Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not that far in, played for like 4 hours. Loving the game but one thing i hate is how powers basically make vehicles completely useless, i can't bring myself to drive vehicles anymore when i can jump across have the map etc :/

Vehicles aren't meant to be taken too seriously, that's why there's barely any vehicle upgrades.

And ya you didn't reveal any spoilers YET Kuj lol. You got threw the game so fast though, sheesh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Vehicles aren't meant to be taken too seriously, that's why there's barely any vehicle upgrades.

And ya you didn't reveal any spoilers YET Kuj lol. You got threw the game so fast though, sheesh.
    Yea... I "work" from home. Wont say my productivity hasn't suffered.

And as for vehicles. They are there for fun now rather then as a necessity. As a result, they have put in a lot of wacky cars, planes and other things you can ride around on. And remember, you can "cheat" and turn off super powers. Which I may very well try for a bit after finishing.

Edit -

Finished the game, it's not as long as I thought it would be. I've done everything I can, including all quests and activities, but it says I am only 87% complete. I suspect that the multi-player only activities are counted in towards the 100%.

Ah well, still a very good game and I will no doubt spend some time running around virtual steel port. And of course we have "The Saints Save Xmas" to look forward to.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2013-08-23 at 09:15 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Not that far in, played for like 4 hours. Loving the game but one thing i hate is how powers basically make vehicles completely useless, i can't bring myself to drive vehicles anymore when i can jump across have the map etc :/
    Yeah, I really think the superpowers negatively impact the game. Grenades were more fun and interesting than the blast powers, and why do you need super sprinting and super jumping when you have vehicles?

I kind of miss the crib concept; I would've much preferred they expand on that concept rather than scrap it for the gateway concept. Oh well, SR4 is still well worth the money so far, I'm just not sure it'll end up being better than SR3 in my book.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Yeah, I really think the superpowers negatively impact the game. Grenades were more fun and interesting than the blast powers, and why do you need super sprinting and super jumping when you have vehicles?

I kind of miss the crib concept; I would've much preferred they expand on that concept rather than scrap it for the gateway concept. Oh well, SR4 is still well worth the money so far, I'm just not sure it'll end up being better than SR3 in my book.
    I'd not call it worse then SR:3 but different. It's not trying to be the same game, while maintaining the same feel. And in that I think it's successful. And the inverse of your question is why do you need vehicles when you have super speed & jump? It's all in how you want to play.

I wouldn't be opposed to a game like SR:2 using this game engine, but that's not what they where going for and not what I was expecting.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2013-08-24 at 01:40 AM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I'd not call it worse then SR:3 but different. It's not trying to be the same game, while maintaining the same feel. And in that I think it's successful. And the inverse of your question is why do you need vehicles when you have super speed & jump? It's all in how you want to play.

I wouldn't be opposed to a game like SR:2 using this game engine, but that's not what they where going for and not what I was expecting.
    Why have vehicles at all, then, except as just random scenery and impromptu projectiles? You get superpowers which completely and totally negate the value of every kind of vehicle except perhaps aircraft (I didn't check to see if you could just fly to the top of a tower and capture it) within the first hour or two of play - so why can you "buy" Rim Jobs? Why can you spend money on modifying vehicles? It feels like vehicles are the appendix of SR4 - pointless and no one's really sure what they're there for, anyway.

Making a good game is like making good food - it's not about cramming as much as possible into each portion, but about deciding what you actually want in there, and refining the process until you hit all of the objectives with a minimum of excess material. With how focused SR4 is on jumping and gliding as a means of transportation, the presence of car shops and car collecting just seems unnecessary and largely pointless. It doesn't harm anything by being left in, but by the same token, it could be removed and it wouldn't affect much of anything except maybe the first fifteen minutes of the game.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

they have gone so down hill with saints row it went from gangstar to sci fi and I think its just turnt terrible

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam380 View Post
    they have gone so down hill with saints row it went from gangstar to sci fi and I think its just turnt terrible
    Nah. Considering from where it started, it really improved, from being able to only be a male with no dialog to being able to customize either gender and even choice their voice, and pitch. From being a low-life thug, to president of the united states, seems to have improved to me. I'm enjoying the fuck out of it though, it brings me back to the old spiderman games on the first Xbox. There's alot they could do with the next one though, new planets, unlimited simulations, etc. Ruler of the Galaxy.

