Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Because animals aren't designed to sit in for long periods of time.
    It has nothing to do with chairs vs other sitting objects.
    You're completely right about humans not being meant to sit for long periods of time. *Wonders how people now would fair back in the 1800's*

Also, there is no healthy..if you will..sitting instrument. We haven't been able to come up with a way to keep our spine in the correct position while still sitting down.

Can't agree with OP more. I break up my long WoW binges during the day with a couple of sets of archery weather permitting. At night I just get up a lot and walk around... stretch...

My boyfriend is a massage therapist and we give each other back massages pretty routinely, even if it's just for a few minutes. Sometimes in the morning, often at night, in the middle of gaming, etc, etc... it's pretty wonderful, but yeah, you gotta get up and break that sitting cycle. It's really dangerous.

A friend of mine games while standing up... I generally sit "Indian style" in my chair while gaming, and focus on keeping a good posture. It helps my archery as well. It takes A LOT of mental power though because most of us have built up habits of being hunched over, leaning our shoulders "inward" to horrible effects... It's unattractive too!

Gotta break dat cycle!
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

so sitting indian style is ok? and how do the asians do it

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't even sit the supposed "proper" way for long really, not comfortable. Most often I'm sitting scrunched up in ways that I'm pretty much hugging one or both knees, and a few other "non proper" positions (ok that sounded wrong). Practically chair yoga. lol
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-08-29 at 03:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by speakpkhq View Post
    I think with their knees to their chin. I don't really know, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevvy88 View Post
    Can't agree with OP more. I break up my long WoW binges during the day with a couple of sets of archery weather permitting. At night I just get up a lot and walk around... stretch...

My boyfriend is a massage therapist and we give each other back massages pretty routinely, even if it's just for a few minutes. Sometimes in the morning, often at night, in the middle of gaming, etc, etc... it's pretty wonderful, but yeah, you gotta get up and break that sitting cycle. It's really dangerous.

A friend of mine games while standing up... I generally sit "Indian style" in my chair while gaming, and focus on keeping a good posture. It helps my archery as well. It takes A LOT of mental power though because most of us have built up habits of being hunched over, leaning our shoulders "inward" to horrible effects... It's unattractive too!

Gotta break dat cycle!
    I think it's less attractive to look like a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevvy88 View Post

Gotta break dat cycle!
    So true! Awesome that you're an archer too..can I safely assume you have a hunter toon Massage/Chiropractor therapy is some of the best forms out there for your body. I'm a physical therapy major..I see patients that have phantom back pain all too often, and have no idea that sitting in a chair all day is what caused it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    I think it's less attractive to look like a robot.
    Who said anything about looking like a robot? Good posture is "robotic" to you? I think you're incorrectly equating being stiff and rigid with having a good stance and posture... the two are not linked at all, if anything, having good posture, and finding the most natural and healthy way to hold your body RELIEVES tension and stiffness... hence... the entire theory behind bodywork and massage... and archery
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

Quote Originally Posted by speakpkhq View Post
    I don't think I have the post limit yet to post links so I'd just tell you to search "Indian Style sitting" and or "Truths about sitting in chairs". You'll find tons of useful information about how detrimental sitting in a chair for long extended periods of time really is for your body now and in the future.

The reason chairs are so bad for your lower back is because they say it gives you "Back support" when it reality it takes the job of what your lower back should be doing and supplements it with a "prop-up" style.

Sitting cross-legged (indian style) is meant to activate your whole core and back to stabilize your spine. When I first realized this (years ago in high school) I tried sitting indian style for just 5 minutes with my back straight and it was absolutely exhausting. It made me realize the muscles in my obliques (sides of your abs) and my lower back were incredible weak and under-developed because of leaning back in a chair for my whole virtual life.

It's never too late to change your sitting habbit though.
    Last edited by TheWorkingTitle; 2013-08-29 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Heheh

Occulus Rift is a new device being developed that offers 3D display through a wearable headset. Response so far has been extremely positive, though you'll need to google for all the technical details on the method it uses for displaying 3D, though I know it's a separate display for each eye to give it the impression. Turn your head left, you look left in game.

The Omni is an omni-directional treadmill which means you walk = your character walks in game. You turn = character turns in game.

Omni is kinda loud, though.
    Combine that with the Razer Hydra!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, working fifteen hour days- most of which is hard labor with eight hours being outdoors where I interact with poisonous snakes, alligators and flesh eating bacteria; while another six are spent in partly-constructed buildings where I am often in attics, hunched over doing all sorts of awkward climbing moves that would make a contortionists' jaw drop while I breathe in insulation and drywall dust; I'd have to say that my one to two hours of gaming a day is a rather miniscule threat.

Also, I'm so tired. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Joathen View Post
    Well, working fifteen hour days- most of which is hard labor with eight hours being outdoors where I interact with poisonous snakes, alligators and flesh eating bacteria; while another six are spent in partly-constructed buildings where I am often in attics, hunched over doing all sorts of awkward climbing moves that would make a contortionists' jaw drop while I breathe in insulation and drywall dust; I'd have to say that my one to two hours of gaming a day is a rather miniscule threat.

Also, I'm so tired. :/
    A chiropractor and or message therapist would be your go-to place if you had/have back/muscle problems which I assume a steady diet of that every day would cause!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    I can't even sit the supposed "proper" way for long really, not comfortable. Most often I'm sitting scrunched up in ways that I'm pretty much hugging one or both knees, and a few other "non proper" positions (ok that sounded wrong). Practically chair yoga. lol
    The word is improper.

Quote Originally Posted by Morros View Post
    Combine that with the Razer Hydra!
    Looks to me like a possible future of gaming. I could see a nerdy athlete who would be incredible at something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    My back and knees are already fucked so fuck it lol. Serve Osgood–Schlatter disease in my knees and a slipped disc in my back.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-08-29 at 04:02 AM.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    My back and knees are already fucked so fuck it lol. Serve Osgood–Schlatter disease in my knees and a slipped disc in my back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood%...latter_disease

I am the 10% who didn't have it go away when they stopped growing.

Everyone has some type of diversity. Does you no good giving up though! Osgood-schlatters is supposed to go away with rest. You can also use those compression bands that alleviate the pain of bending.

I have pretty severe Scoliosis and my back feels 100x better after sitting for 2-3 hours than it does after standing/walking for 2-3 hours. So I'll stick to sitting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Everyone has some type of diversity. Does you no good giving up though! Osgood-schlatters is supposed to go away with rest. You can also use those compression bands that alleviate the pain of bending.
    Woah. I haven't given up. In fact i excise alot now days. But at playing a computer i sure am hell sitting down on a chair. It was suppose to go away but in rare cases it doesn't. Which is mine. It hurts like hell alot but that doesn't stop me doing stuff. As for my back. I hurt it moving something and couldn't move for a month. But now it just hurts but movement is fine.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Woah. I haven't given up. In fact i excise alot now days. But at playing a computer i sure am hell sitting down on a chair. It was suppose to go away but in rare cases it doesn't. Which is mine. It hurts like hell alot but that doesn't stop me doing stuff. As for my back. I hurt it moving something and couldn't move for a month. But now it just hurts but movement is fine.
    I never intended to imply giving up about anything more than you saying "f it" about what you replied to my post about. Glad you're fighting the good fight. I can sympathize with the osgoods..I've still got it on my left knee albeit it's pretty minor now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    I have pretty severe Scoliosis and my back feels 100x better after sitting for 2-3 hours than it does after standing/walking for 2-3 hours. So I'll stick to sitting
    I'd say you're a minority and or exception to this

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    You must be different than everyone else in the world.
    what makes you say so?