View Poll Results: what do you think of russia sending in warships?

Voters
182. This poll is closed
  • good move to save civilians

65 35.71%
  • bad move because it could lead to a conflict on accident

22 12.09%
  • russia wants to flex its muscles, maybe even start a small skirmish with the US

66 36.26%
  • other

29 15.93%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russ...-growth-annual

5 consecutive quarters of slowdown

1.6% in Q1, 1.2% in Q2

hardly booming
    That's called "consolidation" and every economy does it. It's a period that helps prevent an economy from growing too fast and imploding. Like we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    That's called "consolidation" and every economy does it. It's a period that helps prevent an economy from growing too fast and imploding. Like we did.
    Russia's GDP growth rate was 3.4% last year. Was that part of their "consolidation" too?

Improving growth prospects will be difficult with further increases in oil prices unlikely, capacity utilization similar to pre-crisis peaks, unemployment at a record low, an aging and shrinking workforce and declining oil production in the absence of large investments and new discoveries.
    Kaspar Richter
    World Bank Lead Economist for Russia

Russia's GDP growth rate was 3.4% last year. Was that part of their "consolidation" too?
    What's unhealthy about 3.4% in a recession?

Kaspar Richter
    World Bank Lead Economist for Russia
    As someone who deals with economic forecasts on a regular basis, I find that economists for the World Bank have an accuracy rate somewhere around Meteorologists. Russia has far more resources than just oil. Don't they span like 13 time zones?

Yes, the aging workforce is a problem. They're working on combating that... however brutal the tactics may be. That, however, is the only true problem facing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    What's unhealthy about 3.4% in a recession?
    Its not unhealthy but it could hardly be described as booming. The US had a 2.8% growth the same year.

Russia has far more resources than just oil. Don't they span like 13 time zones?

Yes, the aging workforce is a problem. They're working on combating that... however brutal the tactics may be. That, however, is the only true problem facing them.
    They're also a major gas exporter; but as the US begins gas exports that won't be safe either.

To clarify, Russia has maintained atleast 4 warships in the area. This is nothing new.

Nuke's only power is in their deterrence

I have serious doubts russia will be able to check the rampant corruption in their defense sector.

And russia does not and will not have the economy to be a superpower.

LOL....

I think this guy has been watching to many propaganda movies from the 50s. Stupid people like this really amaze me.

Have any of you actually seen the technological advances that Russia has? Their armor outclasses ours, their foot soldiers are on an equal footing to ours, they have absolutely MASSIVE oil reserves, just because they don't need to go attack other smaller countries like Iraq for the oil doesn't mean they're not a superpower.

We Americans are just brainwashed to think we're the "best", I'll tell you this, I do not want to see a war where Russia and the US are facing off. Would probably mean the end of the world as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldr45 View Post
    LOL....

I think this guy has been watching to many propaganda movies from the 50s. Stupid people like this really amaze me.

Have any of you actually seen the technological advances that Russia has? Their armor outclasses ours, their foot soldiers are on an equal footing to ours, they have absolutely MASSIVE oil reserves, just because they don't need to go attack other smaller countries like Iraq for the oil doesn't mean they're not a superpower.

We Americans are just brainwashed to think we're the "best", I'll tell you this, I do not want to see a war where Russia and the US are facing off. Would probably mean the end of the world as we know it.
    Please, Russia's military modernization is a response to its performance in georgia which exposed glaring deficiencies

fixt

/10

As amusing as you might think it is, Russia still is a potent world power. They have tons of nukes and if the US and Russia went to war then it would be on a cataclysmic magnitude. On the other hand, if Russia and the US had similar interest and help each other they could do whatever they would please with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by steale View Post
    To be fair though, the US spends as much on their annual defense budget as the top 25 or some such number's budgets combined. If budget is any indicator, an opponent who is a technological match should not exist.
    A large chunk of US annual budget goes into salaries / benefits / etc. R&D is barely 10% of the budget. More than other nations, yes, but not much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason why Russia is still brought up in conversations about "superpowers" is because the USSR wasn't that long ago and the have veto power at the UN. Everyone knows the real superpower of the world doesn't care about another countries veto powers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero412 View Post
    As amusing as you might think it is, Russia still is a potent world power. They have tons of nukes and if the US and Russia went to war then it would be on a cataclysmic magnitude. On the other hand, if Russia and the US had similar interest and help each other they could do whatever they would please with the world.
    I trully believe Russia and the US have always been the closest of allies, even during the cold war. Two powers controlling the majority of the northern hemisphere on this small planet, two wholly different socio-political experimets lasting several decades, which in the end resulted in two similar cultures idolizing similar ideologies. The small differences (same-sex, etc) are inconsequential.

