Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Warcraft: Not looking forward to Stale holiday events.

I was doing my daily MMO champion WoW news crawl when I came across this quote for the Warcraft holiday events.

There are no major changes coming to holiday events, just the usual yearly updates. Almost all of the events have been updated in the past and are in a good place now. Time would be better spent adding new content to the game rather than changing up Hallows End yet again.
    In my opinion I feel this is a bad call, I look forward to Warcraft holiday events hoping something new and improved to see, do, or get. However time and time again I'm disappointed with the same tired quest lines and maybe a new toy added to the temporary content.

There's reason we humans look forward to our favorite holidays, if for our birthdays we only get the same gifts every year the day would get very stale and lose its excitement because we know what to expect every year (Oh! Gee, thanks it's the same thing you got me last year) I personally look forward to my favorite holidays because I expect to get, do, see something different every year.

Maybe because I've been play Warcraft for about 7 years, now I do not look forward to these events and kind of dread them, I would personally fall over if I saw something different for the upcoming holidays such as Hollow's end though Winter vile. Moreover not doing so makes the game feel static for Vet players like myself between patches, not having at least a change to the major yearly events makes them feel disjointed from the content and robotic....If you like yearly parade events, how many of you would go if the floats where the same?

Better not to do them at all I say.
    Last edited by ognomad; 2013-09-01 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Mistype

I feel like the holidays are fine as is. I prefer them focusing on the next expansion rather than adding holiday content.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I feel like the holidays are fine as is. I prefer them focusing on the next expansion rather than adding holiday content.
    I'd prefer them to have a dev team bigger than the crew of a Starbucks in a stripmall.

I agree, being that I have every holiday event complete and have done for years, I honestly don't even bother with them anymore or even realise most of the time they are even happening. I used to love the wow holiday events, and would love it if they could update them every year, but I also see their point about new content, (though updating the holiday events kinda counts as new content imo) .

Maybe they will insert a new holiday at some point, or better yet, maybe they will give us a really awesome pre expansion event again similar to pre WOTLK event. God I loved those zombies

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I'd prefer them to have a dev team bigger than the crew of a Starbucks in a stripmall.
    No matter. They will always have finite dev time to put toward new content. I just don't think new holiday content is a top priority right now.

I feel that the children's week could use a boss, and the ability to adopt the kids instead of taking their pets.

otherwise, the holidays are fine.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're adding a mount to winter veil, I believe.

Anyway... they haven't really had a "history" of updating the Holiday events. They majorly overhauled Love is in the Air and Nobelgarden back in WotLK, and that was pretty much it. They haven't even really added in any new achievements, either, beyond the elders/bonfires/etc to coincide with new zones.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    its a shame, would be cool to have some newer events every few years, just something fun at christmas

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I agree, being that I have every holiday event complete and have done for years, I honestly don't even bother with them anymore or even realise most of the time they are even happening. I used to love the wow holiday events, and would love it if they could update them every year, but I also see their point about new content, (though updating the holiday events kinda counts as new content imo) .

Maybe they will insert a new holiday at some point, or better yet, maybe they will give us a really awesome pre expansion event again similar to pre WOTLK event. God I loved those zombies
    same here :| did them all so long ago, not much has changed, still just a few quests and maybe a boss.

there just needs to be more in game events, even if the rewards are just cosmetics
    dragonmaw - EU

Yeah, the holiday-events are bland as all hell anymore. It's really discouraging Blizzard doesn't value them, especially given that they're about to ship what is supposedly the last content-update, and don't even have another expansion bloody announced.

I'm still upset they didnt see fit to reuse the Olympics World event for the last summer olympics.

Its not like people expect all-new dungeons or art or anything either... just a couple dailies and some silly 'story'.

I'd probably ignore a new world event just like the old ones, but at least I'd get the feeling that there was something new out there *if* I wanted to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Yeah, the holiday-events are bland as all hell anymore. It's really discouraging Blizzard doesn't value them, especially given that they're about to ship what is supposedly the last content-update, and don't even have another expansion bloody announced.
    Cause it's not Blizzcon yet and honestly. It's sad that the Holiday events aren't updated

They have more then that so that off hand comment is incorrect. They also got a lot more devs added and more soon. With that said, honestly, I think they should add it when they have time again when they have time to do it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm great with letting them languish, with the appropriate ilevel bumps for alt stuff.

