Page 42 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I saw it, my first thought was Sphinx of Uthuun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, which originated from this card.

http://magiccards.info/in/en/57.html

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Man that is so good.

I want that horse to be useful so much. The whip is amazing in a lot of ways too.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    And heroic gets even better. Not to mention Tormented Hero. Fanatic of Mogis is also awesome. Trying to think of a card with a similar ability, but I can't think of any. I'm seeing it work well with a card like Ember Hauler. Yeah, that horse is weird. I guess in a casual or multiplayer setting, it can generate enough Trojan soldiers for you. The elk is good as a creature, but again, really high bestow cost.

- - - Updated - - -

So, um, Soldier of the Pantheon got lost and wound up in the forest of not-Ravnica: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1378826760

- - - Updated - - -

Ordeal of Purphoros was part of a 5-set, we got the others:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...5&d=1378872051
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...4&d=1378872045
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...3&d=1378872039
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...6&d=1378872058

All cool, really cool, but damn, just getting a creature to attack three times is gotta be hard.

Fabled Hero is liable to get way too big: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1378872839
    It also has funny flavor text.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agent of the Fates
    1BB
    Creature — Human Assassin Rare
    Deathtouch
    Heroic — Whenever you cast a spell that targets Agent of the Fates, each opponent sacrifices a creature.
    3/2

That might be my favorite card in the set right now. Cruel Edict every time I pump my guy? Yes please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another overcosted Monstrous card: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...8&d=1378929996

- - - Updated - - -

Why in the holy hell is this rare? It's terrible: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...9&d=1378958445

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Why in the holy hell is this rare? It's terrible: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...9&d=1378958445
    Firedrinker Satyr is amazing. It's better than Jackal Pup ([http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers...7974&type=card which has been a red aggro staple since time immemorial.
    Apocalypse, Juggernaut, Engine of War.
    Piercing your chest with pure hate.
    Twisting within the great heart of all things
    Exist only to obliterate.

And a playable hydra all day.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthDonut View Post
    Firedrinker Satyr is amazing. It's better than Jackal Pup ([http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers...7974&type=card which has been a red aggro staple since time immemorial.
    Jackal Pup is barely playable, and Firedrinker Satyr is terrible. Compare it to, say, Flamekin Brawler, also a one-drop. One turn two, you can attack with either. The brawler can be a 2/2 if you pump it, the satyr a 3/1, and you lose one life. On turn 4, you either have a 2/1 satyr attacking, or you can pay all your mana and 2 life to make it a 4/1. The Brawler can be a 4/2 for the same mana cost and no life loss. Nowhere is this a "good" aggro card. Maybe if the firebreathing cost was only one mana per power, but it's just really bad to add an extra mana cost to the firebreathing AND give it another drawback.

Oh well. Centaur Battlemaster is awesome, and blows away these Monstrous cards: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...7&d=1379045045

10+ Year Old Account
    Jackal Pup is barely playable, and Firedrinker Satyr is terrible. Compare it to, say, Flamekin Brawler, also a one-drop. One turn two, you can attack with either. The brawler can be a 2/2 if you pump it, the satyr a 3/1, and you lose one life. On turn 4, you either have a 2/1 satyr attacking, or you can pay all your mana and 2 life to make it a 4/1. The Brawler can be a 4/2 for the same mana cost and no life loss. Nowhere is this a "good" aggro card. Maybe if the firebreathing cost was only one mana per power, but it's just really bad to add an extra mana cost to the firebreathing AND give it another drawback.

Oh well. Centaur Battlemaster is awesome, and blows away these Monstrous cards: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...7&d=1379045045
    meh, life is not all that valuable, especially in red aggro decks. a 2/1 for R is already decent, and the firebreathing (although it probably could have been R: +1/+0) is a plus. the jackal pup drawback is marginal, really. It's a playable card, but I don't see it breaking formats or anything.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Rest of the set has been spoilered.

Ephara's Warden sucks. I'd rather have Minister of Impediments.

Setessan Griffin also sucks. And requires to be in a W/G deck.

Aqueous Form is insane. An unblockable creature with scry 1 when it attacks? perfect.

Meletis Charlatan. I think this beats Echo Mage.

Triton Tactics is freaking insane. +0/+3 for two creatures. And anything that blocks them is tapped and don't untap the next turn. For ONE mana.....

Insatiable Harpy. Haha, Vampire Nighthawk. Just sayin

Lash of the Whip. Because -1/-1 takes three mana? Come on. last Gasp. Even better, Urge to Feed.

Dragon Mantle. Holy crap. Guess Firebreathing wasn't good enough.

Vulpine Goliath. It's a 6/5 fox with trample. A fox.

Warrior's Lesson. Wow. It's Curiosity for green, for two creatures.

Horizon Chimera. I can't go on, my brain exploded.

