Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Galakras himself mechanics

Okay, we're annihilating the trash bosses and everything up until Gala, easy peezy. However when we get to gala himself we're getting annihilated. We tried stacking, and we tried getting into a line, and still we get destroyed. Some balls will come out and hit like a wet noodle. Others come out and hit like a truck. My belief is people are coming back in the group to soon, and not staying out long enough.

Someone said something about a debuff which when it goes through other people when it hits that it'll still hit like a truck. Everything goes great for the first 10 seconds, then after that the balls are landing and one shotting the raid.

I've read some stuff on here, but people are coming to a different consensus on how to do it. I would just like to see what some others thoughts are, or get more people who have done this to come to a general consensus on what to do. Dying to mechanics that you don't seem to grasp isn't fun.

Deleted
    Had the same problems. First few bombs went fine, but soon after they started hurting a lot more and raid kept getting lower.

We had the person targetted run to the back and everyone else stand behind the boss in a semi line to soak the dmg. We 2 healed it, don't know if others did and how they managed to survive it.

Hoping to get more luck on Sunday as we didn't have many attempts last night.

We just made a congo line and whoever had the bomb moved at the back, 3 healers, we outgeared it ofcourse so it just melted.

10+ Year Old Account
    We just made a ranged camp, where we had all healers and ranged, melee was in between the boss and this camp. The person who got targeted moved behind the ranged pack.

10+ Year Old Account
    We found it pretty tough as well and ended up 3 healing, but I think it was potentially due to lack of understanding with the orbs. The way we killed it:
    -----------------------------------------------
    Active tank
    XXXX
    Galakras
    XXXX
    Melee + inactive tank
    XXXX
    XXXX
    XXXX
    XXXX
    XXXX
    Ranged and Healers stacked up at close to max range
    XXXX
    XXXX
    Person targeted by the orb runs back here

------------------------------------------------

We were still taking a fair amount of damage with that method and it was hard to heal.

This is coming from a group with an average ilvl of ~545 or so - so I assume it can be handled better as normal only guilds on our server have cleared 9/14NM already as well! ->>>>>

We should have done this:

-------------------------------------------------
    Tanks
    XXXX
    Galakras
    XXXX
    Raid
    XXXX
    Player with Flames of Galakrond
    -------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Zabuzan; 2013-09-13 at 02:06 PM.
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Basically you're gonna do what Titansruler said, get in a line, whoever gets the thing on them runs to the back, you get a debuff. Keep in mind you CAN REMOVE IT. Iceblocks/diffuse magic, cloak, etc. our RDruid symbio'd our mage for Block to remove his, etc..so around 40%-50% you're gonna wanna clear your stacks (at least whoever can) so everyone is nice and safe and then just pop hero and burn him. Took us like 4-5 tries. We 2 healed it (mw monk/rdruid) and it seemed ok. You're gnna need other cds though. Demo banner, rally, avert harm, healthstones, etc..basically anything you've got @ the end.

Are you guys doing this in 10 man? My guild also has Phase 1 waves down to a tee but once Galakras comes down, everything goes haywire. We've tried forming 2 groups of ranged players, forming a line, all stacked on the bosses butt and it feels like nothing we do is very effective. When in a line, everyone gets the stacking DOT debuff from having it passed through them and it seems unhealable, even with 3 healers. Eventually it's just too much to heal and people are getting wrecked.

Here's how I understand the mechanic to work.. could anyone clarify if this is correct?

- Galakras targets a player and gives them a short ~5 sec debuff that tells them they are targetted by Flames of Galakrond.
    - After that debuff expires, a line forms and follows the player.
    - The player moves so the line passes through the raid.
    - The line then disappears
    - The ball forms and shoots in the direction of the line, following the path it was before it disappeared.
    - The ball passes through everyone the line did, giving everyone a stacking DOT debuff while reducing the overall damage the ball does when exploding.
    - The ball explodes.

My guild is 4/13 H in ToT and most of our gear level is ~530-540. We have been 3 healing it and wrecking phase 1 without issue every time. We get the boss to ~70% and then the healers are overwhelmed with damage and people start falling one by one. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Thanks to JustintimeSS for the awesome sig!!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are dying at 70%, then your healers must be doing something wrong or you aren't soaking many of the stacks at all.... or alternatively your DPS is very very low. We are slightly better geared than you guys and elected to pop Heroism at the start of the phase, the healing started getting sketchy at around 25%, that was without anyone dropping stacks as well.

We are also a 10-man guild.

I'd also be interested in clarifying exactly how the Flames of Galakrond mechanic works to be honest, the description given as to how to handle it on the Icy Veins guide worked, but it was really intense for us. Plenty of normal geared guilds got it on their first or 2nd time in P2, it took us 3 or 4 goes (brought in a 3rd healer after the first 2).
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Deleted
    The attack called "Flames of Galakras". Can someone tell me what it is? Looking at the damage that killed me, it must have been a frontal breath?

OT: Bring 3 healers and coordinate cooldowns. Just chain them as you would on Iron Qon phase 1. Damage is high and it only gets worse, as he gains stacks and also shoots his balls more often. We (ilvl 544) couldn't have stayed alive for much longer ourselves.

Just to clarify my above post. 70% is where it starts to get nasty for us. That's when I start calling for staggering raid CDs and I notice people start taking increasingly more damage. We're able to get the boss to 30-40% before it's a wipe but I'm at a loss on how to get through that last part of it.

Thanks to JustintimeSS for the awesome sig!!

I posted in a previous thread about how this works but there is still a lot of misunderstanding about the mechanic.

