Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been able to solo/pet tank extremely hard things just fine, including warbringers. The trick is to use things like Mend Pet whenever the Warbringer is casting/doing anything besides beating on your pet. They hit hard for sure, but they're completely doable.

Having said that, we're getting a glyph in 5.4 which pretty much doubles the healing of Mend Pet, so we'll be in even better shape for soloing.

Hmm. I changed two things and was able to solo one easily.

- Removed Mend & Animal Bond glyphs and reapplied them.
    - Respec turtle pet as ferocity, then back to tenacity.

This baffles my mind and I don't understand what just happened. Anyone experiencing tenacity pets getting destroyed try the above... The thing was doing almost no damage, and I could of probably even healed through vengeful spirit damage but kited them instead.

EDIT: Didn't even use Spirit Bond and it was still a joke. My pet was definitely bugged out. I suspect other people having issues may be having the same problem.
    Last edited by tyrindor; 2013-08-30 at 01:59 PM.

This should help some in 5.4

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=42900#created-by-spell

Not to mention spirit bond is getting buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post

This baffles my mind and I don't understand what just happened. Anyone experiencing tenacity pets getting destroyed try the above... The thing was doing almost no damage, and I could of probably even healed through vengeful spirit damage but kited them instead.

EDIT: Didn't even use Spirit Bond and it was still a joke. My pet was definitely bugged out. I suspect other people having issues may be having the same problem.
    I was going to say, I've easily tanked a warbringer with two warscouts. My turtle pet had no problems at all. I kind of got bored doing it though after getting all the mounts.

On the Isle of Giants, I can easily tank all the dinos except the T-Rex, I found it wasn't worth the time to bother with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    for the Isle of Giants i found i got more bones per hour killing the direhorns on the beach - I would kill all the small ones around the bigger ones, then kill the 2 bigger ones - Repeat

Small Direhorns - 9-12 Bones
    Large Direhorns - 19 - 22 Bones

That's interesting. Makes me worried about the integrity of pets in general... though I've never noticed it personally. What if that random ferocity pet I pull out of the stable one day doesn't correctly have it's spec bonuses applied? -_-

Anyway, I apologize for being a little harsh, but I'm sure you can understand now my confusion as to why you couldn't pet tank them. My only conclusion to draw was that you were doing something wrong...
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Edit: I know OP is talking about BM; but Isle of Giant is one place where BM is horribly lacking in efficiency. Having to run around with the Dino slowed chasing you; while your pet does the damage is to slow; and brings the danger of running into more mobs or being a prime target for PvP Gankers. Going SV and bouncing the mob between you and the pet gives you 98% uptime on full DPS. If only both Mend and Distracting where off the GCD .

Almost all the Dinos can be solo'd without any issue without even the need to kite; Just takes some practice at Micro Managing.
    Edit: As others have mentioned/been mentioning; I also only hunt Direhorns. Stopped with Dinomancers after I got the quest book, and the 10 full sets(4) of companions it took to find the book..............

Using a Turtle - Tank Spec with the Mending Glyph for 60% extra Healing.
    Spec into SV; pet damage is almost irrelevant; pet is just there to take the damage.
    Glyph of MD; (The one that resets when used on Pets) - If you don't want to micro manage MD, you can bind it to your attacks since its off the GCD.
    Tier 3 Talent - Spirit Bond for Extra passive Healing; (Exhilaration CD is to long to be effective; Iron Hawk worthless to pet).
    Tier 6 Talent - Passive snare.

Zone:

Micro Managing Part:
    -Always have your pet on Passive (I use mouse wheel Up for Attack; mouse wheel down for passive)
    -With Pet Command; Make him stay ontop of one of the hills. Since you're telling him to 'STAY' in that spot; when you command it to passive he'll always go back to that spot.
    -Mend Works up to 100yrds; but your attacks only to 40. Your first pull will let you know what your supposed to stand.. 40yrds is the distance you want between you and pet.

-Combat : Start with MD; Concussive Shot; normal DPS rotation.
    -Mob will slowly walk to pet; re-apply Concussive Shot if it falls before he reaches pet (Extra Time gained of 'less Micro Managing')
    -Your Turtle has 3 CDs : Shield Wall 50%; and Cower(40% less Damage taken); Last Stand(30% more HP). Save Last Stand( you won't need to use it; till you get comfortable and start chain pulling mobs)
    -Roll Pet CDs try not to stack them.
    -Always keep Mend Pet up (This is the MOST important part; believe it or not; it falling off for a few seconds can cause your pet to die. I setup a nice WeakAuras to I'd never forget)
    -When your pet Shield Wall/Cower are on CD and pet is starting to get low on HP. Use Distracting Shot followed by Concussive Shot. Mob will Slowly start making his way to you. By the time it gets close to you Distracting Shot will fade and he'll slowly walk back to your pet. While all this is happening; he is doing no damage to you nor your pet which is healing back up, but he is still taking massive damage from you.

