Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Geez, folks, they didn't say when that work began in earnest, and at what rate it's coming along ...

Maybe it crept from 0 to 5% from MoP launch through t14, and jumped from 5% to 25% in t15. That could mean about half the races ready for TDB launch, with the rest coming by its final tier.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    What's funny is how upset you get at someone who obviously enjoys the game. Character models are cool but the outrage over the delay is hysterical.
    I almost never QQ and spend most of my time here arguing with complainers, and even I think they're taking forever with the models :P

Quote Originally Posted by Evyan View Post
    Also, what I just can't understand is... WHY NOT MAKE NEW MODELS AN OPTION? :/....
    I suspect the answer is because they'd have to support two versions of every model with new animations and improvements etc whenever they add anything new like they had to do with Monks. And also it's kind of weird.

But who knows, I don't think they've said anything about whether it'll be optional or not. Maybe they haven't even decided yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

This is why they hardly ever give numbers. Goodness.

Considering I run the game at low on almost everything anyway, I'm not terribly excited. But I suspect when I get a fancy new computer, I'll be ogling my new toon model and salivating.

Quote Originally Posted by Amywinehouse View Post
    Considering I run the game at low on almost everything anyway, I'm not terribly excited. But I suspect when I get a fancy new computer, I'll be ogling my new toon model and salivating.
    You'll be salivating at your character models in other games; if the new character models in WoW are going to be on par with the Pandaren, you'll probably be happy at the improvements but Pandaren quality isn't exactly something that will blow your mind on a quality desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Evyan View Post
    Shouldn't they have tried it out by now already? They have been working on them for 1,5years now, or so they say...
    I hadn't really thought about it, but yeah. If they are going to release them in stages, and don't know how people will react they probably should release what they have sooner rather than later. Dwarves have few enough players as well, so just releasing them and seeing what happens would probably be the best way to go.

So why wouldn't they do it I wonder.

Deleted
    I'm wondering why people are saying "How often do you look at your character from the front side anyway". You know like 90% of the world npcs will be updated with this revamp too and will look much better. It's going to affect the questing and the whole gaming experience a lot.

I think the main problem is just how hyped Blizzard has let this has all become. If I remember correctly, (and I may be completely wrong), they originally made passing comments about updating the models in early Cataclysm. Ever since then, it's become a sort of mystery topic, where people discuss it over and over, despite the lack of any real evidence as to their progress. Every once in a while, we get some employee from Blizzard, whether it be Ghostcrawler himself or an art team member, telling us that they're "a priority", and that "progress is being made".

However, ever since the initial buzz started about 1.5 years ago, we've been shown nothing that actually pertains to these new models. At first, we just compared them to Jaina, Varian, and eventually Thrall and Garrosh; since they were higher res models over the same basic skeletons. More and more high res models started popping up, like Tyrande and Illidan in 4.3, and a lot of people wondered if the updated models would be similar to these.

And then we got Pandaren, and it became painfully clear just how outdated the Vanilla models are. Then we got Vol'jin, and just recently, another new Garrosh. The Garrosh model is especially impressive, as it seems to have actual rigging in the face, allowing him to be as expressive as the Pandaren.

What does all this have to do with anything? I'll sum it up in six words: "We have no clue what's happening". We heard the dwarves were nearly done, but all we could do was take their word for it. I'm not saying Blizzard would necessarily lie to us, but the fact remains that the only insight we have is the little bits of info that we're told. How high quality were the dwarves looking? Were they up to date with the "Tyrande and Illidan" style, or are they up to date on the level of the Pandaren? Did they get scrapped after Pandaren were completed, as they didn't live up to the new standard? No one knows.

TL;DR - 1.5 years without any sort of visual "work in progress" update makes people suspicious and cranky. You can only get so far with "Oh yeah, they're looking great! Trust me!" without any pictures or videos to back it up. Everyone's individual expectations have been built up beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I suspect the answer is because they'd have to support two versions of every model with new animations and improvements etc whenever they add anything new like they had to do with Monks. And also it's kind of weird.

But who knows, I don't think they've said anything about whether it'll be optional or not. Maybe they haven't even decided yet.
    Most likely. I wonder how much balls they will show with the new models or if they end up with just better textures and a few facial features. I actually hoped they would update all the models to a level where they can display armor with more than a lame ass texture for chest and pants and actually arrive somewhere after the year 2000 and make them actual models. But I doubt they will go that far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsius View Post
    Obvously you're pretty clueless about the development of theese things. You could read up on character design, 3dmodelling, uv-mapping, texturing, rigging and animation. Then you can come back with a more insightful comment.