When Galakras debuffs a person with the hunters mark thing that connects you to him with a line, he tosses an orb at you. When that orb hits the ground, it will do damage inversely proportional to how many players the line went through. 0 people is full damage, all players is minimal damage.

Every single person in your raid needs to stack on one spot and one spot only, except tanks. When a person gets debuffed, that person runs out 10-15 yards behind the giant group of stacked players and waits for the debuff to fall off. When it falls off, the fire orb hits and since you're directly behind the group the line is passing through everyone and the explosion is minimal. Then you run back to the group. The fire damage increase debuff comes from the orb explosion. The only person who should ever get it is the person with the debuff and MAYBE the next person running out.

Stacking up in multiple groups is stupid. It's a lot of RNG on line splitting and a lot of RNG depending on who gets targeted with debuffs.

Splitting up ranged and melee is also stupid. It means your melee has to run absurdly far and will hate you.

Having people block and bubble the fire damage debuff is cool and all but your strat should not ever revolve around your entire raid having to manage this debuff. You're doing it wrong if that's the case. If you want to bubble off someone who got hit more than once or twice. Cool. If you want to bubble off someone who's too close and got hit. Cool. But your entire raid should not be getting debuffs.

It is a very simple mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent, that makes things a lot simpler.

Tanks
    XXXX
    Galakras
    XXXX
    Raid
    XXXX
    Player with Flames of Galakrond
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Yes, that's perfect representation (in text).

I was also completely misunderstanding this mechanic. I was under the assumption that the line just showed the path of the flame ball and when the ball was launched that is what everyone needed to be in the path of to help soak and get the debuff from, not the line itself. Thanks for the explanation!
    My hunter is the genetic love child of Liam Neeson, the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris. You lose.

<broken image snip>

My group was doing that strat perfectly, containing our own debuff stacks, but constant issues prevented us from downing him. Either our melee was constantly targeted or his stacks increased way to quickly to the point where we could not keep up with heals. Even with full heroic gear there was no possible way we would have downed him. Supposedly something has changed before the hotfix, since groups were having an easier job killing him before the changes on the 12th. Has any one heard of any bugs or issues with the boss?

The buff that Galakras gets should not be an issue if your entire raid isn't getting debuffed with +10% (stacking) fire damage taken debuff from the orb. That is the number one problem most people have is poor orb management.

The line actually does fire damage and is increased by Galakras' buff but even at +100% fire damage it's not even close to lethal and +100% is (100/3)*7 seconds into phase two, so like 3 minutes + and he should be dead by then. Healing obviously gets harder the later the phase goes on but most people are trying (incorrectly ) to brute force through the fire damage increase orb debuff and just can't do it. Heroic geared raiders from the previous tier can, but why when you can easily fix it

If you have logs I can analyze exactly why you're dying and who is not doing orbs properly

Soaking the orb from Flames of Galkarond does not increase your fire damage taken - it is a ~30k/sec dot that lasts for 15 seconds and stacks and is there to prevent everyone from being able to soak every single fireball. The damage increase as the fight goes on is from the pulsing fire aoe that galakras does - each pulse adds 2% to the fire damage from the boss, permanently. Our guild (4/13H last tier) cleared this fight last night after trying a few different strategies for soaking the fireballs.

The first strat we tried was just having a melee clump and then having ranged in a line behind them, debuffed player runs to the back of the line. Worked pretty well and we got it to 19% - the stacks of the dot start to get brutal with it never falling off.

We then tried a few different strategies involving a rotation of players to soak, but this causes too much movement and the fireballs come nonstop and it just made it more hectic than necessary.

We finally killed it on our first attempt with this strategy: we just designated a healing rain sized zone for everyone to stand in spread out evenly. Whoever got targeted by the line made sure it at least passed through at least a few people to mitigate the final explosion. Everyone just had to manage their stacks of the dot - anyone who had a stack of 3+ moved to the edge of the circle to let it fall off and purposely avoided fireballs until it had fallen off. This way the debuff gets spread around and more people get a chance of letting it fall off, but we still were able to ensure that each fireball would be soaked by someone. We also tank swapped at 3 stacks of the dot on the tank. Whoever isn't tanking needs to have the debuff fall off and needs to stand outside of the line of fire.

Good luck with this fight, it is definitely the first wall most groups will encounter - the next fight was a piece of cake and a much welcomed breather after galakras.
    Last edited by Brewstout; 2013-09-13 at 05:27 PM.

Whether the debuff is fire damage percent or a dot (I thought it was fire damage percent on ptr) the effect is the same. Spreading out serves no purpose. If you get hit with the fireball you get the dot. You don't want the dot so move the fireball out, pull the line through your whole raid and then move back in. Spreading out in a healing rain circles means you're just taking unnecessary debuffs. But if it worked for you, it works.

I guess I am confused, and I am not trying to be confrontational here, just trying to understand if there is a better way to manage this particular mechanic.

If you stack your entire raid up on a point behind the tank(s) and have the player that is targeted by the fireball move out behind the stack, doesn't every single player end up taking a stack of the flame debuff every time a fireball goes out? Or are you saying that you have the player move the path of the fireball out to the side of the stack and then move back in? I thought that if people aren't taking any stacks of the flame debuff, the resultant explosion from the fireball would be raid-wipe level damage, as it doesn't have a specific radius, it just hits the entire raid regardless of distance.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    We did what others have said when we had everyone in a line pretty much the person who had it moved back. it worked perfectly for us and we 2 healed. the damage was definitely intense but nothing pally/priest combo couldnt handle. there didnt seem to be consistency with the dmg coming from balls. we also managed to get the achieve which from what ive heard made it much harder since the npcs help during encounter (not confirmed)