Deleted
    for what i seen Great game ever

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Nah. Considering from where it started, it really improved, from being able to only be a male with no dialog to being able to customize either gender and even choice their voice, and pitch. From being a low-life thug, to president of the united states, seems to have improved to me. I'm enjoying the fuck out of it though, it brings me back to the old spiderman games on the first Xbox. There's alot they could do with the next one though, new planets, unlimited simulations, etc. Ruler of the Galaxy.
    they've said saints row 4 is the last game in its current incarnation, maybe they'll make spinoffs or something but i wouldn't count on 5th game.

Edit -

Finished the game, it's not as long as I thought it would be. I've done everything I can, including all quests and activities, but it says I am only 87% complete. I suspect that the multi-player only activities are counted in towards the 100%.
    Gotten all done all. 95%. Did Co-op with a friend and he has 96%. Only difference is that during a SR4 crash, I didn't get a "Silver Medal" for a Tank Mayhem activity. So I redid it with him and got Bronze.
    So I presume you need all activities on GOLD to get 100% completion. We already have 100% hacked though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    they've said saints row 4 is the last game in its current incarnation, maybe they'll make spinoffs or something but i wouldn't count on 5th game.
    A fair amount of interesting DLC in the works however.

And to address the vehicles issue once again, they are in the game because they are fun. Not everything that is fun must be required. I for one plan on trying a play through with super powers disabled.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by adam380 View Post
    Honestly, them stepping away from serious is the best thing they can do. lest they try to compete with GTA 5 which would be suicide.
    Saints row is saints row, gta is gta, and i like it that way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Honestly, them stepping away from serious is the best thing they can do. lest they try to compete with GTA 5 which would be suicide.
    Saints row is saints row, gta is gta, and i like it that way
    Frankly, I never liked GTA. I always feel like the player character is an ugly SOB whom I would under other circumstances root against...

- - - Updated - - -

As I try to find entertainment after clearing the game (running around collecting power nodes and starting fights). The new variety of vehicles is a lot of fun. Small one off vehicles like dune buggies and go-carts, that would in previous games be non-customizable, have more customization options (hoods, spoilers, etc) then many of the cars in SR:3. In addition, without giving anything away I will say that there is a lot of exposition conversation between your homies. Different combinations of them (remember you can have up to three at a time) trigger different chatter about the past and future (as in what to do about the earth being blown up).

-Kujako-

I'm just before the final mission and I've really enjoyed the game so far. Was looking forward to it after playing 3 (haven't played the previous ones though), and even though I've had a blast so far there are a few things that bugged me.

- The ability to fly around made the world seem a lot smaller compared to 3. Driving or walking around the city, it is pretty damn big, but when you can simply leap off tall buildings and glide over half the map in a minute it really feels small.

- It doesn't really feel like a step forward from Saints Row 3, but rather a step sideways if that makes sense. The graphics, outfits, cars, and like 80% of the world is just copy paste from Saints Row 3. It feels more like a really big expansion pack rather than a sequel.

- I miss the Russian female voice haha. The French one is pretty neat but in 3 I went with the Russian so it kind of bummed me out to have to change that this time.

Other than that I really enjoyed it though. All the references to other Games/Movies etc, Zinyak's awesome British accent, Kieth David, etc. All really funny stuff. Really Good game overall.

Sadly this is the end of the great series as we know it and the end of the story for the Playa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Sadly this is the end of the great series as we know it and the end of the story for the Playa.
    Not true! There are six DLC titles in the works. Granted the fist is a throw away remnant of the SR:3 DLC SR:4 grew from, but the others sound interesting. "Saints Save XMAS" and "GAT 4" are intriguing titles.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    20 hours to beat the game, complete all activities, hack all of the stores, and get all of the collectibles except about 200 clusters and a few statues :-/

10+ Year Old Account
    This game is a ridiculous time sink. Its going to be fun when I deploy again. Especially with mods.

My only beef is the random tearing and the orange water. I can't wait for some texture mods.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just finished without doing a single co-op mission and I'm at 95%. My guess is it's the collectibles and you just didn't get as many. I thought the length was good, took me 20 hours. I don't know many single player games now-a-days that last that long. A lot of newer AAA titles last like 10 hours. Maybe because they re-used the city they had more time to focus on the story, which I have no problem with. I think more games should re-use certain aspect of the previous games and just make it better from there with a new story. I don't understand why so many people need every texture to be new and shiny.

Also, without any spoilers, I don't see how the series can end here without another game. Maybe it won't be "saints row V" but there has got to be something planned with an ending like that.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2013-08-26 at 02:50 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.