This is largely dependant on how many artists they have on the models and if they are generalists or specialized in any of the diciplines mentioned above.
    acti blizzard has enormous profit. Where is going the money ? They COULD pay a lot of artists to do it, but I guess the money is for shareholders and not for the game

Deleted
    Why is this a backburner project like many people in this thread claimed? I mean if I were the CEO of Blizz I would treat the whole race updating pretty high because let´s be honest who likes to play as a misshaped Human model from 2004, or terribly hunched orcs? With these old models you don´t attract a lot of new players because although WoW is still a great game no one of the younger generation wants to play with lame looking races. At least thats what I would do as a guy that never played WoW.

Anyway I think that Blizz could actually hire a few devs or move a few from other projects to this race stuff because it is pretty important to get the whole race stuff from 2004 to 2013 in terms of looks, animations and so on. The new Garrosh model looks so stunning with the facial expressions, the moving fingers yet your Ork looks like shit but what do you expect of a game that is still running the same 10 year old engine?

Deleted
    There are far too many ppl in this thread that don't know shit about the amount of work that is required to make this work.

Also, for a new expansion, they only have to focus on making 2 new models + animations per race (even more for monks in mop). They are, if I've understood this correctly, going to redesign ALL of the 10 races, including Draenei and Blood Elves. That is a serious amount of work and blizz is a company that rather reworks it over and over again to make sure it's as close to perfect it can be, even though it might not always turn out to be that well.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by D-angeL View Post
    Did they say they don’t add further character customization? Like different body shapes? Maybe a thin one, medium and muscled?

Or even a completely new system like other MMOs with individual customization?

Should be possible for facial features as it takes only minimal effect on gear. As for scaling gear I think some set body shapes would be easier but I have no clue of programming.
    No, they never said this. In fact, I'm pretty sure they said this would be next to impossible since it would randomize the entire system for their NPCs and they would have to go through for every single NPC in the entire world and set them individually.

15+ Year Old Account
    So I skimmed through ~20 pages of this, and the rage is kinda funny to me.
    It was always a side project, and as mention before, bits of real progress we're dropped during MoP press tour. Meaning we have no idea how many times this side project was swept under the rug to focus on more important things, for all we know they might have scraped everything and done those 25% in 2 months or something. I don't believe they will take that much longer, new models would breathe some new life in the game. And there some potential competition is coming. So new models are much needed. And it's not an easy undertaking, unlike making pretty textures and putting them on druid forms. New rigs / textures / animations, while preserving the old feel of the race is pretty fucking hard. I think they did awesome job with Garrosh, and response was fairly positive, meaning that they might bumb those models up in priority list.
    Also since they slashed big part of development team from titan, they might just put a team of artists to work on those models full time.

They'll be ready just in time for 8.0 and f2p

I think new models are useless without a new advanced character creation screen, what percentage is that ready?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleT View Post
    blizz is a company that rather reworks it over and over again to make sure it's as close to perfect it can be, even though it might not always turn out to be that well.
    That bullshit and a silly myth. There are tons of examples of crap content in this game. And several million people would tell you all of D3 is a piece of shit. So what does "perfect" actually mean?
    Last edited by Mosotti; 2013-08-28 at 01:25 PM.

So let's say they're only talking about the models prior to the Goblins, Worgen, and Pandaren. So that's 10 character models. If 20-25% of those are done, it's 2-2.5 races of those 10 are already finished. That's a lot of progress for a typically glacial company like Blizzard.

Is it as far along as I'd hoped? Hell no. Is it better than I honestly expected from Blizzard? Hell yes.

Maybe they'll dump the Titan team on the models and we'll have them sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    WoW would be a great game if it weren't an MMO.

I'm sure there a better things to use resources on instead of stupid character models... like better tier models

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    I'm sure there a better things to use resources on instead of stupid character models... like better tier models
    I don't really care about how tier looks now anyway, since we have transmog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    Why is this a backburner project like many people in this thread claimed? I mean if I were the CEO of Blizz I would treat the whole race updating pretty high because let´s be honest who likes to play as a misshaped Human model from 2004, or terribly hunched orcs? With these old models you don´t attract a lot of new players because although WoW is still a great game no one of the younger generation wants to play with lame looking races. At least thats what I would do as a guy that never played WoW.

Anyway I think that Blizz could actually hire a few devs or move a few from other projects to this race stuff because it is pretty important to get the whole race stuff from 2004 to 2013 in terms of looks, animations and so on. The new Garrosh model looks so stunning with the facial expressions, the moving fingers yet your Ork looks like shit but what do you expect of a game that is still running the same 10 year old engine?
    New race models doesn't actually add anything to the gameplay of the game. Would it be neat and generate some interest? Sure. But the game is not hurting for interest. 8 million, even 3 million subscribers is still far above other sub-based mmo's.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Let's be reasonable guys. They have to put their artists to work on those excellent new tier sets and a bunch of pets and mounts and let's not forget the transmoggable armour and weapons they're no doubt working on for their store.

20-25% is a laughable figure when you put what they've said in the past into perspective. It's no wonder people aren't sure whether they're genuine or joking about it.
    Last edited by mmoc9951aecc27; 2013-08-28 at 10:10 PM.