Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hearthstone on Android

While they say the game will be coming to the mobile space, their website makes no mention of Android while it does for iPad. How long if/when it could arrive on Google Play? This is my most anticipated game

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/faq/#q2a

Last I heard (granted it was around the time the game was announced) they said iPad and computers and that they had no current plans to expand to other platforms.

15+ Year Old Account
    First it will come to PC/Mac and then it will come to iPad.

After that, they said they'd potentially look into making it for the Android platform but currently have no plans on board. Perhaps down the line we'll see it with Android and even on some consoles (Wii U!).

The reason why it says "Mobile Space" is because of the iOS platform, which has a considerable device hold.

The topic has additionally been discussed here already.

Please keep any and all discussion void of platform/operating system bashing and on topic.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-08-25 at 07:25 AM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

It's easier for them to focus on MacOS, Windows and iOS as they are all written with C. Android is a bit different however. And, while I don't subscribe to this idea, it is thought that iOS will bring more profit through an app than on Android.

I'm with you an Android version would make this a full time game for me. But sadly we'll have to wait.

They didn't rule out the possibility for a Windows 8 and Android tablet versions but the ipad version is top priority behind PC. Why idk seeing as how apple market share is slowly dying every day.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    They didn't rule out the possibility for a Windows 8 and Android tablet versions but the ipad version is top priority behind PC. Why idk seeing as how apple market share is slowly dying every day.
    its because ipad users are more inclined to buy things like extra packs, also they all have payment method set up same way. android tablets are varied and google isn't probably good partner in a way apple is (thats not a compliment for apple)

I really hope they do introduce it for Android. I bought a Nexus tablet because they were cheaper and flat out better than the iPad. I really don't see why they wouldn't bring out an Android version because Android controls 62.6% of the tablet market, compared to the 35.2% of iOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

Quote Originally Posted by purefury View Post
    its because ipad users are more inclined to buy things like extra packs, also they all have payment method set up same way. android tablets are varied and google isn't probably good partner in a way apple is (thats not a compliment for apple)
    I have both systems and frankly ... if I had to buy again, I would completely ignore the Android side of things. I was NEVER an Apple freak, but the difference between an iOS and an Android device is enormous.

You can go into thousands of pages of discussions about this, but the fact Android runs on a zillion different systems/hardware and is a joke in protection, distribution and back office, I quite understand why the vast majority of software houses prefer to develop for iPads.

Besides Androids are mostly used in the smart phone market, these devices (like iPhones) are not even suited to play HS.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    While they say the game will be coming to the mobile space, their website makes no mention of Android while it does for iPad. How long if/when it could arrive on Google Play? This is my most anticipated game

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/faq/#q2a
    The reason for Android not being listed is because there is a massive range of different phones and hardware that use the OS whereas iOS is only used by iPod, iPad and iPhone.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Millennía View Post
    I really hope they do introduce it for Android. I bought a Nexus tablet because they were cheaper and flat out better than the iPad. I really don't see why they wouldn't bring out an Android version because Android controls 62.6% of the tablet market, compared to the 35.2% of iOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems
    The reasons are very clear, and I say this as someone who develops mobile software full-time and runs a business on it. I also follow the market trends on it very closely. If it was such a clear-cut advantage to support Android, more vendors would be doing it.

Although Android dwarfs iOS in terms of actual device units, the vast majority are cheap, unbranded white-box devices sold in developing countries used either as feature phone replacements or without data plans. That's the part that doesn't get widely publicized when Android numbers get posted. Most are running ancient versions of Android and never upgraded by their manufacturers. In spite of having many more units produced, Android still gets beaten by iOS in terms of web usage and app sales. Add to that a much higher piracy rate, a platform that gets tweaked with mods by many users, and hardware specs all over the map, and it's pretty clear why many mobile software developers still don't support Android: it is a testing nightmare. It's not so bad for simple apps, but once you start doing complex animations and effects it is a bear to make it work reliably.

If Android ever does get supported -- and it probably will eventually -- you can bet it will be limited to a specific set of devices.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

keep in mind that hearthstone's team is very small, blizz is inexperienced at the mobile games market and it's way harder to create games for android than for iOS, not to mention they turn out to be less profitable there.

so don't expect to see hearthstone on android any time soon.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Porting a iOS game to Android is not hard, if they target the 4.X+ Android devices. Abit more complicated if they want to target Android 2.x market aswell, but since 2.x marketshare is dieing R.I.P. , Blizzard could easily do it unless Tim Cook delivers a big check for exclusivity like they being doing with some greedy developers.

Nevertheless HS is already playable(and when I mean playable I mean full HS experience) on Android or even any apple device for that mater using the magic of Splashtop, the inconvenient is that you need a PC on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykchyk6Y22E

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Porting a iOS game to Android is not hard, if they target the 4.X+ Android devices.
    And then they lose the numerical superiority, by far. And get all the complaints of the non 4.X users. Not to mention the wide ranging performance even on 4.x devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Blizzard could easily do it unless Tim Cook delivers a big check for exclusivity like they being doing with some greedy developers.
    Care to cite some evidence on this? I've never heard of Apple cutting a check to *any* developer for exclusivity. Sounds like a whiny conspiracy theory and excuse-making.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    First it will come to PC/Mac and then it will come to iPad.

After that, they said they'd potentially look into making it for the Android platform but currently have no plans on board. Perhaps down the line we'll see it with Android and even on some consoles (Wii U!).

The reason why it says "Mobile Space" is because of the iOS platform, which has a considerable device hold.

The topic has additionally been discussed here already.

Please keep any and all discussion void of platform/operating system bashing and on topic.
    playing hearthstone on the wiiu would be so awesome
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    And then they lose the numerical superiority, by far. And get all the complaints of the non 4.X users. Not to mention the wide ranging performance even on 4.x devices.
    >99% of the Android tablets run Android 4.x - Honeycomb has died out and there are no Gingerbread tablets in the Western market.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    Care to cite some evidence on this? I've never heard of Apple cutting a check to *any* developer for exclusivity. Sounds like a whiny conspiracy theory and excuse-making.
    Apple will not feature your game if you release it on Android first. That's pretty much the same.

Also, you can develop for Android using C/C++.
    Last edited by mmoc879425f8a0; 2013-09-04 at 08:41 PM.

Anyone have a surface try and run it? I am curious if the client / launcher will work on a Windows Surface tablet.

Hearthstone is coming to android baby! Now I can play from work, awwwwww yeaaahh!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a heads-up; everything prior to the post above me (#17) was MUCH earlier, months ago. Blizzcon literally JUST revealed that Hearthstone will be coming to Android, so please don't start jumping on stuff people said months ago which was, at the time, correct as far as anyone knew.

I'm not going to do anything about the necro, because it's a valid bump to the topic, but everyone should be aware of the date shift.

Deleted
    As rock would say: FIIIINALLLLLY.
    Boring college classes will become less boring'ish.

They still look a long way off. 2H'14 I think they said. In Blizz-speak, that means 2Q'15..