10+ Year Old Account

Almost fresh 90 DK alt, question about DPS spec preference.

So I have less than 2 levels to obtain. The question is what spec is easier in terms of learning from 0. I've always played ranged DPS classes and decided to look into the same situation from other point of view. In what spec it's easier to play from the beginning (If frost, DW or 2H)? I'm relying on pros here :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unholy seems to take more time to learn, especially "festerblight" style of gameplay.

2H and DW seem to be on the same level. Personally I prefer DW because I had trouble managing KM procs on 2H and lost way too much damage using it on frost strike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyzyr View Post
    Unholy seems to take more time to learn, especially "festerblight" style of gameplay.

2H and DW seem to be on the same level. Personally I prefer DW because I had trouble managing KM procs on 2H and lost way too much damage using it on frost strike.
    AFAIK, Unholy relies on DOT damage mostly, and that's the factor that pulls me off (I'm tired of managing dots on lock ). So, concerning Frost DW it holds mainly on Frost Strike/Obliterate damage I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    DW Frost dk relies mainly on Frost Strike and Howling Blast damage yes..
    You will have to apply 2 dots ( blood plague and frost fever ) but you can pretty much forget about them until they are about to fall off. ezpz

Festerblight is all but dead in 5.4 so you don't much have to worry about it being a dot spec. Unholy as a normal spec though is pretty awesome, you have a lot of nice powerful abilities, something that Frost lacks. Frost is fun as well, but you are more relying on your pure rotation compared to "hey pop a CD look at it's effect", which to me I really don't like.
    Since 5.4 is just around the corner, this is how they are breaking down so far (in terms of dps rotations since you are interested in that).
    DW Frost - Lots of HB, Frost Strike damage
    2h Frost - Dem Obliterates
    Unholy - Back to normal Unholy, powerful dots, fun shadow damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Festerblight is all but dead in 5.4 so you don't much have to worry about it being a dot spec. Unholy as a normal spec though is pretty awesome, you have a lot of nice powerful abilities, something that Frost lacks. Frost is fun as well, but you are more relying on your pure rotation compared to "hey pop a CD look at it's effect", which to me I really don't like.
    Since 5.4 is just around the corner, this is how they are breaking down so far (in terms of dps rotations since you are interested in that).
    DW Frost - Lots of HB, Frost Strike damage
    2h Frost - Dem Obliterates
    Unholy - Back to normal Unholy, powerful dots, fun shadow damage.
    Thanks for the feedback. And another question: Which spec from these two is more gear dependant?

Unholy relies much less on weapons then Frost. However in 5.3 as it is, Unholy relies heavily on Feather from Ji-Kun. In 5.4 it should go back to the normal of Frost being more weapon reliant and Unholy not being overly reliant on gear. There are nuances to it, but this is simplifying it a bit.

Deleted
    Frost is very easy to play in pve. Having less gimicks than unholy also means you have lower chances to use your abilities incorrectly.

My dk is frost for pve and unholy for pvp.

Frost is going to carry a lot more on demand burst on a much shorter CD than UH as well. DW will shine in instances where there are multiple add phases and 2H will pull ahead in instances were there is single target with minimal switching. Both frost specs are great for on demand burst.
    Always' Weak Auras - My Pastebin

DW frost w/ the 4 piece and the CD reduction trinket will be incredible. Gonna be a fun tier!