-Once you get used to it, you'll be able to start Chain pulling. When the Mob is at 50%, reapply full DoTs, run to the next mob and MD/Concussive Shot to pet. When he reaches your pet have it start attacking the new mob(gain aggro) while you finish off the first one.
    Last edited by Drairon; 2013-08-30 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    for the Isle of Giants i found i got more bones per hour killing the direhorns on the beach - I would kill all the small ones around the bigger ones, then kill the 2 bigger ones - Repeat

Small Direhorns - 9-12 Bones
    Large Direhorns - 19 - 22 Bones
    I do the same mostly because per time spent killing, it's a much higher yield. I'm at 542 ilvl so the smaller ones go down really fast but the larger T-Rex's still take longer than I want to.

Deleted

I tried that too, and just solo:ed a Warbringer. Start to wonder if there might not be some bug going on the pets? Or just me that was bad lol. But good to be proven wrong in this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any Tenacity pet with Mending will be able to tank a Warbringer. Just make sure you manage your Cower correctly, and whenever the Warbringer casts something use Masters Call (or just put him on passive) to gain some ground.

As for the Dinos, just go Marks and kite them all day long. Alternatively, you can go Survival but that often takes longer as you spend far more GCDs on Concussive Shot to slow them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaws-Mike View Post
    I tried that too, and just solo:ed a Warbringer. Start to wonder if there might not be some bug going on the pets? Or just me that was bad lol. But good to be proven wrong in this.
    I've used the same turtle to tank on H Animus for 8 or so kills and healers had no problems keeping it alive. I honestly feel like whatever this bug is, it's only affected by Warbringer damage... or it's not happening inside instances.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used the same turtle to tank on H Animus for 8 or so kills and healers had no problems keeping it alive. I honestly feel like whatever this bug is, it's only affected by Warbringer damage... or it's not happening inside instances.
    I think you are correct, iv never had to change anything except for said warbringers. Raids, solo instances, rares are all fine.

After resetting the glyph. i did manage to kill a warbringer. damn, should have tried that never thought of that. glad i came across this tread ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    The devilsaurs, both small and large (not that it matters for the large because they hit so hard that the debuff never comes into play) apply a stacking debuff that reduces armor. You should have little issue killing one of the small ones, but if you try a second one and allow it to refresh the debuff and increase the stack, your pet will start taking a lot of damage and probably die. However they are very easy to kite, because they are slowable. Pretty much all of my IoG soloing was done as MM or SV. Kiting small devilsaurs, and pterodactyls, while using the cave + distracting shot glyph trick on the large devilsaurs, which I mentioned earlier.
    I dunno they two shot my tank pet... : / Hell my husband went out there with me and he is a decent tank(gearwise, ability wise pretty good) and he was having some issues.. this was a while ago when the island first came out perhaps they were fixed or something.

I used to solo warbringers and big direhorns on both my hunter and warlock. Warlock is smoother and safer by a country mile.

As a hunter I have to keep track of mend pet uptime, pet hp and threat while spamming MD, which can get messy with the warbringer spirits.

On my warlock I have to do absolutely nothing, just tank and spank a full dps rotation till the mob drops dead. No gates or other tricks are necessary to smoothly kill any warbringer or big direhorn. If my hp drops if I unintentionally pull things or something, I can just ember tap and win anyway.

Right now what happens is Soul Link greatly reduces the actual damage the voildwalker takes damaging the warlock instead, Soul Leech stacks on both the warlock and pet which has great synergy with Soul Link obviously. What really makes the voidlords such beasts though is Shadow Shield which stays at permanent 3 stacks because the Soul Leech shield never breaks on the voidwalker. So basically the voidwalker is a tank pet that takes permanently 60% reduced damage on top of sharing an HP pool with the warlock making passive self healing more than enough.

In 5.4 it will be nerfed to the ground though, and hunters will be much much better at soloing these kinda mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladzins View Post
    While kiting warbringer 24/7?
    I am 540 geared and pet dies in 5-10sec - tank speced + glyph of the mending + spirit bond.
    I can kill them with no problems as well - while kiting.

But NOT like warlocks or tanks - just stand still and tunnel warbringer.
    Hunters are weak as solo class MoP - tanks/locks can solo far more.
    this is a lie.

all you need is a tank spec pet with mend pet glyph.

you still gota do mechanics. this mean if the spirit spanw YOU NEED TO MOVE YOUR PET.

OP is right about big trex, is the only one i cant deal with either.

Deleted
    Yea, and as Littlepinch said, it have never been problem otherwise, except the warbringers. Guess its something up with them really, but good to learn something today at least!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    you still gota do mechanics. this mean if the spirit spanw YOU NEED TO MOVE YOUR PET.
    Instead of moving your pet, throw an arcane shot to the spirit to get aggro.

I use a spirit pet with spirit bond, glyph of animal bond, glyph of mend pet and misdirection glyph. Growl off and pet on passive. You have to do 3 things:
    -every 10s or so use mend pet but it is not really necessary, just to be safe
    -aggro the spirit as soon as it spawns, an arcane shot is enough
    -misdirect to your pet when you reach 80% of threat

If your pet dies, use deterrence and revive him right away. If you get aggro, feign death + misdirection.

I had no problem tanking the warbringers with my turtle and glyph of mending. The key is just to keep it away from that spirit, that needs to be kited by you, it will kill anything in a few hits.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Glad to hear you guys found the likely problem and had some success already! Not so glad to hear there might be a bug with some pet spec bonuses and/or talents...