Colossus of Akros. Merit Lage with trample instead of flying. Maphyturcjr

Flamecast Wheel. I think I'd rather have Blazing Torch or Moonglove Extract.

You should probably rethink the utility of cards such as jackal pup. They have been use a great deal lot in the past and match a particular niche of creatures.

10+ Year Old Account

Red face MTG question

Recently some of my cousins and me decided to get together and play Magic the Gathering. I use to play really heavy a few years back. But since I stopped playing I didnt keep up with the current cards and rules. They of course are all playing with the more recent decks and cards but none of them objected to me useing my older decks and cards.

So we where playing a game, and for this game I was useing my Artifact deck. Towards the end of the game I had the following combinations of cards on the table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bottle Gnomes
    Mana Cost:3
    Converted Mana Cost:3
    Types:
    Artifact Creature — Gnome
    Card Text:
    Sacrifice Bottle Gnomes: You gain 3 life.
    1 / 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mycosynth Lattice
    Mana Cost:6
    Converted Mana Cost:6
    Types:
    Artifact
    Card Text:
    All permanents are artifacts in addition to their other types.
    All cards that aren't on the battlefield, spells, and permanents are colorless.
    Players may spend mana as though it were mana of any color.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dross Scorpion
    Mana Cost:4
    Converted Mana Cost:4
    Types:
    Artifact Creature — Scorpion
    Card Text:
    Whenever Dross Scorpion or another artifact creature dies, you may untap target artifact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skeleton Shard
    Mana Cost:3
    Converted Mana Cost:3
    Types:
    Artifact
    Card Text:
    3, Tap or Black, Tap: Return target artifact creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mycosynth Golem
    Mana Cost:11
    Converted Mana Cost:11
    Types:
    Artifact Creature — Golem
    Card Text:
    Affinity for artifacts (This spell costs 1 less to cast for each artifact you control.)
    Artifact creature spells you cast have affinity for artifacts. (They cost 1 less to cast for each artifact you control.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So the issue in question is that I sacrificed my bottle gnomes to gain 3 life, at which point they went to my graveyard, I activate my Skeleton Shard, and pay 1Black Mana, and tap it to return my BG to my hand, Since my Golem is on the field I replay my BG for free. Now that they are back in play, There is nothing that seemingly can stop me from Sacrificing them again, which since they go to the graveyard, would cause my Dross Scorpion's ability to activate allowing me to untap a artifact I control. I choose to untap my Skeleton Shard, then I tap it again, paying my 1 Black Mana, to return my Bottle Gnomes from my graveyard to my hand and play them again for free. This becomes a near infinate loop since my Lattice allows me to use mana as thought it was any type. The only limit it seems to have is the limit to the amount of mana I have on the field.
    The question comes in at the point that I replay my BG to sacrifice them again. My cousins tell me I can not do this. I looked though all the rules I could find. I could not find anything that told me I can not use this combination. So Im asking all you out there, if someone knows for sure this is a invalid combination, or if someone can post rules, where is says I can not do this.

Thanks a bunch

Yes, that's absolutely fine. (Though a combo that requires a mana per iteration is not "near infinite" unless you have a "near infinite" amount of mana :-)

Exactly which bit of that were they complaining about? I mean, it doesn't make use of any obscure rules.

- - - Updated - - -

If they don't like 5-card combos that gain you 3 life per mana you have, they'd hate to see some of my decks...

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a decent combo, though not a real win condition combo. However, you were well within the rules to do what you did, and they werelikely just butthurt that you had bounced back.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    It is a decent combo, though not a real win condition combo. However, you were well within the rules to do what you did, and they werelikely just butthurt that you had bounced back.
    Likely this. Combos like that have existed in artifact decks for a long time now.

I never got a chance to put together the deck I wanted to try, but the main premise was this:
    Use forests and dual blue/green lands for mana

4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Weird Harvest
    4 Broodwarden
    1 Spawnsire of Ulamog
    4 Not of this World
    4 Fireball
    4 Intruder Alarm

Essentially, you use your Weird Harvest to get your Spawnsire and your BOP into your hand if you can't draw them. You use Intruder Alarm to create an infinite mana loop so long as you have any 3 mana tapping creatures (you tap 3 of them to generate mana and sacrifice one of the Eldrazi spawn to make 4 mana to summon 2 Eldrazi spawn. They come into play, everything untaps, endless cycle).

You either then overrun with Broodmothers, or cast a fireball for infinite damage, or summon all of your Eldrazi from the sideboard and overrun that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem with a deck like that is, you're gonna die around turn four, because all you can do until then is just play lands and wait.

15+ Year Old Account
    Problem with a deck like that is, you're gonna die around turn four, because all you can do until then is just play lands and wait.
    That's just the base of the deck. It can obviously be changed up a touch and have some other small creatures and things added to it. *shrug* it just seemed like a fun deck to play vs friends with, I never really thought of it to be of any worth in a tournament or anything.