Having done all the stuff with them already (mostly speaking of achievements) I'm VERY glad I don't have to bother with them now....like others, I would much rather have the devs working on other stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do think they're really boring at this point. I don't want Blizzard to stop working on something else to update them though.

So, conflicted I guess.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    This, Holiday content is temporary (annual) I would rather have them spend lots more time on content rather than focusing on holidays that only last a week to a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I'm not sure where i read it, but i think they said their team has grown by 40% and their looking to make it even bigger soon. not sure though

Quote Originally Posted by ognomad View Post
    So because YOU are bored with them, you don't think anyone else should have them? Childrens week still has a few rewards for me (cause I missed this years). I know people who haven't been playing very long to whom they still still be new. I can understand and sympathize with your position, but that's no reason to take the holidays out.

They are mostly getting stale for me too, just the odd and end I personally need and a few things I can sell to others. However, I agree with that statement. They're in a nice place right now, they're looking good, fun when new, and have plenty to do for new people. I would rather they take the time and effort on new content, than just changing current content.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Yes, I'm that kinda guy that gets pissed off when I see other people doing pointless shit such as throwing snowballs at eachother and wearing oktoberfest hats.
    You get pissed off at other people's enjoyment? Maybe MMOs aren't your thing, let alone events.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by ognomad View Post
    I was doing my daily MMO champion WoW news crawl when I came across this quote for the Warcraft holiday events.

In my opinion I feel this is a bad call, I look forward to Warcraft holiday events hoping something new and improved to see, do, or get. However time and time again I'm disappointed with the same tired quest lines and maybe a new toy added to the temporary content.

There's reason we humans look forward to our favorite holidays, if for our birthdays we only get the same gifts every year the day would get very stale and lose its excitement because we know what to expect every year (Oh! Gee, thanks it's the same thing you got me last year) I personally look forward to my favorite holidays because I expect to get, do, see something different every year.

Maybe because I've been play Warcraft for about 7 years, now I do not look forward to these events and kind of dread them, I would personally fall over if I saw something different for the upcoming holidays such as Hollow's end though Winter vile. Moreover not doing so makes the game feel static for Vet players like myself between patches, not having at least a change to the major yearly events makes them feel disjointed from the content and robotic....If you like yearly parade events, how many of you would go if the floats where the same?

While I do not agree with the birthday statement (it is about the experiences, not the gifts) I feel that they should put a little more effort into changing the holidays. We aren't asking for much, but the WoW holidays for some of us have just gotten incredibly boring. I've fought the Headless Horseman since BC, and though I do love him and still have my level 70 gear from him in the bank I think it might be time to change some things around. Of course Blizzard has changed some things throughout the years but they are largely negligible and seem to just blend together.

Not like we are asking for a lot, but maybe 1 good new holiday-centric quest per rotation, at least for the major ones, would be enough for me. I don't want to find Metzan anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I never cared for the holiday events. They've always been boring as heck, and up to a point often I found them annoying.

Yes, I'm that kinda guy that gets pissed off when I see other people doing pointless shit such as throwing snowballs at eachother and wearing oktoberfest hats.
    The more I see you post, the more sorry I feel for you, you seem to get very little enjoyment from anything in the game, to be angry about other people having fun seems really strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatog View Post
    So because YOU are bored with them, you don't think anyone else should have them? Childrens week still has a few rewards for me (cause I missed this years). I know people who haven't been playing very long to whom they still still be new. I can understand and sympathize with your position, but that's no reason to take the holidays out.

They are mostly getting stale for me too, just the odd and end I personally need and a few things I can sell to others. However, I agree with that statement. They're in a nice place right now, they're looking good, fun when new, and have plenty to do for new people. I would rather they take the time and effort on new content, than just changing current content.
    I'm not going to claim I know anything about Blizzard production resource or time allotted, It just seems holiday events fall into "dead time" between patches and it would be nice to look forward to a shot of excitement during these time to keep sub numbers up. Blizzard for me has stop making those excitement like items at Wrath of the Lich King and they can't seem to get their game back on track, this one of many reasons I unsubbed.