuff you do at max level even if you have won the game.' then sure GW2 has an extensive "endgame." But that definition is not common in WoW. I can go and play at the auction house - but that's just something my character does. It's not actual endgame content.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. Using this line of thinking to define endgame, do you think that completing LFR means endgame in WoW with normal and heroic just being +game mode?
    Absolutetly. And Blizzard is finding out that playing the +game mode is just not that popular - whether its Diablo III or WoW. The thematic 'goal' really matter to players. Part of their mind sees their character as an extension of themselves - as if a little version of them was journeying through the world. So they like good gear - but they like it because it helps their character survive and accomplish his/her goal. So with their goal accomplished there isn't much reason to go on and redo it at the other difficulties.

The idea was laudable - give everyone their own difficulty. But in reality many players choose the easy one and - then are done with it. I generally pick 'normal' in video games - not easy. But I think thats how it is for most players. i loved Deus Ex HR - but not enough to go back and play it on hard or whatever. I have other games to play.

The idea was laudable - give everyone their own difficulty. But in reality many players choose the easy one and - then are done with it.
    That only seems so because doing LFR speeds up progression for "serious" raiders. Additionally The reason "people are done with it" is probably also because they CBA to raid on specific times or don't feel like they belong in a guild, thus they stop after having completed LFR.

You are messing up correlation with causation.

Don't always get to play gw2 so I miss out on alot

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting discussion, got me thinking of another twist with GW2's endgame of temporary content.

Now we got this new dungeon with this patch, Scarlet's Playhouse 1-5 players. It's fairly easy to solo since you have to deal with clockwork minion mechanics but with more players there's more clockworks, it's harder to keep them separated and they quickly start combining to form those big ass silver mobs if you're not careful.

Anyhow I had gone with a group that wanted the Lord Faren timed achievement and they tried to zerg the mobs down which of course resulted in big ass mob, wipe and achievement fail. I suggested we try a more finessed approach, but they insisted it could be zerked. After a few more attempts I bowed out saying they might have less mobs without me ;-)

Anyhow, back to topic. We've got this particular endgame content that can be easily solo'd, harder with a group, combined with the pavilion where we had the easy huge group zerg downstairs and the leet solo content upstairs in the gauntlet. Then there are the invasions which are huge zonewide groups but if you zerg you fail the achievements, you need to break apart and go for the correct objectives and all of this under the pressure of a limited window of time in which it can be done.

Interesting stuff, keeps me logging in that's for sure.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-08-24 at 09:17 AM.
    Valar morghulis

I want the sclerite karka shell backpiece.... Removing item skins is just pure evil.