Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. I tend to type a hell of a lot faster if I'm not trying to do those stupid tests - having to read something and then copy it. I know I type a hell of a lot faster than most people, and much faster than everyone I personally know. Granted, I ALSO try to use punctuation, proper capitalization and grammar, as well as copious usage of the backspace key. I also proofread anything I type before posting/sending it. Which is why it angers me so much when I see people who don't do any of that - if I can type at super fast speeds and my shit looks good, why can't yours? -_-;
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Eh, I type so much faster when it is my own words I am typing rather than transcribing something. I have gotten worse over the years though. In school I was at about 90 WPM, now I was only averaging 40! I could blame it on the hour and lack of sleep, but I think it is just out of practice, lol.
    It does feel a lot slower when I have to read something and type it out. My own words, I'm pretty fast.

Ugh 75 :/ yall win.

Mine is: Enough words per minute.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Depends on the test. On 10fastfingers I usually average like 110, on typeracer I average about 140. The difference mainly comes from the fact that typeracer is a story, whereas 10fastfingers is just random words one after another, and I type faster when I can easily read ahead and know what I need to type next.

10+ Year Old Account
    Around 40, I just type my own way most of the time. One pointer finger, both middle fingers, stuff like that are usually how I type.

I'm in the low 100s, 110-120 depending on the content. I want to think that so many people in here are lying, but I got my typing speed playing WC3, so... Maybe gaming really does help typing speeds that much.

And people say gaming is a waste of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    After playing 30 or so games I probably averaged 90.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arayaa View Post
    I'm in the low 100s, 110-120 depending on the content. I want to think that so many people in here are lying, but I got my typing speed playing WC3, so... Maybe gaming really does help typing speeds that much.

And people say gaming is a waste of time.
    I think the OP wanted people to try on that website first before posting their results and not just spouting what they "think" they can do.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Lots of people in this thread are probably giving their record. 80-90 is not average.

I type alot slower when i have to read and type a transcripted piece my record being 54 and about 30-40 on average, if it were a case of write as many words as you possibly can within a time frame it would be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    If you don't know try out typeracer.com

I'm at around 75 - 80; playing WoW for about 6 years really improved my typing.

Edit: Also if you guys know any jobs that require a certain amount of wpm I would like to know; just curious is all.
    I work for the Department of Justice in Melbourne as a court reporter. We do things very differently there though compared to most other places; typically court reporters will use a stenography machine to reach 300 words a minute or more, which takes years to learn, and you get the stereotypical mental picture of someone sitting in court next to the judge typing away (you should google how stenography machines work by the way, they're kind of amazing and deeply rooted in linguistics).

Anyway to answer your question we don't have a minimum words per minute requirement in Melbourne because we type everything delayed on a normal keyboard. You type remotely in teams of three doing 7 minute audio chunks, so you have 21 minutes to type 7 minutes of audio. DoJ switched to this system because qualified court reporters are hard to come by these days, and we tend to be more accurate than court reporters, who "summarise" a lot more than you would expect (but I might biased, haha). That's why we don't have a speed requirement. Anything sub-90 would be making life hard for yourself, but really a large part of the job is rewinding, muting microphones to catch what a witness says, rewinding again, isolating the barrister who's talking over them, just tinkering with audio levels. (When you're typing it live, you get none of that, if two people obliterate each other's words you just have to "(indistinct)" the both of them).

You also spend a lot of time on Google finding spellings of random words, which is my favourite part of the job. The first time you hear phenyl-2-propanone or something like "ignorantia juris non excusat", you just have to break it down phonetically pray to the Google "did you mean" gods.

Speed is hard to measure too. We cheat a lot, we use Word's autocorrect system to build fragments, you set it up so it corrects brd to beyond reasonable doubt, sub to submission, yh to Your Honour, imrs to in my respectful submission, that sort of thing. Once you have a good dictionary going you barely have to type anything...but it's a very job specific task, you get me to transcribe something non-legal and my efficiencies are out the window.

So long story short, if you live somewhere where they do things like this, it might be an option. It pays surprisingly well and it's an endlessly interesting job. A large amount of my work is drug trafficking and sex offences, so after years of this I can now say I might be able to cook meth, heh, and explain the finer points of consent law. Otherwise if they use stenography machines, you can go that route but it's a long study, it's at least two years before they'll let you in a court room.

Oh this turned into a long story! Hope it was interesting.

Eh, the test seems to be bugging for me, complaining about typos that are not there :s

10+ Year Old Account
    I average 180-190.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Deleted
    Average on 63. Though it feels harder to write off a text like that, think it go faster to write out of my mind so to say, but just might be me that is a slowpoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    I average 180-190.
    Lol, maintaining 170+ is a world record basically. Whole lot of bullshit in here.

I average 130 or so, can push 140+ if I want but mistakes might creep in.

9-1-1 / emergency dispatcher for 7 years.

"As of 2005, Barbara Blackburn is the fastest typist in the world, according to The Guinness Book of World Records. Using the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard, she has maintained 150 wpm for 50 minutes, 170 wpm for shorter periods of time, and has been clocked at a peak speed of 212 wpm"

And I've seen more recent typing competitions where the winners were pulling numbers like 163 WPM etc. This "I average 190" shit is just laughable.
    Last edited by Jaxsz; 2013-09-08 at 09:18 AM.

Deleted
    Just did a practice test on that site; 145wpm at 100% accuracy. I used to be a professional medical audio typist (the doctors and staff dictate and then give the files to the typing pool to write up the letters and reports) so I've had a lot of practice; although not so much in the last few years. It didn't require a WPM test to get that job though (for the person who was asking if jobs require a wpm), but speed was definitely a factor in how quickly you could get dictation typed up otherwise you'd end up working very long hours to get all your files done for the day. If we could finish everything given to us for the day we could go home early so that's an incentive to be quick about it... but still had to maintain 100% accuracy.

Deleted
    Depends on the size of the words >.>

Deleted
    Over 9000!

No really around 80-100, depends on my focuslevel that day

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Just did a practice test on that site; 145wpm at 100% accuracy. I used to be a professional medical audio typist (the doctors and staff dictate and then give the files to the typing pool to write up the letters and reports) so I've had a lot of practice; although not so much in the last few years. It didn't require a WPM test to get that job though (for the person who was asking if jobs require a wpm), but speed was definitely a factor in how quickly you could get dictation typed up otherwise you'd end up working very long hours to get all your files done for the day. If we could finish everything given to us for the day we could go home early so that's an incentive to be quick about it... but still had to maintain 100% accuracy.
    Wasn't it hard if they used medical terms? They seem like Volapük

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Lol, maintaining 170+ is a world record basically. Whole lot of bullshit in here.
    A lot of bullshit indeed. What people tend to do is post their best times doing some easy words typing test. Even then everybody in here seems to be in the top 0.01% fastest typists in the world .

I average 130 or so, can push 140+ if I want but mistakes might creep in.
    The whole point is that it's an average, mistakes are taken into account because you use the backspace key. I don't understand all this "I could go 20 WPM faster if I didn't make any mistakes" nonsense, duh.

PS. Learning Colmak here, up to about 50wpm average atm copying random book text which include lots of punctuation, slang words and random gobbledegook which is hard not like the average online typing test.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2013-09-08 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    114 wpm
    97.2% ...I am dissapoint, I used to be 160-180 WPM.