In this fast-paced globalized world, their shared goals mirror each other. We should not fear one or the other, but question the mirror showing us the same person in reverse. As time passes, will we actually know the difference.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Russia was never a world power.

fixt

/10
    refixt

As amusing as you might think it is, Russia still is a potent world power. They have tons of nukes and if the US and Russia went to war then it would be on a cataclysmic magnitude.
    Having nukes doesn't make you a world power. It just means you have the potential to do something retarded.
    Last edited by Todgruppe; 2013-09-06 at 06:51 AM.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    by that metric France, UK, Pakistan, India, China, NK, and Israel are all world powers
    You realize that Israel has arguably the second strongest/technologically advanced military in the world, right?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

If they would just kill assad all this will be over. They never make the right moves. Serves both sides right if something happens. Just a bunch of idiots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    If they would just kill assad all this will be over. They never make the right moves. Serves both sides right if something happens. Just a bunch of idiots.
    Yeah, and who takes over? Another Asaad-supporter now desperate and fearful? Or someone from the Al-qaeda backed rebels?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russian energy pipe line gets blown on up on a yearly basis, because areas outside major cities are so bad, they are willing to do it for work. Feel free to read up how small towns outside capital cities are doing in the winter. Two weeks of especially harsh winter claimed 190 lives in 2 weeks last year.

Russian military is hugely underfunded and had their issues with Chechnya.

We are better than Russia, if you don't think so, their immigration policy is very welcoming to US defectors. Might even appear with Putin on TV, saying how much nicer it is.

You thought our elections were bad, read up on Kasparov running against Putin. You think our journalism is bad, check out how many Russian journalist were murdered during Putin's run, specifically Anna Politkovskaya.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

INB4 WWIII Flase Flag

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Russian energy pipe line gets blown on up on a yearly basis, because areas outside major cities are so bad, they are willing to do it for work. Feel free to read up how small towns outside capital cities are doing in the winter. Two weeks of especially harsh winter claimed 190 lives in 2 weeks last year.

We are better than Russia, if you don't think so, their immigration policy is very welcoming to US defectors. Might even appear with Putin on TV, saying how much nicer it is.

You thought our elections were bad, read up on Kasparov running against Putin. You think our journalism is bad, check out how many Russian journalist were murdered during Putin's run, specifically Anna Politkovskaya.
    I don't think it would be smart to start a war with the US with it's current armaments. It would be too devastating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero412 View Post
    Ukraine had the third largest amount of nukes in the world, before they chose to get rid of them. It only needs one, but Russia lost more nukes than Brittain and China had combined, when Ukraine split off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I don't think it would be smart to start a war with the US with it's current armaments. It would be too devastating.
    This isn't about war. It's a dick measuring contest. I'm just glad the black guy is on our side...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

While we develop smart technology russia builds stuff to level full blocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post

Rofl, US is not that far behind. Enbridge and a variety of other bitumen refinery subsidiaries are doing a number on your states and environement using substandard materials. Spills have never been higher in US history.

Harsh winter in the US most definetly takes many lives in the US as well, just undocumented.

I give you that your military budget is very well the largest ever, to the point that you are stealing from your own government and people to fill these black budgets for who the fuck knows what. Great job! I am feeeling very confident and safer by the hour...

The media and journalism in the US is pathetic, to the point that all major conglomerates filter out their stories till all news stations are uttering nearly the same jargon as their competitors.

Life is better in the US, at least the illusion of life. Hard work and determination has the potential to benefit any person no matter where you come from. Most top end, newly formed billionaires presently are not Russian or American.