Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Doesn't sound as bad as in Vanilla. Vanilla required you to farm items from mobs, each item having about a 50% drop chance, sample 20 of them and you got 200 reputation. That's how it was for Cenarion Circle at least, and I'm pretty sure there was something similar with those Dark Iron guys.
    But at least with Vanilla you were grinding those mobs since the start of the game until the release of the expansion, which was about 2 years.

With newer expansions you're only grinding such things for 1 big patch (a few months) before it has become obsolete already. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    For anyone that's done the emporer's dailies, they'll have noticed they don't award reputation. When killing a Yaungol "one shot you and someone else who was just riding by" elite, you recieve a microscopic 18 reputation. Did Burning Crusade have any reputations that required killing elite enemies outside of a dungeon for dozens of hours at a time, or is this truly a very classical approach to gating?
    Did you forget we had the same thing with Black Prince rep? As for Burning Crusade closest was Sporeggar if you ignored handins and grinded it to neutral. Wrath/Cata didn't have anything. Otherwise closest thing would be raid boss grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    I did a lot of the Vanilla grinds when they were relevant. Cenarion Circle, Timbermaw, Argent Dawn, Hydraxian, etc. Shaohao, from what I could tell last night, is worse than most of them. The reputation gains per mob are about similar, but the time to kill each mob is astronomically higher, and the respawn rates are lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post

Honestly the Bone-White Primal Raptor grind was closer to Vanilla's. Shaohao makes that one look like Tranquilien by comparison.

This is how new mobs always are. Once you acquire more gear they'll go down quicker. Same happened with Isle of Thunder for most it took awhile to kill mobs and once they got more 500+ mobs went down quicker and quicker.

Virtually everything the rep grants is cosmetic, barring the (Rather sexy) mount at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am always OK with Vanilla-style grinding.

I have and always will prefer something monotonous but completely un-gated over any kind of daily or weekly rep grind.

If something takes a long time but has no limit to how long you can spend progressing it, I can leave it alone for 3 months until I work up the masochism required to caffeine-up and smash it out in a weekend.

By contrast dailies require me to do log in every bloody day and see a little bar go up in in tiny little piecemeal amounts. Any day I don't log in feels "wasted" and it always feels like a chore.

Man-hour-wise, daily progressing probably ends up being quicker than the old vanilla grinds. But to be honest? I hate having a video game tell me "OK. You've had your daily alotment of fun. Come back tomorrow".

TLDR: Shaohao's rep is awesome.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Did you forget we had the same thing with Black Prince rep? As for Burning Crusade closest was Sporeggar if you ignored handins and grinded it to neutral. Wrath/Cata didn't have anything. Otherwise closest thing would be raid boss grinding.
    Nope. Because it wasn't. Black Prince awarded rep from a ton of different mobs who happened to be of a certain species. You didn't have to fight Goda or Haywire every 10 minutes to earn rep with him. You just had to kill whatever was walking by at the time and there were a boatload of options to do so. I know it was probably just a simple reading mistake, but seriously I was very specific when I explained exactly what kind of things we had to kill for Shaohao's rep. Also Sporegar rep came from dungeon runs, too; if I'm not mistaken. Underbog, I believe.

This is how new mobs always are. Once you acquire more gear they'll go down quicker. Same happened with Isle of Thunder for most it took awhile to kill mobs and once they got more 500+ mobs went down quicker and quicker.
    Those mobs didn't have abilities they used every 5-to-30 seconds that caused "-25% hp in physical damage" or "500-600k fire damage." I've run IoT with four alts now, the mobs are painfully easy compared to the Timeless Isle. I like the Timeless Isle, mind you, but Kilnmaster Yaungol are like mini raid bosses. And no, I won't take that last part back. You're confusing "kill anything and everything" with "go fight the hardest things here and kill 500 of them for honored, thanks." Actually, I'm wrong. According to my calculator 500 isn't enough.